PDA

View Full Version : Gram counters wallet.

Calamine
09-15-2017, 15:00
Just a simple question, out of curiosity what do most alter light hikers do for a Wallet? I've got my regular three section while it with me, to hold three credit card and some cash, ID, etc. It's very inconspicuous, and I just put it at the bottom of a dry bag and as long as it doesn't get wet it doesn't weigh anything more. But at this far in the game I've been even getting rid of the tiniest pieces of paper, or absolutely anything I can do to make my pack lighter for man. What's the general consensus?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC13
09-15-2017, 15:11
Ziplock snack size bag.

daddytwosticks
09-15-2017, 15:30
Ziplock sandwich bag, sealed then folded a couple of times, then rubber banded. Done. :)

MuddyWaters
09-15-2017, 15:33
Small cuben drawstring pouch
In my zippered pocket

When they find my.body, i want them to know who i is.

And if pack go missing, somehow, having credit card and truck key helps a bit to get home...

Before you think your pack " cant" dissapear, consider if a bear just walks up and takes it from you when set up tent or cooking

It has happened

garlic08
09-15-2017, 15:58
Ditto ziplock snack bag.

Calamine
09-15-2017, 16:01
Wow, thanks I'd never considered losing my pack or finding my body...far out! Thanks!

Ethesis
09-15-2017, 18:28
Ziplock snack size bag.

Same here. It works really well.

map man
09-15-2017, 18:33
Quart-size Ziplock freezer bag -- not the kind of ziplock that uses a slider to open and close, but the other kind.

Calamine
09-15-2017, 20:31
What's the ultralight tactic for prescription medicine?

gbolt
09-15-2017, 20:32
I did the CF draw string pouch for one season. I got tired of switching items from wallet to pouch and back again. That's when I switched to an Allnet Nylon Wallet. It is lightweight and holds what I need for daily use and then I remove items when I hit the trail. Weight difference is negligible and the cost was $15 for the Allnet Wallet. So here is a case where minimizing for the trail helped me minimize in life.

fastfoxengineering
10-17-2017, 05:24
Been satisfied with my $10 Zpacks wallet. Holds cash, credit card, ID, photos, golf pencil, and a few sheets of rite in the rain paper with important numbers/info written down...

Keep it in my zippered pants pocket while on trail. Nothing inside has gotten wet.

Been using it for a solid year and shows little wear.

One of my better purchases.

Ziplock bag wallet is the epitome of hiker trash lol.. works great though

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

DownEaster
10-17-2017, 05:49
I favor the DIY approach. Take a Tyvek envelope (USPS, FedEx supplies these). Some work with scissors and package tape and you've got a very lightweight wallet that's configured to your own specifications. The advantage is that you then follow standard wallet habits (automatically put it back in the same pocket in your hiking pants) whereas you don't have those useful habits with a sandwich bag. Credit/debit cards and ID are all waterproof plastic, and U.S. currency is pretty durable, so I don't worry about getting such things wet.

TTT
10-17-2017, 06:21
A Zpacks wallet, but because I have to lug airplane tickets and medical insurance documents, I also carry a long water resistant pouch with a velcro flap and two loops that my belt goes through. This pouch goes discreetly into my pants and the contents gradually conform to the shape of my leg, invisible to all and sundry. I have to lose my pants in order to lose my credit card/passport etc. I carry loose cash for daily use in another pocket. If anyone is interested I'll take a photo. When my friends go on trips they borrow it from me. It has traveled the world and stood the test of time.

KCNC
10-17-2017, 11:13
I was under the impression that ultralight hikers didn't have any cash to keep track of after spending everything on their gear. :D

rafe
10-17-2017, 12:58
No wallet. License, credit card, maybe one or two other cards (health insurance, ATM card) and a bit of cash all bound together with a rubber band. Done.

BuckeyeBill
10-17-2017, 13:30

To be honest, Prescription Medication needs to be carried in its original container that has your name on it, the drug's name, dosage, date dispensed and prescribing doctor's name. While many enforcement officers may give you a break, there is always the one or two that will arrest you and confiscate your medication. Usually after they talk to the prescribing doctor they let you go, along with your medication. Personally I avoid contact with any officer of the law.

Tipi Walter
10-17-2017, 13:49
No wallet. License, credit card, maybe one or two other cards (health insurance, ATM card) and a bit of cash all bound together with a rubber band. Done.

Exactly what I do. I wrap paper money around the cards and use a rubber band. Plus, I always make sure I have a couple dollar bills in case I need to get change for a phone call . . . if there are still any payphones left.

JC13
10-17-2017, 14:17
What's the ultralight tactic for prescription medicine?Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkStaying healthy enough to not need prescription medicine, at least that is my personal philosophy.

rafe
10-17-2017, 14:46
Staying healthy enough to not need prescription medicine, at least that is my personal philosophy.
That works, until it doesn't.

RangerZ
10-17-2017, 20:05
I use a heavy duty plastic id holder with a ziplock closure. Waterproof, just fits id, cards, money, etc. I keep an expired driver's license in it for when I'm hiking from home ("But officer, I'm not driving"). I may put a gum band around it to reduce the chance of it sliding out of my already zippered back pocket.

SkeeterPee
10-17-2017, 21:41
Walgreens and I am sure others sell small pill bags. I put my medicine in these with their name and dosage. a couple prescriptions and over the counter. a couple over counter just incase like Imodium and benedryl I just keep in their blister pack. These all go in to my fist add quart bag ziplock.

scrabbler
10-17-2017, 21:49
You can also get the small ziplocks in the crafts section at Walmart. Tiny and perfect for meds.

hikermiker
10-18-2017, 16:28
Take as many pills as you need for the number of days you will be out. Add one or two just in case it takes you longer. If drops instead of pills ask the Dr for samples.

hikermiker
10-18-2017, 16:31

Take as many pills as you need for the number of days you will be out. Add one or two just in case it takes you longer. If drops instead of pills ask the Dr for samples.

brswan
10-19-2017, 10:48
Zip lock snack bag here too

SwathHiker
10-19-2017, 15:24
Mountain laurel designs makes a nice UL wallet in Robic gridstop 1.4 Oz I think.

Turk6177
10-19-2017, 17:51
The cool thing about ULA backpacks is they come with a small zippered pouch you can use as a wallet when in town. Personally, I only carry my license, credit card and some cash. I could probably even lighten that up by photocopying my insurance card.

Odd Man Out
10-19-2017, 18:39
I can't get used to not having a wallet in my back pocket. If I feel it's not there I have a brief panic attack even if I know it's stashed in my pack. SI I just got a cheap minimal nylon wallet from Wal Mart and carry only the essentials (some cash, credit card, atm card, drivers license, health insurance cards, HSA debit card, etc

Redbird2
12-03-2017, 10:23
Zpacks wallet zip pouch $10

Ruck
12-03-2017, 13:56
Here’s to ziplock wallets. Pills fit well in the super small ziplocks that comes with sweaters (with buttons or thread) or small electronics.

hipbone
12-03-2017, 16:02
Tyvek credit card holder that banks give out for free...then that first in my ziplock dirty bag with my other small articles

hipbone
12-03-2017, 16:03
Tyvek credit card holder that banks give out for free...then that first in my ziplock dirty bag with my other small articlesFirst=goes (auto correct)

hipbone
12-03-2017, 16:04
First=goes (auto correct)Damn it...dirty=ditty

handlebar
12-04-2017, 10:30
For RX, OTC, and supplements: I take seven pills a day, 1 RX, 1 OTC, the rest supplements (multivitamin, low dose aspirin, Tumeric, etc.). I wrap each days' pills in a square of Glad Cling Wrap, tie it off and store all in a pint ziploc freezer bag. The weight and bulk of these can add up so on long trails (over 500 miles), some of these wind up in a bounce box along with extra maps, etc. Never had a lawman hassle me about my meds, but I have taken photos of the RX bottles to prove I have been prescribed.

Minos
12-04-2017, 16:51
Just a simple question, out of curiosity what do most alter light hikers do for a Wallet? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if I need one after dropping a couple Ben Franklin on UL backpacking gear...

Deacon
12-04-2017, 20:33
I use the “allet” ultra thin. Only weighs 0.3 oz.

https://www.all-ett.com/product/ultra-slim-id-wallet/https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171205/956ea6267608e06ff37d291d95d6e98e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gbolt
12-04-2017, 23:33
I use the “allet” ultra thin. Only weighs 0.3 oz.
https://www.all-ett.com/product/ultra-slim-id-wallet/
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
+1 Switched to this and I use it off trail daily as well. However, I also sometimes use a Z Packs Pouch because it holds change quieter than just jingling in the pockets.

Alex Blain-Laider
12-23-2017, 14:15
I've been using a (DIY) Tyvek "Mighty Wallet" by Dynomighty; love it, especially since kiddos drew on and colored it.

LIhikers
12-24-2017, 12:40
To be honest, Prescription Medication needs to be carried in its original container that has your name on it, the drug's name, dosage, date dispensed and prescribing doctor's name. While many enforcement officers may give you a break, there is always the one or two that will arrest you and confiscate your medication. Usually after they talk to the prescribing doctor they let you go, along with your medication. Personally I avoid contact with any officer of the law.

+1 for the above, except I don't need any prescription meds yet, but my wife does.
I even carry Ibuprofen in an original container

JRinGeorgia
04-26-2018, 11:09
++ ziploc snack size for wallet.

For emergency ID I had a dog tag made with my info, ordered off Amazon for a few bucks, that's larksheaded to one shoulder strap.

For meds I count out what I need, they go in a little zip pouch sized for crafts and jewelry.

