PDA

View Full Version : camera equipment

pickle
09-13-2017, 12:27
wanting to get some input on camera equipment for the trail - ✌

TTT
09-13-2017, 13:01
Got a little Canon SX 610 HS that weighs 6.5 ounces and takes about 50 pictures before the battery needs recharging.

pickle
09-13-2017, 13:40
I should have said video info also in my post

TTT
09-13-2017, 14:31
It also takes videos :)

Click
09-13-2017, 14:33
I bought a referbished Nikon 1 AW1 and an ultra-lite tripod for my upcoming adventure: neither was cheap:$1100 total [but then, I used to be in the photo end of things so this was not exorbant ​for me...]

All the journals and journeys I've read talk about rain, rain, rain: so the camera will still take pictures 45 feet down in the water. I pair that with a waterproof watch so two important functions are covered.

Southeast
09-13-2017, 16:24
iPhone 7 plus. You can check out Craig M - Spielberg videos on YouTube to get an idea of what he was able to do.

Cheyou
09-13-2017, 16:27
Sony rx100 3

thom

Halfwayhiker
09-13-2017, 16:53
I used a Canon PowerShot A1200 (probably outdated now)
12 megapixels, can do short videos, was cheap.
Small, fits in pocket.
Uses 2 AA batteries (never a need for a charger)
Has an optical viewfinder in addition to an LCD screen. The LCD screen can be turned off to save batteries.
Gets a few hundred pictures before needing new batteries.
Pictures were actually nice and sharp.
I imagine most people use their smart phones now, but battery life is a concern.

Mountain Wildman
09-13-2017, 17:39
I've been considering a Canon FDR-X3000: https://www.adorama.com/sofdrx3000.html 4.1 oz.

Or just using my smart phone with a lens kit like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017XFXJPC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A3JEMZS75ZK036&psc=1

DuneElliot
09-13-2017, 22:15
I have drowned two camera in as many years; one really good one that kinda needed replacing anyway so it was a good excuse, and one I just bought last year as a pocket camera but was cheap (drowned in the aptly named "Grave Lake"). I replaced it today and went with something in between a cheap Point and Shoot and my SuperZoom...I like a camera capable of doing HDR even if it's not the same as doing it on a computer...it really makes pictures amazing. I'll be making damned sure this one doesn't end up in the water. It weoghs more than I'd like but I'll deal with a couple extra ozs on my hip belt as it is the only thing on one side.

Venchka
09-13-2017, 22:41
CJ,
I hope you bought a waterproof camera. [emoji1]
Olympus, Pentax, Nikon, etc.
Or a neck strap.
And waterproof cards.
Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swjohnsey
09-14-2017, 07:29
Camera will get destroyed on the trail. Get something not too expensive like Canon G9x.

BuckeyeBill
09-15-2017, 10:51
I remember the first time I hiked the Grand Canyon and carried a Kodak 110 pocket camera. No bells or whistles, but actually ended up with some great photos. Now I use a Fuji XP75 point and shoot. Still get great shots, and not worried about damage too much as it is waterproof, dustproof, shockproof and freezeproof. AT just over $100.00 it's a nice little camera.

swisscross
09-15-2017, 11:06
I have drowned two camera in as many years; one really good one that kinda needed replacing anyway so it was a good excuse, and one I just bought last year as a pocket camera but was cheap (drowned in the aptly named "Grave Lake"). I replaced it today and went with something in between a cheap Point and Shoot and my SuperZoom...I like a camera capable of doing HDR even if it's not the same as doing it on a computer...it really makes pictures amazing. I'll be making damned sure this one doesn't end up in the water. It weoghs more than I'd like but I'll deal with a couple extra ozs on my hip belt as it is the only thing on one side.
Grave Lake, where cameras go to die.

perdidochas
09-15-2017, 12:18
Got a little Canon SX 610 HS that weighs 6.5 ounces and takes about 50 pictures before the battery needs recharging.

Just 50 pictures before recharging? Is that with or without flash?

DrL
09-15-2017, 13:21
Sony rx100 3

thom

This ^^ or a GoPro Hero 5 Session. The session takes some getting used to, but is light, small, and water proof.

TTT
09-15-2017, 14:06
I recently spent the morning photographing documents in the archives and before lunchtime the battery went flat. I'm guessing I captured about 50 pictures with bits of video accidentally thrown in. It's a new camera and I'm still familiarizing myself with it as I'm no camera buff. Recharging it is simple and quick... that I do know for certain.

An example of my happy snaps :)

TTT
09-15-2017, 14:12
That was without a flash. I'm in a habit of not reading manuals so might not have it on the right settings.

Venchka
09-15-2017, 14:46
50 photos to charge? Not good.
Does the camera have replaceable batteries? If not, get one that does.
Wayne

TTT
09-15-2017, 15:00
It came with one battery about the size of a thin matchbox. The camera itself is about the size of a cigarette box. I was looking for small and light and something to process images faster than a photocopy machine. Adding extra batteries should be doable. The recharger is also small and light. I think it cost about $380 but I live far away from Canon factories. I might have it on the wrong setting if it's chewing up battery life. Need to read my manual

Leo L.
09-15-2017, 15:01
The online manual for this Canon SX 610 HS says, the battery should be good for 270-400 pics.
There is definitely something wrong, as the pic above does not fit in quality to a modern 20Mpx camera (which the Canon is).

This Canon would be a perfect hiking companion, its small, lightweight and has a 18x zoom, which would be great for an occassional wildlife shot.
The battery is replaceable and is to be charged in an external charger.
But its not waterproof, so you would have to take extra care for it.

For many years I carried a decent camera (Lumix with 18x zoom) on my hikes, but nowadays I just use the smartphone. Makes really great pics, is waterproof, and in my pocket all the time - the best camera is the one you have handy.
Only downside is that it has no optical zoom, so in a way we are back to the 80ties when all you had was a Kodak Instamatic and you had to impress your buddies back home by storytelling more than by pics.

BlackCloud
09-15-2017, 15:44
In backpacking you want 1 item that does many things. Last November I bought an iPhone 7 and took 10 pix w/ a very good camera and 10 pix w/ the iPhone 7. In the 10 pix, the iPhone was the same or better. I dumped the camera. iPhone 7 plus is better and Galaxy might even be better than that.

TTT
09-15-2017, 16:32
That photograph is a photograph of a photograph. My intention was to capture documents as fast as possible and not submit something to National Geographic. My low battery life may be due to running the video at the same time as taking a picture.

Another happy snap taken when I was testing it out

DuneElliot
09-15-2017, 16:46
CJ,
I hope you bought a waterproof camera. [emoji1]
Olympus, Pentax, Nikon, etc.
Or a neck strap.
And waterproof cards.
Good luck.
Wayne

It's not...I'll just stay out of the water!!! Ironically the pictures from that cheap drowned camera were worse than the ones from my Galaxy S7!

Grave Lake, where cameras go to die.

Yup. Although hopefully that's all that dies up there. I'm not missing it since the photos weren't great. I'll be taking better care of the new one!

bigcranky
09-16-2017, 08:24

What are you going to do with the photos? Are you a serious photo enthusiast, or a normal person who wants decent memories? Are these for social media uploads, for an album when you get home, or for prints on the wall? Each of these will require a different camera.

An iPhone or one of the better Android phones will give you decent quality photos, instant upload to social media (where you have service), and the easiest possible user interface. It's possible to get very high quality images with some work: my wife takes her iPhone on our hikes, and I have made large prints and an excellent book out of her photos -- though it did take quite a bit of post-production work to get the best possible image quality (I do photography for a living, so this is not difficult for me).

The downside to an iPhone is the limited lens - no real zoom (though the newer ones have two lenses, one a short telephoto, that mitigates this). The "point and shoot" market is a *lot* smaller in the last five years, as everyone just uses their iPhone, but there are still plenty of choices. All of them will make good photos. Choose based on price and features. I would definitely want "optical image stabilization" which is on most p+s cameras now. I also want it to have a decent wide angle on the zoom. Again, any camera like this will be fine. You won't be doing immediate uploads to Facebook from the camera, but many of them have a wifi mode so you can transfer images to your phone for upload.

If you have the interest in working with the best possible "raw" files (unprocessed files that you would process back home), then the Sony RX100 series is a great choice - it has a larger sensor but still a very compact form factor. The version III and later have a nifty little pop-up viewfinder so you can hold it up to your eye rather than at arm's length (where I can't see the thing without my glasses). These are much more expensive than the typical p+s camera. This is the starting point for making very high quality large prints when you get home.

For a general purpose travel camera that might be of interest to some hiker/photo enthusiasts, Sony makes the RX10 model, with several variants. These look more like a small DSLR, so they are larger and heavier, but pack in a long telephoto zoom to go along with the excellent image quality. If I were told I could take only one camera on vacation and no spare lenses, I'd buy an RX10 mark II (I think they are up to the Mark IV). These cameras are definitely not cheap.

Hope this helps.

bigcranky
09-16-2017, 08:25
double post, sorry

rafe
09-16-2017, 20:01
Sony rx100 3

thom

I have an old original RX-100. I love it when it works, but it has failed me on the trail more than once due to moisture issues. It has already been sent back for repair once for this issue, but is now well out of warranty. When it works, the images are amazing. It is a superb match-up of sensor and lens.

I just got back from a four day outing on the Grafton Loop with SloGo'en. The camera failed this morning... and is sitting in a bag of rice now, hopefully to sober up some time soon.

rafe
09-16-2017, 20:15
Scene from Baldpate shelter, two nights ago, shot with RX-100 @ ISO 3200.

Miner
09-18-2017, 12:09
Post duplicated when I edited it for some reason.

Miner
09-18-2017, 12:09
The problem with this thread is the OP didn't specify what type of camera they wanted.

As for breaking a camera, that depends on the individual not the trail. I've carried SLRs and mirrorless cameras with an extra lense or two for 25 years on backpacking trips including the PCT and AT without issue. I'd like to say. Then last year on the Condor Trail, I dropped a 4 year old micro 4/3s mirrorless camera on the only rock around me and cracked the touchscreen. Still worked, but you could only see 1/3 of the screen. I wanted an excuse to replace it anyway due to it's age. Replaced it with a Sony A6300. Other than the mid zoom lens it came with, I usually take a small fast wide angle pancake lens for low light. Sometimes also bring a longer zoom lens, though not often on longer hikes. Given that some spend up to a $1k on a new smartphone, that's more than I paid for my current camera. Who is risking an expensive item on the trail again?

Cell phone cameras can work if you mainly just want photos in bright light and use the flash for close objects in low light. Too many pixels on a small sensor found on all cell phones means less light reaching each pixel, meaning more noise in low light than a camera with a larger sensor with the same number of pixels. As someone who likes taking photos near dawn and sunset and star-scapes, the quality is unacceptable. Others are happy enough with what they get. Another issue is you are putting all your eggs in 1 basket. If you break or dunk your phone, you'll have no camera for your hike til you replace it; missing some moments of your hike. If you have a real camera and break it, you have your cellphone as a backup. And yes, I know people who have broken their phone or lost it on a hike. And I drown one. Forgot it was in my shirt pocket and bent over to fill a bottle. It fell in, went over a small Cascade and ended up in a 2ft deep pool. Found it, but it needed replacement.

So to answer the OP, define what you want to get a relevant answer.

Feral Bill
09-18-2017, 12:38
If you are a serious photographer, it will cost you weight and cash. I just did a challenging 5 day trip in the Eagle Cap wilderness with a new OM-D Micro 4/3 camera and 12-100 zoom. It's all weather sealed and I got great results. Weight, 3 lbs. :eek:. Photography was a major goal for the trip. On the Wonderland Trail last year I used my old point and shoot (Olympus SP 500 UZ) for under a pound that now costs about $40 used on Ebay. Not weather sealed but not too delicate either. It has a very good lens and would be cheap to replace. No cell service so no phone.
OM-D 40342 SP 500 UZ 40343

Take your pick.

BlackCloud
09-19-2017, 23:16
I'm not sure a serious photographer asks people in a hiking chat room what camera to use...

rafe
09-20-2017, 00:17
I'm not sure a serious photographer asks people in a hiking chat room what camera to use...

Goodness gracious, why not?

You could ask that question in a photo/gear forum and hope someone knows a thing or two about hiking and backpacking.

Or you could ask that question here and expect that some of us know a thing or two about taking photos.

Tundracamper
09-20-2017, 06:27
I have a Nikon Coolpix A. It has an APS-C sensor but is a compact camera with a very good fixed lens. I recommend getting something like that. It was not cheap. But, it's small and light weight. The wide aperture gives nice blurry backgrounds on close ups. The fixed lens forces you to be creative on the trail.

rafe
09-20-2017, 09:39

I could write pages on all this. It's taking some self control not to. ;)

Blackcloud's question has some merit. There really are a host of questions that we need to ask of the OP: How serious are you about your photos? What would you most like to capture? How much weight or bulk are you willing to schlep? How much are you willing to spend?

If the camera's meant for a thru hike, I'll just say this... keep it small and light, so that it can be handy at a moment's notice, for example, attached to the shoulder strap of your pack. "Weatherproof" is nice, but you generally pay a premium for that designation. Alas, that's a category of cameras I know very little about.

Considering the sort of cameras I've carried in the past, it galls me to admit that most modern smart phones can take fabulous photos. Nowadays that's a perfectly reasonable camera option for many thru hikers. As to cameras and thru hikes: Every ounce counts. You probably won't have the time or energy to devote to photos as you would, say, reaching the same vista or summit on a day hike. You may find that memories of people are as important as scenic vistas. On any given thru hike, many of those vistas will be shrouded in cloud, or a colorless void -- what you see, the light you're granted, are often beyond your control. (Though some of the best scenic photos are taken in less-than-perfect weather.)

Cameras come in a million shapes, weights and sizes but image quality generally tracks size and weight. That's just physics: photography is all about gathering light. Smartphones can't match a dedicated camera like the RX-100, but are you willing to carry those extra eight ounces from Georgia to Maine? (Or pay the price? Or keep the camera intact?) The RX-100 can be beat by an SLR or mirrorless camera, etc. and ad infinitum.

When shopping around -- if you care about image quality -- one hint of a camera's "seriousness" is the ability to shoot RAW files. In fact, if you even know or care about RAW files, you'll want to consider something better than a smartphone.

Bottom line, the OP's question is too broad. But I'll roll with it anyway.

Slo-go'en
09-20-2017, 11:53
I use a little Samsung 16.1 mega pixels camera with 5X optical zoom. It has served me well for the last few years. I did get it a little wet last year in Vermont and that caused some trouble, but I found a bag of rice in a shelter the next day which I used to help dry it out with. Got to remember to put the camera away in a plastic bag before it starts to rain and not leave it in the belt pouch!

Anyway, there are a number of shirt pocket cameras available in the $100-150 range which would be fine.
This picture is from the Samsung taken a few days ago on the Grafton Loop trail. I'm happy with the quality.

walkinmyshoes
09-29-2017, 10:37
Guess iPhone 8/X will be enough for the high quality photos:) But for now I use iPhone 7

KCNC
09-29-2017, 10:49

Quite the contrary. I've been serious about photography since I was 13 years old and got my first SLR. I've got tens of thousands tied up in film and digital gear, but I'm not going to haul my Hasselblad down the trail.

I'm not willing to buy every ruggedized camera on the market to to a side-by-side comparison, I'm going to start by asking others for their input. I did the same thing when I started looking at dive cameras and housings. There's something to be said about learning from the experience of others. :)

If it helps narrow my search then I'm better off.

KCNC
09-29-2017, 11:04
I'm looking at the Canon Powershot D30 (or whatever the model number happens to be at the moment.)

Reasons for considering this camera:
• I've had several generations of Powershot and all have been excellent in every respect. Friends who are equally serious photographers also carry the Powershot as a pocket camera.
• You can go "idiot box" (fully automatic) and get good photos in nearly every environment
• You can manipulate just about everything about the exposure and focus and get amazing photos if you want to.
• It shoots pretty nice video.
• Optical zoom is good enough to rarely need digital zoom.
• The 4 generations I've had over the past ~15 years have performed well and the last two are still in regular use. The first one fell victim to a drop on a tile floor and the second fell out of a bag on a train. (I haven't purchased a ruggedized Canon yet - but I do have a waterproof Olympus that has done well.)
• All other things being equal, I like to maintain brand loyalty. Most of the time this streamlines the different types of chargers and cables I need to keep around. It also means that, in many cases, I can share a common pool of batteries across a couple of cameras, so it doesn't matter if we're going to the zoo or the beach, we've got extra batteries.

Good luck!

Venchka
09-29-2017, 18:30
I've got tens of thousands tied up in film and digital gear, but I'm not going to haul my Hasselblad down the trail.

Why not? You could do worse.
Wayne

rafe
09-30-2017, 00:08
Why not? You could do worse.
Wayne

David Muench has a whole book of photos taken on the AT with an 8x10 view camera. Even the Hassy won't beat those. How much gear are you willing to schlep? It kinda depends on your style of travel, how long are you out there for, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Venchka
09-30-2017, 04:09
I backpacked in Colorado with a Pentax 6x7 and 105 mm lens.
It was all I owned.
I've toted my 4x5 gear all around east Texas. I'm still alive.
Wayne

jjozgrunt
09-30-2017, 04:55
I have used an Olympus TG3 for a number of years. I think they are up to TG5 now. Dust and waterproof, rechargeable in camera battery from a brick, has an app that will let you take remote photo's/videos, and they are high quality.

rafe
09-30-2017, 10:06
I backpacked in Colorado with a Pentax 6x7 and 105 mm lens.
It was all I owned.
I've toted my 4x5 gear all around east Texas. I'm still alive.

