PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Headlamp

billisnice
09-10-2017, 00:13
Any suggestion for a rechargeable inexpensive headlamp?

DownEaster
09-10-2017, 00:31
I bought two 220 lumen headlamps, both from Amazon, and both under $10. The Vansky headlamp (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9PRWZ1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) is the one I use as my main headlamp. It has a 1200 mAh battery, which is quite substantial. Then I added a Tansoren TO1 Torch (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K3YRJC4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), which has a bunch of funky attachments I don't use. This second item provides two uses: (1) a backup if something happens to the primary headlamp; and (2) night hiking illumination if I clip it to my pack belt. Light coming from nearly the same location as your eyes doesn't displace shadows of ground-level obstructions far enough to adequately gauge the height of such roots, rocks, and whatnot. A second light from a different position makes things much easier.

40277 40278
The downside to these two items is that they're both only rated IPX4: i.e., merely splash resistant.

MuddyWaters
09-10-2017, 06:48
The Vansky headlamp (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9PRWZ1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) is the one I use as my main headlamp. It has a 1200 mAh battery, which is quite substantial.
1200 mah is not very substantial. Its average. Its equal to AAA battery in energizer lithium, which is what most put in headlamps. . AAA alkaline are about 800 mah.

DownEaster
09-10-2017, 07:47
1200 mah is not very substantial. Its average. Its equal to AAA battery in energizer lithium, which is what most put in headlamps.
So you're saying that a rechargeable battery which equals the best disposable in capacity, but can be reused 500+ times, is not substantial?

Cheyou
09-10-2017, 07:51
It's not waterproof enough for me.

Thom

Cheyou
09-10-2017, 07:58
So you take 2 lights plus your phone may have a flashlight ? How much Do the 2 lights plus parts weight?

thom

DownEaster
09-10-2017, 08:49
The Vansky headlamp is 71 grams (81 grams with the included USB-to-µUSB cable); the Tansoren TO-1 is 50 grams (leaving all the accessories behind).

MuddyWaters
09-10-2017, 10:04
So you're saying that a rechargeable battery which equals the best disposable in capacity, but can be reused 500+ times, is not substantial?

Exactly

Its normal capacity. The same as any other AAA headlamp.

Rechargeable has pros and cons, but has nothing to do with capacity. Other than that they will degrade over time and lose capacity.

More important, is what the headlamp does with the battery power.

Is it a regulated or non regulated headlamp
If regulated, how efficient is the circuit...how much energy lost to heat...this can be substantial in some devices

And most of all....parasitic drain....how much charge is lost just not being used over time. Without mechanical disconnect switches...this can be most important characterisitic of all. One of the reasons I use the light I do. By turning housing the battery is disconnected. 5 yrs later...Li battery inside is still 100%. Never have to worry about accidentally turning on in pack. Never have to worry about how much charge is left after sitting. Rechargeables have self-drain rate anyway...energizer Li dont. 10 yrs later they are still fully charged.

ScareBear
09-10-2017, 18:19
Any suggestion for a rechargeable inexpensive headlamp?

1200mAh recharge-able, USB, IPx4 water ingress rating, red LED's as well, 2.2 ounces.

Is ten bucks cheap enough?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15989

OkeefenokeeJoe
09-10-2017, 18:34
Reality is. .... <10 bucks for a headlamp (unless it's on a mega clearance sale or purchased second hand) almost always = junk. I always recommend spending a nickel more and getting a proven, name-brand, product. For $30 (more or less) there are several notable choices. Look at the offerings from Black Diamond, Coast, and Petzl. Plenty of sound, reliable, choices from notable, respected manufacturers.

DownEaster
09-10-2017, 18:46
1200mAh recharge-able, USB, IPx4 water ingress rating, red LED's as well, 2.2 ounces.

Is ten bucks cheap enough?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15989
This looks exactly like the Vansky with the name removed. Same factory, maybe?

