PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Peroxide vs. Rubbing Alcohol

casanoah
02-03-2006, 18:42
What do ya'll prefer to stock into your first aid bag, Hydrogen Peroxide or Rubbing Alcohol (or perhaps something else?)? What are the pro's and con's? Does it even matter?

Just wanted to know what ya'll thought, thanks again!

Hikes in Rain
02-03-2006, 19:35
Neither. I use plain old soap (Ivory, because it has no perfumes or additives) and water. All you need for most cuts. If it starts to show signs of infection (none of mine ever have), get thyself off the darned trail ASAP, to the nearest emergency room or clinic for real treatment!!

Doctari
02-03-2006, 21:52
Neither. I use plain old soap (Ivory, because it has no perfumes or additives) and water. All you need for most cuts. If it starts to show signs of infection (none of mine ever have), get thyself off the darned trail ASAP, to the nearest emergency room or clinic for real treatment!!

I second this!

My MD said he read a study that suggested Alcohol & / or Peroxide may do more harm than good. I carry neither on the trail, but use peroxide at home, habit I guess, that & I love to watch it bubble :bse

Doctari.

Smooth
02-03-2006, 22:13
casanoah,

Neosporin + pain relief in a cream base.

I started out with alcohol, but found that I needed only the Neosporin. A little overkill for most things but I only wanted to carry what I needed.

I used it for blisters, cuts, rash, chaped lips, even to lube a zipper once. I carried a couple of single use packets with me and I had more in the bounce box. This was one of my most often sharred items as the other Thru-Hikers figured that they did not need any.

aaronthebugbuffet
02-03-2006, 22:32
neosporin and duct tape, my complete first aid kit

Footslogger
02-03-2006, 23:23
Inside my first aid kit I have a tiny screwtop nalgene bottle and I carry hydrogen peroxide along with a few q-tips to clean out wounds/blisters.

'Slogger

SideWedge
02-04-2006, 11:14
Its useless to carry hydrogen peroxide if its not in a light-proof bottle (ie. not in a nalgene). Light causes it to break down, rendering it useless. Also, it kills everything, good and bad, so its often better to not use it at all.

bogey
02-04-2006, 11:20
I've not read that about alcohol or peroxide, but I have read it about the prevalence of hand sanitizers, so I guess the same logic would apply. If what you're using on a regular basis isn't killing ALL the germs, the ones that survive may develop a resistance to the cleansing agent, in effect becoming stronger bugs.

Smile
02-04-2006, 11:31
Neither. If you must carry one, an alcohol packet is small and light, and easy to manage. Then you can get to town if you need med. help.

Footslogger
02-04-2006, 12:54
Its useless to carry hydrogen peroxide if its not in a light-proof bottle (ie. not in a nalgene). Light causes it to break down, rendering it useless. Also, it kills everything, good and bad, so its often better to not use it at all.
=========================
Agreed, but the tiny nalgene is at the bottom of a dark colored pouch and does not see daylight unless I pull it out for use.

'Slogger

teachergal
02-04-2006, 16:58
Little known use....hydrogen peroxide will get blood out of fabrics - including hard to clean stuff like carpets, drapes, and believe it or don't mattresses....learned that trick from a gal I knew who was in hotel management and she had a messy murder take place in one of the rooms (I am NOT kidding....)

mweinstone
02-04-2006, 17:47
wash germs away with soap, dont kill them and leave them.the tissues around the cut are killed by this crap slowing healing. never kill germs. wash them away alive. this leaves the skin ready to start healing instead of exasorbating the situation by adding killing agents.you big fat murderer. get off this sitew and dont come back till you've thrown that stuff out. love ,..matthewski.

Kerosene
02-04-2006, 17:49
Liquid soap and a few antiseptic wipes for sterilization. Neosporin for infection prevention.

Toolshed
02-04-2006, 18:28
Also keep in mind...
HP will not only kill bad germs, but all bacteria it touches - even the good stuff. I find it is better to use it in the event of an infection, rather than as a first course of action.

neighbor dave
02-04-2006, 18:45
tea tree oil

hustler
02-04-2006, 19:17
I carry denatured alcohol and duct tape.

DLFrost
02-06-2006, 02:43
Inside my first aid kit I have a tiny screwtop nalgene bottle and I carry hydrogen peroxide along with a few q-tips to clean out wounds/blisters.
Same here, but for another reason: I have lousy teeth and carry a repair kit in case of a dropped filling or other problem. Hydrogen peroxide can be reduced up to 10/1 and still be effective for dental irrigation. The same goes for flushing out wounds. (The smaller syringes sold for giving infants medicine make good irrigation syringes. The plastic precision-gluing tips sold in hobby shops fit right on to the end of 'em.)

Rubbing alcohol is, by comparison, wasteful because much of it is water.

For day-to-day use I carry soap (a chunk of Dr. Bonners Tea Tree bar) and the generic 1oz. tube version of Neosporin that Wallgreens sells.

Doug Frost

greentick
02-06-2006, 04:39
I second (or third) the no HP/Betadine/or alcohol on open wounds. Kills and or denatures all tissues and can (eventually) make a better environ for bad stuff.

Soap and treated water to clean open wounds. The more irrigation the better with some moderate pressure. You could probably have someone push on your hydration bladder and with the bite valve off get some decent pressure.

Neosporin ointment is a good general purpose item. Wound care and good for monkey-butt.

Betadine/HP/or alcohol on unbroken skin, for example if you are going to bust a blister or an abscess or give an injection.

In the ER I currently do wound prep with betadine and sterile saline at a 1:10 mix. I will also use this for irrigation of dirty wounds. Be careful, the person may not like you anymore after using this combo - it burns.

If you carry moleskin try to get Tincture of Benzoin. It is a sort of surgical glue to enhance the adhesion factor of moleskin or steristrips. Just don't get it in the wound. I have watched people drain blisters with a needle and then inject tincture of benzoin back into the blister (this was in the army not in the ER). I think this is how break-dancing was invented.

Toolshed
02-06-2006, 10:17
....In the ER I currently do wound prep with betadine and sterile saline at a 1:10 mix. I will also use this for irrigation of dirty wounds. Be careful, the person may not like you anymore after using this combo - it burns.

I carry a small eyedrop bottel filled with saline solution, for such issues, but I think I will pop the top and refill it with your mixture instead.

If you carry moleskin try to get Tincture of Benzoin. It is a sort of surgical glue to enhance the adhesion factor of moleskin or steristrips....
Capital Sugggestion - Thanks!!!

orangebug
02-06-2006, 10:52
How about a third and fourth choice?

3) Alcohol gel as used for hand cleansing. Fairly lightweight and multiuse.

4) Iodine from your PolarPure bottle. Same bleaching action as with peroxide, but easier to store and apply.

Peroxide can damage injured tissue, hence plan on diluting it. It is probably just as well to use a water irrigation to remove visible debris (a bladder and tube are good for this) and use of a basic antibiotic cream is sufficient until you can get to town and better care for it.

Smooth
02-06-2006, 13:30
Thanks Geeentick,

You sound like the only one who knows what they are talking about, including me!

sparky2000
02-06-2006, 13:40
The concern expressed - "get to town..." Many towns have cars to take you to help that is very far away and expensive to get to - $40.00. Bottom line is, if a wimp go to Disneyland.

greentick
02-06-2006, 13:54
...If you carry moleskin try to get Tincture of Benzoin. It is a sort of surgical glue to enhance the adhesion factor of moleskin or steristrips....

Sorry, it was late when I posted. An addendum - let the tincture of benzoin dry before applying the moleskin etc. It will get tacky when it is ready.