PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Crown 2/60 question

zig-zag man
09-04-2017, 08:06
Ok. Got all of my gear in - finally. Packed my new bag. With food and water and a full canister of cooking fuel - 34 lbs. (Includes a couple lbs of fishing gear.) So I hefted this beast onto my back, adjusted the hip belt, and cinched down the shoulder straps/load lifters - and carried it around the house for 15-20 minutes. Felt really good with the bulk of the heft on my hips. Now if my arms were 8" longer and I had a second elbow, I could actually reach my 1L smart-water bottles in the pack's side pockets. *** is up with that? I certainly don't want to have to drop the pack to get a drink of water! Anybody else have this issue? Suggestions?

DownEaster
09-04-2017, 08:40
Let me show you a couple of pictures. First is the back of a ULA Circuit pack:
See those yellow loops on the shoulder straps? Those are elastic cords which are designed to hold the necks and bodies of a couple of water bottles. This makes your water easy to access, and it also balances your pack load better.

Next is the Crown 2:
Note the several stitched divisions in the nylon webbing running up the center of the shoulder straps. If you got some elastic cord and did a bit of experimentation, what do you think you might accomplish?

doheir
09-04-2017, 09:27
Make sure that the side compression straps run under the water bottle, not on top of it. Once I did that, I can do a one-handed retrieval & replacement of my water bottle while walking

ScareBear
09-04-2017, 09:40
Ok. Got all of my gear in - finally. Packed my new bag. With food and water and a full canister of cooking fuel - 34 lbs. (Includes a couple lbs of fishing gear.) So I hefted this beast onto my back, adjusted the hip belt, and cinched down the shoulder straps/load lifters - and carried it around the house for 15-20 minutes. Felt really good with the bulk of the heft on my hips. Now if my arms were 8" longer and I had a second elbow, I could actually reach my 1L smart-water bottles in the pack's side pockets. *** is up with that? I certainly don't want to have to drop the pack to get a drink of water! Anybody else have this issue? Suggestions?

Solved.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/aquaclip.shtml

Since your Crown60 does not come with hip belt pockets, you can put the aquaclip on the belt instead of the shoulder strap, if you wish.

Also, you should look into hip belt pouches/pockets. Again, ZPacks has your answer...

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/beltpouch.shtml

All that being said, you are at the upper limit of this pack's weight handling ability. So, instead of a lighter pack, you should have been focusing on lightening your load. 35lbs is simply far too much for a week in the summer, even with fishing gear and food. If that is your summer kit, this pack will not be able to handle your winter kit.

Finally, you can simply hang a 2L or 3L bladder with hose off the back of the pack and hydrate that way. I'd say put the bladder on top of your load INSIDE the pack, but with your load, it is highly doubtful you have space for a 3L bladder...

zig-zag man
09-04-2017, 09:43
Let me show you a couple of pictures. First is the back of a ULA Circuit pack:
See those yellow loops on the shoulder straps? Those are elastic cords which are designed to hold the necks and bodies of a couple of water bottles. This makes your water easy to access, and it also balances your pack load better.

Next is the Crown 2:
Note the several stitched divisions in the nylon webbing running up the center of the shoulder straps. If you got some elastic cord and did a bit of experimentation, what do you think you might accomplish?

I'm going to take you up on your suggestion. I could live without the sarcastic undertones, but maybe....it's just your way.

DownEaster
09-04-2017, 11:18
Since your Crown60 does not come with hip belt pockets, ...
I guess you didn't look at the picture, but those Crown 2 60 hip belt pockets look pretty plain to me.

I'm going to take you up on your suggestion. I could live without the sarcastic undertones, but maybe....it's just your way.
Honestly, no sarcasm was intended. I like DIY projects. I haven't yet performed this mod to my Crown 2 (first attempt at getting elastic cord turned out to be insufficiently strong), hence the question rather than a statement.

zig-zag man
09-04-2017, 11:47
I guess you didn't look at the picture, but those Crown 2 60 hip belt pockets look pretty plain to me.

Honestly, no sarcasm was intended. I like DIY projects. I haven't yet performed this mod to my Crown 2 (first attempt at getting elastic cord turned out to be insufficiently strong), hence the question rather than a statement.

My mistake. I am giving thought to that $5 clip from zpacks. I may be able to adapt it to my rig. The way the straps wrap around my shoulders and then cut back to the pack, I don't think there is enough room to do the elastic cord setup you suggested. There is a little room between the hip belt pockets and the pack. Maybe I can rig up a carrier there. If you come up with a solution, I hope you share it with me.

zig-zag man
09-04-2017, 11:56
Solved.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/aquaclip.shtml

Since your Crown60 does not come with hip belt pockets, you can put the aquaclip on the belt instead of the shoulder strap, if you wish.

Also, you should look into hip belt pouches/pockets. Again, ZPacks has your answer...

