PDA

View Full Version : When you're not on the trail

hikerjohnd
02-05-2006, 00:22
So I'm working on my thesis here now - and in chapter 1, I mention that AT hikers come form all walks of life. Apparently that just isn't good enough for my professors. So - Long Distance Hikers (anyone who has hiked the AT with at least 1 resupply) - what do you do when you are not hiking? Nothing too specific - just a general idea of how you spend your time between hikes. Thanks for the help!

awol
02-05-2006, 00:35
electrician (full time scum-bag construction in the ATL):banana

swift
02-05-2006, 01:10
working, eating, sleeping, plotting...

Shutterbug
02-05-2006, 03:01
just a general idea of how you spend your time between hikes. Thanks for the help!

Just a general idea: check my "Been There -- Done That" list --

http://www.davemcclung.com/donethat.html

hikerjohnd
02-05-2006, 10:06

Impressive - What's next???? Have you written any books? With that list, there must be some amazing stories...

Mouse
02-05-2006, 10:20
Sail a tall ship!

Pennsylvania Rose
02-05-2006, 10:27
I'm a high school biology teacher and mom.

Sly
02-05-2006, 10:47
When I'm not hiking I'm thinking about hiking. Miles equal smiles and a few grunts.

mdionne
02-05-2006, 10:52
biologist. i've always wondered what the repeaters do for a living. i would find it difficult to hike one season, work 6 or 7 months and then hike again and still be able to afford housing and bills, etc. baltimore? LW? neen? sqeaky? if you don't mind me asking, how do you do it?:o

Hikes in Rain
02-05-2006, 10:56
Engineer, currently running both the Surface Water Bureau and Engineering section for one of Florida's water management districts. I'd find it impossible (with my current view of the world) to drop everything for a thru-hike (darn it!), so I'm section hiking. Perhaps upon retirement....

Deerleg
02-05-2006, 13:08
A 2 mile hike almost every day after work, with my lovely bride of 25 years, in the woods of our local metro park.

Footslogger
02-05-2006, 13:11
I work and time travel ...both about my previous thru and the hike(s) we have planned for the future. Not a day goes by (seriously) when I don't have at least one conscious thought about backpacking.

'Slogger

The Hog
02-05-2006, 13:18
DVD producer, formerly microbiologist, TV news cameraman, cytotechnologist, serologist, delivery driver, etc.

4whim
02-05-2006, 13:54
Am a Detective currently assigned to working Fraud/Criminal Impersonation most of which is driven by the meth tweakers.

for fun,,,currently recovering from ankle/foot reconstruction but am big on the mountain bike scene (trips to Moab several times a year), swimming and cycling. looking at talking some 14ers this summer (now if I can only find one boot to fit my now much bigger foot,,,,,)

Skidsteer
02-05-2006, 14:05
Senior construction manager for a company that builds the hated cell phone towers.;) Before that, I owned and ran a swimming pool installation company for @ 15 years.

hikerjohnd
02-05-2006, 14:16
Senior construction manager for a company that builds the hated cell phone towers.;)

There is a cell tower near my parents house that looks like a tree - I'll take a pic next time I'm in the neighborhood - but was wondering if you build those as well???

Skidsteer
02-05-2006, 14:32
There is a cell tower near my parents house that looks like a tree - I'll take a pic next time I'm in the neighborhood - but was wondering if you build those as well???

Sure, they're called monopines. We have also built towers that double as flag poles. I prefer the flag poles myself. The monopines are a pain to build and really don't look much like trees unless you're a mile away.

Shutterbug
02-05-2006, 16:05
Impressive - What's next????

Next is a Safari. I am going to Kenya, Zambia, and the Republic of the Congo.

Shutterbug
02-05-2006, 16:06
Sail a tall ship!

That is a good suggestion, but I have a problem. I get sea sick!!

Almost There
02-05-2006, 16:13
High School Social Studies Teacher, football coach, wrestling coach, and an obediant husband!:D

Skidsteer
02-05-2006, 16:35
High School Social Studies Teacher, football coach, wrestling coach, and an obediant husband!:D

Your wife is sitting right beside you isn't she? :D

mikecordes
02-05-2006, 17:04
College biology professor and avid bicyclist

jackiebolen
02-05-2006, 21:46
Grad School Student

attroll
02-05-2006, 22:33
When I am not working for International Paper I am on WhiteBlaze.

Mouse
02-05-2006, 22:46
That is a good suggestion, but I have a problem. I get sea sick!!

You'd fit right in! On one passage half our crew was seasick.:jump

AbeHikes
02-06-2006, 00:28

Huh. Very interesting.

I've a shorter, more visual one like that. I need to add more text like yours.

http://geocities.com/davidachastain/david_usmc.htm

the goat
02-06-2006, 00:34
saving for the next hike.

Heater
02-06-2006, 02:55
When I'm not hiking I'm thinking about hiking. Miles equal smiles and a few grunts.

The caption in your avatar is too small to read. Does it say "keep on truckin"?

:)

Wonder
02-06-2006, 02:59
I smile and sling booze.....aka..waitress.

Downunda
02-06-2006, 06:04
I'm retired. I mostly travel in my RV for much of the year.

minnesotasmith
02-06-2006, 08:54
So I'm working on my thesis here now - and in chapter 1, I mention that AT hikers come form all walks of life. Apparently that just isn't good enough for my professors. So - Long Distance Hikers (anyone who has hiked the AT with at least 1 resupply) - what do you do when you are not hiking? Nothing too specific - just a general idea of how you spend your time between hikes. Thanks for the help!

Geologist, serious-book reader, Internet surfer, 2-3 hours/day offroad walker, karate student, swimmer, historically keep ultratame cage birds (cockatiels) and/or nonfoofoo outside dogs, social critic, date, travel, go to science or military museums, milsim/FRPG games, cook healthy food, maintain parent's yard when visit them (applied 500 pounds of 3 different types of chemicals to their yard in last 3 days), do rough carpentry, etc., etc.

ZEKE #2
02-06-2006, 09:29
Wife, mother, grandmother, sister, daughter, Accountant, Safety Coordinator, friend

Kerosene
02-06-2006, 09:35
My job as a chief technology officer for a rapidly growing $500 million healthcare information company keeps me busy travelling throughout the U.S. I play competitive soccer to keep in shape (when my aging body lets me), work out, and plan for when I can get back east again to do another section of the AT.

squirrel bait
02-06-2006, 10:30
Flop two
mystery in the alley
whiskey down
draw one in the dark
crowd of lifepreservers
let it walk
Short order breakfast cook on a pier April thru November. Wherever my feet take me during the five month off season.

nerdishgrrl
02-06-2006, 10:36

#32. Best Place Ever.

I've lived in Williamsburg alll my life, and I love that you put it on a list of things that includes stuff that seems so much more exciting. I mean, mining coal in Borneo seems like it would completely overshadow old Williamsburg.

TN_Hiker
02-06-2006, 10:48
Sr. technical analyst for international laboratory company, husband, father, and Scout leader

Turtle2
02-06-2006, 11:04
Realtor, former jeweler and watchmaker

LIhikers
02-06-2006, 11:16
Aircraft mechanic, husband of one, father of two. I like to read, day hike, bicycle, build and fly model airplanes, and keep our 1971 VW bus running. I'm also a trail maintaineer for a section of local trail. I HATE gardening and yard work!!!!!!!! My motto at home is "if it's green and grows then cut it with the mower".

Mags
02-06-2006, 13:11
To pay the bills, been working as a computer tech. Kinda fell into this job. Like many Gen Xers, tinkered with computers as a socially inept twelve year old. :)
(Now, I a not-so-socially inept 31 year old. No braces or "bowl-head hair cut" Alas..less hair to cut then when I was 12, too. ;) ).

So for the past 8 years or so, been working in the IT field in one way or another. History is my background and first passion, though. As such, no interest in further myself in this career (turned down a job offer in Portland making more $$$ because I love Colorado too much!)

Hope to make a career change within 5 years. What that could be? No idea. But, life is too short to work in a field I "fell into".

So, that's what I do to make money. Tinker with computer while planning my next trip. Hope to change that within five years.

Tha Wookie
02-06-2006, 13:26
-recreation ecologist specializing in natural resource monitoring, usually soil loss.

between research contracts, I: sell photographs, write, do carpentry, build stone hardscape structures, and anything else I can do to stay above the poverty level

Lion King
02-06-2006, 13:38
Im a writer, filmmaker, songwriter, singer who if he isnt hiking would rather be creating.

Red Hat
02-06-2006, 13:44
I'm a retired schoolteacher. When I'm not hiking I'm taking care of my husband, cooking, cleaning, or spending time on Whiteblaze.

Smooth
02-06-2006, 13:47
Bum, Builder, Bum, Electrician, Bum, Investor, Bum. Not in that order, but all at the same time.

In my 'spare' time I make sure you do not have any complaints while walking through my trail sections. Also I camp, hike, fish, take pictures, backpack, read, walk, and hang out in the woods.