Yes and David Muench is also still alive, though he's about 80 now.

https://www.amazon.com/Uncommon-Places-Celebration-Appalachian-Country/dp/0917953401

Venchka
09-30-2017, 10:57
Okay. So a person is free to choose how they will record their activities?
I simply said that there might be worse choices than a Hasselblad. I stand by that.
If I were fortunate enough to own a Hasselblad SWC I would absolutely use it on backpacking trips.
YMMV
Wayne

rafe
09-30-2017, 11:12
Venchka, I there's disagreement between us. We're all free to choose what gear to take on our hikes.

I've been all over the map on this, myself.

www.terrapinphoto.com/wp

Venchka
09-30-2017, 11:32
No worries. Makes the world go round. Even Mr. Adams scaled down on equipment later in his career.
It's all good.
Wayne

KCNC
09-30-2017, 12:55
Well, considering that one lens could pay for a full set of *really nice* ultralight hiking gear to cover most seasons, I'd rather not subject it to the abuse. :) And the one "limitation" of medium format (in my opinion) is the dominance of fixed focal-length lenses, so I'd have to haul 2-3...

Then there's the weight - all that Zeiss glass is HEAVY! :)

Venchka
09-30-2017, 13:49
Man up! Hire a burrow or llama!
[emoji1][emoji106][emoji41]
I feel challenged. Stay tuned.
Wayne

KCNC
09-30-2017, 14:48
Man up! Hire a burrow or llama!
[emoji1][emoji106][emoji41]
I feel challenged. Stay tuned.
Wayne

All the llama rental places are charging mileage these days! :)

JJ505
10-02-2017, 16:14
@Feral Bill, Does the Olympus SP 500 allow you to add filters, small telephoto, or use rechargeable batteries? (not real thrilled about 4 AA batteries). Otherwise, looks like something I was wanting. Relax I'm not a backpacker, a day hiker and want a camera for travel as well as hiking. Thanks for your post.

--JJ

Odd Man Out
10-02-2017, 16:57

I too have one of these but it's been dropped a few too many times. Still works, but there is a big dent in the bottom and the lens cover is gone. Cell phone cameras *CAN* take great pictures, but the often don't. I've had lots of pictures ruined by cell phone camera fails. But for posting sanpshots on-line, they are probably good enough. I like the ability to take better than average pictures and make nice prints but don't want to haul around an SLR. I have shopped some of the enthusiast pocket cameras. This area of the market is growing as the cheap point and shoot cameras have mostly been replaced by cell phones. The really good (read expensive) pocket cameras will have sensors that are larger than a cell phone or cheap P&S camera. Some may be the size of a SLR (most somewhere in between). If I were most concerned with picture quality (and not willing to haul an SLR) I would pay most attention to sensor size, software, and lens quality. However, I think I am getting to the point that I may just stop taking pictures on the trail - unless I'm going someplace new that is particularly photogenic. I might invest in something like a Sony RX100, Canon G9, or Lumix LX100 for that trek to Everest Base Camp.

Feral Bill
10-02-2017, 18:42
You can only use the 4 AAs, but they last quite a while. Any accessories are long out of production, but might be around used. See Ebay and good luck. The zoom has good reach.
@Feral Bill, Does the Olympus SP 500 allow you to add filters, small telephoto, or use rechargeable batteries? (not real thrilled about 4 AA batteries). Otherwise, looks like something I was wanting. Relax I'm not a backpacker, a day hiker and want a camera for travel as well as hiking. Thanks for your post.

--JJ

JJ505
10-02-2017, 20:47
Thanks Feral Bill.

Malto
10-02-2017, 20:47
I used to just use an iPhone until I was unable to reach out and get a good picture of a grizzly in Yellowstone. I then got a Nikon Coolpix S7000 with a 20x zoom. Critters are no longer out of range. But I also discovered that a stable shooting platform is also needed so I also take a very small tripod on most trips. One other cool feature is the ability to remote shoot via an iPhone using wifi. It allow great shots n low light which can be tough to get clear. Here is an example taken via remote.

Another Kevin
10-04-2017, 14:29
I have a Canon SL1 that I rarely take on trail - only when the purpose of the trip is photography, in which case I'm most likely just out for a day trip, and lugging tripod, extra lenses, filters, batteries ...

For backpacking trips that involve some photography, I bring an older Canon SX150. Big advantage in my mind is that it takes drugstore batteries, so I can recharge instantly anywhere.

If I'm not expecting to photograph anything, I'll use my phone,. I've actually gotten some nice pix that way. (Click to enlarge)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7737/28554173480_1c02a129f0_z.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/28554173480)

Sure, that sky would have been more dramatic with a CP on the lens, but the phone was what I had with me, and there's no shot worse than the one you didn't take. I'd say this one is saleable, if someone were doing Schoharie County tourism stuff, for instance. I've sold worse photos..