09-03-2017, 11:08
1. They support hostels by paying full price and scheduling their stays
2. They support a lot of shuttle services
3. They leave a lot food in hiker boxes
4. They have knowledge of sections you may have not completed yet
5. They can give insight to why people get off the trail
6. Perserverence over many set backs
7. Experience
8. Many also play trail angel at the end of their hike with rides etc.
9. They love the trail
10. They are nice people

MuddyWaters
09-03-2017, 11:28
Why you should love thru-hikers

windlion
09-03-2017, 12:26
Why I love thru hikers

1. Regardless of the original purpose of the Trail, the thru hikers are the ones who capture widespread admiration. This gives trail advocacy groups more political leverage to hold back encroachment by developers.

2. Thru hikers have had the time to build up a body of knowledge about hiking that we all can critique and adopt when it fits our style.

3. They often have tips about regions that section hikers plan to tackle in the future. Whites and Smokies come to mind.

4. Their motivation level is a reminder to sections that, hey, another fifteen mile day is nothing, really.

5. At their best, they are wonderfully enjoyable people to engage in conversation ... thinking of you, Wrong Way, Pikachu and Mouse, Sparks and Bushy.

Crowding on the Trail is a problem, yes, and respect for Trail culture is also. We can learn from each other, and enjoy it all together.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Old Hiker
09-03-2017, 12:27
Hopefully, OP is tongue in cheek. Met many section hikers in 2016 I was impressed with, others not so much. Not going to tar ALL of them with the same brush, so take the below with a couple tons of salt. ALL my opinion.

Otherwise:

As did I, EVERY time and I've made donations after the hike as well. Not bragging, just sayin'...

As did I.

As did I as I realized that even though I was low and slow, I couldn't carry all the food and/ or supplies I bought because of the size of the package.

And pretty much EVERY question I asked: from water to camping to Trail conditions seemed to be wrong. From distances ( I grant you - I can't really tell after 6-10 hours of hiking where the last water may or may not have been or the last flat spot I saw to camp on.) This may be for a couple of reasons: I only remembered the wrong answers or they wanted to seem knowledgeable. I also had section hikers and "maintainers" flat out LIE about camping locations ahead of me, causing me to stop earlier than I should/could have.

How? I think a thru-hiker wannabe who HAD to stop (me in 2012) would be a more reliable source than someone who stops voluntarily after a set number of miles and/or bad weather they don't want to walk in.

Seems that a LOT of section hikers (maybe day hikers?) would tell me they quit after a day or two or rain/snow/climbs whatever.

7. Experience

Now I'm fully into the snark zone: yes, 100 or 150 or even *gasp* 200 miles in GOOD weather during the summer is the experience I need to hear about.

Got me there - I was so beat up and burned out, I took a down day before I could move to the bus to get outta town.

9. They love the trail

Got me there too - too many bad experiences with bad Trail layout (my opinion), I'm no longer donating to the ATC or any Trail organizer club. Kudos to those who still will.

10. They are nice people

Wouldn't know. Never was around them long enough to really get to know them. Not sure who MANY of them were.

rocketsocks
09-03-2017, 12:38
All hikers matter

MuddyWaters
09-03-2017, 12:49
All hikers matter

But equally?

rocketsocks
09-03-2017, 12:52
But equally?oh gosh no :D

Puddlefish
09-03-2017, 12:57
I can't say I noticed any difference between section hikers and thru hike attempt'ers. Doesn't really matter if you divide the trail into one section, two sections, or twenty sections, or just a day hiker out for an afternoon. It's all just people out on the trail in their free time.

The only consistent thing I noted was varied nature of the hikers on the trail.

MuddyWaters
09-03-2017, 13:36
If someones a jerk off the trail
They are a jerk on the trail as well

You will run into a few, no matter where you go or what you do.

saltysack
09-03-2017, 15:53
HIKER LIVES MATTER[emoji38]. A weekend or a month who gives a $$$$!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
09-03-2017, 16:40
11. Because we've done more than one trip on the A.T. ;)

Traveler
09-03-2017, 16:53
"All hikers are equal, but some hikers are more equal than others" George Orwell (with apologies)

TTT
09-03-2017, 17:08
Section hikers should only be allowed to hike during the hurricane season

KDogg
09-03-2017, 17:27
Hmmm...after all, what do you call a failed thru hiker?

