PDA

View Full Version : Leaving stove behind

tawa
09-07-2017, 18:02
Going to leave my cooking stuff home on the next section hike.
Tell me what you would bring for five day trip that is light and energy packed?

egilbe
09-07-2017, 18:52
Nuts, nut butter, oatmeal, dried fruit, corn chips, instant potatoes, hard cheese, totillas, summer sausage, pepperoni, snickers, nido, powdered gatorade.

johnnybgood
09-07-2017, 19:06
Packages of light tuna and small flat bagels to spread them on. Cheese is always something that can go with crackers pita chips and such. Nature's Own fruit energy bars for an between snack

JC13
09-07-2017, 20:04
I go stoveless every trip. I bring a mixture of protein powder, a fruit/veggie complex and oatmeal for two meals a day. Mix with water in an empty 1lb pb jar. Sometimes I carry white chocolate pb. Corn chips are a staple as are some sort of electrolyte powder.

HooKooDooKu
09-07-2017, 21:12
Sunflower seed kernels

becfoot
09-07-2017, 21:15
If you're a coffee addict, Starbucks makes an instant iced coffee version of their via product, so you can get your fix without cooking.

LittleTim
09-07-2017, 21:40
Getting everything ready for my next little adventure, I'm at 2000cal per day at 18 ounces with only dried fruits, oatmeal, pnut butter m&ms, nuts, seeds. Still have to pack dinners (that's where I use the freezer bag cooking) and literally my whole cook kit is a cat can stove, a mini bic lighter, and a 1litre pot for only boiling water and drinking coffee/tea. Dunno your intentions of leaving the cook kit at home, but I think I've found the happy middle ground where a hot dinner is still happening at night and coffee in the morning.

HighlandsHiker
09-14-2017, 18:24
I hear you on the stoveless. I'm currently sitting in Mammoth, coming off a week on the JMT, flying home tomorrow. Once again, I just found that I have absolutely no appetite for a dehydrated meal at night - found that consistently after making camp, all I wanted to do was munch on some dried fruit / nut mix and call it a day. (I couldn't get enough of the dried mango, and I don't really care for mango!). On trail I literally lived on the dried fruit/ nut mix, clifbars (several flavors), snack-size snickers, and those Gatorade energy gels. I like my morning coffee too, but not worth carrying a stove just for that.

Curious G
09-14-2017, 20:55
I would say if the next section hike occurs during meteor logical winter then bring the stove. Even in good weather months I find that cold meals especially dinner are unrewarding and I snack more. Given the choice I gotta say tortillas, a hunk of cheese, salami, ramun, (dry or soaked no stove needed) PB, chocolate, juice mix - the kind in powder tubes with speed and vitamins built in. And honeybuns with instant coffee and cocoa in it for breakfast. Put PB on the honeybun. Dunk. Repeat. Two words: hot liquids. And if you don't what that is wait out season four. (Winter)

garlic08
09-14-2017, 22:01
Flour tortillas pack well for five days. Roll up cheese or peanut butter, or meat if you want. Muesli for breakfast and snacks, make it yourself with rolled oats, walnuts and raisins. Instant potatoes or instant refried beans with corn chips. Fig Newtons. Cashews and raisins. Dried hummus if you can find it, with crackers.

Bring plenty of fat. Peanut butter, nuts, and cheese will increase the fat content. Candy, bread, and dried fruit have half the calorie content of fat.

nsherry61
09-14-2017, 22:20
Couscous reconstitutes well and relatively quickly in cold water as an alternative to instant mashed potatoes or ramen noodles. Actually Couscous reconstitutes better than ramen and can be used in similar ways. I've made couscouse salad as a no-cook meal before, but the dried veggies didn't reconstitute particularly well in the 30 minutes I was able to give them. Couscous with chopped up cheese and dried cranberries and nuts and maybe some chunks of salami would probably make a pretty awesome salad, almost an antipasta?. You'd just have to decide what dressing to use.

saltysack
09-15-2017, 09:51
I go back and forth....stove vs no stove but recently in Co I tried my fav meal cold and honestly tasted almost as good cold. I let it sit about 30 minutes and used Luke warm water...purposely left one of my water bottles without refilling for lil while before using so wasn't cold.
Great hot or cold...
https://youtu.be/XQp81n8uzzE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk