PDA

View Full Version : Rain jacket

Suzzz
09-03-2017, 18:24
How much does your rain jacket weigh?

I'm in the process of re-examining every item in my pack in an effort to get rid of all unnecessary weigh. My current rain jacket weighs 22 ounces (1 lbs 6 oz). How does that compare? Which brands are the best?

Hatchet_1697
09-03-2017, 18:52
8 oz. Switched to a Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Tarp & Poncho and never looked back. Covers my pack and me, breathable during hot hikes, and allows me to setup my tent in the rain (under the poncho) and keep everything dry. Added an UL belt of sorts so no flopping in the wind, made the belt from dyneema cordage. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

saltysack
09-03-2017, 18:55
OR helium 2 in xl about 7oz....versatile and light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muzzo909
09-03-2017, 19:07

Second

TTT
09-03-2017, 19:25
[QUOTE=muzzo909;2168170]

Third

A really nice rain jacket that packs down small and looks cool. One of my better purchases

gbolt
09-03-2017, 19:31
Marmot Precip is 10 oz. but only paid $55 on sale. Otherwise, I would have gone the OR Helium or the Packa route.

MuddyWaters
09-03-2017, 19:53
Mine is 6.3 oz

Five Tango
09-03-2017, 20:04
I shelved my Marmot precip 13 oz rain jacket for a light weight Frogg Togg at roughly half the weight.Be sure you get the lighter Frogg Togg rather than their regular one if you go the FT route.

Traffic Jam
09-03-2017, 20:29
After hiking with my daughter who wore a light, rain jacket and seeing her drenched and cold, I'm very happy with my heavier Marmot precip.

Deacon
09-03-2017, 21:38
I had a 10d 7 oz. Packa until I walked away and left it at Elisa Brook Shelter in the Whites.

Five Tango
09-03-2017, 21:40
After hiking with my daughter who wore a light, rain jacket and seeing her drenched and cold, I'm very happy with my heavier Marmot precip.

Do you recall exactly what she was wearing?

Suzzz
09-03-2017, 21:42
I hear ya! I'm looking to shed some weight but not at the expense of getting wet and miserable. I like the jacket I have right now as it works perfectly. It has a flannel liner, so it's VERY comfy and I've never gotten wet when hiking with it, but like I said, it's a bit heavy. And according to Five Tango, the Marmot precip is 13 oz, that's a lot less than mine so I'll definitely put it on the list.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I'll look into all of them.

Five Tango
09-04-2017, 08:47
Suzz,there's plenty of rain jackets out there.If you go to REI webpage you can get the specs on all of them.Then it's a weight and price decision.I prefer my Marmot quality over the Frogg Togg.FT is fine for 3 season use.Would probably opt for something more durable in winter and my Marmot's paid for.......make sure what you get allows room for warm layers underneath.

cmoulder
09-04-2017, 08:52
As a certified Montbell fanboi I must mention the Montbell Peak Shell (https://www.thehikinglife.com/2015/12/review-montbell-peak-shell-rain-jacket/). :)

tflaris
09-04-2017, 09:17
[QUOTE=muzzo909;2168170]

Third

A really nice rain jacket that packs down small and looks cool. One of my better purchases

Fourth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Traffic Jam
09-04-2017, 09:21
Do you recall exactly what she was wearing?

No, and she no longer has it.

The point is, not all rain jackets keep you dry so don't use weight as the only criteria.
Though, I'm sure there are good jackets that are lighter than the precip and suzzz is a smart lady to ask around.

freekncreekn
09-04-2017, 09:33

Fifth

saltysack
09-04-2017, 10:00
Fifth

OR has incredible customer support. My first gen helium began to wet out after a few years of use. I called them about retreating it....they said we'll send you a new one at no charge....

Suzzz
09-04-2017, 10:10
Suzz,there's plenty of rain jackets out there.If you go to REI webpage you can get the specs on all of them.Then it's a weight and price decision.I prefer my Marmot quality over the Frogg Togg.FT is fine for 3 season use.Would probably opt for something more durable in winter and my Marmot's paid for.......make sure what you get allows room for warm layers underneath.
I know there are plenty of rain jackets out there, I wanted people's appreciation of different ones since I trust them more than manufacturers who would have you think that their product (and their product only) is the best out there. They all look good in the store/webpage display but sometimes that's where it stops. I like having the opinion of someone who actually used the product and who's not likely to make a profit from my buying it.

As for REI, we don't have them in Canada and with the dollar exchange rate I'm not sure it would be financially favorable for me to order from the States at this point. However, we do have MEC which is the Canadian equivalent to REI (check them out at mec.ca). They have most of the same brands but a few aren't available here.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Marmot but my final decision isn't made. I'm in no rush to buy anything. This is more of a wish list item for next season.

Suzzz
09-04-2017, 10:13
The point is, not all rain jackets keep you dry so don't use weight as the only criteria.
Though, I'm sure there are good jackets that are lighter than the precip and suzzz is a smart lady to ask around.

At least one person thinks I'm smart! Lol

Runner2017
09-04-2017, 10:14
Outdoor Research Realm Jacket, amazing ultralight 3L totally breathable jacket that I picked up last Xmas for $150. My size small weights only 10 oz and it folds into its own pocket.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

nsherry61
09-04-2017, 10:49
Rain jackets, shoes, gear in general, the opinions run the gamut.

I'm a big time poncho fan myself. Nothing like 8 oz for combined rain gear, pack cover and shelter. And nothing beats having fully 100% waterproof fabric that is so well vented that sweating is almost completely a non-issue. And, it's really nice, in continuous rain, to be able to just sit down on the tail as a dry place to rest, slip your completely dry backpack off, dig through it under the cover of the front of your poncho, and read a map, operate your cell phone or have a snack, all within the dry confines of your lap, all by just tucking your head inside the head hole and doing whatever needs done under cover.

The Marmot Precip along with most of the other sub $150, name brand, "breathable" waterproof rain jackets on the market are great relatively affordable jackets that are relatively light weight, and if you don't use them all the time or in continuous rain, they will perform to most people's satisfaction.

HOWEVER, if you ever try using a jacket made with one of the newer and more breathable (and more expensive), and often lighter, laminates including Gore ProShell, Event, and others, you will never go back to the "affordable" waterproof/breathable fabrics. When used a lot, the difference in comfort, size, weight, and dryness (mostly from sweat) is not subtle.

Suzzz
09-04-2017, 11:08
Rain jackets, shoes, gear in general, the opinions run the gamut.
I'm a big time poncho fan myself. Nothing like 8 oz for combined rain gear, pack cover and shelter.
The Marmot Precip along with most of the other sub $150, name brand, "breathable" waterproof rain jackets on the market are great relatively affordable jackets that are relatively light weight, and if you don't use them all the time or in continuous rain, they will perform to most people's satisfaction.
HOWEVER, if you ever try using a jacket made with one of the newer and more breathable (and more expensive), and often lighter, laminates including Gore ProShell, Event, and others, you will never go back to the "affordable" waterproof/breathable fabrics. When used a lot, the difference in comfort, size, weight, and dryness (mostly from sweat) is not subtle.

All good points NSHERRY61. I completely agree with you.

I did buy a poncho this spring and tried it on but decided to take it back. Maybe I gave up too soon. I didn't use it in the rain, it was just a test run. What I didn't like was the fact that it had big gaping openings on each side of me and the lid wasn't adjustable so wind and rain could seep inside around my head and neck. Maybe it was too small??? Do you have any good brands of ponchos to recommend? My decision is not made yet so I'm still open to every suggestion.

gbolt
09-04-2017, 11:50
One factor that you may want to consider is the purposes of the Rain Jacket. My Marmot also serves as an outer shell for snow, sleet and hail and was chosen to give warmth to my layering system. I have even used it once over a down Jacket for camp. I have not researched the OR Helium as an outer shell. I have a Patagonia Houdini that serves the purpose of windshirt and is lighter than the Helium. The precip also has pit zips to open and close to allow air flow like the poncho. However, a separate pack cover must be included which isn't a big deal. Dutchware Sil Nylon at 1.3 oz but needed to compare apples to apples. The great thing is that we have great choices possible. I am loving this thread because i am learning about the Helium and the Packa; both which I have debated switching to.

nsherry61
09-04-2017, 11:59
All good points NSHERRY61. . . Maybe I gave up too soon. I didn't use it in the rain, it was just a test run. What I didn't like was the fact that it had big gaping openings on each side of me and the lid wasn't adjustable so wind and rain could seep inside around my head and neck. Maybe it was too small???