MuddyWaters
09-03-2017, 19:55

The majority

TTT
09-03-2017, 20:19
Following the progress and then the abrupt termination of thru hikers on Youtube seems to confirm the above statement

RockDoc
09-03-2017, 22:06
We're all Section Hikers. Some sections are just longer than others.

Hatchet_1697
09-04-2017, 10:22
Met some awesome through and section hikers over the years, and a few not so awesome ones too -- usually the ones who leave a trace or feel entitled because they are a (fill in the blank)-hiker. It's the person not what type of hiking they do. Different goals, different styles, different challenges, same trail. HYODH and enjoy it.

The way I see it the AT and all the trail support (hostels, outfitters, shuttle services, etc.) would not survive without day, section, and through hikers. Each brings support to the trail in their own way and no group alone can sustain it. There are plenty of threats to the trail (development, etc.) and solid usage, awareness, and its historic lore as an American Icon will keep it there for our kids/grandkids.

Section hiker on the 10 year plan, see you out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Curious G
09-04-2017, 11:31
7. Experience
9. They love the trail
10. They are nice people

11. There are 3 million of them every year on just the A.T. Versus (let's say for the sake of argument while rounding up and combining north and south bounders) 6 thousand thru hikers every year of like what - 3 of 4 go home? That means that 4,500 of 6 thousand thru hikers are actually section hikers too. So in other words - or numbers - the A.T. is the only place on earth where 1,500 people (though actually less) outnumber 3,004,500 people (though probably more) in terms of perceived importance. I'm guessing that ignoring 3 million people and catering exclusively to about 1 thousand is an incredibly successful business model. No wonder the Conservancy and everybody else it seems these days out there is passing the hat.

TEXMAN
09-04-2017, 14:17
Hopefully, OP is tongue in cheek. Met many section hikers in 2016 I was impressed with, others not so much. Not going to tar ALL of them with the same brush, so take the below with a couple tons of salt. ALL my opinion.

Otherwise:

Actually I was being serious. As a failed thru hiker who has completed 2026 miles so far, my point of view is every section hiker isn't a novice but we get stereotyped as novices .... that's why I always grow a 2 week beard before I get to the trail ...then I get more trail cred

kestral
09-04-2017, 15:39
Hmmm, I can't grow a beard, being a lady hiker. Perchance that's why I get little respect?

But seriously, I learned a long time ago that self respect beats the supposed respect of some stranger who doesn't know me or my background. Older females are somewhat invisible, being perceived as slow, stupid, not having any usable information or argument, and not on the sexual radar. Actually this ain't always a bad thing because I can skirt around most disagreements and HMOH. (Pun intended)

Curious G
09-04-2017, 16:39

Actually I was being serious. As a failed thru hiker who has completed 2026 miles so far, my point of view is every section hiker isn't a novice but we get stereotyped as novices .... that's why I always grow a 2 week beard before I get to the trail ...then I get more trail cred

Man that identifier is terrible and a symbol of the weird world that caters too about 1,000 people and discards about 3,000,000. I can think of a lot things that can actually be failed but hiking? I mean really? College, relationships, jobs, winning a contest of skill where there is actually a prize, swimming the channel, topping Everest, understanding the electoral college, and so on but come on hiking? Isn't that counter the point of taking a walk in the mountains? Isn't it supposed to make you feel better about yourself. So in other words the A.T. is the crusher of dreams. The failure factory. Come see a lovely part of the country, hike in amazing places, meet amazing people, and you too can go home calling yourself a failure. Sounds really appealing. Maybe it should be called the Appalachian Drag. Count me out. I hiked a big section of the A.T. (after figuring out the MST is a hoax) extended my vacation never hiked out of VA and drove up it for a while and feel like a winner. It was amazing. It was awesome and I feel like a success. The only thing I feel like I'm failing at is understanding the so called trail culture.

Last Call
09-04-2017, 16:48
Thru-hikers are the lifeblood of the Trail, they are out there giving their very life to the Trail at much personal sacrifice.
Many times I have sat captivated at a pic-a-nik table listening to a thru-hiker hold forth, they just have an air of majesty about them....

