PDA

View Full Version : Hikers Favorite Type of Music

LostInSpace
02-03-2006, 21:33
I am curious about the favorite type of music of the AT hikers. My favorite, Bluegrass (I was born in KY ... the state, not the jelly) had a revival in the the Washington, DC area in the '80s and '90s, but has faded in recent years.

zachv
02-03-2006, 21:48
bluegrass music...its finger pickin good!

Heater
02-03-2006, 21:49
Mostly what I listen to is a kind of country bluegrass mix you find a lot with the local music here in Austin.

OTOH... I just listened to "Tarantula" by The Scabs. (another local band)Sort of a fast latin beat. One of my all-time favorite songs and favorite bands as well.

awol
02-03-2006, 22:42
Hikers don't listen to Rock? ***?:cool:

betic4lyf
02-03-2006, 22:43
a lot of stuff. you missed some great ones, namely folk. i personally listen to classic rock, folk, the blues.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2006, 22:44
Pink Floyd.

MisterSweetie
02-03-2006, 23:39
classic rock here, but also some instrumental that'd fall into folk or jazz or new age, and some jam band stuff. really the only thing I can absolutely not stand to listen to is new country and religious music. I like old country, alt country, etc. so yah. I didn't vote though. :)

Doctari
02-04-2006, 10:12
Didn't vote, would have voted, in no particular order:

Rock (Oldies, Heavy metal, etc.)
Jazz
Blues
Clasical
Renaissance (1500 to early 1600s, english mostly)

I'll also listen to:
Some country
Less Bluegrass

Just my $0.02

Doctari.

Lilred
02-04-2006, 10:43
Pink Floyd.

Ahhhh yes. Came upon a cave once while hiking and immediately the thought entered my head, " I wonder if there's a bunch of small furry animals groovin with a pict in there?" Odd the things that pop in one's head while hikin.

Saw a t-shirt once that had a picture on it of Floyd the Barber from The Andy Griffith show. The t-shirt was pink...... THAT was a great shirt.

Max Power
02-04-2006, 10:52
Indie Folk is great on the trail. Artists like Iron and Wine, Bonnie Prince Billy, and Sun Kil Moon.

KirkMcquest
02-04-2006, 12:35
Love Credence

Topcat
02-04-2006, 17:18
its not a fair question because each category has good and bad, and the good is good.

Right now i am listening to:
Jack Johnson
Dave Matthews
Iron and wine
Nickle Creek
The Shins
Wilco

but that will change next month, as it should

mdionne
02-04-2006, 18:43
:-?
while hiking:
phish
the dead
SCI
YMSB
New Monsoon
JGB
leftover salmon

at camp:
railroad earth
YMSB
garcia/grisman
keller
ricky skaggs(bluegrass, not country)
tony rice
bela fleck

and many, many more...

betic4lyf
02-04-2006, 19:16
i am not a big fan of new popular music, like rap or punkrock/emo. it just makes me angry, because it is inflamatory without being good. thats just me though.

For the longest time, after buying pinkfloyd's dark side of the moon, i was puzzled. i only listened to the first bit, and it just was boring. ooh great thumping. then i listened to it on a car ride, the whole way through, and i was hooked. pink floyd rock..

another grate that noone has mentioned is Jimi Hendrix. what a guy.

Sly
02-04-2006, 20:56
I listened to Pink Floyd's "Pulse" cassette for about 4000 miles and never got bored with it. The best for climbing and ridge walking/air guitar. :)

Alligator
02-04-2006, 22:07
I listened to Pink Floyd's "Pulse" cassette for about 4000 miles and never got bored with it. The best for climbing and ridge walking/air guitar. :)
The little red blinking light on my Pulse CDs lasted over 7 years.

The Will
02-04-2006, 22:15
Neil Young!

Papa Razzi
02-04-2006, 23:59
In no particular order,
Tom Waits
Warren Zevon
Steve Earle
Lucinda Williams
Wilco
Carbon Leaf
and Bruuuuuuccce!!!

The Desperado
02-05-2006, 02:07
Neil young...delta blues...bluegrass...class. rock

wyclif
02-05-2006, 03:00
Probably old-school, but who can deny lyrics like:

Leaves are falling all around,
It’s time I was on my way.
Thanks to you, I’m much obliged
For such a pleasant stay.

