PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable Matt-----Mens Underware-----Advise--Suggestions

tawa
09-05-2017, 09:54
Looking for a lighter and easy to pack self inflatable matt to use in my tent on an up coming section hike.
The one I currently use is an self inflatable Coleman brand--Problem is that its fairly heavy and difficult to swash down into a small packable matt.
Which brands --options would you suggest.
Also, my roll up foam matt is rather bulky rolled up outside and on the bottom of my pack.
So can I get away with a simpler --lighter--easier to pack --one matt option??

Which brief/underware would you suggest to wick away moisture and prevent chaffing. Plan on being on trail two weeks.

Thank you.

DownEaster
09-05-2017, 10:22
If light weight is your only concern then Therm-a-Rest has lots of options. Personally, I can't sleep on their inflatables because they sound like you're rolling on a bag of potato chips. My choice is Klymit, which has their "Static V" line. The spaces between the "V"s gives the insulation on the part of your sleeping bag below you room to expand.

Underwear is a very personal choice. I like Reebok Performance Boxer Briefs because they have relatively short inseams. Other popular choices are Ex Officio and Under Armour, which are generally tighter fitting, compressing everything from waist to knees.

Odd Man Out
09-05-2017, 10:40
I too have a Static V. But this is not self inflating. They are all relatively heavy. I like the static V because it is wider than most pads. With most you have to get the XL size to get a wide pad which is also extra long. But be advised the static v is not insulated. If you need a three season pad I would get the insulated version.

For underwear, my favorite pair is the merino wool Ibex boxer briefs. But they are rediculously expensive. Hard to justify buying a second.

JC13
09-05-2017, 10:43
What are the expected temps where you are hiking? Plenty of lightweight options out there but R-value is going to affect weight and self-inflating as well. Klymit has a super UL V chamber that is 4.4 R-value, 16.9oz, you inflate it either with your breathe or the stuff sack and it goes for anywhere from ~$60 -120. The uninsulated version of the same is 1.3 R, 11.9 oz, and we paid $50 a piece for them on sale. They roll down about the size of a 12 oz can of soda.

Just Bill
09-05-2017, 10:58
Here's a pretty good price on a blow up Matt.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Y8NTW8/ref=asc_df_B006Y8NTW85155600/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B006Y8NTW8&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198098415970&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17551530371128317369&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016222&hvtargid=pla-362208526074

I would definitely suggest dressing yourself and your blow up Matt in Exofficio give-n-go underware. Briefs or boxers as you prefer, maybe one of each so you and your Matt can mix it up.

HooKooDooKu
09-05-2017, 11:14
Definitely look into Therm-a-rest. There lightest full length self-inflatable would be the ProLite. But it's only 1" thick. If you need something thicker and don't require self-inflating, the xlite is the same weight and R value and is 2-1/2" thick.

orthofingers
09-05-2017, 11:56
The Thermarest Neoair Xlite is probably the most popular among thru hikers. (I don't own one. I'm a hanger). I've heard complaints from some about the crinkly sound especially when they're new. Others aren't bothered by it at all. BUT, your insulation needs will dictate what you need.

tawa
09-05-2017, 12:32
Sounds like you have had a lot of experiences with your blow ups!! Whatever floats your boat dawg!! lmao
Hope she was good for you!! About what I would expect from Chicago!! lol

Just Bill
09-05-2017, 13:00
Sounds like you have had a lot of experiences with your blow ups!! Whatever floats your boat dawg!! lmao
Hope she was good for you!! About what I would expect from Chicago!! lol
That was a 'he' you did ask about inflatable Matt's, not inflatable Melissa's :D

Buy once= cry once. A pad is worth spending the money on IMO. Might be the third most important piece of gear after shoes/socks.

The therm-a-rest X therm is about the best in terms of multiple folks being happy with them. The xtherm is the warmer one, with no real weight or other penalty vs the x-lite models.
So as far as one and done trail proven mat's that's about the easiest recommendation.

I'm a big fan of the Exped Hyperlight series lately though. They do much better in hammocks (another dual use) and I'm liking the shape a bit better overall. The easy inflation is another plus.
They don't make a short, but their weights and pack sizes are comparable to the Neo-air.
The only ding against them- they don't have the thousands and thousands of happy users and three generations of redesign that the Neo-Air series does. They are on Generation 2, and you can find the first gen models at a discount.

HooKooDooKu
09-05-2017, 14:22
The Thermarest Neoair Xlite is probably the most popular among thru hikers. (I don't own one. I'm a hanger). I've heard complaints from some about the crinkly sound especially when they're new. Others aren't bothered by it at all. BUT, your insulation needs will dictate what you need.
Very early models were very crinkly sounding because the outer material looked/felt something like mylar. Just about any movement made a crinkly sound.

But the second generation xlite has an outer material that's has more of a plastic/rubber feel. That keeps the outside quite, but the inner baffles are still made of something like mylar that can still ahve a crinkly sound when you move around. However, the amount of noise is heavily dependent on the inflation level of the pad.

