PDA

View Full Version : Starting South Bound in August

ShaneG
09-17-2017, 10:42
Hi
I am a South African. I have a month available in August 2018 to hike the AT. I would like to start in Maine and try and cover 15 miles per day over 30 days. I would then like to come back in 2019 and complete the trail.
My questions are
What are the conditions like in August
Is it possible to do 20 miles a day for a reasonably fit person.
Any others comments on my plans.

Springbok

illabelle
09-17-2017, 11:16
Shane,
First off, :welcome

As you are perhaps already aware, Maine and New Hampshire have a well-deserved reputation for having the most rugged parts of the AT. You can expect steep slippery climbs and descents, rocks rocks more rocks, roots roots more roots, mudholes and swamps. Many of the northbound thru-hikers find their daily mileage dropping once they reach the area. Whether you can do 15-20 miles per day is a question you'll get the answer to once you start walking. But even if you don't know how far you'll get, start anyway. When you run out of time, go home.

My experiences in NH and ME are limited to 4 trips. We hiked the White Mountains of NH in early July - weather was fantastic! Few bugs, little precipitation, temperatures mild. Our three visits to Maine have each been in late August/early September. Again, great weather, few bugs. I expect early August would be similar though you might have more company on the trail before school starts.

Have a great hike!

ShaneG
09-17-2017, 11:53
Hi Illabella
Thanks so much for the information sounds fantastic. Yip that's what I'm going to do go as far as I can then go home and make some money to complete it the next year from the south to the north. I'm just interested in how much food I should take on the 100 miles of no help etc but I'm sure I'll eventually get all that info. Going to book my flight today. No turning back now.
Shane

IslandPete
09-17-2017, 14:01
Don't try to carry all your food for the 100-mile. Go to AT Lodge in millinocket and give them half your food. They'll drop it in the wilderness halfway for you.

putts
09-17-2017, 21:21
Don't try to carry all your food for the 100-mile. Go to AT Lodge in millinocket and give them half your food. They'll drop it in the wilderness halfway for you.

That'll make your wallet nice and light too.

Some hikers are able to carry all of the food they need to get thru the HMW. I think there's a patch for it. (could be mistaken)

rafe
09-17-2017, 21:35
20 miles per day, right out of the gate, is rather ambitious for all but the very fittest individuals. 15 miles per day is much more reasonable, and even then, probably a bit ambitious.

There are only a few short "easy" sections of the AT in Maine. Most of Maine is tough as nails, and incredibly scenic.

August is a good month for hiking. It can be quite hot, but the worst summer heat has gone by, and the bugs are starting to die off. You are likely to encounter quite a few northbound thru hikers finishing their hikes. Shelters will be full.

IslandPete
09-18-2017, 05:44
That'll make your wallet nice and light toSome hikers are able to carry all of the food they need to get thru the HMW. I think there's a patch for it. (could be mistaken)
$35 isn't too bad. Depends how long you expect it to take. Everybody told us it would be difficult, and to plan on 8 days at least. We made it in an easy 5 1/2, including a short day at White House Landing. We packed for 4 days, and had 4 more dropped for us! We carried a lot out...