But now it’s time for me to go,
The autumn moon lights my way.
For now I smell the rain,
And with it pain,
And it’s headed my way.
Ah, sometimes I grow so tired,
But I know I’ve got one thing I got to do,

Ramble on,
And now’s the time, the time is now
To sing my song.
I’m goin’ ’round the world,
I got to find my girl, on my way.
I’ve been this way ten years to the day, ramble on,
Gotta find the queen of all my dreams.

"Ramble On" --Led Zeppelin II

dixiehiker
02-05-2006, 04:05
I love three categories best.... classical / modern classical (Josh Groban), bluegrass (mostly Christian themed), and believe it or not, pop when I want to hear something with a beat to move or walk to!!!!
-dixiehiker

MOWGLI
02-05-2006, 09:36
Neli Young
Van Morrison
Ryan Adams
Wilco
Lucinda Williams
Bob Dylan
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Old Timey Bluegrass
James Taylor

Too many to list. I am really fond of acoustic music.

Favorite trail song? Terrapin Station gets lodged in my head sometimes.

BigE
02-05-2006, 12:26
Railroad Earth - For me without question the best hiking/mountain music I have ever heard. If you have not heard these guys, check 'em out. Awesome alt./progressive bluegrass.

=e=

Vi+
02-05-2006, 12:30
The first music I heard which really impressed me was the Fifth Symphony, by Ludwig van Beethoven. The dynamic ranges between the high and low notes, loud and soft volumes, even the silences played between musical notes remain unequaled.

Some of the passions expressed in classical music and opera I also find, though grittier, in blues music.

I rank the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd among the artists producing some rock and roll which hasn’t been beaten.

Overall though, for me, if I could listen to only one style of music it would be classical, without any doubt.

k4kam
02-05-2006, 15:29
Wagner's operas (especially the "Ring" cycle).

Heater
02-06-2006, 01:46
Goldberg variations? The well tempered clavier?

Shiraz-mataz
02-06-2006, 09:17
Ever since I was a wee tot growing up in South Cackalacky, I generally listened to country music. Perhaps it was from a sense of connectedness with my southern heritage but more likely it was because that's what my parents and most of my friends listed to. Country was my music of choice for years, even after moving to Maryland until one day when I was on business travel. The rental car radio had all the presets on rock stations and as I drove away from the airport I was hooked by the hard-hitting, angst filled music that filled my ears. Nickleback... Creed... Evanessence... There was no going back to the twangy tunes of my ill-spent youth!

Kerosene
02-06-2006, 09:32
I'll listen to pretty much anything with the exception of country, hard rap, and opera. Of course, my 15-year old daughter forces me to listen to this stuff anyway (she's an aspiring opera singer).

Jaybird
02-06-2006, 10:22
I am curious about the favorite type of music of the AT hikers. My favorite, Bluegrass (I was born in KY ... the state, not the jelly) had a revival in the the Washington, DC area in the '80s and '90s, but has faded in recent years.

I voted for BLUEGRASS because your POLL only let you vote for 1 choice.
I've very eclectic music tastes....i might listen to NEW GRASS REVIVAL followed by LED ZEPPELIN followed by some classic DAVE BRUBECK...

BUT, i have to be honest about this...most times...i dont take TUNES with me on the trail...i enjoy listening to the sounds of NATURE...:D

c.coyle
02-06-2006, 10:27
When I want to zone out and just get through the last few miles, nothing puts me in zombie mode better than jazz running 'round my brain. Parker and Coltrane, especially.

Those long Allman Brothers jams - Whipping Post, Elizabeth Reed, Mountain Jam - also work for me.

minnesotasmith
02-06-2006, 10:40
I'd prefer to only hear my music (New Age ala Enya, pre-1900s classical, smooth jazz), or no music at all.;) Country with extra twang and foreign music (other than East Asian, which I find OK) both particularly bug me. However, I have a special dislike for ever hearing rap "music", which I regard as a contraction (they always leave off the "c" in front, for some reason). A perfect T-shirt IMO: http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=535

RedneckRye
02-06-2006, 11:12
Metal. Lots of Metal.

minnesotasmith
02-06-2006, 11:14
Metal. Lots of Metal.

