PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 5-7 days, want to camp not shelter NoVA, MD, PA area

Crossup
09-12-2017, 14:51
Funny how life goes....was hoping to report on my first AT outing by now instead here I am asking noob questions.
Since I live in Annapolis MD I'm looking to keep it relatively local, ie: not wanting to go to Southern Va or Northern PA.

I'm right around 100 miles from Michaux SF and was planning to hike there but since hatching the idea I see the Caladonia (southern) part apparently restricts camping to designated areas.(Just spend the weekend RVing there)
On one hand I'm going to a small degree to meet fellow hikers on the other I don't want to be using a bunk in a shelter with 5 other people, surrounded by outlying tenters.

So I'm looking for a long stretch that has a relatively high density of non shelter campsites(and no restriction prohibiting camping). While at Michaux a few weeks ago I day hiked about 13 miles of AT from the AT Museum to James Fry/Tag Run shelter and it seemed nearly every 1/2 mile there was a side trail leading to campsites or suitable areas not shown on Guthooks guides.
Originally the plan was start at the bottom of Caladonia and see how far north I got,now I'm leaning towards starting at Pine Grove Furnace and therefore hike north above Michaux. The first part looks good to me but seems like once you get to around Boiling Springs the campsite listings are sparse and shelters are pretty far apart.

Anyway, l'm looking for recommendations

Crossup
09-15-2017, 18:23
OK so with 160 views and nothing said, how about just a recommendation for particularly nice part of the AT in the area up to 100 miles north of MD to 100 south?

MuddyWaters
09-15-2017, 18:53
Do you want to camp AT shelters or by self someplace?

Do you have anything against shenandoah national park?

Waysides and bears outweigh negatives. You have high probability of seeing bears in snp.

windlion
09-15-2017, 19:16
OK so with 160 views and nothing said, how about just a recommendation for particularly nice part of the AT in the area up to 100 miles north of MD to 100 south?Not sure I understand why you want to avoid shelters? There's almost always a tenting area well separated from the mouse house. Also, lots of trail sections in the band you picked that are subject to host rules (i.e. Sky Meadows SP and Shenandooah National Park in Virginia) that only allow tenting is designated areas -- but as you observed, there are *lots* of unmarked tent sites along the trail. Except in the SNP, where the rangers administer the Trail vigilantly.

Rather than hiking north past Harrisburg, you might head south through Harpers Ferry and toward Shenandoah National Park. Tent sites that are not colocated with shelters will be harder to find, but not impossible.

In any case, Leave No Trace, please? Especially if you are tenting outside the shelter areas.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Crossup
09-15-2017, 22:03
Avoiding shelters as I have no interest in using one nor in group camping. I've seen 6 shelters so far and the associated campsites reminded me of being at Big Meadows and the like...I have an RV and get my fill of that to the point where we avoid being in campgrounds on weekends or at places that are popular.

I'm doing some AT hiking to perfect my camping skills and gear with the aim of mountain bike camping during an attempt to navigate 460 miles of trail which parallels the AT- or put another way, I'm tired of "day" biking and being limited to out and back.

I maybe missing out on a good experience by heading north from Michaux for example but my thought was heading south takes me thru MD which only allows camping at specified sites and shelters

As to Leave no Trace- I was raised that way

Not sure I understand why you want to avoid shelters? There's almost always a tenting area well separated from the mouse house. Also, lots of trail sections in the band you picked that are subject to host rules (i.e. Sky Meadows SP and Shenandooah National Park in Virginia) that only allow tenting is designated areas -- but as you observed, there are *lots* of unmarked tent sites along the trail. Except in the SNP, where the rangers administer the Trail vigilantly.

Rather than hiking north past Harrisburg, you might head south through Harpers Ferry and toward Shenandoah National Park. Tent sites that are not colocated with shelters will be harder to find, but not impossible.

In any case, Leave No Trace, please? Especially if you are tenting outside the shelter areas.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk