PDA

View Full Version : survivor:appalachian trail

mweinstone
02-04-2006, 23:30
take some people,throw em into a thru hike,winner gets money. sound good? can a survivor be made about the AT? i not only think so but i think we could lay out the details here on white blaze and sell the idea to the networks. weird idea? wanna try? how bout it becomes a hit and we give the money to the trail to do some big improvment.like,.....i know,...talking blazes.

timhines
02-04-2006, 23:53
you know i've had this idea that would make a lot of money. Basically you just setup your own survivor game. Instead of lasting a month you make it 2 weeks or so. Advertise to big companies as "team building' or somethign dumb like that.

You would have to turn people away it would be so popular.

mweinstone
02-05-2006, 00:14
and survivor 48. it would be a two day version.seriously the AT is an untapped filming heaven.of course i dont want it to be used too much. how bout a two hour film that actually was a sped up time elapse movie of the trail wizzing by?

Mouse
02-05-2006, 00:19
We joked about that during my thruhike, and thought up appropriate tasks to assign the contestants:

Yogi food successfully
Pitch tent in heavy downpour
etc. etc.

mweinstone
02-05-2006, 00:29
they would be proficient in all the thru trades by the end. including knocking on doors for things like hose water. mmmmmmmmmmmm,...hose flavored bevrages.

wyclif
02-05-2006, 00:35
First, for it to be really interesting the game would have to be filmed around thru-hiking the whole trail, no blue-blazing. Blue-blazing would not be ruled out, just frowned upon by other contestants and possibly becoming a cause to vote you off if you don't play the game well in the first place. Interesting possibilites for "alliances" there: if your partner knows you've blue-blazed they could rat you out to the other contestants.

Second, they should begin with an even number of players/hikers and divide them into teams of two. There is no rule that you have to walk as a team or even remain a team, it's purely a small alliance agreed on by the two hikers after the start of the hike. Interestingly, some hikers wind up walking with another hiker from another team. Some groups of three hikers form; some larger. Some hikers choose to hike alone for reasons of speed. All with entertaining results.

Third, no professional hikers in the game. The rule might be nobody who has ever walked a single mile of the trail before. Trust me, it will make the game MUCH more fun :)

One problem: how to do "challenges" in the traditional Survivor sense if everybody is on different parts of the trail. I would suggest having the challenges be survival-based, outdoorsmanship-based, or town-based (seeing some rich society girl hiking the AT and learning to hitchhike might be funny). The only way to do this is for players to complete challenges in small teams or alone at different places on the trail.

Just some ideas...I think this idea has legs. :jump

It would be interesting to see if the breakdown in teams would eventually become purists vs. blue blazers, lightweighters vs. heavyweighters, tarpers vs. hammockers, cooked food vs. raw...etc.

mweinstone
02-05-2006, 00:50
who is the host or guide dude or whatever you call the annoying guy. how bout the same guy that does the other survivors? or should we pick a new host?

freefall
02-05-2006, 00:59
who is the host or guide dude or whatever you call the annoying guy. how bout the same guy that does the other survivors? or should we pick a new host?

Would have to be a member of WB and/or ALDHA.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2006, 01:10
The AT ain't tough enuf. At least for "regular" thru-hikers.

timhines
02-05-2006, 01:10
I hate to change the subject, but I can't help but thinking of "Wanted: Ted or Alive." You know, the reality show that Ted Nuget does on the OLN channel.

freefall
02-05-2006, 01:21
The AT ain't tough enuf. At least for "regular" thru-hikers.

Ok, season two can be the "pro" series. Instead of hiking the AT, the "regular" thru-hikers have to bushwhack from GA to ME with nothing but a compass to guide them and not set foot on the actual trail.

wyclif
02-05-2006, 01:27
who is the host or guide dude or whatever you call the annoying guy.

One WB member came immediately to mind. But I won't mention his name, because I'm fairly certain he's not the same name that came to other's minds. And that could start another flamefest. :D

freefall
02-05-2006, 01:31
One WB member came immediately to mind. But I won't mention his name, because I'm fairly certain he's not the same name that came to other's minds. And that could start another flamefest. :D

I assume you weren't thinking of L. Wolf or Jack.(my 1st choices):-?, who could it be.....