Ah. Music meant to take impure LSD by. (As I don't ever do that, black metal/alternative has little place in my life.) ;)

scothiker
02-06-2006, 12:47
You missed one - Celtic music - in this order:

Alasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas
Dougie Maclean
Skyedance
Natalie MacMaster
Peat Bog Faeries

and Georgia's own Emerald Rose.

Also that blend of bluegrass and God-knows-what played by Mark O'Connor, Bela Fleck and and collaborators. So innovative, every store places it in a different category.

Appalachian Pickin' Society.

Mark O'Connor, Yo-Yo Ma and Edgar Meyer's "Appalachian Journey" and "Appalachia Waltz".

Good stuff.

Mags
02-06-2006, 13:02
Willie Nelson (Teatro and Spirit are must listens!)
Emmylou Harris (just about anything!)
Nick Cave
Mark Lanegan
Daniel Lanois
..and many others. But those above seem to be in "constant play" list

Wings
02-06-2006, 13:37
You forgot Indie. There was no category so I put it in New Stuff.

RedneckRye
02-06-2006, 15:52
Metal. Lots of Metal.

RedneckRye
02-06-2006, 16:00
Meant to quote myself and MinnesotaSmith, not post again. I seem to recall most of the impure LSD experience being tied to The Dead, etc. Saw many, many a lost wasted soul when I followed them around during their last few years. Luckily I reverted back to my metal roots.

Klezmorim
02-06-2006, 17:10
Texas Swing. Ah-HAAAA!!

QHShowoman
02-06-2006, 17:36
I love acoustic singer/songwriters of the rock/roots/folk variety, especially Indigo Girls and Michelle Malone.

Lump76
02-06-2006, 19:09
In no particular order...

Jump, Little Children (aka Jump)
James Taylor
Bob Dylan
Dave Matthews
Johnny Cash
Jack Johnson
David Wilcox
John Gorka
Nancy Griffin
Allison Kraus
Counting Crows
Cranberries
Nickel Creek
Caedmon's Call
Bebo Norman

themooseisloose
02-06-2006, 19:27
JIMMY BUFFETT!
Dar Williams
Bob Marley
Queen
They Might Be Giants
Green Day
Snoop Dogg
Nelly
Built to Spill
Jackson Brown
Wilco

QHS - I went to more Indigo Girls shows in college than I can count, but I prefer the solo stuff these days.

tsali
02-06-2006, 19:32
not a huge fan of old time bluegrass, but i really dig the "newgrass". I grew up in the back woods of GA so I guess it is in my blood. If you have not yet experienced Grey Fox festival it is a must.

Seeker
02-06-2006, 21:50
Motley Crue
Van Halen
Steppenwolf
Jimi Hendrix
Poison
Def Leppard
Cream
Dio
Rammstein
Ted Nugent
Alabama
Flatt and Scruggs
Molly Hatchet
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Kiss
Mozart
Hayden
Bach
Beethoven
Wagner (yeah, the ring cycle is a good one...)
Norah Jones
Anything hammer dulcimer, harp, or bagpipe
AC/DC
Boston
Anything not Led Zeppelin, not country, and not rap.

(no, i can't explain it... mozart and eddie van halen both play(ed) a stringed instrument... that's as close as i can get... and yes, i do get weird looks at work.)

Skidsteer
02-06-2006, 21:54
(no, i can't explain it... mozart and eddie van halen both play(ed) a stringed instrument... that's as close as i can get... and yes, i do get weird looks at work.)

The scary thing is...I think I get it! :D

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 23:31
Gospel, Spirituals, Country, Country-Rock, Folk, classical

betic4lyf
02-07-2006, 02:35
not trying to be offensive, just asking. how is indy a genre. it seems like it is a descriptive term for bands that are on independent labels, but it would seem like you could have a "indy" rapper, and a "indy" punk rocker. it just doesnt seem like a cohesive genre

Cookerhiker
02-07-2006, 10:07

I picked Classical but as Scotshiker pointed out, you missed Celtic. Also like folk and occasionally Cajun.

