PDA

View Full Version : Grafton Notch Loop current water situation

cmoulder
09-01-2017, 18:52
Anyone have any recent experience?

Doing it soon clockwise from the south end of the loop.

egilbe
09-01-2017, 19:22
Not recently. Only place its really sketchy is North of Puzzle Mountain. Up to Bald Mountain, it follows a brook. Sunday is forecasted to rain, so it should be good. I'm going from Gorham to Old Speck and then counterclockwise to the South trailhead on the Western side of the GNLT, either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Slo-go'en
09-01-2017, 19:32
Mid week looks to be like good weather, even on the warm side. More rain Thursday as the next cold front slides by.

1azarus
09-01-2017, 21:16
Anyone have any recent experience?

Doing it soon clockwise from the south end of the loop.

...you are gonna absolutely love it -- tough and beautiful. and that's just the AT part!

cmoulder
09-02-2017, 05:58
Ok thanks. I was basing my bit of concern on this map (https://caltopo.com/m/QN5J#) which seems to indicate a significant stretch before a water source whether going clockwise or counterclockwise from the south.

However, when looking at the topo and the satellite image it seems there are some drainages that might have water since it has not been so dry this year.

@1azarus, we keep reading that! Actually my friends who live in MA suggested it for later in October but I suggested (and after a bit of research they had the idea at about the same time) to move the date up because it might well be snowing by then. Around here, it feels like an early fall is in store. We are driving up Sep 10 and starting the hike. They are not as fast as you and there is a lot of uppity-downity so we will probably make it 4 days... slow down and smell the spruce, lol. :)

LoneStranger
09-02-2017, 07:06
Just did the GLT last month so my info is slightly outdated, but should still hold up for the most part. You should find some water in the lower part of the brook that runs down the Bald Mtn part of the trail but it was already mostly dry by the time I reached the campsite there. I didn't duck into Sgt Brook site, but that usually retains a small flow. The Slide Mtn site was very low flow, but still running. Bull Branch had pretty good flow and was where I spent my first night. There were a couple of other small flows running, but those tend to dry up first. Coming down Old Speck the falls were barely flowing and heading up to Baldpate LT the flows were very small including at the shelter. On the other side of East Baldpate there was more water in the channels, though it was raining all day that day so hard to say what it looked like before that. The brook you cross before heading up Puzzle to the Stewart campsite (Chase Hill?) was running fine, but brown when I went through. No real water between there and the brook coming down the other side of Puzzle.

I started with enough to get me through to Bull Branch, loaded up there with enough to get to Baldpate LT, then took half a day's supply from there and reloaded near Lane. I dragged a full bag of water up to the Stewart site which was enough to get me down the other side of Puzzle the next day. I am glad to see I am not the only one who goes clockwise, as most everyone else seems to go the other way. Good luck, have fun and take pics :)

cmoulder
09-02-2017, 08:02
Great info — thanks!

Nice side benefit to CW direction is that it ends at the parking area... I hate road walks, even short ones, at the end of a hike and like to get them out of the way first whenever possible.

red5
09-04-2017, 05:56
This info is recent. There is plenty of water right after your beginning road walk all the way to Bald Mtn campsite. Fill up before you leave the campsite as you are going to finish climbing Bald Mtn (steep), Stowe (very steep) and WR White Cap (relatively easy). I am unsure about water at Sargent Brook as I continued on past but I warn you that many of the smaller creeks that were flowing in mid summer are not anymore.

There was water at the Slide Mountain campsite. I am not sure about Bull Run though as I hiked past it without stopping.

The map shows a stream at the north trailhead of Route 26 but that was where I began my hike and I just plain don't remember it being there.

There is a lot of water in the low areas between Baldpate and Long Mountains. Fill up before heading up Long Mountain as it is pretty until the col between Long and Puzzle Mountain. Town Corner had a trickle in July which I am guessing is dry now.

There is a stream at the col between Long and Puzzle and it is flowing. My guide says it is of questionable quality (I have no idea why as it appears to be near the source. And the map you provided does not even list it as a source. I filled up but did not end up using the water as I dumped it once I got to the Bald Mtn area.

Anyways that is the last water source until the south trailhead on Route 26. The camp at Stewart is definitely dry and there is nothing else coming down the mountain either.

