PDA

View Full Version : Getting gear to traihead?

dannybuzzell
02-04-2006, 12:11
I'm flying in to Atlanta from Mass. What constraints affect the kind of gear one can fly with? Can hiking poles be checked as baggage? How do people manage their packs while taking flights? What gear simply MUST be mailed ahead? I'm sure I'll think of some other questions soon! thanks for your help, dan b.

Footslogger
02-04-2006, 12:48
I'm flying in to Atlanta from Mass. What constraints affect the kind of gear one can fly with? Can hiking poles be checked as baggage? How do people manage their packs while taking flights? What gear simply MUST be mailed ahead? I'm sure I'll think of some other questions soon! thanks for your help, dan b.
==================================
We sent anything ahead that we thought would rouse suspicion (like our alcohol stove, cookpot, butance lighter, tent stakes etc). Hiking poles can definitely be checked and even carried on, if you wish. The current TSA regs allow them because they are classified as "walking sticks". If you decided to carry them on be sure to tell the security people that they are walking sticks and NOT ski poles. We bought a couple long 3" diameter cardboard tubes and stuffed the collaspsed poles inside. They fit in the overhead and we never had an issue on any of our flights.

'Slogger

Topcat
02-04-2006, 17:20
I flew to New Mexico last year and had my hiking poles attached to my pack and my pack in a duffle bag. I also had everything i needed in the pack except fuel and fuel bottles.

Peaks
02-04-2006, 17:50
There are other threads about flying with gear. Short answer is to put your pack and every thing else in a duffle bag, and then check the duffle bag. The duffle bag will protect your pack and straps from being torn by baggage handlers.

Look for threads about shipping stoves and fuel. No matter what the TSA rules are, airlines may impose stricter rules. Best if you ship your stove and fuel bottle ahead of time UPS ground. If you do elect instead to put stove and fuel bottle with your checked pack, then make sure the fuel bottle has been washed out and aired out so there are no fumes. Likewise for the stove. Some people do get away with stoves and fuel bottles in their pack, but is it really worth risking it? And don't even try to check your pack with fuel or canisters in it.

Kerosene
02-04-2006, 18:13
I've been very successful with the duffel bag method that Peaks describes above. My Leki hiking poles telescope down just enough to fit in a medium sized canvas duffel with my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack, boots, and other stuff crammed in the extra space.

The big problem is what to do with the duffel bag when you arrive. You could mail it home, or stuff it in a locker if you'll be returning to that airport. Unfortunately, there aren't too many airports with long-term lockers anymore after 9-11.

I have my shuttle either pick up an isobutane canister for me or stop by the outfitter on my way to the trailhead. A week later I burn off all the extra gas, punch a hole in the bottom, and toss in the trash.

hustler
02-04-2006, 19:20
I flew to the trail last year. I mailed my hiking poles and cooking gear to neels gap and went cold until I got there. I was a little neverous about my stakes but I never got called out on them, due to only having carry on.

Frosty
02-04-2006, 20:30
The big problem is what to do with the duffel bag when you arrive. Go to Goodwill and buy a suitcase for four or five bucks. Get it large enough that you collapsed poles will fit in (length for duffle, diagonal for traditional suitcase). Pack your gear, check the bag and enjoy the flight.

When you get to Atlanta, get your suitcase at baggage claim and take your backpack and all your gear out. Load the backpack with your gear and leave the suitcase by a trash receptacle. Hoist your backpack and head out.

freefall
02-04-2006, 20:32
When you get to Atlanta, get your suitcase at baggage claim and take your backpack and all your gear out. Load the backpack with your gear and leave the suitcase by a trash receptacle. Hoist your backpack and head out.

This ought to make TSA's day rather exciting. An unclaimed suitcase all alone in an airport...:-?

dannybuzzell
02-04-2006, 20:56
I really appreciate the quick responses to my humble query. I think the duffle solution will be the choice. Sending the bag home or ahead will be my next problem. I'm planning to section from Springer to NOC so it makes sense to simply ship the travel gear ahead and reuse on the return flight. Thanks again all, dan b.

Frosty
02-04-2006, 23:23
This ought to make TSA's day rather exciting. An unclaimed suitcase all alone in an airport...:-?Well, these poor security guys train for weeks, review threats, keep on their toes all shift, and the only threat they get is some drunk puking in front of Au Bon Pain on Concourse C.

Leaving an empty suitcase, even next to a trash receptacle, we relieve some of the boredom in their lives. They can put on body armor, run through the concourses yelling HUT HUT HUT, impressing all the babes, they can use exotic equipment that heretofore they had not been allowed to touch, and in general have the most fun you can possibly get paid for having.

And years later, when telling stories in the rocker on the proch, the suitcase episode will reach epic story-telling proportions.

And they will owe it all to us.

Plus, by buying the suitcase at Goodwill, we do more good, as their sales generally go to support the handicapped.

What more could you ask for?