PDA

View Full Version : Three Weeks and Counting

tawa
08-31-2017, 14:34
Planning on hiking Shenandoah the last week of Sept.
Currently in descent shape but have not been backpacking much throughout the summer.
How would you spend the last three weeks training before I leave.

Also please advise on clothing gear and equipment for this section during the time of year mentioned above?
What would you leave behind and what would you take?

Gambit McCrae
08-31-2017, 14:47
I am currently spending my next 4 weeks prior to 16 days on the trail the same way I spend all my time off the trail, working - studying some on trail areas, drinkin beer and shooting pool. Hiking and paddling on the weekends.

Clothing, you should be fine in VA with shorts and tshirt for hiking, I would bring a light down puffy jacket, maybe a beanie, 30* bag for the nights. Rain jacket and if your going to have a dry set of clothes to change into in the evenings, I wouldn't worry about rain pants.

Things I would leave at home would be much of anything that I couldn't see myself needing on a daily basis. That is a self taught subject.

GoldenBear
08-31-2017, 15:11
> How would you spend the last three weeks training before I leave

Walk up & down stairs to ensure your legs are in the best possible shape. Don't go for speed, go for endurance. Start small, and then work yourself up to more repetitions, being careful never to overdo it.

moldy
08-31-2017, 17:13
Physically there is nothing you can do for a hike that starts in 3 weeks. That ship left port months ago. So, don't hurt yourself attempting to do some last minute heroics. Go for a walk every morning. Gear I would take. 20 degree bag, rain jacket, puffy jacket.

rocketsocks
08-31-2017, 17:16
I'd walk like crazy for 2 weeks and 4 days...then don't do a thing for 3 days, you'll fly down the trail.

MuddyWaters
08-31-2017, 20:23
Physically there is nothing you can do for a hike that starts in 3 weeks. That ship left port months ago. So, don't hurt yourself attempting to do some last minute heroics. Go for a walk every morning. Gear I would take. 20 degree bag, rain jacket, puffy jacket.

I dissergree.
Can you run...start running is what Id do
not enough to injure knees or ankles though, slow, steady
Else start hiking with a pack
uphill is good
every little bit of pain now, takes away some pain later