Favorites in no particular order:

Mozart (this year's the 250th annniversary of his birth)
Telemann
Bach
Vivaldi
Handel

Celtic reels, airs, jigs
Anything involving bagpipes, Celtic harp, hammered dulcimer, oboe, trumpet, french horn
Many Christian hymns

For summiting Katahdin, my first choice was Handel's Allegro: Alla Hornpipe

RockyTrail
02-07-2006, 11:49
Awwright, Whiteblaze!

Country rocks, but Bluegrass rules!

It's hard to beat RickySkaggs & Kentucky Thunder when they do their hard-drivin' version of Bill Monroe's "Get Up John"... check it out sometime, but I warn you it's addictive!:sun

mdionne
02-07-2006, 23:00
Awwright, Whiteblaze!

Country rocks, but Bluegrass rules!

It's hard to beat RickySkaggs & Kentucky Thunder when they do their hard-drivin' version of Bill Monroe's "Get Up John"... check it out sometime, but I warn you it's addictive!:sun

WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL DONE ROCKY!!!!:clap

NECKBONE
02-21-2006, 21:31
Def Leppard. neckbone.

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2006, 21:42
Here's 13 for starters...

*Johnny Cash
*Bruce Springsteen and the E Strreet Band
*Pink Floyd
*U2
*Led Zeppelin
*Roy Orbison
*Emmylou Harris
*Randy Travis
*Kris Kristofferson
*Little Feat
*The Who
*Jerry Jeff Walker
*Janis Joplin

TOW
02-21-2006, 21:49
i like classic country with a bluegrass twist like ricky scaggs............but merle hagard, george strait are tops.........and as an eye catcher ole dolly still gives me "let's get up and get going....."

roxy33x
02-21-2006, 22:51
I listen to anything with a beat... Rock is by far the best to hike to!!

The Desperado
02-21-2006, 23:19
I like most all of it! Partial to delta blues, classical rock & classical.

Mouse
02-21-2006, 23:22
Earworms, of course! Zero weight no batteries needed walkman!
:banana

saimyoji
02-21-2006, 23:30
What was it Merle Haggard was arrested for again?

saimyoji
02-21-2006, 23:33
Oh yeah, now I remember. Truly someone to admire.

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-250262-bio--Merle-Haggard

"I'm proud to be..." -not a criminal.

Diomede
02-22-2006, 00:40
Dispatch, Pepper, OAR. Check 'em out- seriously.

bfitz
02-22-2006, 00:55
Metal. Lots of Metal.
YEAH!! Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate, new stuff...Children of Bodom...Poll answers need revising.

freefall
02-22-2006, 00:57
On heavy mileage days-

Flyleaf
korn
Crutch
Buckcherry
Avenged Sevenfold

On easy/laid back days-

Van Morrison
Bob Marley
James Taylor
Miranda Lambert:D(my next future ex)
Chris Leduex

Disney
02-22-2006, 04:50
There's no category for other. My favorite kind is Irish music.

And here's a perfect hiker verse:

There's many that feign enjoyment,
From merciless employment.
Their ambition was this deployment,
From the minute they left the school.
They save and scrape and ponder.
The rest go out and squander.
See the world and rove and wander,
And they're happier as a rule.

Then you've got other great choruses like:
"I'm at my best when my boots were thin,
I'll see the world by the mile."

And (I think) perfect for the Billville them this year (pirates of the appalachian) is the "Bandit Song"

Oh I am a rover, I roam the land over,
And I'll never settle until I get caught.
From village to township, my sword hangs at my hip,
And you'll never catch me I'll always be sought.

I won't waste more space putting more down, but suffice to say, it fits hiking. And pirating for that matter.

Teatime
02-23-2006, 01:49
I love Baroque period music. Mozart is about as "modern" as I like my classical music, though I do like some Beethoven.
I also listen to Christian/Sacred music, especially anything by John Michael Talbot.
I like some Bluegrass, Oldies, Classic Rock and even some of the more modern stuff. I especially like U2. What I listen to at any given time depends on my mood, as I suppose it does with many of us.

freefall
02-23-2006, 01:58
On heavy mileage days-

Flyleaf
korn
Crutch
Buckcherry
Avenged Sevenfold

On easy/laid back days-

Van Morrison
Bob Marley
James Taylor
Miranda Lambert:D(my next future ex)
Chris Leduex

Guess I should have added, this list is for when I carry a mp3 player, etc...
This hike I'll be carrying aradio so guess it's whatever comes in.

