PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite 100 miles in the South

blue indian
09-12-2017, 21:14
Looking for some ideas of places to walk this fall. Got about a week off. I'd like to keep it in the South to maximize the driving to hiking ratio...whatcha got??

TNhiker
09-12-2017, 21:28
sooooooooo many.........

but i think you've been to a vast amount of them...

joyce kilmer...........slickrock..........standing indian............snowbird wilderness.........mount rogers.........cohutta....big frog....

hundred miles along the BMT would cover alot of those areas...

etc etc etc.......

if im around and it fits into my schedule---i may be able to shuttle ya if needed.......

i have shows and other trips planned though........

Last Call
09-13-2017, 02:35
The Foothills Trail....roughly76 miles along the border of North and South Carolina, Chattooga River, but can extend to Caesar's Head or Jones Gap for more miles.....

Last Call
09-13-2017, 02:40
Buffalo River Trail in Arkansas....Black Creek Trail in Mississippi.....Savage Gulf, South Cumberland, TN....

Yodabear
09-13-2017, 06:52
Bartram trail in nc anyone ever hike it?

map man
09-13-2017, 08:15
On the AT, Allen Gap to US19E is 105 miles with Erwin halfway along as a convenient resupply point. This segment has Blackstaff Cliffs, Big Bald, Beauty Spot and Roan Highlands among its scenic highlights.

Gambit McCrae
09-13-2017, 09:15
The Sheltowee is roughly 317 miles, give or take 10 miles. I have been exploring around the southern terminus and man does this area have a lot to offer, especially around the Honey creek loop area. And I know it continues on up to leatherwood ford, following the cliffs for about 10 miles of open scenery. Heading up past blue heron, yamacraw etc etc.

Tennessee Viking
09-13-2017, 09:37
If non-AT, look at:
Mountains to Sea Trail sections
Linville Gorge
Wilson Creek area - Upper/Harper/Lost Cove Creek
BlueRidgeParkway

For AT sections,
go with Map Man's recommendations - Allen Gap to 19E/Dennis Cove

illabelle
09-13-2017, 09:46
The Sheltowee is roughly 317 miles, give or take 10 miles. I have been exploring around the southern terminus and man does this area have a lot to offer, especially around the Honey creek loop area. And I know it continues on up to leatherwood ford, following the cliffs for about 10 miles of open scenery. Heading up past blue heron, yamacraw etc etc.

Indeed! Honey Creek is our all-time favorite dayhike. Really enjoyed exploring the Crack-in-the-Rock up near Blue Heron. The canyons and cliffs and caves are so different from the terrain of the Smokies!

grubbster
09-13-2017, 09:47
I have been exploring around the southern terminus and man does this area have a lot to offer, especially around the Honey creek loop area. And I know it continues on up to leatherwood ford, following the cliffs for about 10 miles of open scenery. Heading up past blue heron, yamacraw etc etc.
Been poking around this area as well. Have to give a +1.

blue indian
09-13-2017, 14:23
sooooooooo many.........

but i think you've been to a vast amount of them...

joyce kilmer...........slickrock..........standing indian............snowbird wilderness.........mount rogers.........cohutta....big frog....

hundred miles along the BMT would cover alot of those areas...

etc etc etc.......

if im around and it fits into my schedule---i may be able to shuttle ya if needed.......

i have shows and other trips planned though........

Ive hit most of those...except the snowbirds and mnt rogers..

Ill keep you in mind if I end up in one of those areas. Thanks man!

blue indian
09-13-2017, 14:23
The Foothills Trail....roughly76 miles along the border of North and South Carolina, Chattooga River, but can extend to Caesar's Head or Jones Gap for more miles.....

Yes! Might have to thru hike this one..

blue indian
09-13-2017, 14:24
Bartram trail in nc anyone ever hike it?

One of my favorite overnight hikes is on the Bartram. I call it my "secret spot". One of the best views around

blue indian
09-13-2017, 14:25
On the AT, Allen Gap to US19E is 105 miles with Erwin halfway along as a convenient resupply point. This segment has Blackstaff Cliffs, Big Bald, Beauty Spot and Roan Highlands among its scenic highlights.

Hiked thru here last year, but it was so cool that I might just do it again!

blue indian
09-13-2017, 14:26

Interesting. Any links to good guides or maps?

It may be a little far for me though. Id rather not spend 5+ hours in the car one way

blue indian
09-13-2017, 14:27
If non-AT, look at:
Mountains to Sea Trail sections
Linville Gorge
Wilson Creek area - Upper/Harper/Lost Cove Creek
BlueRidgeParkway

For AT sections,
go with Map Man's recommendations - Allen Gap to 19E/Dennis Cove

I dont know much about the Wilson Creek area. Need to do some homework! Thanks

TNhiker
09-13-2017, 14:36
Any links to good guides or maps?

i believe johnny malloy has written a book on the sheltowee.......

grubbster
09-13-2017, 15:27
Interesting. Any links to good guides or maps?

It may be a little far for me though. Id rather not spend 5+ hours in the car one way

Here is a nice interactive map. https://www.sheltoweetrace.com/hike/

blue indian
09-13-2017, 17:03
Here is a nice interactive map. https://www.sheltoweetrace.com/hike/

Cool, thanks.

MuddyWaters
09-13-2017, 17:58
Looking for some ideas of places to walk this fall. Got about a week off. I'd like to keep it in the South to maximize the driving to hiking ratio...whatcha got??

Contiguous?

My favorite is Roan when rhodies is a bloomin. But thats about 15 miles.

blue indian
09-13-2017, 18:09
Contiguous?

My favorite is Roan when rhodies is a bloomin. But thats about 15 miles.

Yes, contiguous.

My first time in the Roan was 2 years ago and it was awesome. I will be back

JumpMaster Blaster
09-14-2017, 19:00
I agree with the Allen Gap- US 19E section. Add a day and start or end in Hot Springs, or do Fontana-Hot Springs.

saltysack
09-14-2017, 19:23
I agree with the Allen Gap- US 19E section. Add a day and start or end in Hot Springs, or do Fontana-Hot Springs.

Was planning on iron mtn gap to hot springs this winter but may add the 30 miles to 19e even though I've already done that section from iron mtn gap to 19e...was a beautiful section. Looks about 118 +\~ miles... be a push in 6 winter days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCNC
09-14-2017, 22:03

For reference, my new Nat Geo Pisgah District Map indicates Foothills is now 105 miles.

blue indian
09-15-2017, 13:55
So many choices...

My buddy Neemor and I might hike the foothills trail..

But I love following the whiteblazes and meeting folks on the trail.

Hiking the Smokies could be cool tool. Ive done many trips in the park but never set foot on the AT there

TNhiker
09-15-2017, 14:20
Hiking the Smokies could be cool tool. Ive done many trips in the park but never set foot on the AT there

you could, with 100 miles, make a big ole loop zig zagging across different trails and ridges......

saltysack
09-15-2017, 14:53
So many choices...

My buddy Neemor and I might hike the foothills trail..

But I love following the whiteblazes and meeting folks on the trail.

FHT is a great trail...I'd wait for cooler weather. I'm hoping to hike it again this winter.

blue indian
09-15-2017, 16:15
you could, with 100 miles, make a big ole loop zig zagging across different trails and ridges......

Man, there are so many options for loops in the 100 mile range....

I could try hiking the BMT thru the park again. Last attempt wound up being cut short due to gear failure....:(

blue indian
09-15-2017, 16:16
FHT is a great trail...I'd wait for cooler weather. I'm hoping to hike it again this winter.