Curious G
09-04-2017, 16:59
Thru-hikers are the lifeblood of the Trail, they are out there giving their very life to the Trail at much personal sacrifice.
Many times I have sat captivated at a pic-a-nik table listening to a thru-hiker hold forth, they just have an air of majesty about them....

God, I hope that's satire!

Zea
09-04-2017, 18:00
the only difference in the two groups is how long they plan on being on their hiking vacation

Hikingjim
09-04-2017, 18:11
there are disagreeable people in any grouping. There are strong section hikers that are great people, and there are pathetic thru-hikers who are an embarrassment to the trail. And of course the opposites in both groups...

there is no denying that hostels and many services can only run because of the mix of thru and section hikers. Many section or day hikers drop a lot of $, slack pack, use LONG shuttles, etc. So this is mutually beneficial for any hikers that want these services present
For those that want a more wilderness experience (any hiker!), then crowds of any type can be an annoyance

MuddyWaters
09-04-2017, 18:39
The real issue is NOBOs vs SOBOs.

SOBOs are the real hikers, and all around better humans.

They are better-looking too.

Pinnah
09-04-2017, 18:50
Z'all good. I'm not even a section hiker. I'm a New England local red lining the Whites.

Did a a long weekend trip from Gorham to Grafton Notch playing hop scotch with a jovial band of thru hikers. They told their stories of the AT the first 2 nights. On the last night, Old Speck, they heard our stories of 20 years of year round trips in the Whites.

Different situations. Different relationship to the trail and trails. No need to be better.

HYOH.

Hatchet_1697
09-05-2017, 00:15
I have a lot of respect for thru-hikers, but saying "Thru-hikers are the lifeblood of the trail" is extreme. According to the AMC in 2016 out of the estimated 3,377 thru-hiker attempts, 685 completed. That's 0.02% of the estimated 3,000,000 people who use the trail each year. Kind of puts it in perspective. ...Heck I have more than 0.02% Neanderthal DNA in me!

One clear advantage section hikers have -- some of them bring very good scotch to share around the fire ;)

Traveler
09-05-2017, 07:00
The groups that organize volunteers and individuals who take on maintenance responsibilities of the trail and its structures are the backbone of the trail.

linus72
09-05-2017, 09:49
HYOH, the only competition we should be having is within ourselves. everyone's circumstances vary. many section hikers would love to be thru hikers but they have jobs and families they can't take 4-6 months off from.

Sarcasm the elf
09-05-2017, 09:50
Whalebacks are the true backbone of the trail.

linus72
09-05-2017, 09:50
well except FKT hikers, i don't get that at all ... lol

rafe
09-05-2017, 10:58
I started as a weekend warrior, graduated to thru-hiker-wannabe, and have settled back into section hiker, weekend warrior and even day hiker mode.

I really do admire the fortitude, gumption and good humor it takes to finish a thru hike.

OTOH as a section hiker, the AT isn't just a one time deal, I'm back to it every year, almost every season. I get more freedom to see it on my own terms.

Old Hiker
09-05-2017, 11:19
The real issue is NOBOs vs SOBOs.

SOBOs are the real hikers, and all around better humans.

They are better-looking too.

No wonder I was turned around after 100 meters going south-bound. Too Fugly to head south. They never told me !!!!

hikernutcasey
09-05-2017, 14:56
I am a section hiker that has taken roughly 7 years to complete 1,360 miles of the A.T., soon to be 1,472 later this month. As others have said, there are bad apples in both groups. What I find funny is when I was doing sections in the south and had way more trail miles than the freshly minted thru hikers that were just starting out, they would quickly dismiss my feeble efforts of being "only" a section hiker and proceed to tell me all about what it is to be a thru hiker. Then inevitably at some point it would come up that I've done over 1,000 miles or whatever I had completed at the time and their entire attitude would change. They then started asking me questions!

On the other hand, now that I am doing sections in the north when I run into thru hikers we have this mutual respect for one another. Both of us have put in a lot of miles and have the trail at 2/3's to 3/4's finished. I respect them for making it that far and they respect me for the years of coming back to the trail for a week at a time to make the same distance.

rocketsocks
09-05-2017, 15:39
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but..."lotsa moanin' goin' on" :D

Odd Man Out
09-05-2017, 16:16
On all of my section hikes, I had some extra Starbucks Via to share with the thru hikers. They were not unhappy.

