PDA

View Full Version : Washing dishes with unfiltered water

stilllife
09-12-2017, 17:46
What do you guys think about washing pot with unfiltered water and then wiping it down with a anti-bacterial
wet wipe?

Traveler
09-12-2017, 17:58
I'm thinking wet wipes residue probably won't enhance the flavor of anything you cook in the pot unless its in its own pouch, never mind the added weight of carrying them and disposal nuisance of used wipes. They don't decompose and would need to be carried out.

If you are boiling water in the pot, it really doesn't matter if they are washed with unfiltered/untreated water. Boiling for most cooking purposes would kill off any tiny livestock that may linger in the pot.

HooKooDooKu
09-12-2017, 18:02
Don't like the idea of wiping my pot basically with alcohol.
If you're going to be cooking in the pot later, you could argue that any germs left behind by unfiltered water would get killed by the next cooking process.

But really... it doesn't take a ton of water to wash a pot. So I just always wash it with filtered water.
First eat everything you can easily scrape out. I then put a small amount of water (perhaps 50ml) and a few drops of camps soap and wash it with a scrub pad cut down to about 2"x2". I then disperse that water and use another small amount of water (perhaps another 50ml) and swish it around to get the small amounts of suds off and then disperse that. Then wipe the thing dry with a small camp towel.

nsherry61
09-13-2017, 09:38
I just let the dog lick it clean. Then I don't have to worry about any germs . . .

More seriously, unless you are washing your pot with sewer water, there is not reason to get fussed about filtered or unfiltered. And then, if it's sewer water, you need to worry about viruses as well, and filtering won't make any difference. We do not live in a sterile world and the amount of contaminant left inside your pot after washing with unfiltered back-country water will never be enough to measurably increase the risk to your health. Washing your hands, yes even in unfiltered water, is far, far more important than whether or not you use filtered water to wash your dishes and/or your hands.

DuneElliot
09-13-2017, 09:43
I never worry about it. I filter my water to drink but never the stuff I wash my hands or my pot with. Most of the problems bugs that we filter for can't survive outside of a wet/moist/damp environment for more than a few hours.

QiWiz
09-13-2017, 11:24
Just let air dry or use a bandanna - antibacterial wet wipe not needed IMO. If particularly worried about it, remember to heat water to near boiling or boiling with next use of pot.

DownEaster
09-13-2017, 11:59
Wet wipes residue is bactericide, soap, and perfume, which I don't think you want to eat; if you're trying to save on weight (fewer SteriPEN batteries or whatnot) by not filtering your water, you can save weight by leaving the wipes at home.

JeffreyH
09-13-2017, 12:01
Just let air dry or use a bandanna - antibacterial wet wipe not needed IMO. If particularly worried about it, remember to heat water to near boiling or boiling with next use of pot.

I'm with you.

Boiling kills almost everything. It takes some time, though.

stilllife
09-13-2017, 13:42
Great answers! Thanks a lot.

SouthMark
09-13-2017, 15:51
I don't filter my water so it is not a problem.

Don H
09-13-2017, 16:16
If you're gonna use Wet Wipes to clean dishes you'd better bring a good supply of TP.

Many years ago I did a backpacking trip at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. The camp issued all crew tablets of Textrox that were to be placed in water used to sanitize the dishes. If you didn't rinse well you knew it in a few hours. The malady was know as the "Textron Trots".

nsherry61
09-13-2017, 16:29
. . . Many years ago I did a backpacking trip at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. The camp issued all crew tablets of Textrox that were to be placed in water used to sanitize the dishes. . .
Sterilizing shared eating utensils makes a lot of sense. Washing your personal dishes with filtered water does not.

English Stu
09-14-2017, 05:05
I use the MSR Titan kettle and Ti mug, drinks somehow taste better in the small cup. In the morning I brew three cups of water; 2 for double oatmeal and one for the coffee. If I haven't drank it already I put the remaining coffee back into Titan, swill around and drink the remainder.

English Stu
09-14-2017, 05:11
I use the MSR Titan kettle and Ti mug, drinks somehow taste better in the small cup. In the morning I brew three cups of water; 2 for double oatmeal and one for the coffee. After eating the Oatmeal if I haven't drank it already I put the remaining coffee back into Titan, swill around and drink the remainder.

English Stu
09-14-2017, 05:12
Oops, where is the edit button.

HooKooDooKu
09-14-2017, 09:42
Oops, where is the edit button.
Contributing Members (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php) get an "Edit Post" option with their posts found beside the "Reply | Reply With Quote" options seen below each past.

Deadeye
09-14-2017, 21:29

That's old school, it's done by the time it's boiling:
According to the Wilderness Medical Society…
Water temperatures at 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes.
Water temperatures above 185° F (85° C) kill all pathogens within a few minutes.
So in the time it takes for water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude. The moment your drinking water reaches a rolling boil, the water has already become safe to drink.

nsherry61
09-14-2017, 22:33
. . .So in the time it takes for water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) all pathogens will be killed . . .
Be careful what you claim. In your example, most pathogens of concern, especially in backcountry water will be killed or inactivated. There are pathogens, not frequently found in backcountry water (at least in north America) that absolutely survive boiling! For instance, with post hurricane domestic water contamination, I would highly recommend a longer boil! AND, if all you do is bring the water to a boil, you are almost always killing enough of the pathogens to make backcountry water safe to drink, BUT, it is unlikely you are actually killing all of the pathogens. You're just reducing the population enough that they are no match for you immune system.

There is a reason medical facilities and biological labs sterilize with autoclaves which use pressure to allow temperatures of 250 degrees F for 20 minutes to an hour, depending on the volume being sterilized.

KDogg
09-14-2017, 22:44
On my thru hike I always washed (really just rinsed) with filtered water....all of about a quarter cup of it. Not sure why this is such an issue. It's not like it is a ton more work to have that much more filtered water. My first thought reading this thread, and another that was posted here about a week ago, was that you were going to wash your pot in the water source. I know this isn't what you are asking because you know that would just be wrong. So, if you really want to use unfiltered water to wash with go right ahead. You will have to fill your dirty water bottle for washing or leave a bit in there when you filter....both of which seem like just as much, or more, work than just using that little bit of filtered water in your clean bottle and not worry about it.

Bronk
09-15-2017, 11:41
If you are talking about your pot or eating utensils I would think boiling water would kill what's on there. Its not something I've ever worried about.

blw2
09-15-2017, 16:48
On my thru hike I always washed (really just rinsed) with filtered water....all of about a quarter cup of it. Not sure why this is such an issue. It's not like it is a ton more work to have that much more filtered water. My first thought reading this thread, and another that was posted here about a week ago, was that you were going to wash your pot in the water source. I know this isn't what you are asking because you know that would just be wrong. So, if you really want to use unfiltered water to wash with go right ahead. You will have to fill your dirty water bottle for washing or leave a bit in there when you filter....both of which seem like just as much, or more, work than just using that little bit of filtered water in your clean bottle and not worry about it.

I think about this idea that you shouldn't wash dishes in the stream....
And yeah, I get it....
but at the same time folks are walking their old dirty stinky feet through that same stream.... or even stopping for a break and soak a while....
I mean it's not like it's some pristine water there.....

HooKooDooKu
09-15-2017, 16:56
I think about this idea that you shouldn't wash dishes in the stream....
And yeah, I get it....
but at the same time folks are walking their old dirty stinky feet through that same stream.... or even stopping for a break and soak a while....
I mean it's not like it's some pristine water there.....
For the most part, your boots and feet just have dirt (and perhaps some sweat) from the surrounding woods.

But the reasons to NOT wash your dishes in the stream are
1. You don't want to get any soap in the stream (and I've known people who were ignorant enough to think that 'camp soap' was "stream safe" because it's biodegradeable).
2. You don't want to get food in the stream

KDogg
09-15-2017, 18:20
During my thru I found noodles sitting on the bottom the water source several times. Seriously, just use a bit of your filtered water. It takes so little. Are you thinking of big meals with multiple pots and dishes? You shouldn't be.

