PDA

View Full Version : advice for a sleeping bag

walkabout
02-04-2003, 13:03
been wondering what degree bag to start off with. i've set my date for the 15th of this month.i've been thinking maybe a 20 . Ya think i should go lower. i just don't want to freeze my ass off if it snows again. but i would also like to be comfortable.

chris
02-04-2003, 13:59
It depends on whose 20 you are thinking about.
Carrying my usual stuff, I wouldn't think twice about taking a 20 degree Western Mountaineering bag for a mid-Feb. start. Marmot is less conservative about its ratings. Mountain Hardware is reported to be very good. North Face and Kelty do not have as sterling reputations. I would take a good 20, and a liner and think about a
bivy or overbag. Or, take a bad 0. For reference, I use a 30 degree Marmot bag with a silk liner and a bivy sack for my standard winter gear. With thermals, fleece pants, and a hat, this was okay (not optimal) for Thanksgiving in the Smokys when it was 14 degrees at 4 in the afternoon.

stranger
02-06-2003, 00:48
Why use a 30 bag with a bivy and liner when you can just carry a sleeping bag that works properly? Just start with a bag that will keep you warm then switch when it's too hot...pretty simple.

chris
02-06-2003, 09:36
A bivy, a liner, and a good 30 degree bag is a lot more flexible, and cheaper, than two separate bags. However, I've had problems with the Marmot keeping its down in place. The 30 degree Marmot is being replaced as we speak with something alot nicer...

gravityman
02-06-2003, 11:44
I started with a 0 degree bag, and was too warm most of the time, but it was worth it in the smokeys (2 degrees)! I would say that if you have a down jacket and expedition weight underwear, the 20 western mountaineering Ultralight (or is it 25?) would be good. That's what I plan on using from the start this time...

You will make adjustments as you go along. My wife was carrying a -20 (!) degree bag to start, and switched to a 20 feathered friends in Franklin. This bag STUNK! Anyway, we ended up sharing my bag most of the time since it was so warm. Then we started using just my bag and sent hers home. That worked really well! Anyway, the point is, you will learn if you need a liner or not, and when you need it. Just put it in you bounce box of have someone at home that can send it to you...

Gravity Man