PDA

View Full Version : can wash pot in non treated water

misterfloyd
09-04-2017, 12:36
Hello,

I have never done this but can you wash cooking items with unfiltered water? I have always used filtered.

Any replies are always welcome and appreciated!!

Thanks,
Misterfloyd

Hikes in Rain
09-04-2017, 12:44
I'd say so. You're going to heat stuff in it again, anyway, which will kill any nastys left behind.

Spirit Walker
09-04-2017, 13:21
Agreed. The pot will be heated. Bowls and spoons should be washed in clean water though. I usually boil a bit of water after eating to clean everything.

Sarcasm the elf
09-04-2017, 13:22
I barely even wash my pot, everything I cook gets brought to a rolling boil. I often cook with untreated water for this same reason.

Edit to add. I usually leave my spoon submerged in the boiling water for a minute or so when making each meal. This is more or less my entire pot/utensil sanitation process.

SWODaddy
09-04-2017, 13:55
Edit to add. I usually leave my spoon submerged in the boiling water for a minute or so when making each meal. This is more or less my entire pot/utensil sanitation process.

I like to do this too.

Lone Wolf
09-04-2017, 14:03
Hello,

I have never done this but can you wash cooking items with unfiltered water? I have always used filtered.

Any replies are always welcome and appreciated!!

Thanks,
Misterfloyd

i always wash with unfiltered water

soumodeler
09-04-2017, 14:39
I remember reading where most water borne nasties can only survive a short time out of the water or in sunlight. I don't worry about it.

swjohnsey
09-04-2017, 15:10
One pot method ensures everything gets sterilized, cook and eat from same pot.

AllDownhillFromHere
09-04-2017, 16:15
Please don't wash your stuff IN the water - bring all washwater well away from water sources before doing anything. Also, if you lick the pot out completely, sloosh some water around in it, then drink THAT water, you're clean, you got a few calories, you got some needed hydration, and you didn't use soap.

KDogg
09-04-2017, 17:38
The first time you get to trail magic where they want you to use your own "cup" and you find yourself drinking out of the pot that you washed out with dirty water a little while before, will answer this question. I always use filtered water to wash. It doesn't take that much when you are cooking and eating in the same pot. You are going to eat most of it clean anyway. Use your finger to get the last little bit (eat it!) and then use 30-40mls of water to clean your pot. Whenever you take a zero day in a hostel or hotel then wash your pot and spoon with soap and you're good to go. Never had any problems or even potential problems.