PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder....it's not all bad.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-11-2017, 13:05
It's been a strange hiking season. I've heard it; I've read it; I've seen it first-hand. From the sheer quantity of thruhikers this year, to the number of Flip-floppers and SOBOs, to the subdued, almost anti-festive Trail Days Festival, to the myriad complaints of obnoxious entitlement, 2017 seems to have been a more infamous than famous year for those on and around the AT.

However, I got a text the other night from a thruhiker I'd met in MA last July and to whom I was able to give a small amount of assistance. It helped wash away the taint I've felt for most of this hiking year. It was a reminder that it's while it's easy and all too common to paint thrus with the same negative brush, it's also grossly unfair to the majority that appreciate the gift - and gifts - they've been given to be able to succeed or even attempt this strange odyssey. While I'm sure he was filled with the euphoria of "I DID IT!!!", Jarhead chose to make his Katahdin Summit photo an expression of appreciation rather than one of personal glory.

I know I played only a very small part - a couple of rides, carrying his pack in the car once or twice - but still I was touched that in his moment of achievement he thought enough about what others had done for him along the way to acknowledge it for posterity.

Congratulations, Jarhead, and to all the thruhikers who accomplished more than just a 2,000 mile walk.

40283 40284