PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola approach to woody Gap in December?

Dynastyfsu
09-06-2017, 09:23
I have a group that wants to do a day or two on the AT, and the only weekend we have free is the first weekend in Dec. Anyone done this section in December previously? Any weather concerns? Are the water sources still available that time of year?

skater
09-06-2017, 18:25
For a group, you will probably need 3 days for AFSP to Woody, unless it is a group of very experienced hikers. No way to tell weather specifics this far out, but your biggest danger is probably rain. A cold day plus rain is a hypothermia dream team. Other than that, if you can handle moderate cold, you'll probably do OK. I doubt water sources will be a major problem that time of year. However, you might not have water at Cooper Gap so plan accordingly.

Note that the new route around Justus Mountain is open, so you can avoid that little hill. No water on the bypass, AFAIK.

Slo-go'en
09-06-2017, 21:47
What your really looking for is a simple in-and-out Saturday night'er. Woody Gap to Gooch is a reasonably easy 5.2 miles and would be a good place to go to that time of year.

The main issue is daylight hours are about a short as they get and that cuts into the time you have to hike, and do camp chores while it's light. Amicalola to Woody is nearly 30 miles and that's a 2 night, 3 day hike min. Then if you plan on spotting cars as to avoid needing a shuttle, that eats the better part of a day, so now your up to a 4 or 5 day trip.

Dan Roper
09-06-2017, 22:59
December could be awesome - cool and crisp - or flat out dangerously miserable. It's just a complete roll of the dice with no way of knowing until shortly before. The 10-day forecast might give a general idea, but the forecast won't become reasonably clear until about three or four days out. And, as you probably know, weather at 3k can be much different than at 1k.

You're 42, so if you're reasonably fit, you'll be capable of doing pretty good mileage. You could handle Springer to Woody Gap - roughly 22 miles, including the out-and-back to the beginning point - in two days, one night.

Water will be abundantly available.

Gambit McCrae
09-07-2017, 09:52
What your really looking for is a simple in-and-out Saturday night'er. Woody Gap to Gooch is a reasonably easy 5.2 miles and would be a good place to go to that time of year.

The main issue is daylight hours are about a short as they get and that cuts into the time you have to hike, and do camp chores while it's light. Amicalola to Woody is nearly 30 miles and that's a 2 night, 3 day hike min. Then if you plan on spotting cars as to avoid needing a shuttle, that eats the better part of a day, so now your up to a 4 or 5 day trip.

I like this advice. I did neels to spring + approach in 2 days. But it was summer, I was solo and extremely conditioned back then. Not that it was a crazy feat, but its a good accomplishment. For a group in winter, I would suggest skipping the approach trail. If you want to see springer, park at the springer parking lot, hike up for night 1 and tent on springer around the shelter. Night 2 go nobo on the AT until you would like to stop, next day head back to the car. 5-8 miles max per day for folks that are not experienced.