What do you like about it so much? Ive heard there are lots of water features but with the leaves changing Ill probably be more interested in views on this trip

saltysack
09-15-2017, 16:47
What do you like about it so much? Ive heard there are lots of water features but with the leaves changing Ill probably be more interested in views on this trip

Good question...was mid April when I did it and wasn't many views that I can remember except @ table rock. I did it in lil over 3 days so was a push for me and unfortunately I had a late start @ 4:00 day one so a good bit of the beauty of the Chattooga river wasn't seen as i was night hiking. Did see a bear chillin in the river just before dark so that was a cool experience. The leaves would definitely be awesome bonus in edition to the waterfalls. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170915/e61d25927cc77405f8773d0d4e12d3bc.jpg

wookinpanub
09-15-2017, 17:01
One of the best fall trips I ever took was weeklong loop beginning and ending in Damascus. Iron Mountain Trail out, hit AT and go through Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands, then back into town. Fantastic.

ZombieDust66
09-15-2017, 17:09

Did Beauty Spot to 19E in June. Very nice.

blue indian
09-15-2017, 22:06
One of the best fall trips I ever took was weeklong loop beginning and ending in Damascus. Iron Mountain Trail out, hit AT and go through Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands, then back into town. Fantastic.
You've got my attention.

More info on this loop?

How many miles?

Damascus may be a bit too far but it's something new

Siestita
09-15-2017, 22:08
Living in Kentucky, I really like the Sheltowee Trace, especially its southern third, which is now about a hundred miles long.

For this trip you would not need to drive any further north than Cumberland Falls State Park. Mapquest indicates that Cumberland Falls is a four and half hour drive from Atlanta. Just outside Cumberland Falls State Park there is a business (Sheltowee Trace Outfitters) that does shuttles. Or, if you are willing to combine loops with some out-and-back hiking you could start at the Southern Terminus of the Sheltowee Trace (even closer to Atlanta) and do most of your 100 mile hike within the Big South Fork National Recreation Area, without needing a shuttle.

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/list/1/us/ga/atlanta/to/us/kentucky/cumberland-falls-state-resort-park-303971164

The Sheltowee Trace Association sells a map of the southern half of the Trace that you might find helpful. And National Geographic offers a hiker's map for the Big South Fork.

https://squareup.com/store/STATradingPost

blue indian
09-15-2017, 22:48
Living in Kentucky, I really like the Sheltowee Trace, especially its southern third, which is now about a hundred miles long.

For this trip you would not need to drive any further north than Cumberland Falls State Park. Mapquest indicates that Cumberland Falls is a four and half hour drive from Atlanta. Just outside Cumberland Falls State Park there is a business (Sheltowee Trace Outfitters) that does shuttles. Or, if you are willing to combine loops with some out-and-back hiking you could start at the Southern Terminus of the Sheltowee Trace (even closer to Atlanta) and do most of your 100 mile hike within the Big South Fork National Recreation Area, without needing a shuttle.

https://www.mapquest.com/directions/list/1/us/ga/atlanta/to/us/kentucky/cumberland-falls-state-resort-park-303971164

The Sheltowee Trace Association sells a map of the southern half of the Trace that you might find helpful. And National Geographic offers a hiker's map for the Big South Fork.

https://squareup.com/store/STATradingPost

very cool. Never even been to those parts of the country

illabelle
09-16-2017, 05:25
And now you know the problem with threads like this: you started out asking where to go for your 100-mile hike, but now you have a few really good options and you want to hike each one. The solution, blue indian, is to get your calendar out and make plans to hike them all! :sun

Unless you have rotten weather, you really can't go wrong with whichever one you choose to do first.

blue indian
09-16-2017, 10:27
And now you know the problem with threads like this: you started out asking where to go for your 100-mile hike, but now you have a few really good options and you want to hike each one. The solution, blue indian, is to get your calendar out and make plans to hike them all! :sun

Unless you have rotten weather, you really can't go wrong with whichever one you choose to do first.

Yes, they must all be explored!

But after reading about how bad the Irma damage is, Im worried about being able to hike at all...sucks!

