PDA

View Full Version : hiking shoes for wide feet

bstiffler
09-02-2017, 18:31
I have really wide feet and have tried a bunch of different shoes. It seems if I find anything that fits my forefoot, my heel ends up swimming around because the heel cup feels too big. Ive tried salomon shoes and they do alright but are a little over padded for me.

Deacon
09-02-2017, 18:38
The Merrill Moab trail shoe has a good wide forefoot and narrow heel.

Also look at Keens. I haven't worn them but in trying them on, they also have room in the forefoot.

lesliedgray
09-02-2017, 18:57
I also have wide feet... with a bunion thrown in.. i bought a pair of Salomon XR Missions two years ago... i wear them nearly every day.. they have yet to hurt me..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muzzo909
09-02-2017, 19:19
Take a look at Keen Targhee II. Great boot!

saltysack
09-02-2017, 20:05
Altra

Deacon
09-02-2017, 20:18
Altra

Yeah I meant to list Altras as well.

Toolumpy
09-02-2017, 20:55
I didn't care for the Keen Targhee II mids as I could not tighten up tight enough, first time I got blisters.

wayside_mn
09-02-2017, 21:56
Oboz sawtooth. Very wide toebox and excellent orthotic insoles come free!

muzzo909
09-02-2017, 23:12
I didn't care for the Keen Targhee II mids as I could not tighten up tight enough, first time I got blisters.

Man that stinks. I never had a problem with them. Boots are definitely something you should try on first to see how they fit.

bstiffler
09-03-2017, 05:33
Oboz sawtooth. Very wide toebox and excellent orthotic insoles come free! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at those online but a lot of the reviews had negative comments about their durability and some people saying the soles start to come apart in a couple of weeks. Have you had any problems with them?

Decibel
09-03-2017, 07:38
The Oboz Sawtooth have been the most comfortable, longest lasting trail shoe that I have ever owned. No issues with durability at all. I plan on using My Oboz Bridgers on my upcoming Cohos Trail thru hike. I highly recommend the Oboz brand.

rusty bumper
09-03-2017, 10:08
Merrill Moabs have worked very well for my wide feet...on my 5th pair.

wayside_mn
09-03-2017, 11:26
I looked at those online but a lot of the reviews had negative comments about their durability and some people saying the soles start to come apart in a couple of weeks. Have you had any problems with them?

I've only got about 50 miles on them but they are very comfortable and supporting. I have a lot more miles on the Traverse model but they don't support as well and I need a 1/2 size larger whereas the Sawtooth fit at my normal size with room my toes to splay. I have 3 pairs of Oboz and have never had the sole separate. I also weigh north of #250.

BlackCloud
09-03-2017, 12:02
L.L. Bean full leather Cresta hikers require zero break in time, are well priced, last a long time and come in wide sizes.

Shae
09-03-2017, 13:36
Yeah I meant to list Altras as well.

+2 on Altras. Have had good luck with Merrill Moabs over the years but tried Altras recently and they are my go to shoes now.

AllDownhillFromHere
09-03-2017, 13:36
The Oboz Sawtooth have been the most comfortable, longest lasting trail shoe that I have ever owned. No issues with durability at all. I plan on using My Oboz Bridgers on my upcoming Cohos Trail thru hike. I highly recommend the Oboz brand.

I put over 300 PCT miles on a pair, and I'm still wearing them now. They look almost no worse for wear. Nice wide toebox, although not as wide as the Altras.

Lauriep
09-03-2017, 17:43
I have super wide feet (I wear mens 4E) and New Balance over the long haul have worked best for me. In '87 I wore a pair of New Balance running shoes for most of the Trail, and I've worn various NB hiking or walking shoes (I don't think they make any specifically for backpacking) in most other states--including Maine and New Hampshire--on my section-hikes. With a good insert they've been just fine. I've had a few pair of Keens that worked great (ones a little longer than I needed to get the width), but lately they have been too narrow.

TTT
09-03-2017, 19:33
My feet are also reasonably wide. After scratching about I finally settled on some Salomon X Ultra Prime. I bought a size up, but a size and a half up might be the long term ideal. My heels were also slipping in other shoes. These ones lock my feet in firmly with laces.

wiiawiwb
09-03-2017, 22:15
I have a pair of the Altra Lone Peak 3.5. I tried them hiking once and will never do that again. I have used them for trail running on non-technical trails and they were ok. In my experience, they rolled too easily which created an opportunity for an ankle problem. I can not recommend them on uneven or rocky surfaces.

Having said that, I would give the King Mt a try to see what their support is like. It has a Vibram bottom which might tie things together a bit tighter. If not substantially better, they'd be relegated to trail running too.

I have a pair Ahnu boots which are light and have ample room in the toe box. Not the easiest brand to find and they happened to show up at a local hiking store. I lucked out there.

Deacon
09-04-2017, 06:06
I have a pair of the Altra Lone Peak 3.5. I tried them hiking once and will never do that again. I have used them for trail running on non-technical trails and they were ok. In my experience, they rolled too easily which created an opportunity for an ankle problem. I can not recommend them on uneven or rocky surfaces.

Amazing how a pair of shoes serves people so differently. I wore a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.5's all the way through New Hampshire and Maine this summer, and found them very good on rock. They are my new "go to" shoes for summer.

Then again I have strong ankles anyway.

sfdoc
09-04-2017, 12:44
I've been wearing the Keen Durand boot foe several multi-day hikes. One pair of Darn Tough socks. No blisters. 1st pair of boots that didn't punish me.

devoidapop
09-04-2017, 14:32
Have you tried hiking in 3 strap sandals, like Teva? They are much more adjustable than a lace up shoe.

QiWiz
09-06-2017, 11:15
I have super wide feet (I wear mens 4E) and New Balance over the long haul have worked best for me.

+1

me too - if you like the NB shoes you try, you might want to buy additional pairs because by the time you need to replace them, NB will have replaced them with a different model - drives me crazy . . .

Gambit McCrae
09-06-2017, 12:05
+1000 for altra. never met someone that did not love them