Teatime
02-23-2006, 04:31
Hey, what about show tunes/musicals?

I like:
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Oklahoma
The Sound of Music
My Fair Lady
The Music Man
Singin in the Rain
South Pacific
Carousel
Showboat

Blissful
02-23-2006, 21:21
Hey, what about show tunes/musicals?

I like:
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Oklahoma
The Sound of Music
My Fair Lady
The Music Man
Singin in the Rain
South Pacific
Carousel
Showboat

Oh, yeah! :banana Climb Every Mountain!

And how about Movie Soundtracks? Besides listening to Christian groups, I like the soundtracks to the Lewis and Clark documentary from PBS, Last of the Mohicans, Braveheart, The Patriot, all three Lord of the Rings, and Pirates of the Caribbean.

april2006
02-23-2006, 22:55
I guess I'm a bit different - I either like a song or I don't - it doesn't matter what type of music it is. I picked country because that's what I usually listen to (not much else comes in on the radio here in rural WV and I don't have a CD player in my '94 Cavalier):rolleyes: But I've listened to all kinds of music and I can usually find some songs I love and others I hate. My ex was really into "alternative" (Beck and some others I can't even remember). I even found some of that to like. And there's some country songs that if they come on the radio, the radio goes off.

Wolfpaw
02-23-2006, 23:00
RADIOHEAD

WHAT ELSE

xXIndyXx
02-23-2006, 23:50
YEAH!! Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate, new stuff...Children of Bodom...Poll answers need revising.

Finally, some people with good taste
I love the way that metal has been the most extreme form of the 1 st ammendment. There is no other music that you can let yourself loose and lose your mind too. It's a shame that Metal is not included into your poll.

Slayer
Mudvayne
Tool
Deftones
Acid Bath
Alice In Chains
Rage Against the Machine
Black Sabbath
Black Label Society
Bloodsimple
Vision of Disorder
Corrosion of Conformity
Damageplan
Danzig
Dog Fashion Disco
Electric Wizard
Orange Goblin
Evergreen Terrace
Faith No More
Lollipop Lust Kill
Skynyrd
MASTODON
Misfits
Stemm
Sevendust
Slipknot
Just to name a few, but mostly

DEFTONES DEFTONES, more DEFTONES then MUDVAYNE & MASTODON

SGTdirtman
02-27-2006, 18:29
Oh sure... Bluegrass is a favorite, but i start playing dueling banjos, foggy moutain breakdown and the appalachian stomp off in the woods while making pig noises and I dont see another hiker for 10 miles. :rolleyes:

luckliver
03-03-2006, 20:32
Give me Brahms and nothing can stop me!!!

irritable_badger
03-03-2006, 21:07
a lot of stuff. you missed some great ones, namely folk. i personally listen to classic rock, folk, the blues.

Yeah man, no Folk option. I had to vote for Rap.

BooBoo
03-12-2006, 03:39
Hmmm....

Grateful Dead
Allman Bros.
Pink Floyd
Gov't Mule
SplitLip Rayfield

various other groups in the Jam Band / NewGrass genre

Folk
Bluegrass

Blues (Ben Miller Band rules!)

Jazz

Zydeco!!! Chubby Carrier and The Bayou Swamp Band rock!

squirrel bait
03-12-2006, 09:34
Kentucky HeadHunters
Asleep at the Wheel
and of course CCR who made us forget about the Beatles. Saimyjo should pick music/songs before/only dogging others choices. In the words of Merle, "should stop doing wrong, start doing right".

weary
03-12-2006, 10:17
its not a fair question because each category has good and bad, and the good is good.
"If it sounds good, it is good:" Duke Ellington .

saimyoji
03-12-2006, 16:34
Kentucky HeadHunters
Asleep at the Wheel
and of course CCR who made us forget about the Beatles. Saimyjo should pick music/songs before/only dogging others choices. In the words of Merle, "should stop doing wrong, start doing right".