Siestita
09-16-2017, 16:04
"But after reading about how bad the Irma damage is, Im worried about being able to hike at all...sucks! "

I spent from last Saturday afternoon until Monday evening hiking parts of the Sheltowee Trace near and through Cumberland Falls State Park. The weather was clear and there were no more blow downs than usual. Then, at about 6 PM on Monday very light rain, without appreciable wind began to fall.

blue indian
09-18-2017, 21:50
Does anyone know anything about a loop involving the Iron Mountain trail and the AT thru the Grayson Highlands? Someone mentioned it on this thread but I never heard anything else about it and a google search wasnt very helpful. One other tread mentions it but not much detail..

On awols guide it looks as if it enters at mile 470.4 and again at 509.9

Or a combination or trails to make a loop in and out of Damascus involving the Grayson Highlands?

Ive got 6 days off. Ill be driving from Atlanta

illabelle
09-19-2017, 05:11
Does anyone know anything about a loop involving the Iron Mountain trail and the AT thru the Grayson Highlands? Someone mentioned it on this thread but I never heard anything else about it and a google search wasnt very helpful. One other tread mentions it but not much detail..
On awols guide it looks as if it enters at mile 470.4 and again at 509.9
Or a combination or trails to make a loop in and out of Damascus involving the Grayson Highlands?
Ive got 6 days off. Ill be driving from Atlanta
I'm not sure about this, but I think the Iron Mountain trail is in Tennessee roughly between Hampton and Damascus, VA. It runs parallel to the AT, and was the former AT before a relocation years ago. Link below has a map that might be helpful to you. Others more familiar with this trail can give better info.

http://tehcc.org/wiki/Iron_Mountain_Trail_-_South

Siestita
09-25-2017, 01:06
"Does anyone know anything about a loop involving the Iron Mountain trail and the AT thru the Grayson Highlands? Someone mentioned it on this thread but I never heard anything else about it and a google search wasn't very helpful. One other tread mentions it but not much detail..."

Mapquest lists travel time from Atlanta to Damascus, Virginia as five hours and 25 minutes. The Grayson Highlands is further than that from where I live here in central Kentucky but it's attractiveness nonetheless keeps pulling me back there for multi-day trips. If you are willing to drive up to Damascus you could then enjoy doing an AT/Iron Mountain Trail loop through the Grayson highlands. Once several years ago I left my car at Grayson Highlands State Park, hiked northbound on the AT to its intersection with the Iron Mountain Trail (IMT) at Chestnut Flats, and then proceeded southbound on the IMT to Damascus. After resting and resupplying in Damascus I walked back to Grayson Highland State Park via the AT. My total mileage was less than what you're seeking, but could have been extended.

I used two aging but still very useful maps to plan that loop hike:

* an Appalachian Trail Conference (Yes, that is what the ATC was formerly called.) AT map titled "Mount Rogers National Recreation Area, Jefferson National Forest"
* a map providing more detailed coverage of a smaller area titled "Mount Rogers High Country and Wildernesses" sold by the Nat. Recreation Area

And, although I have not personally obtained it, I've been told National Geographic/Trails Illustrated additionally sells a Mount Rogers area trail map. To plan a loop hike that ventures extensively away from the electronically documented AT, it would I think be prudent for you to obtain and carry with you one or two of the aforementioned paper maps.

Venchka
09-25-2017, 08:50
Have you ever tried CalTopo.com on a computer for mapping? It works once you get the hang of it. It's much easier on a computer. Pretty useless on a phone.
I've seen Iron Mountain Trail repeatedly mentioned over the weekend. Damascus and Grayson Highlands are suddenly popular. Add the Virginia Creeper Trail in the route.
Wayne

KCNC
09-25-2017, 21:48
Yes! Might have to thru hike this one..

I have no direct knowledge but I've heard that the Foothills Trail shouldn't be underestimated. I look forward to tackling it one day.

saltysack
09-25-2017, 22:08
I have no direct knowledge but I've heard that the Foothills Trail shouldn't be underestimated. I look forward to tackling it one day.

Definitely worth doing....great trail...similar difficulty to NC AT terrain maybe slightly easier....I did in a little over 3 days....hope to do it again this winter....