A good rain poncho needs side closures (generally snaps) and a good hood (or good collar for use with a rain hat). It also needs to be a good size for you, not so long you are tripping over it, but long enough to cover your pack and still keep you reasonably dry. Also, it is important to have something to be able to use as a belt if the wind picks up. You don't want the belt on all the time (not enough ventilation), but in high winds, belts work great. . . I use one of my guy lines for my belt.

BUT, poncho's aren't for everyone. In spite of my evangelistic bent, some people just don't like ponchos. Some find ponchos interfere with their trekking pole use. I don't, in fact, I use my poncho back-country skiing as well as hiking. I also find my poncho works just fine bushwhacking, even in dense brush, as the nylon is slick enough and strong enough it works just fine. Ponchos do leave your lower legs and forearms wetter than pants and coats (although shirt sleeves and pant legs tent to wick moisture up under rain gear and get wet anyway). So, if you are in cold conditions where wet forearms and wet lower legs are an issue for you, you may want to make sure your lower legs and arms are covered with rain chaps and rain sleeves, or coat and pants. In cold weather, I generally am wearing a wind shirt and light nylon (not waterproof) pants and I just let them get wet since they dry out so quickly.

One other thing a poncho isn't great for is climbing steep rocks because you can't see your feet so well, and it is far too easy to step on the leading edge of the poncho when you step up really high, i.e. ponchos are not for serious mountaineering.

BUT, for most all the backpacking I have done in all kinds of weather and terrain, even with all the caveats, a poncho is by far my preferred rain gear because of comfort (ventilation), versatility and weight savings.

. . . Do you have any good brands of ponchos to recommend? My decision is not made yet so I'm still open to every suggestion.I primarily use my Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Tarp Poncho (http://www.seatosummitusa.com/product/?item=Ultra-Sil%26reg%3B+Nano+Tarp+Poncho&o1=0&o2=0&o3=189-41) since I use my poncho as my primary shelter most of the year. I only go to a full sized tarp for shelter when I expect heavy weather and I only use a tent when I am sharing a shelter with someone that is more comfortable in a tent than under a tarp (poor souls).

Traffic Jam
09-04-2017, 12:32
From what I understand, there isn't an industry standard for what defines "waterproof" but there are rating charts that might help.

https://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathability

http://www.denalioutdoor.com/gear-guide/waterproof-breathable-fabrics

I've considered the Packa but as someone else mentioned, my rain jacket is part of my layering system and replaces a long-sleeved shirt on summer evening hikes. It can be worn backwards on chilly mornings and quickly removed after warming up.

Five Tango
09-04-2017, 12:36
Note to self-alkie stoves can ruin a rain jacket and what ever you have under it.

Deacon
09-04-2017, 13:20
A good rain poncho needs side closures (generally snaps) and a good hood (or good collar for use with a rain hat). It also needs to be a good size for you, not so long you are tripping over it, but long enough to cover your pack and still keep you reasonably dry. Also, it is important to have something to be able to use as a belt if the wind picks up. You don't want the belt on all the time (not enough ventilation), but in high winds, belts

BUT, poncho's aren't for everyone. In spite of my evangelistic bent, some people just don't like ponchos. Some find ponchos interfere with their trekking pole use. I don't, in fact, I use my poncho back-country skiing as well as hiking. I also find my poncho works just fine bushwhacking, even in dense brush, as the nylon is slick enough and strong enough it works just fine. Ponchos do leave your lower legs and forearms wetter than pants and coats (although shirt sleeves and pant legs tent to wick moisture up under rain gear and get wet anyway). So, if you are in cold conditions where wet forearms and wet lower legs are an issue for you, you may want to make sure your lower legs and arms are covered with rain chaps and rain sleeves, or coat and pants. In cold weather, I generally am wearing a wind shirt and light nylon (not waterproof) pants and I just let them get wet since they dry out so quickly.

One other thing a poncho isn't great for is climbing steep rocks because you can't see your feet so well, and it is far too easy to step on the leading edge of the poncho when you step up really high, i.e. ponchos are not for serious

These are all good arguments for the Packa.

The Packa fits loosely and with lots of room, and covers the pack like a poncho except:

- they have sleeves, with pit zips,

- they zip in front like a rain jacket, and can be unzipped to regulate temperature,

- the sides are totally enclosed,

- can tuck it away without taking the pack off.

The Packa ventilates extremely well.

garlic08
09-04-2017, 13:44
My current favorite jacket is a homemade silnylon parka job that weighs 3 oz (matching pants weigh 4 oz) and packs the size of my fist. I love that thing for hiking and cycling.

linus72
09-05-2017, 09:55
i have an obsession with raincoats and got a helium 2 recently b/c the weight and the reviews. 7 oz?ish? welllllllllll sunday i was out backpacking in an all day downpour and i mean all day and it wet through within about 1.5 hrs of the heavy rain. had me wishing i was wearing my precip or my rei rainwall, even though they weigh double. food for thought. lighter isn't always better. besides the other two are half the price. luckily labor day was beautiful and i had a nice tent to dry off in sunday night

saltysack
09-05-2017, 11:53
i have an obsession with raincoats and got a helium 2 recently b/c the weight and the reviews. 7 oz?ish? welllllllllll sunday i was out backpacking in an all day downpour and i mean all day and it wet through within about 1.5 hrs of the heavy rain. had me wishing i was wearing my precip or my rei rainwall, even though they weigh double. food for thought. lighter isn't always better. besides the other two are half the price. luckily labor day was beautiful and i had a nice tent to dry off in sunday night

During the summer humidity and temps I haven't stayed dry any anything while hiking as I sweat out easily....curious as to conditions?

linus72
09-05-2017, 12:00
it wasnt that it caused me to perspire, it was that it was raining so hard the DWR on the helium 2 eventually gave way and let moisture in. conditions were high 40s in am to low 60s in pm, all day rain. i was hiking in it for about 4.5 hrs. had to keep moving to keep body temp up and not risk hypothermia.

linus72
09-05-2017, 12:00
was just the past 2 days, labor day weekend in southern new england on the riga plateau

wayside_mn
09-05-2017, 12:09
OR has incredible customer support. My first gen helium began to wet out after a few years of use. I called them about retreating it....they said we'll send you a new one at no charge....

Sixth. Replaced a frotog and is a bit more breathable and alot more durable.

saltysack
09-05-2017, 12:37
was just the past 2 days, labor day weekend in southern new england on the riga plateau

Call OR...likely replace

nsherry61
09-05-2017, 19:31
These are all good arguments for the Packa. The Packa fits loosely and with lots of room, and covers the pack like a poncho except:
- they have sleeves, with pit zips,
- they zip in front like a rain jacket, and can be unzipped to regulate temperature,
- the sides are totally enclosed,
- can tuck it away without taking the pack off. The Packa ventilates extremely well.
Full disclosure . . . I have never used a Packa. They seem to be well liked by most of the people that use them. They seem like a good idea in general if you don't need the extra ventilation of a poncho and aren't also using your poncho as a shelter, ground cloth or other critical piece of gear that the Packa does not duplicate. That being said:

There is now way the Packa vents anywhere nearly as well as a poncho, and even a poncho doesn't vent well enough with just a belt over it unless the wind is blowing pretty well. . . at least for my liking.

Compared to a rain jacket the Packa may vent well. But, compared to a poncho, I doubt it.

The Packa may cover ones forearms better than a poncho, but the Packa is much shorter than my poncho and thus would not protect my upper legs nearly as well.
Finally, the Packa does not tend toward being an effective ground sheet or shelter either as a tarp for sleeping under or a mobile tent by pulling your head inside and using the space under it to pull off your pack, eat, operate your cell phone, read a map. Does that Packa have enough tail on it to sit on while wearing your pack?

I might quite like a Packa for winter use when I am not running quite so hot and I am carrying shelter other than my poncho.