Blister
02-06-2006, 14:09
Jobs that I have had since my first long distance hike

waitress
bartender
housekeeper
restaraunt manager
executive chef
hotel manager
retail store manager
writer
caterer
volunteer with various non profit groups

anything that will pay the bills from the last hike and prep me for the next

Nean
02-06-2006, 14:21
When I'm not hiking (btw, you can go for a 10 mile walk and resupply along the way) I: live on the trail and help hikers, maintain a section of trail near my cabins, work at 2 outfitters on the trail

Stoker53
02-06-2006, 15:11
I work in Production Control for a company that makes computers.

Mags
02-06-2006, 16:26
When I'm not hiking (btw, you can go for a 10 mile walk and resupply along the way)

When I hike or run locally, I try to make the route end at a grocery store (or wherever I need to pick up items). Get my exercise, get my errands done.

Love walking through the grocery store all sweaty. :)

Shutterbug
02-06-2006, 16:37
Huh. Very interesting.

I've a shorter, more visual one like that. I need to add more text like yours.

http://geocities.com/davidachastain/david_usmc.htm

I plan to go back and add links from most of the items to photos.

ed bell
02-06-2006, 17:46
I install residential/commercial irrigation. 15 years. Love the outdoor work. I am so used to it that I can generally guess the current time to within 10 min on a sunny day.:sun

Lump76
02-06-2006, 18:43
My hobbies include playing guitar, writing, fishing and competitive soccer. To pay the bills, I'm a graphic designer. And I'm dating a middle-school teacher.

My dream is to start my own design firm in the next few years so I can take a month or two off each summer to section hike the AT with my girlfriend (hopefully soon-to-be wife) during her break from school. I'll be taking her on her first AT hiking trip this June... and I'm praying and keeping my fingers' crossed that we'll have good weather. I think her experience this first time out may dictate whether she loves or hates the trail. If she ends up hating it, I may adjust my plans and attempt a thru-hike in the next few years instead.

drsukie
02-06-2006, 18:59
Chiropractor, part-time instructor at massage school (basic sciences), eternal renovator.

Avid reader of political stuff and mostly non-fiction, TiVo junkie for a few essentials of life. Mother of four furkids; two dogs and two cats.

Love to day-hike around the Hooch in Atlanta or ride my bike on the Silver Comet Rail Trail as long and as far as I can.

Travel junkie. :sun Sue

gravityman
02-06-2006, 19:09
On the first attempt, I had just finished my Ph.D. in Gravitation Physics. Made it 1/2 way with my wife, then went to work in Colorado as a Optical Engineer in a Aerospace firm. Sucessfully did a complete thru in 2005 and came back to the same company, as they gave me a leave of absence.

My wife had just graduated with a double major in Finance and Pyschology on the first attempt, and found work as a Financial Analyst when we moved here to colorado. Decided to try self-employment when we finished this past summer.

Gravity

Dances with Mice
02-06-2006, 19:25
Senior Research Scientist for Famous Multinational Consumer Products Company.

But that's really just a front for my CIA undercover assignment monitoring the international Sports Juggling cartel. But I really can't talk about that.

Skidsteer
02-06-2006, 19:31

But that's really just a front for my CIA undercover assignment monitoring the international Sports Juggling cartel. But I really can't talk about that.

You're being too modest, Dances. You could certainly tell us all about it, but then you'd have to kill us; And you're too nice of a guy to do that. Besides, it'd be a hassle to track us all down. ;)

tsali
02-06-2006, 19:48
Finishing my degree in hotel and restaruant managment at the CIA, Not the secret one, The culinary school, I graduate in may and going on my first thru hike, After that it is off to alaska to work as a chef and plan my next adventure.

Belgarion
02-06-2006, 19:58
Dream aboult walking it again. Planning on walking it again, walking it again

Seeker
02-06-2006, 21:32
jobs i've had...

cabinet making/finish carpentry (dad was a german cabinet maker)
army officer (three different career fields... had lots of fun!)
maid service owner (never again!)
car salesman (no, they're not all crooks...)

currently design scenarios/background for army training exercises (mostly fun, but frustrating lately).

father of two daughters, husband to one wife (19 years), alcohol stove tinkerer, and like to do or read about anything i've never done before, especially in regard to outdoor/survival/homesteading/handicraft skills or doing things 'the old fashioned way'... woodworking, tanning skins, making anything, preserving food, blacksmithing, whatever... love military history and going to zoos and museums... living history demonstrations are awesome... also enjoy horseback riding, and was once in a position to volunteer a whole day a week at a handicapped riding academy for several years (helps when you have your own business... others do the work, you get to give back to the community).

i've spent a significant portion of my wealth on Mtn Dew and Chips Ahoy cookies... very little on booze. none on illegal drugs. i've travelled a lot, lived in europe for several years, and got the army to send me on an all expense paid trip to not one, but TWO exotic locations i hope to never see again. well, either would be ok with a good hotel... nice people, nice beaches, nice weather. just always someone wanting to shoot at you. that's a real downer...

oh. and i've been owned by three cats...

swift
02-06-2006, 23:16
Most of my non-hiking time I get paid to drive up to construction sites. Point, yell and curse in various languages appearing to be very upset, then drive away and find coffee.