The newest type of Xlite is the MAX SV (speed valve). The idea is that rather than blowing into a small inflation tube, the top of the pad is designed something like a waterproof stuff sack. You inflate thru this large opening, and then close is by rolling it several times and clipping it closed. Haven't read any recent reviews on this style, but their were many initial reviews that complained about leaks (perhaps the rollup closure wasn't working as designed). There's also a small weight penalty for these (as well as additional $$$).

grubbster
09-05-2017, 16:28
Which brief/underware would you suggest to wick away moisture and prevent chaffing. Plan on being on trail two weeks.
Thank you.
As far as underwear I would recommend using boxer briefs or regular boxers, depending on your preference. Regular briefs are no bueno for me. Brands can be anything from the high dollar exoffico to wally world brands. Just make sure they are synthetic.

Tinstaafl
09-06-2017, 21:25
I've been using a $39 inflatable and happy as pie with it, at least in warm weather. 1.5" thick, 16 ounces, and very comfortable. I'm a side sleeper, and get absolutely none of the dreaded hipbone discomfort--with no padding underneath it at all. Can't speak to its longevity; I've only had it out a half-dozen times. But at that price I wouldn't mind buying a new one every season.

Don't really see the point in a self-inflating if you're trying to get your pack weight down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYYVWKY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maineiac64
09-06-2017, 21:38
Nemo Tensor Insulated, warm, comfy, quiet.

bigcranky
09-06-2017, 22:26
The Neoair is popular on the trail. They are light, roll up smaller than a water bottle, and cost a couple of arms and a leg.

I prefer to hike in nylon hiking shorts, no underwear. Less chafing that way, at least for me. If it's very cold I'll wear the lightest merino wool long john bottoms under the shorts (I like the Smartwool NTS 150-wt), often on sale at places like Sierra Trading Post but still not cheap.

TTT
09-07-2017, 07:36
The Therm-a-Rest Neoair XLite comes in various sizes and weights. The newer version has no crinkly sound if you blow it up semi-rigid. It takes many breaths to inflate it so expect to be blue in the face. Keep in mind the smaller the size... the easier to pack and inflate. Saxx underwear is very comfortable with extra material sewn in the crotch area to keep the family jewels dry and happy, and ready to be whipped out at a moments notice.

Therm-a-rest NeoAir XLite (https://www.wantitall.co.za/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-small-marigold__b00pzl16xo)

KDogg
09-07-2017, 11:03
Klymit mats are awesome and relatively cheap.

Wore compression boxers on my thru. No chaffing.

HooKooDooKu
09-07-2017, 12:22
The Therm-a-Rest Neoair XLite comes in various sizes and weights. The newer version has no crinkly sound if you blow it up semi-rigid. It takes many breaths to inflate it so expect to be blue in the face.
No reason to be blue in the face...

It's not like blowing up a rubber balloon. The only resistance is the resistance of blowing air thru the valve (if you have the pad already unfolded).
Any if you don't want to use your breath, there are several accessories available:

3oz battery operated pump (https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/mattress-accessories/neoair-mini-pump)
3oz Stuff sack / pump sack (https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/mattress-accessories/neoair-pump-sack)
1oz Air Tap (https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/mattress-accessories/neoair-airtap-pump)

I've been using the Air Tap with a standard kitchen garbage bag. I started using it because I didn't want to get all the moisture from my breath inside the pad (moisture caused the inner baffles to delaminate on the 1st NeoAir I owned... but Thermarest replaced that one).

Similar to the Air Tap and Pump Sack, I've seen a YouTube video where a guy simply uses the bag he uses as a pack liner. I had a problem getting enough of a seal between the large opening of the bag around the small valve to make that work. I tried incorporating the Air Tap into my pack liner. That works... but my typical set of steps calls for setting up my pad and sleeping bag before getting all the cloths and stuff out of my pack liner. So it became more convenient to simply carry a separate kitchen garbage bag with the Air Tap.

LittleTim
09-07-2017, 22:02

Second the Neo xlite. Newer version. Still makes a bit of noise but well worth it for the insulation value. Unless the extra $ is gonna break you, go straight for this one. As soon as temps get below 40, you'll be very happy you spent the extra dime for something that is the same weight and better comfort. That almost never happens in the hiking world.

TTT
09-07-2017, 23:16
The reason I'm blue in the face and suffer for my beauty sleep, is because there's a small, regular and a large Neo Xlite. I''m a nerd and bought the large. Size matters! Because I live a few thousand miles away from the nearest REI, and am tired of buying off the internet and paying delivery costs and custom duties, I can only get a pump sack or motor when I touch down. (by plane that is) Considering that I will spend half my time passed out and dreaming of food, it's still a wise investment.

cliffordbarnabus
09-07-2017, 23:33
the best brand of underwear :

"commando"

tflaris
09-08-2017, 07:53
Very early models were very crinkly sounding because the outer material looked/felt something like mylar. Just about any movement made a crinkly sound.

But the second generation xlite has an outer material that's has more of a plastic/rubber feel. That keeps the outside quite, but the inner baffles are still made of something like mylar that can still ahve a crinkly sound when you move around. However, the amount of noise is heavily dependent on the inflation level of the pad.

The newest type of Xlite is the MAX SV (speed valve). The idea is that rather than blowing into a small inflation tube, the top of the pad is designed something like a waterproof stuff sack. You inflate thru this large opening, and then close is by rolling it several times and clipping it closed. Haven't read any recent reviews on this style, but their were many initial reviews that complained about leaks (perhaps the rollup closure wasn't working as designed). There's also a small weight penalty for these (as well as additional $$$).

The inflation bag works well. It has double use for me as a tent bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk