PDA

View Full Version : Water update for Pen Mar to Pine Grove Furnace?

Dobie Swift
09-05-2017, 10:16
Can anyone comment on the water availability on the trail between Pen Mar and Pine Grove Furnace? I'm still a couple of weeks away from my trip... who would be a good source of information? AT Museum, Ironmasters, Pine Grove Furnace park office?

Thanks

Crossup
09-11-2017, 14:18
Sorry its not much but I day hiked from Mountain Creek RV campground to the James Fry Shelter 2 weeks ago(and Caladonia this past weekend) and can report that Tag Run and the shelter spring are in good shape. In general from Caladonia to the Fry shelter, streams, and springs seemed to be doing well

Dobie Swift
09-11-2017, 14:30
Sorry its not much but I day hiked from Mountain Creek RV campground to the James Fry Shelter 2 weeks ago(and Caladonia this past weekend) and can report that Tag Run and the shelter spring are in good shape. In general from Caladonia to the Fry shelter, streams, and springs seemed to be doing well

Thanks Crossup, I appreciate this info. I've looked at rainfall totals and recent precipitation and it looks like we will be in good shape.

Crossup
09-11-2017, 18:44
I'm hoping to do Caladonia/Michaux in the next few weeks myself, was a bit dissappointed to find camping restrictions in Caladonia but at least Northern Michaux has lots of trail campsites between shelters.

Spirit Walker
09-11-2017, 21:44
Water in the creeks is low right now, but we're expecting rain over the next week. Keep an eye on the weather reports.

Gambit McCrae
09-12-2017, 07:32
I did this stretch plus some last October. If water levels are consistent monthly per year. water was abundant from Pen Mar to Tumbling run shelter.
Caledonia SP had a good flowing creek on south side.
Quarry Gap Strong flow
Water at Milesburn Cabin
Water flow strong at Birch Run shelter - A few sources in between there and Iron Masters Mansion.

Iron Masters Mansion was open and a nice place to stay, but the concessions were closed in October during the week when I was there.