PDA

View Full Version : Water??? Unicoi Gap to Fontana October 12-31 Wter???

Jordonrm13
09-17-2017, 14:04
What will water sources and temperatures look like from Unicoi Gap to Fontana Dam at the end of October 2017. I am planning my second portion of my section hike from October 21-31. I have already checked Guthooks and there is not much info for this time of year. Any help will be appreciated.

moldy
09-18-2017, 07:43
With all the rain we have had recently and the possibility of future storms you will find water at every place listed on the map and in the guide books. It will be the time of the prime Fall colors and you will have highs in the 60's and lows in the upper 30's. I would bring my 20 degree bag. Keep an eye out for storms. It will also be bear hunting season so expect to see dogs and hunters.

Venchka
09-18-2017, 09:25
Water sources will appear wet and be in a liquid form. Temperatures will be expressed in a numerical form.
There seems to be a disconnect between the dates in the title and the body of your message. Are you hiking from October 21 thru October 31? Not starting on October 12?
It might make a difference.
Check the conditions a day or two before you start. It's way too early to know for sure.
Have fun!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC13
09-18-2017, 09:40
I would keep an eye on trail conditions more then water, tons of blowdowns are reported in the GA section. One member here got off trail at Unicoi as the blowdowns were pretty bad past there.

Jordonrm13
09-18-2017, 20:35
sorry October 21 to 31.

Jordonrm13
09-18-2017, 20:39
Thank You. i'm hoping for more rain than last year! in mid October i had planned to do a section of GSM but turned back after several miles due to the dry water situation. I will be bringing my EE 20 degree top quilt and under quilt. The temps are perfect for me!!!

Venchka
09-18-2017, 23:35
Found this...

I would keep an eye on trail conditions more then water, tons of blowdowns are reported in the GA section. One member here got off trail at Unicoi as the blowdowns were pretty bad past there.
Wayne

kingairguy69
09-22-2017, 12:33
I am planning basically the same dates, but to Winding Stair Gap. I am thinking it might be time to make contingency plans. From what I am seeing the trail does not look good in GA

Don

HooKooDooKu
09-22-2017, 13:43
i'm hoping for more rain than last year! in mid October i had planned to do a section of GSM but turned back after several miles due to the dry water situation.
October is a drying time of year. Looking at the climate data for GSMNP, it looks like monthly rainfall totals for Sep, Oct, & Nov are about 30%-40% below other months of the year.

But last year was an extreme year. Conditions became so dry that for the first time I can recollect in over 20 years, GSMNP imposed a complete ban on camp fires.

This year has been a bit more along the lines of average. Because I've made several trips to GSMNP this year, I've noticed in the weather forecast that we're seeing more sunny days now than we did over the summer. But that just means this year is a bit more typical. So while there will be less water available in October compared to someone hiking the same spot in the Spring and Summer, water sources should over-all be fine. You might not be able to rely on EVERY water source, but over-all, things should be fine.

Jordonrm13
09-25-2017, 17:28
Thank you for your input. I am just a little worried from having to change and cancel my plans from last year. GSMNP is one of my favorite places. Hope you had a good time hiking this year in one of the most beautiful places ever.

Here in Ohio it is very warm and dry for this time of year.

Venchka
09-25-2017, 17:35
Keep an eye on Hurricane Maria and the North Carolina Rain Forest.
Yep. Maria is alive and well. I haven't seen a map today. Could be something. Could be nothing. Pay attention.
Wayne

Blindwolfoncasters
10-04-2017, 22:37
Me too! Same basic time, same section. 10/21 to 25, Dick's Creek Gap to Winding Stair Gap. I had plans to go the week after Irma hit. I dug out my house instead of hiking! I didn't realize it hit so bad up there too.

Tennessee Viking
10-05-2017, 09:06
Tropical system to be heading up from the Gulf and across the FL/GA/NC. Expect rain.

Venchka
10-06-2017, 19:20
Tropical system to be heading up from the Gulf and across the FL/GA/NC. Expect rain.

The nightly weather has the center of the track following the TN-NC border through the Smokies and north. Be careful. It might be damp.
Wayne

Venchka
10-08-2017, 11:40
Flash flooding and high wind for the North Carolina high country.
Be careful Y’all!
Wayne

Venchka
10-08-2017, 16:23
According to current radar, it’s raining along most, perhaps all, of the AT in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.
Wayne