PDA

View Full Version : Best exit point around NC border.

jmrandall85
09-19-2017, 09:36
Hello, All: A friend and i are planning a section hike from springer mountain to the border of NC (give or take). Im leaving my car in Amicalola Falls, so i just need to know the best place in that general area (ND border) to exit with the best availability of shuttles/taxi/volunteers, as i am not familiar with the area, and having a hard time finding info on the matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Stone1984
09-19-2017, 09:45
I had planned on getting out 6 miles past the border (Deep Gap) when I went last week. There is a road there you can get a shuttle from. Of course the trail was to messed up for me to continue so I had to get off at Unicoi Gap.

peakbagger
09-19-2017, 09:47
Deep Gap is the first drivable road north of the NC/Georgia order (unless there was Hurricane Damage to this road) . Several shuttle firms appear to use this spot for pick ups and drop off. It is a bit remote. If you want more secure parking there is 4 mile blue blaze trail along Kinsey Creek to Standing Indian Campground which has far more traffic.

JC13
09-19-2017, 09:53
Your other options are:
Dicks Creek Gap, mile 69.3, 8.9 miles shy of the border.
Rock Gap, mile 105.7, FS road.
Winding Stair Gap, mile 109.5.

jmrandall85
09-19-2017, 10:09
Thanks folks! Very helpful! Do you have to summon the shuttles, or are they waiting for fares?

peakbagger
09-19-2017, 11:14
You need to arrange shuttles in advance. Generally you should hike back to your car, I.E. meet the shuttle driver where you intend to end your hike and then have them drive you back to where you plan to start. Here is a link to some shuttlers and services http://appalachiantrailservices.net/. ATC maintains a list of shuttlers on their website. I havent used their services and cant vouch for any firm on the links. Ron Brown in Franklin has many hiker services and a long term reputation on the AT, note he is business and lays out his policies on his webpage http://ronhavenhikerservices.com/.

Venchka
09-19-2017, 13:12
Remember the hurricane? You may want to shift your hike further north.
The folks at Mountain Harbor B&B on US 19E will let you park in their lot and shuttle you south.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmrandall85
09-19-2017, 18:43
Thank you for the links peakbagger. Our section hike will take place the week of the 22nd of October....do you think the hurricane will still have affected that area a month from now?

Venchka
09-19-2017, 18:57
Thank you for the links peakbagger. Our section hike will take place the week of the 22nd of October....do you think the hurricane will still have affected that area a month from now?

It might be clear in a month. Or a year.
"It ain't over 'till it's over." Yogi
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrien
10-10-2017, 08:06
I am doing that same thing in 2018 March 31st/April 1st start date.