Another Kevin
09-05-2017, 16:17
I adopted the 'Clueless Weekender' moniker after hearing some thru-hiker-wannabee on this site yammering about how all the clueless weekenders were spoiling his wilderness experience.

I think that probably tells you where I stand on the subject.

Thru-hiking is a fine way to enjoy the trail, and thru-hiker stories can serve as an inspiration to others. But thru-hikers are NOT the lifeblood of the trail. If anyone is the trail's lifeblood, it's the folk with clippers and saws and McLeods and rock levers who put in countless hours with the maintaining clubs. The people who lobby with parks departments and zoning boards and local landowners for corridors and easements. The people who draw the maps.. The people who fund the land purchases for conservation easements.

The people without whom there wouldn't be a trail.

Hatchet_1697
09-05-2017, 17:15
I'll 2nd, or 3rd that the trail maintainers are the true lifeblood of the AT, much more than us who just walk it.

evyck da fleet
09-05-2017, 17:36
Yep, I've met a few jerks on the trail that needed self validation. Some were thrus some were sectioners but none were trail maintainers. Always say thank you.

Emerson Bigills
09-05-2017, 20:02
I hiked weekends and sections of the southern AT for 10 years. Like many people, I had a fascination with thru hikers and relished getting to talk with them upon the few times I ran into them on the trail. The reality is that I was not an exception. For the ten years I did short term hikes, I would come back to work and talk about my days in the woods. People would listen for a couple minutes and then want to talk about youth sports or yard care. Most folks that don't hike do not really care that you spend a few days in the woods walking and sleeping on the ground.

After coming home from my thru, I have friends, neighbors and people I hardly know seek me out to congratulate me on the "accomplishment". I rarely bring it up, but so many people are just intrigued by the thought of spending months in the woods and hiking over 2000 miles. I find myself getting question after question about my hike. I'm the same guy I was (just a few pounds lighter) when I was hiking on weekends. Most of what I needed to know, I learned from those weekend/section hikes and I sadly have to admit, from this site.

Being an early starter, I can honestly say I never saw a drunk thru hiker, or any thru hiker being an ass. I saw a few losers, who were not thru hikers who were moving on the trail and using the trail culture to benefit their laziness and slothful lifestyle. I don't doubt there are some bad behaviors within the bubble. As a thru, I saw several Lashers and section hikers that knew more than I did and were just better hikers. I also saw some novices who would tested my patience. As a NOBO, by the time we got to Maryland and had to deal with the Flippers and got to ME and had to start dealing with the SOBO's, we were focused on our own group and our shared focus on finishing. While section hikers sometimes could add value by giving information about sections we were about to hike, their perspective was always suspect. The closer I got to Katahdin, the less I asked SOBO's for any information at all. I just wished them luck and admired how well they smelled.

Carl7
09-05-2017, 20:20
Whenever I meet a thru-hiker as a section hiker, I always dread the inevitable question where I have to indicate I'm a section hiker. I'm always hoping the revelation will not change the mood of the conversations, but so many times it does to my disappointment. Many thru-hikers are really missing out on some great friendships, conversations, etc. when they just wholesale write-off section/day hikers. Any trail time is good time.

MuddyWaters
09-05-2017, 20:57
Whenever I meet a thru-hiker as a section hiker, I always dread the inevitable question where I have to indicate I'm a section hiker. I'm always hoping the revelation will not change the mood of the conversations, but so many times it does to my disappointment. Many thru-hikers are really missing out on some great friendships, conversations, etc. when they just wholesale write-off section/day hikers. Any trail time is good time.
Birds of a feather, flock together.

Even on shorter trails.

rafe
09-05-2017, 22:23

I haven't noticed being "written off". Your hiking cred doesn't mean all that much to the thru hikers you meet.

Understand that thru hikers share a common quest, have been following each other for weeks or months, share the same storms, weird hostel stories, trail personalities, etc. Doesn't matter if you're Colin Fletcher or Andy Skurka, it still doesn't make you part of that community.

I've seen this from both sides. At camp, it's not a problem. We understand each other.

rocketsocks
09-05-2017, 23:28
It's all about the walk, matters not where it takes place or how long it takes to get there.

Skyline
09-05-2017, 23:40
I noticed some thru-hikers weren't eager to let section hikers or weekend warriors into their cliques. Not all of course. But it happened numerous times at shelters, viewpoints, in towns--even at Trail Days.

The opposite didn't seem to be as true. Most non-thrus I encountered treated everyone about the same.

Like elsewhere in life, there is a pecking order on the AT.

shelb
09-05-2017, 23:44
We're all Section Hikers. Some sections are just longer than others.

Thank you!

shelb
09-05-2017, 23:50
I noticed some thru-hikers weren't eager to let section hikers or weekend warriors into their cliques. Not all of course. But it happened numerous times at shelters, viewpoints, in towns--even at Trail Days.

Interesting you say that.... I section hiked this year and met a great group of people who embraced me as Tramily! Rock on The Jamison Crew!!!!!

They told me about one of their "members" - a young lady who had to get off the trail somewhere before HF to help a parent. When that gal got back on the trail around HF area, Thru hiker groups did not accept her... She ended up upping her mileage - and hiked 20 plus mile days for weeks in a row until she met up with her original crew 0 and had tears of joy when she saw them.

Oddly enough, I met her just before she caught up to them, and we got along great! Sadly, there are clicks on the AT. Please, try to "be nice." to all.....

TTT
09-06-2017, 06:20
That's not a hiking problem but a social problem

rafe
09-06-2017, 08:32

The opposite didn't seem to be as true. Most non-thrus I encountered treated everyone about the same.

Like elsewhere in life, there is a pecking order on the AT.
Sometimes thru hikers won't even let other thru hikers into their cliques. BTDT. It's one of the reasons I quit my attempted thru, way back when.

MuddyWaters
09-06-2017, 09:33
Sometimes thru hikers won't even let other thru hikers into their cliques. BTDT. It's one of the reasons I quit my attempted thru, way back when.

But if you let everyone in then it's not a clique anymore!

Here's a way not to care... Out hike them , you never see them again.

slammer
09-06-2017, 09:57
I think the splitting of people into imaginary groups is ridiculous. Everyone who hits the trail is lucky to be out there. Every through hiker is a broken ankle from being a "section hiker" and every one of us are one cancer diagnosis or car accident from the grave. Arrogance is one of the worst of human failings and I believe this entire subject is based off of it.

gwschenk
09-06-2017, 10:48
I'm just a hiker. Do people really get torqued about classification?

Lnj
09-06-2017, 11:19
I'm just a hiker. Do people really get torqued about classification?
Exactly. I think it must depend on the reason you are hiking. If its for the social aspect, then yeah I guess the popularity contest would affect your hike directly. If its about the woods and walking and listening to your own mind ... you wouldn't even notice the it at all, and if you did notice, you wouldn't care at all.

Offshore
09-06-2017, 11:23
Section hikers should only be allowed to hike during the hurricane season
Better yet, limit access to the AT to US citizens only from February to November. After all, it's a national scenic trail that we pay for with tax dollars. (I'm kidding, TTT - hopefully you are too...)

rafe
09-06-2017, 11:40
I could relate all sorts of stories about these thru hiker cliques. They form, re-form and dissolve in a heartbeat. Very few last the length of the trail, most not even a few hundred miles. They might be just a pair of hikers or a large group. Hikers travel together as long as they can or as long as the group or partner meets their needs, goals, hiking style, mileage, etc.

Mostly they're not even formed consciously... it's just a matter of seeing the same people again, night after night, for days on end at breaks, viewpoints, road crossings, trail junctions, etc. Suddenly someone you've been seeing for a while doesn't appear any more -- either forged ahead, dropped back, or jumped off, for a day or two, or forever. Suddenly someone appears whom you've never met before, just catching up, or perhaps falling back, for whatever reason.

The cliques are fleeting and short-lived, but while they last, the bond is strong, and can't really be shared that much with section hikers. It's not that section hikers are disrespected, more that the thrus are On Their Own Journey at the moment.

Berserker
09-06-2017, 11:59
7. Experience
9. They love the trail
10. They are nice people
Cool post. In my personal experience (10 years of sectioning so far):
1. Yes, gotta have some cash to section and I don't mind using it :D
2. Lordy do I know this one...spent lots of money on shuttles, and appreciate the service.
3. Yep.
4. Yep, and not just the sections but often times the surrounding area (i.e. what's in town, places to eat and stay, etc.).
5. Seen a lot of this over the years.
6. This is probably the biggest one when stretching doing the whole AT out over many years...life often "gets in the way".
7. Often times in many differing weather conditions and things of that nature (not just the experience from one season).
8. Gave several rides on my last hike...even gave a dog a ride.
9. Most of the time...sometimes it sucks :p
10. In general most sectioners I have met really love to hike, and aren't out there just to finish the AT.

zig-zag man
09-06-2017, 12:01
Interesting you say that.... I section hiked this year and met a great group of people who embraced me as Tramily! Rock on The Jamison Crew!!!!!

They told me about one of their "members" - a young lady who had to get off the trail somewhere before HF to help a parent. When that gal got back on the trail around HF area, Thru hiker groups did not accept her... She ended up upping her mileage - and hiked 20 plus mile days for weeks in a row until she met up with her original crew 0 and had tears of joy when she saw them.

Oddly enough, I met her just before she caught up to them, and we got along great! Sadly, there are clicks on the AT. Please, try to "be nice." to all.....

The way I look at it, I'm a clique of one.

Berserker
09-06-2017, 12:03
Ha ha, I've noticed this with some thrus. My "trail cred" usually is established after about 2 days when I keep up with the same pack of thrus. Not sure if I'm going to be able to rely on this much longer though as I'm slowing down in my "old age".

MuddyWaters
09-06-2017, 12:06
Better yet, limit access to the AT to US citizens only from February to November. After all, it's a national scenic trail that we pay for with tax dollars. (I'm kidding, TTT - hopefully you are too...)Well, since top 10% of wage earners pay 90% of taxes, and bottom 50% pay under 3%, we would need to prorate access accodingly......

rafe
09-06-2017, 12:08
Ha ha, I've noticed this with some thrus. My "trail cred" usually is established after about 2 days when I keep up with the same pack of thrus. Not sure if I'm going to be able to rely on this much longer though as I'm slowing down in my "old age".

That's just it -- the only cred that matters is the cred you "earn" by being there, night after night. And in that regard, there's no diff between section and thru hikers.

Berserker
09-06-2017, 12:10
This is why every time I see one of these "go fund me" campaigns I am one of the first to donate. They need to be supported because if it weren't for these brave individuals there likely wouldn't even be an AT.

nsherry61
09-06-2017, 12:30
Personally, I don't think thru-hikers deserve any special trail cred. Okay, maybe trail cred, but not outdoor cred or life cred.

Thru hikers have walked away from the hard part of juggling life for an extended, relatively responsibility free walk along a well marked, well traveled trail with regular access to other people, comfortable amenities and food, and they generally do it in easy months for travel, skipping off the trail when the snow falls.

What's so special about a thru-hike?
To take it a bit further, what's special about a thru-hike of the AT, which of course is just a section hike of the international AT.
Or, what's so special about a thru-hike of the JMT, which is, of course, essentially a section hike of the PCT?
Was Andrew Skurka's Great Western Loop hike less than a thru hike because he finished where he started?

And frankly, I don't get this whole "section hiker" ID either. Is it a section hike when you do an overnight along a trail that other people hike the full length of? If I do a 3 month hike of 3/4 of the AT, does that make me a section hiker whereas two weeks on the JMT makes me a thru-hiker? Is there really any difference whatsoever at all then? . . . In which case, why is this even a conversation?

nsherry61
09-06-2017, 12:39

I hope you are being at least a little sarcastic!

Thru-hikers are NOT the lifeblood of the trail, trail maintainers are the lifeblood of the trail. Long trails were there before thru-hiking was a thing. Long trails will be there regardless of whether there are thru-hikers hiking them or not. Thru-hikers USE the trail, they don't create it, they don't typically maintain it in a significant way. They are users like 3rd graders are users of a playground. Without the 3rd graders, all the other kids would still play and the playground would still be there.

Thru-hikers are a wonderful and colorful part of trail history and culture. They are not critical to it or the center of it, just a great part.

Berserker
09-06-2017, 13:11
And frankly, I don't get this whole "section hiker" ID either. Is it a section hike when you do an overnight along a trail that other people hike the full length of? If I do a 3 month hike of 3/4 of the AT, does that make me a section hiker whereas two weeks on the JMT makes me a thru-hiker? Is there really any difference whatsoever at all then? . . . In which case, why is this even a conversation?
It's semantics and there has been great debate over this over the years on here.

