PDA

View Full Version : Good places to visit on the Colorado trail

JulianM
09-20-2017, 02:39
Hello!
I am planing to do a tour through the Colorado trail for the first time. Wanted to take me the time of 2 or 3 Months for it and I am now looking for the most interesting places on this trail which I shouldn't miss.
Hoping on a lot of hints.

regards Julian

MuddyWaters
09-20-2017, 04:29
Hello!
I am planing to do a tour through the Colorado trail for the first time. Wanted to take me the time of 2 or 3 Months for it and I am now looking for the most interesting places on this trail which I shouldn't miss.
Hoping on a lot of hints.

regards Julian
I dont know how you could possibly stretch it that long. Its a 4 week hike. Slowest of slow...6-7 weeks.
You could hit every town for a few days, see local touristy stuff. Still wont take nearly that long. Transportation is issue is somewhat in small towns too. But if you hang around hostels for a few days im sure youll manage it.

A few things to see in colorado, getting to them from the ct not so ez. Make a list of co attractions you are interested in, see if really thgat much. Your Getting the scenery already for most part. How many gold mines you want to tour? One. How much rafting you want....probably one. How many 14ers? Maybe a couple. See royal gorge? Mesa verde? black canyon of Gunnison? Ghost towns? ., Fly fishing, etc.

By definition youll see everything on the trail. Theres some great places. The problem is.....they are above treeline..and things tend to get nasty above treeline ...every day. Like clockwork. Its not same as sierra where you stay up there in benign conditions for weeks. So, very few dilly-dally, they just keep moving.

Venchka
09-20-2017, 07:16
A bit of first hand intel on Leadville, CO.
Belle of Colorado CG. Forest Service tent only campground at the exit of the Tourquoise Lake recreation area.
Hitch to the Safeway in Leadville. The locals know the short way.
The Safeway is resupply central in Leadville.
There is a laundromat and showers a half block from Safeway. It's on a back street behind the Ski-Doo shop on the corner opposite Safeway. There's an abandoned bowling alley across the street from the laundromat.
Casa Blanca Mexican Restaurant on the south end of town is awesome.
Casa Blanca
118 E 2nd St, Leadville, CO 80461
Have fun.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
09-20-2017, 07:19
Mountain Laundry
https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&entry=s&sa=X&ftid=0x876a9118d041cbfd:0x3992984e841491&gmm=CgIgAQ%3D%3D
1707 N Poplar St, Leadville, CO 80461
Wayne

Slo-go'en
09-20-2017, 12:05
It shouldn't take more then 4-5 weeks to hike the CT. You could rent a car before or after the hike and tour around the state to use up the rest of your time.

garlic08
09-20-2017, 15:30
In my opinion, two of best places to visit in Colorado are at the termini of the CT--Denver and Durango.

We've hosted quite a few Europeans on CT hikes and on XC bike trips. One common denominator is that they all enjoy US major league sports more than I do. With four major league teams, Denver's a good place for sports fans of the world. Add excellent museums and concerts (Red Rocks Ampitheater--need I say more?), a vibrant microbrew climate, nearby Boulder...there's a lot to do here. Durango is a fun place to hang out for a while too.

A recent Austrian CT hiker we hosted felt rushed through both Denver and Durango, with less than two weeks in Denver and one in Durango.

Venchka
09-20-2017, 17:50
Hanging out in Denver or Durango won't acclimate you to tree line hiking.
If you have that much time, expand your horizons.
The most interesting places to visit in that time frame are Wyoming and New Mexico. The Continental Divide Trail connects all 3 states. The CDT & CT are concurrent for much of the way through Colorado.
A one way car rental north from Denver will put you in Wyoming or Durango in a day. The Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale, WY can arrange a shuttle to Elkhart Park TH and the CDT in the Wind River Range.
If you have 2-3 months to spend in the Rockies, don't miss the good bits.
Wayne