Never 'dogged' anyones music preferences. Think about what I wrote. My personal music preferences are not people to admire either. Follow the link and read about his life. "Stop doing wrong, starte doing right": something old Merle never figured out how to do.

"Die with your boots on." Bruce Dickenson

2Discover
03-12-2006, 16:43
Stuff with a good beat

Jason Mraz
Jack Johnson
ACDC
bluegrass
rock
no country (most of it is depressing)
Shane and Shane
Pearl Jam

SGTdirtman
03-12-2006, 18:07
Kentucky HeadHunters

I have a new found respect for you...

No Belay
03-13-2006, 14:08
I enjoy any kind of music, besides rap, that doesn't result in Earworms.

Jerm
04-02-2006, 06:09
where is the category for:
METAL

Jaybird
04-02-2006, 08:56
another grate that noone has mentioned is Jimi Hendrix. what a guy.

HENDRIX is a class of music all its own!:D

bfitz
04-02-2006, 20:51
where is the category for:
METAL
The Gods Made Heavy Metal

In the beginning there was silence and darkness
All across the earth
Then came the wind and a hole in the sky
Thunder and lightning came crashing down
Hit the earth and split the ground
Fire burned high in the sky

From down below fire melted the stone
The ground shook and started to pound

The gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good
They said to play it louder than hell
We promised that we would
When losers say it’s over with you know that it’s a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it’s never gonna die

We are the true believers
It’s our turn to show the world
In the fire of heavy metal we were burned
It’s more than our religion it’s the only way to live
But the enemies of metal we can’t forgive

Cause we believe in the power and the might
And the gods who made metal are with us tonight

We believe in the power and the might

We’re here tonight for heavy metal are you ready in the hall
They have chosen us and we have heard the call
Gonna tear the roof off with out sound

Crack the walls and shake the ground
Fight tonight for metal one and all
Cause we believe in the power and the might

-Manowar

slingblade
04-09-2006, 10:07
Bluegrass/Acoustic Americana always get me up the mountain. AH-ITE-DEN

PolarFox
04-09-2006, 23:45
Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Warren Zevon, Townes Van Zandt, Tom Petty, Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Thelonious Monk, Coleman Hawkins, Gillian Welch, Patsy Cline, Marvin Gaye, Chili Peppers, Brahams, and that guy who's name I can't remember plus some other stuff.

docllamacoy
05-05-2006, 20:41
Bluegrass.

fiddlehead
05-05-2006, 21:20
pink floyd is my choice when in the woods. If i'm partying or out in a club, i prefer DMB, Jack Johnson, good reggae.

gr8fulyankee
05-08-2006, 16:50
Hiking I like to listen to Nature

At camp, I listen to Grateful Dead (duh), Blue Grass, YMSB, Pink Floyd, Neil young... you get the idea.

c.coyle
05-08-2006, 17:08
... Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Thelonious Monk, Coleman Hawkins ... that guy who's name I can't remember ...

I was beginning to think I was the only hard bopper here. That guy you can't remember is Dexter Gordon.

icemanat95
05-08-2006, 18:28
Pink Floyd.

Wold, you aren't thr first person I've run into who liked Pink Floyd in the woods. I'm still not sure. I've got Dark Side of the Moon cued up right now on iTunes.

For myself, Whatever comes into my head. One of the nice things about having been a musician/singer for so long is that the jukebox in my head is well stocked and doesn't need batteries.

grrickar
05-08-2006, 20:31
Breathe, Breathe in the air,
Don't be afraid to care,
Leave, but don't leave me,
Look around, choose your own ground....

Yeah...Pink Floyd is music good for all occasions. Meddle is one of their best albums. I used to love Dark Side of the Moon until I ran across that CD. Obscured by Clouds is ...different... but good as well. It is interesting to listen to all of their stuff and see how the band found their musical style. A lot of the early stuff reminded me of the Doors like 'Set the Controls' and such.

