PDA

View Full Version : Trail condition in N. Georgia post Irma?

GaryM
09-13-2017, 15:33
Originally we were starting at Springer on the 9th but that pesky hurricane really screwed things up for us. We are now looking at a week long hike starting at Springer beginning on the 16th (Sep). So, any idea how the trail is?

JC13
09-13-2017, 15:41
Stone1984 was out during the weather event but he was at Neel Gap last post I saw. Not sure if he continued north or went home before it got bad. He might have some insight though.

illabelle
09-13-2017, 15:58
Might be good to read this notice from Laurie P:

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/126517-Visitors-asked-to-avoid-Chattahoochee-NF-(GA)-due-to-down-and-damaged-trees

We are STRONGLY encouraging folks to stay off roads, trails and backcountry areas of the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forests today. Down and damaged trees are everywhere, and pose a serious, life-threatening risk to visitors. Most roads and trails are blocked, and trees continue to fall. We have crews assisting trapped visitors, sawing out roads, and assessing damage. WE NEED YOU to keep yourself and our personnel safe by making smart choices and avoiding the national forest at this time.

There is extensive damage on the national forest. The list of known site closures on the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forests continues to expand as we assess the impacts of Tropical Storm #Irma. We will update and share this post as changes occur...

daddytwosticks
09-13-2017, 16:02
Saw someplace on Facebook that FS 42 was shut down. The post didn't say why, but assume it's due to storm damage? :)

soumodeler
09-13-2017, 18:14
Its got to be rough if the main roads are any indication. I have seen trees down everywhere and a few posts on facebook about lots of blowdowns on the trail as well.

Maineiac64
09-13-2017, 20:43
I drove up through neels gap today and there were a lot of trees down for miles around. Ron Brown reported a lot of trees on the FS roads and across the trail. I would try to figure out how far north the damage goes and get above it if it were me.

skater
09-13-2017, 22:16
Trails are still being assessed but USFS is urging everyone to stay off the trails. Numerous forest roads are blocked. Numerous reports of blowdowns, in many cases blocking the trails. There is still a danger of additional trees falling. I know how disappointing it will be to not start at Springer but please consider hiking somewhere north of Bly Gap for at least the near term. I haven't heard anything about the Benton MacKaye yet but I would expect it to be in the same condition in Georgia.

saltysack
09-13-2017, 23:58
Why not simply go lil farther north? Personally I much prefer NC,TN,VA on Ga on the AT. How long and how far you plan to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryM
09-14-2017, 05:02
Looks like further north is now on the list. Where would be a good section for a week long hike? One person driving in from Missouri, and one from Florida.

Lauriep
09-14-2017, 06:49
While looking for alternatives to Georgia, note that Standling Indian Campground in the Nantahala National Forest is still closed (located close to the Trail at mile 85-90). This would be an indication of the level of damage sustained in the area. The Trail, which is at much higher elevations than the campground, is likely to have more blowdowns. The US Forest Service office in North Carolina posted yesterday:

"Damage assessments are ongoing following Hurricane Irma. Some areas and roads were impacted heavily and will remain temporarily closed until they can be safely reopened. Visitors should continue to take precautions. Be aware of the potential for rising water and falling trees and limbs."

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park was expecting some damage at high elevations but trail assessments for the A.T. have not yet been completed. The Newfound Gap Road and Clingmans Dome Road were closed, with trees down across the road. The roads have reopened but all it takes is one big tree across the Trail on a really steep slope to make conditions treacherous.

saltysack
09-14-2017, 09:13
Looks like further north is now on the list. Where would be a good section for a week long hike? One person driving in from Missouri, and one from Florida.

Can't beat MR and Grayson Highlands...I'm going back late October for a repeat...hope this area wasn't hit...

peakbagger
09-14-2017, 09:31
While sectioning one year there was small hurricane that unexpectedly came in and sat over Franklin NC (just north of the GA border). The Nantahala NF was closed entirely, we headed down to GA and there was some storm damage but not severe. We were slacking so we carried some hand saws to cut trees but the volunteers were already out doing the big stuff in less than 48 hours. The biggest damage was the access roads, many were washed out. 4 or 5 days later we headed up to NC and the Standing Indian area was closed by NF order, they would not allow us to do the Standing Indian section but did allow us to take the blue blaze from Deep Gap to the campground. Deep Gap road was heavily washed out in multiple places. We hiked north to NOC and the trail was in reasonable condition but there were a couple of relocations due to areas of side hilling washed out. Many of the side roads we were using to access the trail were partially washed out. The FS policy is that they don't want people in the backcountry if the roads they may need to rescue folks are closed. Overall the trail was in pretty good shape due to really good design but plenty of widow makers lurking up in the canopy.

I expect it may be similar conditions this time around.

Lauriep
09-15-2017, 17:03
Here are reports from a shuttle driver in Georgia I spoke with today who passed on info he received from a Georgia A.T. Club member and some hikers:

from GATC member:
Between Wood Gap and Henry Gap (4 mile stretch) - 80 blowdowns
Lance creek campsites covered in blowdowns

from hikers:
Between Hawk Mountain and Hightower Gap (1/2 mile stretch) - 3 large blowdowns, have to crawl under/around

The shuttle driver also noted that there are still road closures on paved roads.

The road closures have hampered the ability of trail maintainers to access the trail to clear blowdowns or even conduct assessments.

Here are excerpts from an updated post from the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/ChattOconeeNF/posts/1578161768890276):

UPDATED 9/15 10:30am - several rec areas and roads reopened
There is extensive damage on the national forest. The list of known site closures on the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forests continues to expand as we assess the impacts of Tropical Storm #Irma. We will update and share this post as changes occur.

Roads Update (**this is NOT a comprehensive list, as assessments are still ongoing and likely will be for many days):

Chattooga River Ranger District:
Most roads are blocked by fallen trees, including Poplar Stump Road, FSR86C, Warwoman Road, and access through Sandy Ford Road, among many others. Tallulah River Road has been cleared for passenger vehicles, but low hanging trees and power lines limit access with trailers and RVs. Overflow, Willis Knob, Curahee, Patterson Gap, Darnell Creek, Wildcat and Hale Ridge were cleared on 9/13. Tray Mountain Road FSR79 is cleared up to the AT.

Blue Ridge Ranger District:
Many roads, especially along ridgelines, are also blocked. Dicks Creek Road and Montgomery Creek are among the blocked routes. Sawyers have cleared Mulky Gap Road, Hwy 180, FSR 77 and FSR 80 from Ranger Camp to Cooper Gap. FSR42 is cleared to Springer Mountain. FSR 58 Three Forks is open.

We are working hard to assess road conditions and saw-out as we are able. Please be patient as it may take weeks to completely reopen parts of the forest.
We are strongly encouraging folks to stay off roads, trails and backcountry areas of the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forests and give crews time to do their work. Down and damaged trees are everywhere, and pose a serious, life-threatening risk to visitors. Along with many roads, most trails are blocked, and trees continue to fall. We have crews assisting trapped visitors, sawing out roads, and assessing damage. We need you to keep yourself and our personnel safe by making smart choices and avoiding the national forest at this time.

We will continue to post updates about hazards and closures here on Facebook and twitter @ChattOconeeNF and on our website at www.fs.usda.gov/conf (http://www.fs.usda.gov/conf).

Lauriep
09-15-2017, 17:31
The Trail Supervisor for the Georgia A.T. Club just reported more than 600 blowdowns (fallen trees) from Hurricane Irma along their 75-mile A.T. section. Approximately half of the GATC's section is in designated Wilderness, which means that chainsaws cannot be used.

Please be patient while volunteers complete their work.

Only those with current A.T. chainsaw or cross-cut saw certifications are authorized to use these tools to perform volunteer work on the A.T.

Laurie P.
ATC

Venchka
09-15-2017, 18:01
Yo! Folks!
Wait until you get an All Clear from the folks in charge.
There are other places to hike.
Wayne

skater
09-15-2017, 18:19
I can now provide more details on north of Dicks Creek Gap. There are 50 blowdowns just from DCG to Blue Ridge Gap, a 5.6 mile stretch. I ran into a flipflopping SOBO who said the 20 miles north of the Georgia border are even worse.

Straich
09-16-2017, 07:30
Originally we were starting at Springer on the 9th but that pesky hurricane really screwed things up for us. We are now looking at a week long hike starting at Springer beginning on the 16th (Sep). So, any idea how the trail is?

I just returned from hiking the stretch between Woody Gap and Neel's Gap. I had intended to stay out two weeks, but twothis days was all I could make. I have to say I've never seen anything like it. The trail itself is covered with thick blanket of leaves, branches, acorns, as is the forest floor. So it is difficult to make out the trail. You have to watch yourself to make sure you stay on the trail. And the blowdowns? My God. So many. And huge. I've hiked through ice downs in early spring, but present conditions are orders of magnitude greater. Blowdowns every two or three hundred feet. Small, medium size, huge. Lance Creek? Find it if you can. It, the creek, the trail, the small wooden bridge, the campsites are totally and completely buried under a mountain of fallen hardwoods. Unrecognizable. The first day I intended to make it from Woody to top of Blood. I got to Lance Creek. My question is, with blowdowns so huge and numerous, does anyone have any idea when the trail will be clear again? How long will it take to clean this up?

jcreamer
09-16-2017, 08:32
Very dissapointing to hear this Straich as myself and a hiking partner were set to hit the trail at Woody Gap next Sunday (one week). Sounds like we should second guess that decision. Thanks for the update everyone.
JC

Venchka
09-16-2017, 08:51
More importantly, are there any fatalities under all of those trees?
Obviously, Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee aren't fit for hiking until further notice. Has anyone tried southern Virginia?
Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico were gorgeous last weekend.
Montana got a nice snowfall and the fires might be out.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
09-16-2017, 09:59
And the blowdowns? My God. So many. And huge. I've hiked through ice downs in early spring, but present conditions are orders of magnitude greater. Blowdowns every two or three hundred feet.

blowdowns every 2 or three hundred feet would be a mild annoyance.

Theres a current section of CT that has them every 10-50 feet feet...that gets to you after a dozen or so. All going uphill of course (or downhill depending on your direction). But its thankfully only a mile or so.

same issue...wilderness...cant get chainsaw approval, so its been that way .....a while

I chipped a tooth on a blowdown once across trail at head height. I was looking at trail tread, my hat bill obscured it from me, next thing I knew I was on my arse and spitting out piece of tooth. Ive actually been knocked on my arse several times by such trees..

blue indian
09-16-2017, 10:55
Geez, I had no idea the damage was going to be this extensive. While some of us might be frustrated or bummed out about not going on our vacations, lets think about the folks and critters who were directly affected by the storm. Still hope I can hike soon though...

Maineiac64
09-16-2017, 11:38
Thats sad, I hope it goes well getting everything cleaned up.

Stone1984
09-17-2017, 06:14
I'm a little late here but we ended up leaving the trail at Unicoi Gap. It just got to the point where it was to dangerous to continue. Even 2 flip floppers jumped north to Fontana Dam to continue. It will take a while to get all the trees cleaned up without the use of chainsaws.

Deacon
09-17-2017, 06:39
Who makes the decision against chainsaws and why? Is it the noise or the gas/oil? Stihl has come out with a great battery powered chainsaw that can cut all day long.

peakbagger
09-17-2017, 07:16
Who makes the decision against chainsaws and why? Is it the noise or the gas/oil? Stihl has come out with a great battery powered chainsaw that can cut all day long.

My understanding is chainsaws and powered equipment (including battery powered) is normally banned from use in declared wilderness areas. That being said I was also told by a couple of reliable sources that the USFS local supervisor can waive this ban with "the stroke of the pen" during a recognized emergency which includes subsequent clean up.

There was controversy in the whites after a tropical storm(Irene) hit the area and the FS supervisor elected to not waive the ban. He made a statement that the forest would stick with hand tools. Unfortunately he really didnt have the staff to do so and it took years to reopen some trails and many trails in wilderness areas are still very rough with temporary or hiker created bypasses around the worse spots. In some cases they used to damage as an excuse to down grade trails networks. They also did some "gold plated" projects with restoration funds that sucked up a large amount of the funds. The most egregious is a "road to nowhere" adjacent to the Pemi wilderness whose sole purpose is to allow a septic tank truck access to pump out a vault type outhouse.

