PDA

View Full Version : 60 miles for 60 year old woman...Shenandoah Nation Park

kbstock
09-19-2017, 07:18
Hi all....first time posting...but I've been lurking a bit. Quite a bit...

In honor of turning 60 last year, I thought it would be cool to get in shape by doing my own little "triathlon"....60 mile bike ride, 60 miles of kayaking, and then a 60 mile hike on the AT. The first two legs of this "tri" are behind me...
The hike starts on Oct. 6. WOW.... and yes, I'm a NOOB....

I've been training hard...and gearing up wisely (thanks to you folks) My base weight is 17 pounds. I'll be accompanied by a dear friend who has sectioned hiked over half the AT. We'll be camping (not a fan of any place infested with mice).... Starting at Blackrock Gap and then NOBO to Thornton Gap, spending the last night on Mary's Rock.
I've scrutinized every piece of gear...literally weighed stuff on a chef' scale...actually decided which bra, which watch,which shirt, which this or that to bring based on weight...done the whole debate thing in my head regarding weight versus comfort versus budget..... Have tried valiantly not to pack out of fear (e.g., do I REALLY need to bring 20 bandages, 60 ibuprofen, surgical gauze, 40 water proof matches etc). I've carefully estimated how much TP to bring,( took the cardboard tube out), pitched the sanitation trowel (its with the gardening stuff now, lol), took the brain off my backpack, decided I won't need a lensactic compass, my Kindle, etc etc. Seriously....I've learned SO much from this forum....

So here's my question...
October can be a challenging month to dress for here in VA. Very cool in the mornings, then warm in the afternoon. Its lovely, but its irksome. I'm wanting to pack only one pair of shorts, one pair of pants, one short sleeve and one long sleeve base layer. I have purchased a really nice Outdoor Research hooded jacket thats incredibly light and warm, and Marmot Precip rain gear. My initial thought is that I would hike in the shorts, then change into the long pants once we set up camp. Am I bringing enough clothing?

Thanks for your insights!

k

garlic08
09-19-2017, 08:28
Without seeing the jacket and base layers, it sounds like enough. You can always bail out into the sleeping bag if you get a cold campsite. Remember, it's critical to keep your insulation dry, and to keep yourself hydrated and fed. That's where experience counts more than the gear.

Consider finding long pants that are comfortable to hike in, and leave the shorts at home. Pants will protect you better from insects, poison plants, and sun, and may lead to leaving more stuff at home.

Good job re-thinking the first aid kit. A snack-sized baggie is enough for most.

PS: My birthday challenge to myself since I turned 60 will be to cycle my age on my birthday, without any special training or planning--just go out and do it. I hope to make it to 80 that way, at least. I'm curious where the break point will be.

Pringles
09-19-2017, 08:39
Good luck on your hike, and congratulations on getting the other 60's done(kayaking and biking). I'm sure someone will chime in soon with clothing opinions, I just wanted to wish you luck! It sounds like a neat goal.

Pringles

Hatchet_1697
09-19-2017, 08:47
I've hiked that section and live n VA, that time of year is tricky WX-wise. While hiking you'll be warm, the OR jacket will work well for breaks/lunch stops. Plus the rain gear is an extra layer if needed. In camp you can also use your sleeping quilt/bag to help stay warm if the temps drop or you get one of those cold wet Virginia evenings.

The most important thing is to know your body, know your gear, and know how well the two work together for the predicted WX conditions. September should give you a few similar days to test things out.

I've camped out in my VA backyard to test gear down to the low 20's, figured it was better to learn what works/doesn't work there then out in the backcountry.

Congrats on your tri, it's awesome what you're doing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MuddyWaters
09-19-2017, 08:48
Hi all....first time posting...but I've been lurking a bit. Quite a bit...

In honor of turning 60 last year, I thought it would be cool to get in shape by doing my own little "triathlon"....60 mile bike ride, 60 miles of kayaking, and then a 60 mile hike on the AT. The first two legs of this "tri" are behind me...
The hike starts on Oct. 6. WOW.... and yes, I'm a NOOB....

I've been training hard...and gearing up wisely (thanks to you folks) My base weight is 17 pounds. I'll be accompanied by a dear friend who has sectioned hiked over half the AT. We'll be camping (not a fan of any place infested with mice).... Starting at Blackrock Gap and then NOBO to Thornton Gap, spending the last night on Mary's Rock.
I've scrutinized every piece of gear...literally weighed stuff on a chef' scale...actually decided which bra, which watch,which shirt, which this or that to bring based on weight...done the whole debate thing in my head regarding weight versus comfort versus budget..... Have tried valiantly not to pack out of fear (e.g., do I REALLY need to bring 20 bandages, 60 ibuprofen, surgical gauze, 40 water proof matches etc). I've carefully estimated how much TP to bring,( took the cardboard tube out), pitched the sanitation trowel (its with the gardening stuff now, lol), took the brain off my backpack, decided I won't need a lensactic compass, my Kindle, etc etc. Seriously....I've learned SO much from this forum....

So here's my question...
October can be a challenging month to dress for here in VA. Very cool in the mornings, then warm in the afternoon. Its lovely, but its irksome. I'm wanting to pack only one pair of shorts, one pair of pants, one short sleeve and one long sleeve base layer. I have purchased a really nice Outdoor Research hooded jacket thats incredibly light and warm, and Marmot Precip rain gear. My initial thought is that I would hike in the shorts, then change into the long pants once we set up camp. Am I bringing enough clothing?

Thanks for your insights!

k
Honestly, your bringing too much.

All you need are the clothes on your back.

Anything else is extra. Thats ok, just dont fool yourself that you "need" it. Need, and want, are totally different. Learn to rigorously and honestly discern between your needs and your wants. It makes decisions clearer and easier.

Have rainpants? Then dont need long pants for evening.

It may or may not be cool enough to need base layers. Just depends. You can make that call a week out. Your going to be out a couple days. Waysides sell clothing too, and your seldom more than 100 yds from well travelled road , in peak season.
Theres no more benign place to hike than snp. Dont pack a bunch of fears, theres literally nothing that can go wrong.

Puddlefish
09-19-2017, 08:54
Sounds like you're well prepared. A bit will depend on how much of each day you spend hiking, and what time you stroll into the camp in the evening. If you wake early, and put in all your miles and arrive at camp early, you'll certainly appreciate the long pants, dry socks, and the jacket. If you wake late when it's warmed up a bit, linger for an hour at lunch in the sunshine and arrive late afternoon at dusk, you might find yourself crawling into your tent a lot sooner. (I still recommend a long stop at lunch time to air out your feet.)

Bring the clothes, better off having them, instead of having to dash into the tent and being unable to socialize because you're cold. Don't skimp on the toilet paper, it's a fun hike, not a forced march.

Have fun!

daddytwosticks
09-19-2017, 08:55
Extra clothes to change into at the end of the day are not a luxury in my opinion. When you are soaked to the skin by rain or sweat or both, spare dry clothes can be a lifesaver.

Crossup
09-19-2017, 09:11
I've no experience(leaving this saturday to get some :D) so just take this as something to consider: when confronted with the same clothing choice I decide to go with 2 pair of convertable pants. My logic is that gives me dry clothes regardless of weather for the evening(and since I'm spending a week, a way to be able to wash them) and covers the temperature change without having to actually change clothes. Add a base layer and you should be good from 40s up.

MuddyWaters
09-19-2017, 09:26
Extra clothes to change into at the end of the day are not a luxury in my opinion. When you are soaked to the skin by rain or sweat or both, spare dry clothes can be a lifesaver.
A rubber chicken can be a lifesaver in certain situations. So can a 4 season shelter.

A necessary part of hiking, is managing yourself, and avoiding situations that would require things you dont have. Doing that, precludes needing to carry them.

Besides, you always have ability to strip wet clothing and get into insulation. As such dry clothing....is merely a convenience. Thats OK. Some conveniences are nice to have, if you are willing to carry them.

My biggest convenience is bug netting. I sleep relaxed with my gear contained and crawling things excluded. Totally mental, but im willing to carry it.

ARambler
09-19-2017, 09:36
Many people have camped at Mary Rock, but I do not think it is allowed. You should research this with someone who knows, not a random ranger who says no.
I want to say something cynical about the NPS bear policy, but it is successful at putting people in danger. Make sure you are not part of the problem. Carry a bear canister or learn to hang well before your trip.

rafe
09-19-2017, 09:59
I've no experience(leaving this saturday to get some :D) so just take this as something to consider: when confronted with the same clothing choice I decide to go with 2 pair of convertable pants. My logic is that gives me dry clothes regardless of weather for the evening(and since I'm spending a week, a way to be able to wash them) and covers the temperature change without having to actually change clothes. Add a base layer and you should be good from 40s up.

This. At the very least, top-to-bottom base layer and socks that are kept clean and dry by all means, to be worn only at camp and while sleeping. These items, plus your tent and sleeping bag, are your ultimate hedge against hypothermia.

Another item I always carry these days is a wool or synthetic flannel shirt. Serves roughly the same purpose as a fleece or down jacket, but is light enough to be worn while hiking if needed, eg. early in the morning or in the late afternoon or evening when it gets chilly.

rafe
09-19-2017, 10:01
Many people have camped at Mary Rock, but I do not think it is allowed. You should research this with someone who knows, not a random ranger who says no.

There is, or used to be, a small flat spot up there, big enough for one or two small tents. Whether it's legal or not, I can't say.

John B
09-19-2017, 10:07
A rubber chicken can be a lifesaver in certain situations.... .

HA! Now that's just funny... :banana

Ms. KBStock, to your question, you'll be fine with what you have. Of course you'll check the weather channel the day before you leave, and if the forecast calls for heavy snow and high winds, then add a bit; if it's for 3-4 days of temps nearing 90, maybe carry a bit less. Enjoy!

Suzzz
09-19-2017, 10:14
After years of planning (and making excuses) I finally did my first section hike this summer. Like you, I had a milestone birthday and decided that enough was enough and that I was going to go no matter what. And like you, I learned a LOT from this forum. I spent months weighing my gear and food and making adjustements. I thought I had everything figured out, then I packed my pack. Geeeeeez! Did it ever get full fast. Once the basic necessities - food and shelter - were in there, there wasn't much space left for clothes so I had to make choices and leave a lot of stuff at home.

So here's what I brought :
The clothes on my back
Clean underwear & socks
Merino wool long sleeve top and under pants to be worn as pyjamas
Rain jacket that could be worn if it got cold
Sandals for water crossings and to be worn in camp

That might not be enough for colder weather (my hike was in the summer) but don't fall in the trap of bringing too much stuff. Maybe a fleece sweater for the daytime (you'll get warm as you walk) and depending on the rating of your sleeping bag and whether you are a cold or a warm sleeper, maybe something a little more substantial for nightime.

Have fun out there!

Slo-go'en
09-19-2017, 11:10

There are "NO CAMPING" signs posted at Mary's rock. DO NOT CAMP THERE, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !!

HooKooDooKu
09-19-2017, 11:18
...pitched the sanitation trowel...
What's your plan for digging 'cat holes'?

Berserker
09-19-2017, 12:11
Assuming you are from VA or have lived here a while you know the deal in October. It can get pretty cold or remain quite warm...you won't know until right before you go. I personally carry a whole extra change of clothes. It's heavier, but putting on clean dry stuff to hang in camp and sleep in just works so much better for me. Some folks just bring the clothes they are wearing and that may be fine for them, but in real life one sweats and it rains...it's pretty miserable sitting around in camp and going to sleep in wet clothing...been there done that. So what you are proposing sounds reasonable.

As for carrying less of the "fear related items", just remember that it's pretty easy to bail in SNP since the AT is right next to Skyline drive all the way through there. You may even want to consider driving 2 cars up there if you are going with someone else, and then you can park them so that you get to one in a day or two and move them as needed...just a thought.

If you are pitching the trowel then please bury your "stuff". I assume you intended to do that already, but if not then you need to. There are many options for lightweight trowels if you don't want to use a tent stake or whatever some of folks use. I personally use the Big Dig (titanium, weighs 0.6 oz) made by QiWiz who is on this site (no affiliation...I just really like the trowel). And note that a trowel is a far superior implement for digging a hole compared to other options...I don't care what those who say the heel of the boot, tent stake or whatever other method allegedly works, they don't work as well as a trowel. I can dig a nice deep cylindrical hole in like 20 seconds with my trowel...try doing that with a boot heel or a tent stake...those just don't work that well.

Congratulations on meeting part of your goal, and have fun with the rest of it.

kbstock
09-19-2017, 12:18
Thanks Crossup....I've considered the convertible pants but I've heard there are some out there that the zippers on the legs will rub you raw...What do you recommend?

kbstock
09-19-2017, 12:23
What's your plan for digging 'cat holes'?

I figured I'd use one of my tent stakes...they are pointed and v-shaped. Worked in the back yard....

kbstock
09-19-2017, 12:28
There are "NO CAMPING" signs posted at Mary's rock. DO NOT CAMP THERE, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !!

Byrd's Nest Shelter......

HooKooDooKu
09-19-2017, 12:43
I figured I'd use one of my tent stakes...they are pointed and v-shaped. Worked in the back yard....
Cool... as long as you've got a plan. Too many times when the subject comes up, someone invariable claims to "just use the heal of my boot", which in most places means they are NOT digging a proper 6" hole. One thing to keep in mind is that you might find the woods to be very different than your back yard. I know that in the Smokies where I frequent, there's almost no where you can't start digging without running into a mess of roots you have to find a way to cut through. More than once I've had to abandon one dig and try again somewhere else.

If you've only just collected all your gear, I would strongly suggest a weekend camp trip... one or two nights... just as a quick shakedown to help judge if you've got all the right equipment before you jump right in with a 60 trip.

illabelle
09-19-2017, 12:56
Thanks Crossup....I've considered the convertible pants but I've heard there are some out there that the zippers on the legs will rub you raw...What do you recommend?

I have two pair of convertibles, and won't wear them for that very reason.

As you may have figured out by now, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Clothing needs will be different depending on age, gender, body fat, equipment, and experience level. A very experienced hiker may be able to walk along the edge of the hypothermia cliff. A newby shouldn't go near it.

I am headed to central Virginia in mid-October, and again in late November. Both are 3-day trips. Unless the forecast dictates otherwise, I expect to hike in shorts and a short-sleeved shirt. I might carry a second shirt because it's not heavy, and I hate putting on a wet shirt in the morning - even though I know the shirt will be saturated in sweat before long.
For bed I change into clean dry underwear, long johns, and a long-sleeved shirt. I'm usually a cold sleeper, so I'll bring my down jacket and fleece vest into the bag with me, using them like small blankets.

PGH1NC
09-19-2017, 14:11
Good advice here. I turned 75 on a mostly "thru" in SNP.
Though not clothes related, I suggest a set of trekking poles.
With rocks and hills they were an immense help in propelling up hills
and steadying myself on rocks and easing down hills and rocks, preserves knees.

You have someone to hike with. Have a great time.

kbstock
09-19-2017, 14:17

Byrd's Nest Shelter......

NJdreamer
09-19-2017, 15:26
I am not sure about the weight of the clothes you suggested. Typically for section hikes, you can monitor the weather and change clothes in or out depending on the forecast temperature. There are links available with the GPS of the shelter areas, to use to check the weather. (See the shelter forum on this website for the list.) As others have said, use your raincoat to keep you warm at night, AND have a complete lightweight dry set of clothes for camp. You may not need anything else (you can put the damp clothes back on top of the dry ones if it gets really cold). Change into it at night, so you are dry, and not sweaty, even if you don't feel it. This will help keep you warm. In the morning, change into the wet smelly clothes again. One more note, for the weight and use, I never hike anymore without a compass. I once took a blue trail off the AT and was lost in the woods for 2 1/2 hours. Since then, I improved my map reading and compass skills. Yes, the AT is fairly clear, especially in SNP, but for what it is worth, that is my opinion. Your plan sounds wonderful. SNP is the easiest terrain I have hiked on the AT, with its fair share of elevation changes. Have great time.

Deacon
09-19-2017, 16:21
Cool... as long as you've got a plan. Too many times when the subject comes up, someone invariable claims to "just use the heal of my boot", which in most places means they are NOT digging a proper 6" hole. One thing to keep in mind is that you might find the woods to be very different than your back yard. I know that in the Smokies where I frequent, there's almost no where you can't start digging without running into a mess of roots you have to find a way to cut through. More than once I've had to abandon one dig and try again somewhere else.

If you've only just collected all your gear, I would strongly suggest a weekend camp trip... one or two nights... just as a quick shakedown to help judge if you've got all the right equipment before you jump right in with a 60 trip.

Exactly right. I found no place on the AT where I didn't have to dig through roots and rocks. Definitely need a sharp titanium shovel. A couple have been mentioned on Whiteblaze. I have Qiwiz's Big Dig.

Stone1984
09-19-2017, 16:30
Coming from someone who just did 7 days when it was colder in the mornings, I would make sure you have spare socks. Putting on dry socks is an amazing feeling. I was not prepared as I thought for the rain and found out I didn't like my pancho. Make sure you like what your taking ahead of time, I never tried the pancho because I knew I would only have it at camp and at breaks. But even for that it was annoying

kestral
09-20-2017, 18:50

I like exofficio zip pants. Mine are about 10 years old, comfy and practical, and not shorty shorts when legs are zipped off. Light colors are good for spotting ticks and burrs, dark colors are good for hiding dirt. Whatever fits well is the right pant for you, keep on the loose side. Enjoy your trip!

MuddyWaters
09-20-2017, 19:55
Exactly right. I found no place on the AT where I didn't have to dig through roots and rocks. Definitely need a sharp titanium shovel. A couple have been mentioned on Whiteblaze. I have Qiwiz's Big Dig.
Ditto.
But just as often, its so rocky just below an inch of dirt its impossible to dig ...with even a sharp trowel.

site selection is the key. I look under bushes, where organic matter is thick and deep. open areas without plants...are likely open for a reason. Rocks under a thin dirt veneer. Nothing grows.

Skyline
09-20-2017, 21:06

True. Not right at Marys Rock. Should be able to camp somewhere legally south of there. If necessary, the previous shelter area which features a few tentsites.

Skyline
09-20-2017, 21:13
Assuming you are from VA or have lived here a while you know the deal in October. It can get pretty cold or remain quite warm...you won't know until right before you go. I personally carry a whole extra change of clothes. It's heavier, but putting on clean dry stuff to hang in camp and sleep in just works so much better for me. Some folks just bring the clothes they are wearing and that may be fine for them, but in real life one sweats and it rains...it's pretty miserable sitting around in camp and going to sleep in wet clothing...been there done that. So what you are proposing sounds reasonable.

As for carrying less of the "fear related items", just remember that it's pretty easy to bail in SNP since the AT is right next to Skyline drive all the way through there. You may even want to consider driving 2 cars up there if you are going with someone else, and then you can park them so that you get to one in a day or two and move them as needed...just a thought.
If you are pitching the trowel then please bury your "stuff". I assume you intended to do that already, but if not then you need to. There are many options for lightweight trowels if you don't want to use a tent stake or whatever some of folks use. I personally use the Big Dig (titanium, weighs 0.6 oz) made by QiWiz who is on this site (no affiliation...I just really like the trowel). And note that a trowel is a far superior implement for digging a hole compared to other options...I don't care what those who say the heel of the boot, tent stake or whatever other method allegedly works, they don't work as well as a trowel. I can dig a nice deep cylindrical hole in like 20 seconds with my trowel...try doing that with a boot heel or a tent stake...those just don't work that well.
Congratulations on meeting part of your goal, and have fun with the rest of it.

Agree, Both April and October are big question marks in SNP, weather-wise. Could be wintry, could be summery. Most likely somewhere in between with a real possibility of night temps below 40 and some rain mixed in.

Hatchet_1697
09-20-2017, 21:59
SNP backcountry camping rules, if in doubt, call them.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Longboysfan
09-21-2017, 15:33
They do make pants that the legs zip off and you have just the shorts.