Coldplay is not bad, and I got into them for awhile. I like classic rock mainly, like Boston, the Stones, Neil Young, Journey - and of course Blue Oyster Cult! More COWBELL...yes more cowbell indeed (for those of you who missed that reference, you missed one of the funniest SNL episodes EVER)

adh24
05-09-2006, 10:28
Wilco
Yonder Mountain String Band
Billy Brag
Radiohead
Mason Jennings
Iron and Wine
Sufjan Stevens (My new favorite; really like nothing I've ever heard)
Andrew Bird
My Morning Jacket

Just to name a few

vortex
05-09-2006, 12:36
Leftover Salmon, Widespread Panic, The Dead, JGB, Phish, and Any and All Bluegrass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rift Zone
05-17-2006, 20:13
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Marley
Santana
Erykah Badu
Outkast
-And the wonderful sounds of nature, of course!

grrickar, I'm listening to Echoes right now... Still, think I prefer "Animals" over "Meddle". Either way, ya just cant go wrong with some Floyd. :-? Is it just me or is "Wish you were Here" a universal camp fire song?

Uncle Silly
05-23-2006, 19:27
My iPod takes 8 strings, 1 pick, 0 batteries, and plays any song in any genre that I can remember... :D

(yes, it even plays Pink Floyd, and lots of it, as long as there's a guitarist around to lead...)

bfitz
05-26-2006, 00:38
Just to reiterate: KING DIAMOND RULZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Uncle Silly
05-29-2006, 15:33
King Diamond... was that what Jester was trying to torture us with on Sunday evening?

Walkingdude
05-29-2006, 18:56
I don't see "silence" on the list.

Uncle Silly
05-30-2006, 12:04

It's right there under folk ... see the "Simon & Garfunkel" option? :cool:

bfitz
05-31-2006, 19:56
King Diamond... was that what Jester was trying to torture us with on Sunday evening?
If it was Jester, it might have been Neil Diamond, but I doubt it was the King. However, some of it was blasting from my campsite in the Dryland vicinity behind Mala's canopy during traildays...along with Mercyful Fate, Danzig, Helstar, Iron Maiden, Dark Tranquility among others like Hot Tuna and Roy Buchannan...in between bluegrass jams round the fire...and one late night playing of Venom's live classic "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik".

bfitz
05-31-2006, 19:59
Check out the Anthrax song "Among the Living" here quoted...
"I'm the walkin dude!
I can see all the world..."

BDT
06-16-2006, 20:46
Psychedelic metal gets my vote.

TOOL anyone?

Ewker
06-16-2006, 20:49
electronica

SawnieRobertson
06-16-2006, 21:17
RE Pink Floyd. Very emotional. I love it. But I am not the only one in my car who likes to hear it. Last year when I had ten Standard Poodle puppies whom I would have to transport 30 miles to the vet, well, they would cry. Ten puppies crying is a lot of loud crying, especially for a total of 60 miles. I found that, if I played Pink Floyd, they would become quiet and stay that way. I think it was the deep tones. I was going to try Moody Blues, which has similar tones, but I hated to chance having them begin the yelping again. Pink Floyd never failed to work.--KInnickinic

Tinker
06-16-2006, 23:38
Gospel is missing from the categories mentioned.

Otherwise, I like classical (no, not classic rock), and bluegrass (strange mix, huh, but only if you don't know me). Btw, if I expect the weather to be good, often I'll bring my little backpacking guitar and make my own music.

Needles
06-19-2006, 03:55
Sex Pistols, Libertines, Del McCoury Band, Ashley MacIsaac, Sly and the Family Stone, Fats Domino, Velvet Underground, Public Enemy, Blind Boys from Alabama, Pine Mountain Railroad, George Jones, The Bad Plus, Ornette Coleman, Dave Brubeck, Howlin Wolf, Prince, Professor Longhair, Steve Earl, Kanye West, Fairfield Four, Ronda Vincent, Rancid, Iggy Pop, New York Dolls, Lyle Lovett, Aretha Franklin, ABBA, The Weavers, Robert Johnson...

If it is good I listen to it, screw the genre labels, just give me something original, interesting, and a bit challenging from time to time and I'm happy.

Sarge
06-19-2006, 06:22
I sat on top of Cheoah Bald one day and listened to Pink Floyd "Comfortably Numb". One of the greatest experiences I had on the trail.