Footslogger
02-05-2006, 13:20
Something more like "The Amazing Race" might work better on the AT than "Survivor" (IMHO). There could be clues along the way and any variety of blazing color (white, blue, yellow etc.) would be allowed. Who ever got all the clues and reached the destination first would be the winner.

Just a thought ...

'Slogger

expenditioner
02-05-2006, 13:41
I love the idea..Wonder why it was not thought of before.

mweinstone
02-05-2006, 16:59
amount i now care about survivor AT : .00000000000001 care molicules.this is not a drill . this is an actuall thru hiker launch alert.matthewski ckecks out.

Topcat
02-05-2006, 17:14
Someone asked about challenges, but the AT is already full of them:

the Half gallon ice cream challenge
the gallon of milk challenge
the 4 state challenge

There are more traditions that could be adapted to a show and it could really be cool. 100 miles a week would be 20 episodes, almost perfect for a season.

Drawback? Survivor is always in the tropics for one reason, people take their clothes off there, other than naked hiking day, could be a problem.

Zzzzdyd
02-05-2006, 17:43
Matthew. Choose as many of these as you need to pretty please forget this
idea !!

take some people,throw em into a thru hike,winner gets money. sound good? can a survivor be made about the AT? i not only think so but i think we could lay out the details here on white blaze and sell the idea to the networks. weird idea? wanna try? how bout it becomes a hit and we give the money to the trail to do some big improvment.like,.....i know,...talking blazes.

Take several downers, run around the block naked, check your gear for the
1000th time, go set your tent up in the good looking babes front yard and
have a party, write a 50,000 word essay on Hypothermia, do 5 food drops
for me, find room in your pack for the food, get a buzz cut, take a cold
shower, get directions to Springer 14 times, dance all night with your
sweetie in a dark living room, weigh all your gear piece by piece on digital
postal scales at least 21 times, call a 1-900 hot babes number and take
matters in hand, call your ride for the umpteenth time to make sure
everything is GO, etc, etc, etc....

I will look for you this coming Friday !! Just look for the good looking dude
with the super cool orange Golite hat on !!

Man I am HYPED too !!!

Have a great hike Matthew !! :>))) :sun

mweinstone
02-05-2006, 18:20
isnt it better than crack?this is like a crack smoothie. its a crack attack.im so high on springer fever antidote ,im,............really high on springer fever antidote.heres how it feels for any newbees in the audience. first,.cleaning the bathroom is so fun. knowing you wont be cleaning it for a while. then,...looking at your loaded pack ,..you stare into each others eyes for the first time ,...knowing the moment has arrived.its almost time to make out with my pack.and everything is the last time. goodby pizza place on sunday,...goodnight moon,...see ya later bike riding,....so long ,...city shopping,....goodby cvs,..goodnite wawa,....have fun while im gone,..fruit store.

The Cheat
02-05-2006, 18:24
isnt it better than crack?this is like a crack smoothie. its a crack attack.im so high on springer fever antidote ,im,............really high on springer fever antidote.heres how it feels for any newbees in the audience. first,.cleaning the bathroom is so fun. knowing you wont be cleaning it for a while. then,...looking at your loaded pack ,..you stare into each others eyes for the first time ,...knowing the moment has arrived.its almost time to make out with my pack.and everything is the last time. goodby pizza place on sunday,...goodnight moon,...see ya later bike riding,....so long ,...city shopping,....goodby cvs,..goodnite wawa,....have fun while im gone,..fruit store.

Hope to see you in NY when you get here. Probably won't understand a word you're saying, but be glad to meet ya. :) :) :) Good luck!!!!!:) :)

CaptChaos
02-05-2006, 23:25
Well, I think that it would be a great idea and I would love to give it a try myself.

Interesting side note:

Here in Bowling Green, KY there was a small company that did or maybe they still do, team building seminars in the outdoors. I think it is called Gaspar something. It is close to the Gaspar river here around the Warren/Butler County line.

A company that I worked for was going to have team building seminars for everyone in management. I was excited about it as I was ready to do it in the outdoors. I was a Boy Scout and I had already done some backpacking on the AT so I was ready. My turn never came as a Vice President was made to look like an ass when trying to cross a rope bridge that they had built and he freaked over the small reiver there. He left in a huff and canceled it for everyone else. I found it interesting as he always hide in his office and was never available to deal with anyone. Guess that is what happened when he tried the team building seminar

mweinstone
02-06-2006, 18:26
and yeah,...im pretty weird,............harmless,nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but weird.