knee zip pants
gaters

Extremeties:
Fleece hat
thin glove shell
thin glove lining
hiking socks
Boots

Is this sufficient? Is this too much? Do I need rain pants or should I take a bathing suit instead? I leave for the trail on March 7th NoBo.

Thanks all!

Red Hat
02-03-2006, 21:04
You'll probably want the rain pants for early hiking, especially in snow. I kept mine until June. As for a bathing suit, forget it, swim in your shorts, they dry fast.

Smooth
02-03-2006, 22:51
I found the long sleeve shirt and long pants to be enough and sent the long underwear home. I wore rain pants in the spring rain and when the wind made me cold in all but the hottest part of the summer. I have replaced my fleece jacket with a poly fill one, since my Thru-Hike as it weighs less and is much warmer. I sent the gloves home and, once wore my spare socks on my hands. I am not at all sure I would wear gaters next time, the trail is too wide and used.I am not at all sure what the Neo-Prene leggings are, or what they would be used for.

The most reached for garments were the long pants and long sleeve shirt. During the summer, unless it was raining hard, they were enough so long as I was hiking. The jacket was almost never worn while hiking, it was a keep me warm while I take a break kind of thing.

What I found is that you are hiking, and therefore warm, or stopped and in your sleeping bag, and therefore warm. You won't spend much time standing around cold, you will just crawl into your bag and cook and talk from there.