Odd Man Out
04-26-2018, 16:07
For short hikes and travel, I have a little pill container that I keep in my pocket at all times so I can get to medicine quickly. For longer hikes, I have the same pocket container but will keep the original bottles stashed away to refill it every week or so.

ggreaves
04-26-2018, 16:56
ever since I started backpacking, my wallet's always lightweight

Strategic
05-03-2018, 16:02
I use a ziplock bag for meds as well as for a wallet. Snack size does just fine unless you have a lot of meds or they're especially fragile. The wallet ziplock stays in one of my pockets with cash, ID, a couple of credit cards, and my car key (I leave the other keys well-hidden in the car.) The meds bag lives in my hygiene kit along with the soap, toothbrush, etc.

goatee
05-11-2018, 10:21
My wife buys something called cauliflower at the grocery store and I get the rubber band for a wallet.

Colter
05-11-2018, 13:11
Super light. Lasts longer and things don't slide around as much as a snack ziploc. https://cdn.usimprints.com/images/products/8187805/game-license-holder-1.jpg Fits things like credit cards and driver's license perfectly.

I get them for free where I buy my licenses.

maps_
05-25-2018, 02:08
ID + atm card + cc, folded between a few bills, wrapped with one of those thick produce rubber bands

Scrambler35
08-12-2018, 06:03
I'm currently using a compact Leather RFID wallet but you guys have got me thinking of changing it to something lighter...I was in a camping store yesterday and they had 100% waterproof, clear flexible plastic zip lock pouches, for carrying mobile smartphones in, for about $7...It would be big enough to carry my phone plus a credit card or two and a few banknotes as well, with the benefit of being waterproof too. I recently upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S9, which is waterproof anyway (up to a point) but the fact that such a pouch would allow me to carry my phone with me while I'm swimming in the Sea or a Lake or River, would be another plus point...Because I hate leaving my valuables on the shore while I go snorkelling, especially if there is a chance someone could snatch my bag and run off with it while I still have my head down in the water and can't see them...

Tundracamper
08-12-2018, 08:33
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180812/8d245f4449161224b196ec49b14c6e35.jpg

Bought an entire package of these small ziploc bags at Hobby Lobby. It was like $2 for 100. Fits IDs perfectly. Just throw the used ones out after each trip.

Buff
08-20-2018, 14:09
Definitely plastic bag! Hiker trash for the win. :)

j_jones84
10-07-2018, 01:57
You know those tyvek cardholder things they give you at the bank? ID, credit card, $20 bill. That’s it for me

Scrambler35
10-13-2018, 11:48
I use a British Treadlite DCM/cuben fiber bi-fold wallet...The lightest bi-fold, cash and credit card holding wallet in the world...The site says it weighs 6.9 grams but my digital scale says it weighs just 6.8 grams...Not cheap though...£23.99 ($31.55)! I went for the olive "camo" green version which is perfect for wild camping (which is illegal here without the landowners permission), where you don't want to carry anything bright in colour that might get you noticed. https://www.treadlitegear.co.uk/mountain-line-cuben-fiber-dcf-bifold-wallet-48-p.asp I also bought one of their DCM first aid zip pouch's, which weighs just 8.3 grams...My original first aid pouch weighed 59 grams! That was much more reasonably priced https://www.treadlitegear.co.uk/cuben-fiber-first-aid-pouch-20-p.asp

Signpost
12-07-2018, 03:46
I've seen many use the ziploc bag approach. I used a binder clip while thru hiking. Only carried DL, 1 credit and 1 debit card, insurance card, cash. I liked the minimalist approach so much I continue to use it a year and a half later.

Shady Bill
12-09-2018, 11:34
Staying healthy enough to not need prescription medicine, at least that is my personal philosophy.

Great for medical conditions you can control

MikekiM
12-15-2018, 00:48
I use a heavy duty Ziploc that's just larger than a credit card. It's designed to carry security identification that needs to be displayed. I carry my DL, insurance card, debit card and a few bucks cash. I used to carry paper with phone numbers on it but I now wear a Road ID silicone bracelet on my person and have a small dog tag stitched to both of my packs... Makes it easy to ID if my carcass is separated from my gear..

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk..

Furlough
12-15-2018, 11:03
What's the ultralight tactic for prescription medicine? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over kill I know, but: I have a large pill bottle, in it my individual meds are in small snack bags wrapped long ways, also have room for Vitamin I, Immodium, and Migrane pills.
Furlough

Zalman
12-15-2018, 12:49
+1 Switched to this and I use it off trail daily as well. However, I also sometimes use a Z Packs Pouch because it holds change quieter than just jingling in the pockets.

There's something terribly ironic about carrying change in an ultralight wallet.

Anyone use their Tilly secret stash pocket?

nuknees
03-14-2019, 19:32
...a gram counters wallet is almost always empty any way wallet: pointless - Ziploc baggy....