HooKooDooKu
09-15-2017, 19:20
During my thru I found noodles sitting on the bottom the water source several times. Seriously, just use a bit of your filtered water. It takes so little. Are you thinking of big meals with multiple pots and dishes? You shouldn't be.
Came across the same thing at the water source of Ice Water Springs Shelter in GSMNP once... {Disgust}

it_mike
05-21-2018, 10:44
I realize this is an old thread, but thought you might want to consider SOP on boats for centuries...

Wash in saltwater, rinse in clean freshwater.

Nothing's sanitary about the wash, it's the final rinse that matters.

Davem
06-10-2018, 22:41
I only eat out of a freezer bag so my pot never needs to be washed. I do get a little sloppy when filtering water and my clean bottle gets “dirty” occasionally but so far no problems.

Dogwood
06-10-2018, 23:46
When going solo which is 98% of the time I've never washed a cookpot or foldable Ti spork with filtered water. Never. Have been medically tested(stool) for pathogens 3X. Never an issue.

handlebar
06-11-2018, 11:50
My LNT method of pot cleaning: 1. Use spoon to clean and eat as much of dinner that sticks to side of pot as possible; 2) Pour about 3 oz of treated water into the pot; 3) Use bottom of spoon to loosen up remaining food residue; 4) Use finger (sanitized before cooking) to swirl water up to edges of side of pot to get any food residue there; 5) drink water with food bits from pot; 6) Boil water for evening tea in pot (sterilizing); Drink tea and put pot away.

This is particularly helpful when at a dry camp to which I've carried water or in desert areas where water is at a premium. Also, there are no bits of food thrown out with water if broadcast on the ground and less likelihood of attracting varmints.

Dogwood
06-11-2018, 13:45
It helps to have options. Clean cookware without water. Use sand, a stick, leaves, moss, lichen, birch bark,...Scrape with utensils first. Swoosh the side of the pot with a clean finger. If using water use small amounts, and as Handlebar said, drink it. It's water. It's good for you. It has nutrients. Those are good for you. If eating something that sticks to a pot like mac n' cheese, cheese, etc, clean the pot right after eating.

lonehiker
06-11-2018, 15:20
Even if the unfiltered water had any "bugs" in it, allowing to air dry would kill them off.

Another Kevin
06-11-2018, 17:39
I don't worry about untreated water for dishwashing. All that I'm washing is my pot and spork. I boit the spork in the pot the next time I cook. No problem, they've both just been sterilized.

Traveler
06-12-2018, 07:08
Even if the unfiltered water had any "bugs" in it, allowing to air dry would kill them off.

That may not be true in all instances, with all "bugs". Giardia cysts for example can survive up to 8 days on a dry, warm surface. They can survive for several weeks on dry, cool/cold surfaces. Fortunately heat does them in, so direct sun exposure on a hot day can kill them off in a few hours (presuming the pot surface reaches over 100 degrees), or boiling water will do them in and rid the surface of parasitical passengers.

lonehiker
06-12-2018, 07:56
That may not be true in all instances, with all "bugs". Giardia cysts for example can survive up to 8 days on a dry, warm surface. They can survive for several weeks on dry, cool/cold surfaces. Fortunately heat does them in, so direct sun exposure on a hot day can kill them off in a few hours (presuming the pot surface reaches over 100 degrees), or boiling water will do them in and rid the surface of parasitical passengers.

Never too late to learn. After your post I've done a bit more research and the cysts are hardier than I was under the impression that they were. Thanks for the information.

perdidochas
06-12-2018, 11:54
I'm with you.

Not that much time. Bring it to a boil for a minute is the EPA's guideline.

MtDoraDave
06-13-2018, 22:28
I use my titanium coffee cup as a scoop to fill my Sawyer bags sometimes. I heat it up over the stove to sterilize it. Takes a few seconds to heat an empty cup enough to kill germs, cysts, etc. (I hope! Lol)

nsherry61
06-14-2018, 09:50
I never wash my dishes with filtered water, and I would argue that it's silly to do so since any remaining contamination from washing dishes will be so small as to be a complete non-issue unless you have a suppressed immune system.