MuddyWaters
09-11-2017, 00:08
This looks exactly like the Vansky with the name removed. Same factory, maybe?

I see 3 or 4 " brands " that look like same thing.

SwathHiker
09-30-2017, 02:28
220 lumens is a lot if you are just using it at night around others at AT shelters. The Petzl e+lite is good and 25 bucks - like 28 lumens though. Look for a lamp with a RED LIGHT so you can use that for getting up in the middle of the night to hit the privy without waking others or blinding the hikers and bears. There's another brand I like on Amazon a little better for the same price, a little brighter at 40 lumens with a red light too called the Firefly by Bright Medic and it's like $20. Both of those use those round flat batteries that are cheap and light to carry and run forever in 25 to 40 lumen headlamps.

Sovi
09-30-2017, 03:50
I've got a foxelli rechargeable headlamp. couple of neat features including a tilting feature that lets you point light where you need it. think i payed around 25 for it and it weighs 4.4oz

jjozgrunt
09-30-2017, 05:11
I have a Petzl Tikka R+, which I don't think they make anymore they have a newer version. Rechargeable, program the 2 light modes to the strength you are after, as well as a red light. Had mine for nearly 4 years and still going strong, rain, sleet and snow. I think it's only about 1200m Ahs but I find it last long enough for most night walking, especially if you program the right light strength.

swjohnsey
09-30-2017, 05:47
Why rechargeable? The Petzl Elite weighs very little, is waterproof and the battery will last a long time. One battery lasted the entire trail.

jjozgrunt
09-30-2017, 07:53
Why rechargeable? The Petzl Elite weighs very little, is waterproof and the battery will last a long time. One battery lasted the entire trail. You obviously don't walk in the dark if that headlight with 2 button batteries lasted the whole trail. Also I find that I need 80 lumens for night walking.

Patrickjd9
09-30-2017, 09:02
Agree on the red light. I saw them in shelters for the first time this summer and my next light will definitely have one. My current headlamp is so bright, I had enough light to get out and pee by shining it THROUGH my hand.

AllDownhillFromHere
09-30-2017, 14:41
Not sure "rechargeable" and "inexpensive" lamps exist, without the bonus adjective of "crappy". I've broken a lot of cheap ones, eventually the battery pack snap-clip breaks, or the clicky angle adjuster does.
Recently I splurged on the Petzl Aktik, pretty happy with it:
https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/ACTIVE-headlamps/ACTIK-CORE

1250 mAh, has a red setting, and the full power 320 lumen white is awesome (350 on AAAs). Charging off my Anker means I have 1 power source to rule them all.

billisnice
09-30-2017, 15:22
Is a battery headlamp better?

NY HIKER 50
09-30-2017, 15:46
May I chime in here? The real word for flashlights and headlamps is RELIABLE. Over the years I have had too many lights fail at critical moments, even a certain light where the bulb went out and brother, good luck inserting tow small pins into smaller holes. Maybe a cheap one will work but set your hopes low. I have not really read the post since I'm busy so if anyone else addressed this my apologies. Always bring a back up.

Sovi
09-30-2017, 15:55
Is a battery headlamp better?

I think it's a matter of preference. I use a rechargeable with a solar charger, so i've only got 100 hrs of light before i need to recharge.. several dense cloudy days in a row and I'd have to rely on my back up handheld flashlight. I don't like carrying extra batteries if i can avoid it. That's me though

NY HIKER 50
09-30-2017, 16:20
In my opinion rechargeable are not reliable either. Some lamps are charged via a computer usb port and others are charged via solar power. Where will you get a usb port in the woods? If you look most solar only does a minimal job. How do you carry it during the day? Don't even think of using you precious phone battery for charging. Keep that for emergencies. use regular batteries and try not to use the funny ones that cannot be replaced easily on the trail(such as button or that other camera battery), Better to use AA or AAA and standardize it all..

Cheyou
09-30-2017, 16:23
I think they all have a battery ;0) I guess you can still buy carbide headlamps. https://youtu.be/UqXnBXmPQ3U

Sovi
09-30-2017, 16:30
In my opinion rechargeable are not reliable either. Some lamps are charged via a computer usb port and others are charged via solar power. Where will you get a usb port in the woods? If you look most solar only does a minimal job. How do you carry it during the day? Don't even think of using you precious phone battery for charging. Keep that for emergencies. use regular batteries and try not to use the funny ones that cannot be replaced easily on the trail(such as button or that other camera battery), Better to use AA or AAA and standardize it all..

Solar charger with USB port/ac port. Still keep the back up source just in case

Sovi
09-30-2017, 16:32
And if you catch me on the trail and need a charge feel free to ask(provided the sun is out). I'm friendly enough to approach :) NOBO'18

NY HIKER 50
09-30-2017, 18:05
And if you catch me on the trail and need a charge feel free to ask(provided the sun is out). I'm friendly enough to approach :) NOBO'18

What do you do at night. Regarding the person about carbide lamps. I'm almost ready to go back to candles and carbide lamps if this keeps up with lamps failing!!

DownEaster
09-30-2017, 19:00
I carry a power bank on the trail as the only power replacement for

Android phone
bluetooth headphones for the phone
main headlamp
backup headlamp

It's a more efficient solution than dragging around separate replacement batteries for any of these devices. In town I plug my 4 USB port AC adapter into a wall socket, and simultaneously charge up the power bank, phone, and two more devices for as long as I'm doing laundry, eating at a restaurant, or whatever. Even if I hurry through I'll have full charges on the headphones and headlamps, and mostly full charges on the phone and power bank. The power bank will charge my phone 4 times, so I would have to be capturing a lot more video than typical to be in danger of running out of power between stops in town.

MtDoraDave
10-01-2017, 10:47
It's arguable as to whether carrying two headlamps is more "efficient" than simply carrying spare batteries... but I, too, do this. I've never had a headlight actually fail, but I was in the boy scouts - whose motto is "be prepared" - so rather than risk having no light at night, I carry a small spare.

I saw an ad pop up on my phone yesterday for a black diamond headlamp that was on sale for about $25. I believe it was 3.4 ounces with the 3 AAA batteries, up to 200 lumens, but also adjustable and has red lights. Rarely will 200 lumens be needed on the trail - but when I ended up night hiking for 2 hours and had a mystery multiple critter encounter with only a 100 lumen light, I sure would have liked to have 200 lumens to be able to see if they were bears, hogs, dogs, etc.
Because of this, I will carry a very bright (most say overkill) headlight when hiking the AT (or anywhere else).
Looking at REI's site, the Black Diamond Cosmo is 200 lumens, waterproof, and 2.9 ounces. The BD Spot is 300 lumens, waterproof, and weighs 3.25 oz.
Read the reviews before deciding... some of them have less than user friendly mode adjustability.

MuddyWaters
10-01-2017, 12:08
It's arguable as to whether carrying two headlamps is more "efficient" than simply carrying spare batteries... but I, too, do this. I've never had a headlight actually fail, but I was in the boy scouts - whose motto is "be prepared" - so rather than risk having no light at night, I carry a small spare.

Leds dont burn out like bulbs did in past. So chances are less of total failure.
And managing without light for a couple day if needed is possible, although maybe inconvenient.

Cheyou
10-01-2017, 12:42
Leds dont burn out like bulbs did in past. So chances are less of total failure.
And managing without light for a couple day if needed is possible, although maybe inconvenient.
Very true plus most phones have a light

Leo L.
10-01-2017, 13:08
Rechargeable is more expensive, given similar tech data and quality than the battery version.
Easy to understand, as the price includes the Li-rechargeables, and some additional electronics.

I don't see much advantage of one above the other.
While the "one powerpack to feed them all" is a valid point, so is the opposite "separate batteries that are still alive even if the powerpack is dead".

Personally, I'm carrying a good Petzl running on 3xAA, which I hardly ever use.
Most of the minor camp chores I can do without any light, or I'm using the smartphone.

DownEaster
10-01-2017, 16:09
It's arguable as to whether carrying two headlamps is more "efficient" than simply carrying spare batteries... but I, too, do this.
The second headlamp is a backup, true. But primarily it's to have a different light source location for night hiking. When the light is coming from right near your eyes, shadows of ground obstructions (roots, rocks, ...) aren't displaced enough to judge height well. I clip the second light to my Crown 2 belt (with the buckles displaced all the way to one side to leave a bare bit of nylon strap in the center) and visibility is much improved with that additional light source.

billisnice
10-01-2017, 22:58
Maybe a headlamp + one AAA flashlight as a backup?

AllDownhillFromHere
10-01-2017, 23:14
The battery pack in some rechargeable headlamps can be removed, and 3 AAAs put in its place.

Starchild
10-02-2017, 09:56
1200 mah is not very substantial. Its average. Its equal to AAA battery in energizer lithium, which is what most put in headlamps. . AAA alkaline are about 800 mah.
I don't believe many people use the Energizer lithiums, but some do. Their main advantage is cold weather performance, but the mah rating 1: does not make up for the cost 2: does not really work to rate disposable batteries because their mAh rating is highly dependent on the load.

But a rechargeable headlamp has the advantage of always leaving fully charged. So you know you have the equivalent of a fresh set of Energizer Lithiums if your mAh is in the ballpark for the drain of a headlamp.

Sovi
10-02-2017, 18:41
The Foxelli I use, claims 100 hours of continuous light on a single charge. While I have not tested that, I'm confident enough that I can use it for 3 or 4 nights, whether hiking or in camp. 2 hours of sunshine and it's ready to go again. In addition I have a small LED as a back up(plus phone light as a last resort).
The reason I went with the solar charger was I don't want to rely on finding an outlet in town, as I will not be staying at hostels and only making town trips to resupply food or replace worn out gear/shoes. There may be the exception that I make a detour just to sign a registry if needed, but other than that I aim to spend every night in my hammock or tent(in inclement weather).

MuddyWaters
10-02-2017, 20:57
I don't believe many people use the Energizer lithiums, but some do. Their main advantage is cold weather performance, but the mah rating 1: does not make up for the cost 2: does not really work to rate disposable batteries because their mAh rating is highly dependent on the load.

But a rechargeable headlamp has the advantage of always leaving fully charged. So you know you have the equivalent of a fresh set of Energizer Lithiums if your mAh is in the ballpark for the drain of a headlamp.
They are also considerably lighter.
Pretty much all I use personally. Unless I have to get a replacement at a gas station or something.
thats happened once when I forgot batts like a dumbarse.

lightest weight, 50% more capacity than alkaline, better performance...
cost is irrelevant for a couple $.

SwathHiker
10-05-2017, 04:34
If we are still talking about lights for thru-hiking, I can tell you that most of the time you aren't going to be annoying everyone in the shelter by sitting there with your 80 lumens on while reading a book as everyone is trying to sleep at sundown. You also are going to throw every last ounce of unneeded weight off your back at Neel's Gap. Finally, those who'll opt to become night marauders (aka night hikers) will go as a group and your eyes will become accustomed to low light. You won't want bright lights even for hiking because it will ruin your night vision and piss off your hiking partners. It's a whole different experience. On a thru-hike there is very limited utility for: bright lights, heavy lights requiring regular heavy batteries, rechargeable lights requiring extra effort and energy you don't want or need to expend outside of hiking. For whatever it's worth. A little Petzl e+lite for camp and the occasional last half hour hiking to the next shelter usually suffices. A backup light is ludicrous. If you run out of light, you plunk down your tent. The odds of your plastic LED light breaking while you are alone, in the dark, and between towns that sell cheap LED lights, is reasonably small.