PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Center VT South to North Adams MA

spfleisig
09-07-2017, 08:31
I'm looking for any insight into travelling south from Manchester Center VT (mile mark 539.1/1,650.7) to mile mark North Adams (mile mark 598.7/1,591.1). Looking to get out in the next couple of weeks.

Anything unusual or noteworthy about this section? Typical trail conditions? Bugs? Camping off trail instead of at shelters? Ease of getting water? Resupplies? Is it a "nice" section? Boring section?

Thanks

rafe
09-07-2017, 08:39
Kinda boring, IMO. A lot of green tunnel, and views are scarce. Highlights: Stratton Pond, and the fire towers on Stratton and on Glastonbury. Water is not generally a problem here. Bugs should not be a big problem this time of year.

moldy
09-07-2017, 09:25
Great section to hike in late Sept early Oct. Very colorful. You will never have to stay at a shelter and you can find a place to camp with ease all along your route. Water should be a snap. Bennington Vt. is a good place to take a zero. It's an easy hitch or you can take the free bus. You have picked a great section at the best time of year.

Slo-go'en
09-07-2017, 10:02
Please stay at the shelters. They won't be very busy and it will be a lot more convenient. I have to disagree with Moldy - finding places to camp off trail is not easy and not very practical. Especially that time of year when it will be getting dark about 6:30 PM.

If you do not stay at a shelter, there will be no water, there will be no place to sit and cook, you can't build a fire to stay warm or have something to do during the long, dark evenings, plus you will have to clear a spot for your tent and trash the woods doing it. You will be camped on a slope, on rocks and roots and tree branches. It just isn't worth it.

Yes, it's mostly a walk in woods, but a colorful woods.

Jeff
09-07-2017, 13:59
Beautiful section. From Manchester south to Bennington there is only one (gravel) road crossing and it's not got a lot of traffic except perhaps weekends. In other words, if you have to bail, your options are limited. We pickup there for $50 and Taxi services will charge $65-75 to get you back to Manchester.

marthac-mtl
09-08-2017, 13:53
We are doing this section next week.. Glad to hear some positive opinions :)

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

spfleisig
09-08-2017, 14:12
We are doing this section next week.. Glad to hear some positive opinions :)

Give a post-hike review.

marthac-mtl
09-08-2017, 14:13
Give a post-hike review.

Will do!