A thru hike is when a trail is completed (entire trail is hiked from one terminus to the other in whatever configuration the user prefers) in one contiguous trip (i.e. there are no large time gaps when hiking it).

A section hike is when one plans to complete a trail (entire trail is hiked from one terminus to the other in whatever configuration the user prefers) over a period of time doing it in multiple pieces. The key here is one is actually planning to complete it. If there is no plan to complete it then one is just out hiking the area.

Those are my definitions and I'm sticking to them :D.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2017, 13:16
From my point of view as a section hiker, I've grown to understand that a lot of thru's are well intentioned,
but have grown simply tired of answering the same ten questions and having effectively the same conversation with people every night. Once I stopped asking the so-called T-Shirt questions* right off the bat, I found that I got a much warmer reception from long distance hikers.

There is also a certain art and flow to bull*****ing around a campfire with strangers. Making sure not to act like an interviewer or worrying too much about so called "hiker cred" and instead just relaxing, listening, and contributing almost always results in a good time.

*Does anyone have a picture of the Tshirt? I can't find the link/

grubbster
09-06-2017, 13:18
We humans always want to classify things with labels. Always have, always will. Yet some people are blind to their own labeling and get their undies in a bunch when others do it.

steve_zavocki
09-06-2017, 13:27
Last month I did a 2.5 day, 46 mile section hike through New York using public transportation.

I crossed paths with several thru hikers and honestly my respect for them is at an all time low. On my first night, I stayed at Graymoor which is private property and restricts alcohol use. Nevertheless, the 4-5 thrus were all doing drugs (pot and lsd) and then proceeded to get two 24 packs of beer from the Appalachian Deli to do some stupid beer drinking challenge. At this time, it was raining so it was either get wet or hang out under the pavilion. At midnight they were yelling loudly waking me up and I tented far from the pavilion.

If the generous folks at Graymoor decided to restrict usage there it would because of this disrespectful behavior of the 18-23 year old thrus, and unfortunately would be justified IMO.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2017, 13:34
Last month I did a 2.5 day, 46 mile section hike through New York using public transportation.

I crossed paths with several thru hikers and honestly my respect for them is at an all time low. On my first night, I stayed at Graymoor which is private property and restricts alcohol use. Nevertheless, the 4-5 thrus were all doing drugs (pot and lsd) and then proceeded to get two 24 packs of beer from the Appalachian Deli to do some stupid beer drinking challenge. At this time, it was raining so it was either get wet or hang out under the pavilion. At midnight they were yelling loudly waking me up and I tented far from the pavilion.

If the generous folks at Graymoor decided to restrict usage there it would because of this disrespectful behavior of the 18-23 year old thrus, and unfortunately would be justified IMO.

Some years ago, coincidently while hiking that exact same section, someone told us "Thru hikers are like a mullet, business in the front, party in the back." I almost always have a great time with the Nobos who pass through new england from May until around Mid July and they're almost always wonderful people. However every year the ones that show up later in the summer are more hit or miss.

rafe
09-06-2017, 13:43
*Does anyone have a picture of the Tshirt? I can't find the link/

Here ya go

gwschenk
09-06-2017, 13:44
Personally, I don't think thru-hikers deserve any special trail cred. Okay, maybe trail cred, but not outdoor cred or life cred.

My thoughts having observed to huge influx of "thruhikers", especially ATers, on the PCT.

It's just walking on a trail. Most of them have no respect for the mountains they travel. For many, the mountains are something they have to put up with to get to the next town to party with their peeps. They have zero mountain sense.
Most of them wouldn't make it to Warner Springs if they had to carry their own water.
They leave trash, toilet paper, unburied turds, cigarette butts and illegal fire rings in their wake.
The country they travel is worse for their passing.
Respect has to be earned. Most of them are failing at that.

Berserker
09-06-2017, 14:55
From my point of view as a section hiker, I've grown to understand that a lot of thru's are well intentioned,
but have grown simply tired of answering the same ten questions and having effectively the same conversation with people every night. Once I stopped asking the so-called T-Shirt questions* right off the bat, I found that I got a much warmer reception from long distance hikers.
Yeah, this is a good point. I know a lot of those folks seem to be tired of the same old conversation, and if ya just shoot the crap with 'em they're usually much more responsive in a positive way.