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/beltpouch.shtml

All that being said, you are at the upper limit of this pack's weight handling ability. So, instead of a lighter pack, you should have been focusing on lightening your load. 35lbs is simply far too much for a week in the summer, even with fishing gear and food. If that is your summer kit, this pack will not be able to handle your winter kit.

Finally, you can simply hang a 2L or 3L bladder with hose off the back of the pack and hydrate that way. I'd say put the bladder on top of your load INSIDE the pack, but with your load, it is highly doubtful you have space for a 3L bladder...

The Crown DOES have hip belt pockets. And the 34lbs includes all the gear I would need for 3 seasons plus 4-day food supply. That being said, I agree that I'm reaching the max recommended load of this pack. But that's ok. Its not the lightest, nor is probably not the heaviest. But it is a weight I can deal with, so we're solid there. The zpack clip does look intriguing, but I'm not sure where I'd put it. I don't want a bottle of water bouncing off my chest. I may be able to rig something in the space between the hip belt pockets and the pack.

ScareBear
09-04-2017, 14:00
The Crown DOES have hip belt pockets. And the 34lbs includes all the gear I would need for 3 seasons plus 4-day food supply. That being said, I agree that I'm reaching the max recommended load of this pack. But that's ok. Its not the lightest, nor is probably not the heaviest. But it is a weight I can deal with, so we're solid there. The zpack clip does look intriguing, but I'm not sure where I'd put it. I don't want a bottle of water bouncing off my chest. I may be able to rig something in the space between the hip belt pockets and the pack.

OK, you got the Crown 2. Which, is kinda a different pack than the Crown, which is one of the packs I own. You've got the linelock lid and the hip belt pockets, but no real water bottle pockets. Not that the Crown's water bottle pockets are the best...they aren't...but they work for a number of purposes...also, the Crown2 hipbelt does not have the adjustability of the old Crown.

Although, the new and the old Crown are BOTH on sale right now for the same 149.99...go figure....

FrabjousDay
09-04-2017, 15:23
...also, the Crown2 hipbelt does not have the adjustability of the old Crown.

How so? I've never used an old Crown, but my women's Crown2 has their "Re-Fit" adjustable hipbelt.

ScareBear
09-05-2017, 05:00
How so? I've never used an old Crown, but my women's Crown2 has their "Re-Fit" adjustable hipbelt.

I was referring to the hip belt's adjustability to fine-tune your fit, not some one-size-fits-all scheme of belt.

http://www.granitegear.com/crown-v-c-60.html

I also prefer the option of removing belt pockets to be replaced by whatever whenever.

Sure, the Crown2 is a nice pack, and you essentially get a free line lock lid with it. And, non-removable hip pockets....

To give you an idea of the Crown2's popularity....it's on sale for 149.99 already. And, so is the original....which apparently is still being produced...

Just sayin...

zig-zag man
09-05-2017, 10:37
I was referring to the hip belt's adjustability to fine-tune your fit, not some one-size-fits-all scheme of belt.

http://www.granitegear.com/crown-v-c-60.html

Just sayin...

Just saying what? It's the perfect opportunity to denigrate someone else's choice of gear?

FrabjousDay
09-05-2017, 11:54

I also prefer the option of removing belt pockets to be replaced by whatever whenever.

Sure, the Crown2 is a nice pack, and you essentially get a free line lock lid with it. And, non-removable hip pockets....

I can understand wanting to be able to order a specific hipbelt size, especially for bodies at the extreme ends of the sizing spectrum. However, with my average sized body I'm loving the adjustable system. I still have yet to use the lid as a "lid" since it functions really well as a chest pack.

dwcoyote
09-05-2017, 12:11
I have the same issues with my Granite Gear Lutsen. Below is my solution and after carrying my water in the front since buying this pack I can honestly say that I wish I had done this a long time ago. Gets some weight up front and makes it super east to access and drink water while on the move.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38922&d=1491232663

dwcoyote
09-05-2017, 12:21
Looks like the Crown 2 and Lutsen should strap set up is nearly the same. If so you should have room to secure the bottles up front. I use the 20 oz Gatorade bottles because the location of the groves line up perfectly with where the cord loops are placed. I have used larger bottles and it worked also.

grubbster
09-05-2017, 13:13
Curious where people are seeing these bags on sale for around $150?

ken209
09-05-2017, 13:27
Backcountry Gear.com

Deadeye
09-05-2017, 13:59
MountainSmith used to sell water bottle "holsters" that fit on most any hipbelt. Might be able to find one on ebay, or on the back shelf of your local gear dealer.

ScareBear
09-05-2017, 14:10
Just saying what? It's the perfect opportunity to denigrate someone else's choice of gear?