But then, I also frequently drink unfiltered water without ill side effects.

Turk6177
06-14-2018, 13:44
I always wash mine with unfiltered water because I know the next time I will be using it, I will be bringing water to a boil anyway. I wouldn't waste the sanitizer.

pettas
06-19-2018, 14:08
Like others, I don't worry about sterilizing my pots or other utensils after using them. I clean them, be sure there are no food particles remaining and then sterilize them just before using them again. As soon as I put a "sterilized" pot, cup, utensil, etc. back in my pack, on the lean-to shelf or wherever, it's not going to remain sterile. Best to do it just before I use the item so I know it's OK. Not to say this is the only way to go but I've been doing this for over 40 years now will no ill results. Of course, YMMV.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

reppans
06-19-2018, 14:32
My LNT method of pot cleaning: 1. Use spoon to clean and eat as much of dinner that sticks to side of pot as possible; 2) Pour about 3 oz of treated water into the pot; 3) Use bottom of spoon to loosen up remaining food residue; 4) Use finger (sanitized before cooking) to swirl water up to edges of side of pot to get any food residue there; 5) drink water with food bits from pot; 6) Boil water for evening tea in pot (sterilizing); Drink tea and put pot away.

This is particularly helpful when at a dry camp to which I've carried water or in desert areas where water is at a premium. Also, there are no bits of food thrown out with water if broadcast on the ground and less likelihood of attracting varmints.

I do the same, up to point 5). Point 6) for me is a wipe down/sterilize using the splash of leftover fuel (Everclear) from my alcohol stove and bit of paper towel, which then goes into my odorproof garbage bag. Guess I'm more concerned about minimizing food odors (critters/bear) than bacteria, since as many have pointed out, the pot just gets heated later.

Cookerhiker
06-19-2018, 17:50
...If you are boiling water in the pot, it really doesn't matter if they are washed with unfiltered/untreated water. Boiling for most cooking purposes would kill off any tiny livestock that may linger in the pot.

This...

I'm one of the few who washes dishes with hot water sans filtering or treatment. While eating dinner, I boil water in my second pot (yes, I'm also a 2-pot guy), use half of it for post-dinner hot chocolate and the rest for dish washing.

Cookerhiker
06-19-2018, 17:53
It helps to have options. Clean cookware without water. Use sand, a stick, leaves, moss, lichen, birch bark,...Scrape with utensils first. Swoosh the side of the pot with a clean finger. If using water use small amounts, and as Handlebar said, drink it. It's water. It's good for you. It has nutrients. Those are good for you. If eating something that sticks to a pot like mac n' cheese, cheese, etc, clean the pot right after eating.

Yep, I always use a leaf as my scrubber.

walkinmyshoes
07-28-2018, 10:46
How do you think, could I wash dishes with unfiltered water and antibacterial sanitizer gel like this one? https://www.amazon.com/Antibacterial-Travel-Sanitizer-LAUTRE-PEAU/dp/B01B8M6Y0S/ref=br_lf_m_vrykrmwt28n99ss_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=beauty&th=1

It contains Ethyl Alcohol 62%, so it may be not so dangerous, right?

reppans
07-28-2018, 11:45
How do you think, could I wash dishes with unfiltered water and antibacterial sanitizer gel like this one? https://www.amazon.com/Antibacterial-Travel-Sanitizer-LAUTRE-PEAU/dp/B01B8M6Y0S/ref=br_lf_m_vrykrmwt28n99ss_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=beauty&th=1

It contains Ethyl Alcohol 62%, so it may be not so dangerous, right?

I use 95% Ethyl Alcohol (post 39 above), but it's for consumption/Everclear. Your link mentions contains Aloe, and I look for more details on added denatured toxins (ATF wants their tax $) - not sure I'd like those as pot/utensil residue.