If you have any Q's don't hesitate to ask.

red5
09-04-2017, 06:00
Oh I forgot, there is a stream going down Old Speck near the end.

It rained a lot yesterday so that will help. You'll be fine as long as you fill up when you have the opportunities.

cmoulder
09-04-2017, 07:57
red5, that is superb info... Thanks a bunch!

Forecast is for more rain showers this week so base on your and LoneStranger's info we should be A-OK.

I was pretty confident that those water sources marked on the caltopo map weren't the only ones but it's nice to have it confirmed someone who's actually been there. :)

Slo-go'en
09-04-2017, 11:03
Looks like the weather is going to be pretty crappy from tomorrow afternoon through next weekend. I guess a front is going to stall over us. Good luck, the Grafton loop is not a trail I'd want to be on in crappy weather.

cmoulder
09-04-2017, 11:53
... then a dry stretch after that, which is when we plan to be there. :)

Hoping that the weather forecast is accurate!

LoneStranger
09-04-2017, 11:57
Looks like the weather is going to be pretty crappy from tomorrow afternoon through next weekend. I guess a front is going to stall over us. Good luck, the Grafton loop is not a trail I'd want to be on in crappy weather.

You got that right! I did the section from West Baldface to Stewart campsite in the rain last month and while it wasn't the worst I've hiked in, it was a hike to get finished rather than enjoyed. Thankfully I did the slabs and ladders before they got really wet so it wasn't terribly dangerous, just a long wet day.

Of course if you are still out there when it clears up there are some rewards...
(Puzzle Mtn the next day)

cmoulder
09-04-2017, 12:49
If it appears it's going to be totally $#itty we'll have a rain date...

Yep, I've done steep, nasty stuff in in the rain in the Catskills (Devil's Path) and it ain't a lotta fun!

Slo-go'en
09-04-2017, 14:19
I've never been to the Catskills, but the Grafton loop is not for the faint of heart! But there are some fantastic views along the way :)

In the mean time, I think I'll head out now for an overnighter while the weather is still good.

Berserker
09-06-2017, 12:14
I just did the AT through there last week, and all the water sources on the map were flowing as well as some additional unmarked ones.

Slo-go'en
09-06-2017, 14:39
The rain moved in last night and it looks like it will linger for a few days, so I doubt lack of water will be an issue. Slippery rocks and mud maybe though.

I was above tree line on Mt Adams yesterday while the front was moving in. Got knocked around in 40 to 60 MPH winds. Saw about 6 SOBO hikers trying to walk into that wind heading towards Washington (Lakes). I hope they made it, I could hardly stay upright when a stronger gust hit. At least the rain held off until after dark, it could have shown up much earlier.

cmoulder
09-06-2017, 14:47
Thanks for the further water updates.

I kinda figured that with the amount of precip we've had lately, and this year in general, that it wouldn't be a problem.

egilbe
09-06-2017, 15:57
After all this rain, you will have a difficult time not finding water. :D

Just got back from a Gorham to Grafton Notch section of the AT. Our first plan was to hike down the Grafton Notch loop trail to pick up our car we dropped off there Saturday morning. The storm and the terrain squashed that plan all to ****. Fortunately, Miss Janet was napping in the Grafton Notch parking lot after we climbed down from Old Speck and was gracious enough to give us a ride back to Puzzle mountain. The trail provides. Thanks Miss Janet.

I wouldnt worry about water at this point in time, and probably not for the forseeable future.

Slo-go'en
09-16-2017, 17:12
Just back from the Loop hike. Water was sufficient. I'd guess not more then 5 miles at most between places where you could fill up along the trail.

There was a car with NY plates in the parking lot and looks like they were one day ahead of us by the foot prints in the mud. I'm guessing it might have been cmoulder.

cmoulder
09-17-2017, 05:40
Just back from the Loop hike. Water was sufficient. I'd guess not more then 5 miles at most between places where you could fill up along the trail.

There was a car with NY plates in the parking lot and looks like they were one day ahead of us by the foot prints in the mud. I'm guessing it might have been cmoulder.

The Caravan was mine. Sorry we didn't see you and Rafe. We took it slow and really soaked in the sights. What an absolutely fantastic loop, and it didn't hurt that the weather was perfect and there were no bugs.