Venchka
09-17-2017, 09:14
Another Kevin posted the power tool philosophy in a thread maybe a month ago.
I'm paraphrasing from memory. Always a risk.
In a nutshell, limited power equipment can be used to protect the environment or in the interest of public safety.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
09-17-2017, 09:24
Its the definition of wilderness......intended to preserve the character of it

A battery chainsaw.......dont make me laugh. Thats for trimming branches in yard. Could work for limbing fallen...till batt dies.

Theres a reason they advertise it cutting dried 6" logs, and not multiple cuts in 30" green oak. 10-14" bar.

Analog_Kidd
09-17-2017, 09:46
I had planned on doing Amicolola to Unicoi starting on 10/7/17. I was inspired by my Nephews, who thru-hiked this year, to start section hiking the AT. Wanted to start at the beginning and work my way up, but looks like those plans may get changed, thanks to Irma.

So, Two questions:
1. What are the chances of this section of the trail being mostly clear by then? A few downed trees don't bother me, but I do want to be safe.
2. What is the next reasonable section, headed North, that is clear? Looking for about a 50-60 mile long stretch.

Stone1984
09-17-2017, 09:51
Analog_Kidd
I would not try to go to Unicoi, there are 2 very dangerous blowdowns right before unicoi. They will take a good while to clear up, but until you confirm those are clear I wouldn't risk it. I think Amicolola to Neel gap should be clear enough for a 3-4 day slow section hike. But north of Neels Gap is rough.

illabelle
09-17-2017, 11:24
I had planned on doing Amicolola to Unicoi starting on 10/7/17. I was inspired by my Nephews, who thru-hiked this year, to start section hiking the AT. Wanted to start at the beginning and work my way up, but looks like those plans may get changed, thanks to Irma.

So, Two questions:
1. What are the chances of this section of the trail being mostly clear by then? A few downed trees don't bother me, but I do want to be safe.
2. What is the next reasonable section, headed North, that is clear? Looking for about a 50-60 mile long stretch.
Analog, for a first hike without the difficulties of Irma, I'd suggest heading to the section just north of the Smokies. Max Patch is a beautiful grassy bald that will give you a nice reward for your efforts. From Davenport Gap to Hot Springs might be a nice enjoyable walk for you. I have not seen this area since Irma, but I also live in the Knoxville area, and there was little storm damage where I live. I would expect that section to be clear enough.

Recycled
09-17-2017, 12:39
Does anyone know the condition of FS71 to the Deep Gap parking lot? We are planning to hike from Deep Gap Parking lot to Fontana Dam in a few weeks.

saltysack
09-17-2017, 13:32
Does anyone know the condition of FS71 to the Deep Gap parking lot? We are planning to hike from Deep Gap Parking lot to Fontana Dam in a few weeks.

If standing indian campground is closed still I'd assume it got hit. Maybe call outdoor 76 or top of Ga hostel see if any reports. Worst case start at WSG.

Stone1984
09-17-2017, 13:52
If standing indian campground is closed still I'd assume it got hit. Maybe call outdoor 76 or top of Ga hostel see if any reports. Worst case start at WSG.

When we called TOG they said it was really bad through there too, we were at unicoi and that was a factor in us getting off trail.

Lego
09-17-2017, 18:15
I had a 3 to 4 day section hike planned starting Oct 7, Neels to Dicks Creek Gap. I called Top o Georgia for an update today, they said people have been hiking through, but to have to expect to maneuver around some blowdowns. They recommended dropping your expected mileage per day and possibly have long clothing to avoid getting scratched up climbing over things. They also recommended hemkers use the shelters because of the unknown stability of some of the trees. And everyone should take extra care to look for widow-makers above them when camping. Just wanted to pass on what Id heard. I have really been looking forward to this hike, so I will call for more updates in the coming weeks but I think I might go for it, just give myself another day to finish it.

DCoy
09-18-2017, 10:52
Appreciate the updates. I have been planning to start Sunday, Oct 8, Amicalola Falls to NC border (then back to Dicks Creek). Still wanting to go for it but look for more info on trail conditions in the coming weeks.

Deacon
09-19-2017, 08:16
Its the definition of wilderness......intended to preserve the character of it

A battery chainsaw.......dont make me laugh. Thats for trimming branches in yard. Could work for limbing fallen...till batt dies.

Theres a reason they advertise it cutting dried 6" logs, and not multiple cuts in 30" green oak. 10-14" bar.

That was my feeling until the dealer talked me into trying it out. I tried the smaller version (for cutting branches and such) also the larger one that's amazing. I wasn't laughing after I used it a while.

Stihl is making pretty good headway with their tools. There's a battery backpack that allows chainsaw use up to 11 hours. That's longer than any trail maintainer will be out for the day.

kingairguy69
09-22-2017, 12:05
I was planning Unicoi to Winding Stair Gap mid end of October, reading this it does not look good. Any thoughts?

soumodeler
09-22-2017, 13:09
I wouldn't worry too much about it. They are steadily making progress clearing the trail. A month from now I would feel pretty good about the trail being 95%+ back in order. You may find one or two spots with issues, but nothing major.

Fireplug
09-24-2017, 20:09
I'll be hiking from Springer to Neel Gap next week sometime. Down trees just add to the challenge.

generoll
09-24-2017, 22:29
I shuttles a hiker to Springer last week and he called me today with a trail report. He said the trail was fairly well cleared from Springer to Hog Pen. He reported numerous downed trees from Hog Pen north to Unicoi. In some cases several trees had been knocked down by larger trees and created a thicket which required significant detours to get around and back to the trail. He told me that southbounders had reported downed trees into North Carolina.

Isa23
09-26-2017, 11:48
Like a few others in this thread, my friends and I were planning a 4-5 day section from Springer to Neels Gap starting October 7. Generoll, it sounds like that section of the trail is good enough but did the hiker mention the condition of some of the campsites that others reported on earlier? Does anyone know the state of the forest roads out there? I'm specifically checking in on Woody Gap and also Jarrard Gap/Dicks Creek Road in terms of shuttles being able to make it out there in case my friends have to get off-trail for work.

Venchka
09-26-2017, 13:10
Has anyone called the folks at Mountain Crossings? They just might have a clue.
Wayne

Lego
09-26-2017, 13:26
I called Mountain Crossings about a week ago, after I had talked to Top of Georgia. Springer to Neels is mostly cleared with perhaps only two blow downs left on the trail. I didn't ask about the state of these side roads, but I would recommend sending a private message to Ron's Appalachian Trail shuttle service on Facebook. He would kbow. A week ago the trail was mostly cleared up towards hogpen Gap, but I read on Ron's page that the clearing was proceeding from Unicoi Gap northbound this week. Both top of Georgia hostel & Mountain Crossings said that by October most things should be cleared up to Dicks Creek Gap, they just emphasized to be more aware of potentially falling branches and for hammockers to be sure of the stability of the trees they tie up to.

Venchka
09-26-2017, 13:35
Great information. Thanks! Almost makes me want to saddle up and head East.
Wayne

soumodeler
09-26-2017, 16:31
Posted by GATC earlier:

Hurricane Irma Update: Two weeks out from the storm, the trail condition in Georgia has improved. Volunteer maintainers have been clearing out the trail. The Forest Service has cleared many of the Forest Service roads that provide access to the trail, as well.
The biggest challenge has been the roughly 45 miles of trail within designated wilderness areas. Crews will be concentrating on those this week and next. Work in wilderness areas require the use of the lowest form of technology, in this case crosscut saws and other low tech tools. Wilderness areas are also generally more remote, doubling the challenges that Club volunteers face to clear them out.
At this point in time the trail is open, however there will still be challenges for hikers in some areas. Be safe and enjoy your hike!

maptester
09-27-2017, 09:54
Ron Brown had the following report on his FB page on 9/25/17: "from Darleen Jarman: "Crews are still working. Hightower to Woody is mostly clear. Lance Creek area is clear. There have been others out north of Springer and north of Dicks Creek. Others are going out this week north of Unicoi." "Springer to Hightower is clear."