PDA

View Full Version : Vango/Abby Memorial Hostel

Hikes in Rain
09-19-2017, 15:13
My wife and I are going on a "camp-er-ing" trip to the Erwin/Unicoi area next month, so I can continue my section hiking. (She doesn't hike, but likes to be up there with me while I do. I, in turn, get to hike and come back to king sized beds and steak dinners!:sun) My next section is from 19E to Dennis Cove Road, and Abby's Place is about as close to the middle of it as anyone could ask. My thought is to start at the hostel end of the blue blazed trail and hike up to the AT, then turn either north or south and hike to 19E and Dennis Cove. (Start at the hostel twice, in other words.)

I did some searching, and while there are several threads on finding the hostel from the AT, I can't find anything on the other way around, which does make sense. Is the trail reasonably well marked? Does it end up at the hotel, or intersect Phil Arnett Road somewhere? If it's on the hostel property, do you think the owner would mind if I crossed it a couple of times to access the trailhead?

I do have an email and phone call in to ask those same questions, but haven't heard back yet. Just covering my bases before we head up, gathering what info I can.

Thanks!

Puddlefish
09-19-2017, 15:29
The trail goes directly from the AT onto the hostel property. I'd certainly ask for his permission, as you've done. If he doesn't answer, I wouldn't presume to cross his property.

doeriverhikerrest
09-19-2017, 15:33
[email protected]
Well we don't have a king size bed, but we have a queen size bed with a private room right here in Roan Mountain. Your wife is welcome to hang out with us on the farm while you hike and we can get some nice grass fed steaks for dinners. I can shuttle you up to the 293 access road, or the walnut mountain road. The 19E trailhead is free. Shuttles are also available to Carvers Gap and beyond or the other direction to Dennis Cove or Watagwa Lake. We are a working hobby farm with Goats, chickens, horses, dogs, aquaponics etc. Here is the page http://www.facebook.com/doeriverhikerrest and feel free to give me a call at 575-694-0734. We also have Kickit on staff he has 3000 miles under his belt and can give pack advice and trail advice as well.
David

doeriverhikerrest
09-19-2017, 15:34
His property buts up to the Cherokee national forest so you wouldn't need permission to walk up to it.

Hikes in Rain
09-19-2017, 16:36
Doeriverhierrest, wow, your place looks and sounds wonderful. You certainly got my attention with the grass fed steaks! We have an RV, and have already made reservations for campsites, however. We might drop by anyway, though. Noticed you have T-shirts. About half my wardrobe these days consists of souvenir T-shirts!

Puddlefish, I was sort of expecting that to be the case. Forest service abutment or not, I'd be hesitant arriving at the crack of dark and just strolling onto someone's land. As a licensed professional engineer, I can't be sued for trespassing in the line of my duties (at least here in Florida). But I can be shot!

doeriverhikerrest
09-19-2017, 22:02
You are welcome to stop over and visit the goats, see the aquaponics etc. Let me know if I can help in any way.
David

Hikes in Rain
10-02-2017, 15:43
I'm also considering having my wife drop me off at the road crossings at 19E and Dennis Cove Road, and hiking to Abby's. Is the blue blazed trail to it pretty well marked? ATtrolls excellent guide indicates it starts at the handrailed footbridge crossing Upper Laurel Fork, about half a mile trail north past the memorial bridge.

I could just see me missing it somewhere around sunset! :eek:

SteelCut
10-02-2017, 15:54
It's always been well marked and obvious when I've gone through there. It's actually half a mile north past the memorial BENCH.

Hikes in Rain
10-02-2017, 18:35
Darned autocorrect! Thank you, Steelcut, just what I needed.

Hikes in Rain
10-29-2017, 12:56
Update. Scottie didn't get back to me, but I did meet him when I scouted the trail. Found out why no communication; the poor fella's running himself ragged taking care of his out of state father. The hostel is closed for the time being, but after introductions and discussion, he was fine with me using the blue blazed trail. As doeriverhikerrest mentioned, from the concrete barrier up to the bridge over Upper Laurel Fork, it's all forest service land, but I did feel better with the owner knowing me and my schedule. Thanks, Scottie!

Trail is indeed obvious from the bridge, and mostly in good shape. There is a sign up there announcing the closure. I do hope things settle down for them so they can open again.