It also just has to do with normal "society rules". I'm 44, and I just tend to get along a lot better with the older guys because we can related better to each other. Whether on the trail, in the office, in church or wherever, this is just how things generally work.

egilbe
09-06-2017, 16:23
Ha, I do the same thing.

Carl7
09-06-2017, 18:54
It's pretty cool to see all of the perspectives here. It's all just a big bag of mixed nuts with so many variables. Personally, most people experiences on the trail are way more positive that many back home.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2017, 21:33
Here ya go

Much appreciated! Now that I think or it, were you one of the people that had one of the original ones?

rafe
09-06-2017, 23:10
Much appreciated! Now that I think or it, were you one of the people that had one of the original ones?

Not sure. I got mine from Lagunatic in Georgia in 1990. I think she started selling them well before then. She thru hiked in '89, and was a trail angel to the class of '90. That's her with the shades and shirt, at Unicoi Gap.

Calamine
09-10-2017, 11:32
I very much admire thru hikers. I gave it a go, and made it from Georgia to New Hampshire. That relegates my status to a section hiker now. However I admire the determination of putting your body to the test and committing to the trail life.
However often times, thru hikers for the sake of weight or getting better mileage do not practice leave no trace principles. Many do not hang their food but sleep with it. As the wildflowers bloom, so do the toilet tissue flowers. So far the only trowel I've seen has been my own. I also admire the section hikers perseverance(now that I am one as myself :; ) of course that's not always necessarily the rule, even the weekenders eschew a lot of low impact practices.of course,many.I try to be a good example and do things like walking through the mud and getting my shoes wet rather than expanding the trail. I'll even spend as much time as it takes to get the perfect bear hang. And then I noticed that sometimes others will go ahead and hang their food because I made sure to try to lead by example.But I guess in the end, of course hike your own hike, thru hikeror not, but please practice leave no trace.no matter how long your journey may be.

Ethesis
09-10-2017, 11:43

Thru hikers have walked away from the hard part of juggling life for an extended, relatively responsibility free walk along a well marked, well traveled trail with regular access to other people, comfortable amenities and food, and they generally do it in easy months for travel, skipping off the trail when the snow falls.

To take it a bit further, what's special about a thru-hike of the AT, which of course is just a section hike of the international AT.
Or, what's so special about a thru-hike of the JMT, which is, of course, essentially a section hike of the PCT?
Was Andrew Skurka's Great Western Loop hike less than a thru hike because he finished where he started?

But that is why my wife and and I think we can do it after retirement and section hike it twice a year until then.

:)

Odd Man Out
09-10-2017, 13:28
The most significant difference I see is that long distance hikers iare out long enough to get physically conditioned to hike long distances while people like me who do hikes of a week or less don't ever get their trail legs.

On my last AT hike I met a thru hiker who said he the first couple of weeks were the worst until he got conditioned, and he really respected section hikers who essentially had to perpetually suffer through those first weeks over and over.

Curious G
09-10-2017, 13:54
Well, since top 10% of wage earners pay 90% of taxes, and bottom 50% pay under 3%, we would need to prorate access accodingly......

I enjoy the quote on "Teej's" posts which I think is Jensen Bissell: "Through hikers represent 3% of our use and about 20% of our effort." Teej's reads "ATers" but I think the exact quote is 'thrus'. (Was just reading up on Baxter quotas.) I guess the same in terms of attention focus is adopted trail wide by the alphabet soup groups and clubs too. Weird.

KCNC
09-10-2017, 15:58
Ha, I do the same thing.

Beards irritate the hell out of me. To the point that I'll have to figure out a shaving strategy if/when I have a chance to hike more than a couple weeks at a time. I suppose I'll never have "real" cred, regardless of my experience. :-)

Dogwood
09-10-2017, 17:40
All hikers matter

But equally?

Yes and yes!

ZombieDust66
09-10-2017, 18:02
Section hikers are the steak and thru hikers are the salt

Curious G
09-10-2017, 19:04
Section hikers are the steak and thru hikers are the salt

Throw in some day walker spuds and ridgerunner salads hold the rangers!

surf-to-summit
09-19-2017, 16:56
So very well said.