PDA

View Full Version : Where's a funemployed gal to go?!

Puppies
09-08-2017, 23:44
I am unexpectedly "fun"employed! :bananaI have obligations early next week and have a Yosemite/Big Sur trip tentatively planned for the first week of October, but other than that I'm a free woman (thanks in advance to my BF for holding down the fort in my absence!).

I set out to thru-hike the CT a couple of years ago, but ended up needing wrist surgery right before my planned departure. That set me back a few weeks, and after a couple of weeks and 300+miles that injury flared up and took me off the trail. Part of me wants to complete the CT (I love the San Juan's), but I'd love to hear where you would go/which adventure you would choose with a month to hike around. I live in CO and have a car. Bucket-list level suggestions and practical advise are both much appreciated!

MuddyWaters
09-09-2017, 05:29
The white stuff will be returning soon. Thats issue for most places high in elevation this late in year.

If you want to finish CT, cancel plans and go tomorrow.

blw2
09-09-2017, 06:47
If the world was my oyster, I would want to do something in the Sierras.... the JMT perhaps. From what I can tell that just may very well be the most beautiful area on the planet.
But with permits and such, that may not be possible. I'd imagine there are many other really great trails out in that general area....but as an inexperienced east coaster I have no idea about them....

garlic08
09-09-2017, 07:31
Why not the San Juans? Look at the South San Juan Wilderness, which can be accessed from Cumbres Pass in New Mexico along the CDT, and hike as far as you can along the CDT in to Colorado. And look a little farther south into northern NM, in the Sangre de Cristos. Look at Mags' site (pmags.com) for ideas. He's a frequent poster here, too.

Slo-go'en
09-09-2017, 11:06
With all the fires burning and the bad air quality over much of the west as a result, you might want to head east and hike some of the AT (and dodge hurricanes instead!)

Venchka
09-11-2017, 05:11
With all the fires burning and the bad air quality over much of the west as a result, you might want to head east and hike some of the AT (and dodge hurricanes instead!)

There were no air quality problems in the Big Sandy TH area as of Wednesday thru Saturday this week. We left Pinedale yesterday in beautiful weather. The afternoon turned cloudy and damp around Grandby. Dry now in Grand Lake.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
09-11-2017, 11:16
There were no air quality problems in the Big Sandy TH area as of Wednesday thru Saturday this week. We left Pinedale yesterday in beautiful weather. The afternoon turned cloudy and damp around Grandby. Dry now in Grand Lake.
Wayne

We were smelling the smoke from the Montana fires here in NH a few days ago. Strong enough that people were calling the FS thinking NH was on fire!

Venchka
09-11-2017, 20:19
I was there. The air quality in the southern Winds was excellent.
Jet stream, New Hampshire is further north. Etc.
Blanket statements are rarely correct given so many variables.
Wayne

Slo-go'en
09-11-2017, 22:00
Blanket statements are rarely correct given so many variables. Wayne

True, but with so many fires in so many places, one has to pick one's destination carefully and hope it's not the next one to go up in smoke - while your there! Glad you lucked out.

Venchka
09-11-2017, 23:14
Thanks. So were we.
Wayne

Venchka
09-12-2017, 16:41
Southern Colorado and northern New Mexico update. Today.
No smoke. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Zip. No smoke from Montana or NH or any of the dozen or so states with high fire activity.
Great Sand Dunes NP, South San Juan & Weminuche WA all good.
Light rain in Chama, NM. Headed to the High Country Restaurant for some frijoles and beans. Maybe a brew.
Enjoy.
Wayne