PDA

View Full Version : New York in October

Gambit McCrae
08-31-2017, 08:17
I will be going to CT, NY and NJ for the first two weeks of October. Not used to hiking on the AT at that low of elevation, nor that far north so it has got my head scrambled of what gear choices I need to make to be comfortable.

The options I list are what I am questioning for the trip, and the gear I have available to bring.

Light puffy or heavy puffy jacket

30*, 15* down bag or 0* quilt

To bring down beanie and running gloves or not to..

Things I'm pretty well set on bringing...

Nike shorts and short sleeve shirt for walking
leggings for cold mornings, hiking during the day when needed, and at camp
2 pair of smartwool phd socks
dri-fit long sleeve for camp

2 cotton bandanas and a packtowel
a buff

Slo-go'en
08-31-2017, 08:51
October is a quirky month. Some days are really nice, others really nasty. In a 2 week window, your bound to get hit with a couple of cold, rainy days. It's unlikely you'll see frost, but it does look like an early fall this year, so hard to tell.

Another Kevin
08-31-2017, 10:54
October is a quirky month. Some days are really nice, others really nasty. In a 2 week window, your bound to get hit with a couple of cold, rainy days. It's unlikely you'll see frost, but it does look like an early fall this year, so hard to tell.

In late October, frost isn't all that uncommon. It's entirely possible you won't get any, but be prepared for it. I bring my 20° bag at that time of year, a beanie to sleep in, and glove liners at least. Leave the 0° gear at home.

I'd bring an extra long-sleeve shirt in case I wind up hiking in one. I do not sleep in wet gear.

It doesn't get much below freezing in October downstate, so a light puffy should be fine.

In an October rainstorm, what's your plan for raingear? The rain and wind can suck the warmth right out of you - perfect hypothermia weather. For the NY AT, I'd bring Dri-ducks, anything heavier is a waste. The trail is clear enough that Dri-ducks shouldn't turn to confetti. But if there's a driving rain blowing across the whalebacks in Harriman, I'll surely want something.

Gambit McCrae
08-31-2017, 10:58
Kevin Ill be bringing my OR Helium rain jacket, and haven't decided on rain pants or not. I usually just hike in my wet shorts and then have a dry pair to change into once in camp. Hiking all day in a full rain suit usually gets me just as wet as the rain would.

Another Kevin
08-31-2017, 11:18
Kevin Ill be bringing my OR Helium rain jacket, and haven't decided on rain pants or not. I usually just hike in my wet shorts and then have a dry pair to change into once in camp. Hiking all day in a full rain suit usually gets me just as wet as the rain would.

Yeah, rain gear is really more for wind than rain. I always struggle with condensation inside mine, but sometimes need it to stay warm anyway.

The worst you're likely to get is wind and rain in mid-30's temperatures. Bring what you wear for that kind of raw weather.

Just Tom
08-31-2017, 12:55
Should be some great hiking weather during the days, and probably chilly at night. I just checked some past hikes I've done in that time window. Two years ago I did a trip in CT the first week in October with a friend and it got down to the freezing mark at night. So 20 degree bag is a good idea. Daytime temps were in the 50s which I think are perfect for hiking as long as you can throw something on when you stop moving.

Gambit McCrae
08-31-2017, 13:20
I fully take advantage of October hiking each year. Last year the first frost of the year in southern PA was 10/10/16. I staying the Iron Masters Mansion that night.

Gambit McCrae
08-31-2017, 15:00
Anyone know of lodging in:
Pawling NY
Bear Mountain, NY
Unionville, NJ

I found 2 B&B's but a bit pricey and not my style. Looking for more of the mom and pop motel style

Old Grouse
08-31-2017, 15:45
Check with the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel in Fort Montgomery NY, just north of the bridge iteslf. Just for giggles, you could also check the price of a room at the Bear Mountain Inn, literally right on the AT. I doubt you'll find anything in Pawling to fit your budget.

Gambit McCrae
08-31-2017, 15:46
Check with the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel in Fort Montgomery NY, just north of the bridge iteslf. Just for giggles, you could also check the price of a room at the Bear Mountain Inn, literally right on the AT. I doubt you'll find anything in Pawling to fit your budget.

Bear Mount Inn is about 175 a night. We'll be staying at the Motel lol

NJdreamer
08-31-2017, 16:46
Not sure how close you want to be or how frequently to change places. I stayed recently at an Airbnb in Sussex, NY while day hiking NY section 11 (Route 17A to Arden Valley. For my sections, it was 50 minutes away. It is 17 minutes from Unionville per Google maps. It is a private bedroom with shared bath, although I only shared it with fellow hikers from my trip, with large sunroom to relax in. Cost me $72 total for 2 nights.

Slo-go'en
08-31-2017, 20:03
Unfortunately, there isn't much to be had through there. Neither Pawling nor Unionville has accommodations listed in my guide. Airbnb might be your best option and with any luck they will shuttle you too.

Deacon
08-31-2017, 21:27
Bear Mount Inn is about 175 a night. We'll be staying at the Motel lol

You may or may not know this but the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel doesn't have very many rooms (maybe five?). You'll want to all ahead for a reservation.

I planned to stay there but it was full, and had to stay at the Inn! Youch!

Gambit McCrae
09-01-2017, 07:55
You may or may not know this but the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel doesn't have very many rooms (maybe five?). You'll want to all ahead for a reservation.

I planned to stay there but it was full.

I think I remember hearing this but would have forgotten if you hadn't mentioned it. I will call them 2-3 days up the trail and see about getting a room. Hopefully will be there prior to the weekend, and have better chances at getting a room.

Gambit McCrae
09-06-2017, 12:30
looks like Wingdale, NY is on the same road crossing as Pawling. But they have a motor lodge, whiskey store, and this BBQ place I want to stop at.

rafe
09-06-2017, 12:54
Be prepared for almost any kind of weather, daily highs could be 70+, or just as likely, around 40. Or anywhere in between. I'd be most concerned about cold rain.

jfarrell04
09-06-2017, 13:05
If you're talking about Big W's BBQ joint, I highly recommend it. We've dined there twice on our section hike trips up that way.

Just Tom
09-06-2017, 13:41
looks like Wingdale, NY is on the same road crossing as Pawling. But they have a motor lodge, whiskey store, and this BBQ place I want to stop at.

Big W's is supposed to be awesome, I've got co-workers that travel from central CT just for that BBQ.

Old Grouse
09-06-2017, 16:01
Big W's is supposed to be awesome, I've got co-workers that travel from central CT just for that BBQ.

Dang!! How could I have missed that? I know where I'm going this weekend!

Gambit McCrae
09-26-2017, 16:46
Well here I am 3 days from leaving on the biggest trip of my hiking career, and I think I got everything squared away. The weather could not look better looking at the Salisbury, CT 10 day forecast. Even though it isn't forecasted to get below 40* for week 1 or 2 weeks, I am still bringing my 15* bag "just in case". Looks like fall colors are not in yet, but hey cant win them all. Bringing 5 days of food, with hopes of picking up as many grinders and pizzas as I can and stretching that 5 days of food for atleast 8 days before having to resupply.

I found that Wingdale has a motor lodge whereas Pawling does not. So will be stopping in there however Big Ws is closed on MOn, Tue so will prolly miss out on that :(.

Halfway point of the trip is Bear mountain Bridge and will be staying at Bear Mountain Motel with a backup plan of a close by hotel (crossing our fingers on that one).

our 3 stay for the 16 day trip will be north of high-top, I forget the name of the city but I believe there is a hostel around here with free pickup/ dropoff from NJ23. Looks like a nice place.

Slo-go'en
09-26-2017, 17:50
October is the new September.

After a false start to fall (all of a couple of days), it's been back to summer up here in northern NH. The lack of rain for the last month or two and the warm temps have resulted in a lack luster foliage season here. Many leaves are just drying up and falling off the trees. What color there is, is very muted. Hopefully the cold front promised for later this week will bring some relief, but not much of any rain. 60's days, 40's night would be nice for a while.

Even at the best of times, water can be scarce in NY, so hope that isn't a problem for you.

Gambit McCrae
10-13-2017, 09:29
Well we did it. 206 miles in 11.5 days. CT, NY, NJ complete. Sitting at the bakery in DWG this morning to my first cup of coffee in 12 days. Ill be doing a detailed trip review when I get home yes slogoen water was a real issue in NY, and NY can keep their agony grind lol

rafe
10-13-2017, 09:36
Well we did it. 206 miles in 11.5 days. CT, NY, NJ complete. Sitting at the bakery in DWG this morning to my first cup of coffee in 12 days. Ill be doing a detailed trip review when I get home yes slogoen water was a real issue in NY, and NY can keep their agony grind lol
Congrats! But seriously, you could have found coffee if you'd wanted it bad enough ;)

Nobody likes Agony Grind.

Gambit McCrae
10-13-2017, 09:38
Congrats! But seriously, you could have found coffee if you'd wanted it bad enough
Nobody likes Agony Grind.

I had coffee with me, just took a break from coffee while on the trail. Gunna walk around in PA till sunday flight home

Just Tom
10-13-2017, 09:39
Awesome, glad to hear it! Glad you had a better experience then the last time you were hiking in CT, I recall you got pretty sick after I ran into you on Bear Mountain in Salisbury.

Gambit McCrae
10-13-2017, 10:12
Awesome, glad to hear it! Glad you had a better experience then the last time you were hiking in CT, I recall you got pretty sick after I ran into you on Bear Mountain in Salisbury.
That i did. This trip was a great deal better! Took a nasty fall yesterday on some wet rocks, cracked my head on a rock, cut my finger pretty good but it buffed out pretty well only fell about 4 ft down into the bushes