Just sayin that new aint always better. Hence, the early discount on a brand new pack while realizing the demand for the old pack is still strong enough to have to keep producing it. And that's with a free line-loc lid thrown in. Kinda sorta having to give them away...free lid, 25 percent off a recently introduced product...just sayin...the market dictates demand and GG just found that out...

And, it looks like the stretchy fabric hasn't changed. Which isn't a good thing. You'd think they would have gotten tired of honoring their warranty...

I will give GG props for not pulling the plug on the original Crown to force demand for the Crown2. It will be interesting to see this year's sales figures for each item...

grubbster
09-05-2017, 17:48
Backcountry Gear.com
Thank you!

Bird Dawg
09-05-2017, 22:26
I have the original GG Crown VC 60 and love that pack....but I had the same issue. I could sometimes reach back and grab the Smart Water bottles but found it difficult to return them to the mesh pockets. I got tired of asking my hiking buddies to put my water bottles back into my pack for me. Then someone on White Blaze suggested the Blue Desert SmarTube Hydration System. I purchased one last year from Amazon and I couldn't be happier with it! There are several caps included that fit different size water bottles - including the Smart Water bottles many hikers prefer. I simply attach the tube to the bottle, slip the bottle into the mesh pocket, loop the hose over the top of my shoulder and I'm good to go! I use a small strip of Velcro to hold the tubing in place on my pack strap and the mouthpiece stays within easy reach. I purchased a different bite valve for it - and Amazon doesn't carry that particular one now - but other options are available.

Believe me, you will enjoy this system.

Bird Dawg
09-05-2017, 22:31
PS: I also used some shock cord and plastic cord locks to make loops on my shoulder straps (similar to the photo shown by dwcoyote above) to hold a regular Gatorade bottle. I put Gatorade, Propel or Nuun water in that bottle and use keep plain water in the Smart Water bottles in my side pouches.

zig-zag man
09-27-2017, 16:43
I ended up buying a lightweight bottle holder made of aluminum designed for race biking and tie-wrapped it to my hipbelt between the hipbelt pocket and the pack. Works really well.

firesign
09-27-2017, 18:29

Not sure why peeps are jumping onboard regarding Zpacks ArcBlast which is good for carrying a pillow and 200 Marlboro Lights! The C2 can handle 5+ days of food and long water carries...talking of which: I successfully used the brand of water called 'Smart'. These tall slim bottles easily fitted in the C2 side pouches with the strap holding the bottle secure. In addition, I tied cord around and under the lip of the screwtop to aid in grabbing the bottle. Hope this helps.

cmoulder
09-27-2017, 18:46
Not sure why peeps are jumping onboard regarding Zpacks ArcBlast which is good for carrying a pillow and 200 Marlboro Lights! The C2 can handle 5+ days of food and long water carries...talking of which: I successfully used the brand of water called 'Smart'. These tall slim bottles easily fitted in the C2 side pouches with the strap holding the bottle secure. In addition, I tied cord around and under the lip of the screwtop to aid in grabbing the bottle. Hope this helps.

I just used my Arc Blast (2014 version) for a 4 night trip (Grafton Loop Trail) in Maine and it had plenty of room. And I can easily remove/replace my 32 oz Gatorade water bottle in the side pocket. ;)

More and more 'peeps' are discovering they don't need to carry a bunch of heavy traditional crap and are enjoying the enormous benefits of a light pack, while remaining just as comfortable, well-fed and safe as heavy haulers. :rolleyes:

ScareBear
09-27-2017, 18:59
I ended up buying a lightweight bottle holder made of aluminum designed for race biking and tie-wrapped it to my hipbelt between the hipbelt pocket and the pack. Works really well.

You mean this?

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Aluminum-Bicycle-Waterbottle/dp/B000RYBGFW/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_468_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B3MAJS4MBX98M1029G57

Rigid pieces of metal strapped to your hipbelt...one of which is perpendicular to your hip. What could go wrong?

There is a reason this isn't a thing...just sayin...

cmoulder
09-27-2017, 19:48
A water bottle cage for a bicycle? :eek:

That's got to be a first.

For that kind of weight, might as well get something like an OR water bottle parka (https://www.rei.com/product/110065/outdoor-research-water-bottle-parka-32-fl-oz) which will also keep water cooler or warmer, depending on season. The loop will fit over the hip belt in the desired location... used the older version of this way back when I was hauling a ginormous McHale mountain pack.

JPritch
10-13-2017, 15:22
I used a ZimmerBuilt holster on my Crown 1 for my JMT trek:

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/store/p26/Water_Bottle_Pocket.html

It has a top and bottom attachment to the webbing on your shoulder straps, for added stability and less bounce.

That was probably the best gear adjustment I made for the entire trip. So convenient. Had alot of folks ask me about it along the way, in the same boat as you. Note, it fits the 2/3L Smart bottles best. The 1L will fit, but they are a bit awkward b/c they are so tall.