CoffeeBru
09-05-2017, 23:58
There's an excellent article with survey results on this topic at SectionHiker.com. Well worth checking out!

https://sectionhiker.com/top-10-backpacker-rain-jackets-and-purchase-preferences/

TTT
09-06-2017, 06:16
After cost, light weight is the second most important purchase criteria in that survey, which talks more about the buyer than the functionality of the product in keeping you dry, If that be the case, then a black refuse bin should make it to the number one spot :)

Traveler
09-06-2017, 08:01
The cost/weight savings of gear, or weight savings of a few ounces is quickly forgotten when huddled in the lee of a rock with an unexpected dramatic drop in temperature accompanied by precipitation the gear is insufficient for.

Having made a few purchasing decisions over the years based on cost and/or weight and subsequently finding myself in changing weather conditions, being extremely uncomfortable and in potentially dangerous circumstances, I do not recall thinking, "thank goodness I saved those 8 ounces".

Suzzz
09-06-2017, 09:25
The cost/weight savings of gear, or weight savings of a few ounces is quickly forgotten when huddled in the lee of a rock with an unexpected dramatic drop in temperature accompanied by precipitation the gear is insufficient for.
Having made a few purchasing decisions over the years based on cost and/or weight and subsequently finding myself in changing weather conditions, being extremely uncomfortable and in potentially dangerous circumstances, I do not recall thinking, "thank goodness I saved those 8 ounces".

I absolutely agree. My current rain jacket is great but it's old-ish, therefore heavier than most newer models. I want to shed some weight but not at the expense of comfort and safety. I want to be able to use it for hours in a downpour but also as a warm layer if the temperature drops. Of course, money is always a concern but not so much when I'm convinced an item is the best piece of equipment «FOR ME». I've never regreted paying a lot for something that worked like it was supposed to, but on the same token, I'm always happy to get a good deal. I'm willing to pay as much as I have to for peace of mind and nothing drives me nuts like paying top dollar for something only to find out later that it's a piece of crap.

TTT
09-06-2017, 10:00
Beneath a thin raincoat you can wear fleece which brings instantaneous warmth and resists water. Beneath that wool is preferable as it takes time to absorb moisture, and when it does, depending on its thickness, retains body heat. A wicking base layer under all that... and it should be green for go.

(advice from a person living in tropical Africa to a winter savvy Canadian)

MuddyWaters
09-06-2017, 10:04
Beneath a thin raincoat you can wear fleece which brings instantaneous warmth and resists water. Beneath that wool is preferable as it takes time to absorb moisture, and when it does, depending on its thickness, retains body heat. A wicking base layer under all that... and it should be green for go.

But way too much insulation for hiking above freezing. If you going uphill at all.

Suzzz
09-06-2017, 11:51

Haha TTT !!! I use the layering system all the time but I'm also trying to bring less stuff when I'm out hiking hense the reason I want a rain jacket I can wear for warmth. That being said, being the savvy Canadian that I am, I'll definitely bring my fleece when expecting cold temperatures. I also have merino underwear, so I'm covered head to toe!

TTT
09-06-2017, 12:36
Over my muscular and fantastically tanned body, I'll be wearing a Marmot DriClime Ether jacket over my base layer that's good for mild rain and makes me look totally awesome. It breathes like a dialysis machine. For serious downpours the plan is to bring my OR Helium ii into play. With it will be the option of grabbing my fleece jacket. In reserve I have a deadly Fjallraven wool sweater that stops lightning in its tracks.
(I spent a fortune on all this so I gotta tell someone about it)

TTT
09-07-2017, 06:31
On a more serious note, if you are beginning your hike in early March 2018 from Georgia, I'll bring with me 2 new raincoats that you can have for free. They can be collected from a prearranged drop off point. The first is a green medium sized Helly Hansen raincoat with hood - weight about 13 ounces. The other is a black Marmot Ether DriClime with hood (large but will fit almost any size below or beyond that, that I bought as a duplicate in error off the internet) that's about 6 ounces. They will only gather dust in a cupboard unless they find a new home.

egilbe
09-07-2017, 07:07
I just resign myself to being wet when I hike in the rain. Wore my Marmot Precip this weekend with all the rain we had since Sunday. I really cant tell if it wetted out or I sweat it out. I was warm. I was happy, I was hiking. It was all good. When I got back to my car, cranked the heat, but the thin nylon shirt and wool t-shirt was still wet and I got chilled. I had to pull over and change into my dry clothes that were in my pack. As lng as I was moving, I was warm and comfortable.

garlic08
09-07-2017, 07:41
I just resign myself to being wet when I hike in the rain....
This is the way I see it as well. Sometimes it's just Type 2 fun.

Another thought, which I say all the time--experience has as much to do with staying comfortable in harsh conditions as gear. An experienced hand in a plastic poncho can often be warmer than a newbie decked out in Patagucci. It all has to do with keeping insulation dry in the pack, knowing when and how to find or pitch a shelter for resting, keeping well fed and hydrated, using and retaining body heat, and keeping a good outlook.

TTT
09-07-2017, 08:06
Water has a mind of its own. One way or another, and depending on conditions, you can get wet from the inside or outside no matter what you wear. You can't take every cough to a doctor, so the best you can hope for is to have a rain gear that locks in body heat, and clothing that gives you the illusion that you dry.

cmoulder
09-07-2017, 08:20
This is the way I see it as well. Sometimes it's just Type 2 fun.

Another thought, which I say all the time--experience has as much to do with staying comfortable in harsh conditions as gear. An experienced hand in a plastic poncho can often be warmer than a newbie decked out in Patagucci. It all has to do with keeping insulation dry in the pack, knowing when and how to find or pitch a shelter for resting, keeping well fed and hydrated, using and retaining body heat, and keeping a good outlook.

+100

Right at freezing with rain/sleet all day and many stream crossings. 40258

Staying dry in such conditions is simply not going to happen. Damp and warm is the best one can hope for, and pitching the shelter quickly and changing into a dry base is critical.

Suzzz
09-07-2017, 08:28
On a more serious note, if you are beginning your hike in early March 2018 from Georgia, I'll bring with me 2 new raincoats that you can have for free. They can be collected from a prearranged drop off point. The first is a green medium sized Helly Hansen raincoat with hood - weight about 13 ounces. The other is a black Marmot Ether DriClime with hood (large but will fit almost any size below or beyond that, that I bought as a duplicate in error off the internet) that's about 6 ounces. They will only gather dust in a cupboard unless they find a new home.
Geez, that's very nice of you TTT. I'm a section hiker however and I won't be in the Georgia area in the spring, at least it's not in the plans for now. So maybe someone else might jump on the opportunity.

Good luck on your thru !!!

TTT
09-07-2017, 13:05
If I don't make it over the first few hills, I'm sure I'll find a good pub in Georgia

garlic08
09-07-2017, 14:06
Right at freezing with rain/sleet all day and many stream crossings. 40258
Great photo. I can't believe someone was warm enough to take it. Once I faced similar conditions, but the stream crossing was on a cold dry morning after the wet snow. I'd managed to dry my socks and shoes overnight, so I forded the stream barefoot!

Mountain Wildman
09-07-2017, 14:17
I have an Arc’teryx Beta LT Gore-Tex Rain Jacket - 14.2 ounces in size XXL.
I am still new to backpacking but have hiked quite a bit, spent hundreds of days and nights camping and have worked outdoors since 2005, I originally purchased a Marmot Precip due to it's popularity but when I put it on I started to sweat almost instantly and it felt like a heavy plastic bag against my skin so I sold it, through my research I ascertained that the best option for rain protection with breathability was either 3 layer Gore-Tex or Event, Arc'teryx seemed to be one of the best so I found a good deal on my Beta LT at Sierra Trading Post, I have only used it a few times but it has not wetted out or in and I have been comfortable and virtually sweat free though I haven't done anything exerting while wearing it. The ZPacks Vertice looks like a good 3 layer rain jacket and at half the weight I may buy one for my anticipated Thru-Hike next year but if not, I have every intention of carrying my Beta LT the whole way, it is substantial enough to keep me warm in cold weather and reliable enough to keep the rain out.
https://images.arcteryx.com/F17/1350x1710/Beta-LT-Jacket-Matador.jpg

Suzzz
09-07-2017, 15:08
If I don't make it over the first few hills, I'm sure I'll find a good pub in Georgia

Hahahaha !!!