TrailReverend
02-06-2006, 23:25
writer, poet, artist, soon to be college professor

Cookerhiker
02-08-2006, 10:17
Usually planning the next hike or trip.

Lone Wolf
02-08-2006, 10:26
I don't work for a "living". Off trail I golf, run trail races, ride my Harley, I'm a father to 2 cats, I do dishes, laundry, maintain my yard, drink beer at Dot's and act like an asshat here on Whiteblaze.:)

irritable_badger
02-08-2006, 11:06
I do special project management for e-commerce companies. Enterprise and small scale firms contract me to develop and/or fix their e-commerce programs. The AT is the starting point for my new life/career path. When I am finished hiking and wandering (sometime in 2007-08) I am going back to school for Naval Architecture so I can design sailboats.

rusty075
02-08-2006, 11:10
Architect by day...mostly designing monster houses that cost more to build than the GDP of many third world countries, and that require the clearcutting of several acres of rainforest to trim them out.

By night, technical journalist and website admin.

Jaybird
02-08-2006, 12:04

Other than thinking about HIKIN'...i spend most of my LIFE (my job) @ a TV station in Nashville, TN...mixing audio...(audio engineer) for "live" newscasts,
info-tainment shows & "voice" commercials for clients.:D

Goon
02-08-2006, 14:40
I'm a professional nerd ("Software Engineer").

Lone Wolf
02-07-2008, 15:31
I don't work for a "living". Off trail I golf, run trail races, ride my Harley, I'm a father to 2 cats, I do dishes, laundry, maintain my yard, drink beer at Dot's and act like an asshat here on Whiteblaze.:)

ain't much changed :)

Kirby
02-07-2008, 15:36
I go to school, ride my road bike, and play Ultimate Disk.

Kirby

rafe
02-07-2008, 15:45
Firmware and electronics engineer. Firmware is a bit like software, only crunchy. Ski, sail, take photos, read books, travel for fun.

Bare Bear
02-07-2008, 15:48
I teach elementary school as a sub (lets you leave whenever you feel the need for no speed hiking) and driving a tour bus (ditto, quick money then you can take a few months off). It is amazing how little you can live with once you realize 'stuff' just ties you down to boredom. JellyBean (AT 06) once said that "What we carry is a reflection of our fears." Perfect quote for life too.

sherrill
02-07-2008, 16:48
Systems analyst/Network Engineer - contractor for NIH.

Stoker53
02-07-2008, 16:55
I work for a large multinational computer manufacturer. In Production Control.

And no I don't know how to fix your current puter problem....:rolleyes:

Almost There
02-07-2008, 16:59
High School History teacher and coach

Hurley
02-07-2008, 17:08
(22) server, cook, carpenter, musician, artist. I owned a somewhat successful screen printing business for a year.

Hurley
02-07-2008, 17:09
I also sent a very awful six months as an HVAC (air conditioning) installer.

Jim Adams
02-07-2008, 18:03
work as a paramedic and race motorcycles as my non-hiking hobbie.

i do more canoe tripping than hiking.

geek

gumball
02-07-2008, 18:37
Forensics, with kids.

Waterfall
02-07-2008, 18:41
I'm a writer. Current day job is as a tech writer at a software company.

My husband (also a hiker) is a professional with the Boy Scouts and runs a high-adventure camp.

gungho
02-07-2008, 19:12
In between hiking and planning the next adventure. I am an operations manager for a local home improvement warehouse(I have been their for 14yrs)

rickb
02-07-2008, 19:23

Enjoyed it all until I came to #198, but I got over my discomfort. Then I was hit with #522. Made me cringe.

There is not MT Katahdin!

Other that really cool in both content and style!!!!!

girlnextdoor
02-08-2008, 13:23
I love hearing what everyone does off trail!

In real life I'm an art therapist working at a group home for sexually abused teens, daycenter for the mentally ill, and I own 'Expressive Art Therapy Consulting' downtown where I see clients.

I like to hang out with RW & my animals, wander the TN mountains, paint, read, do yoga (you'd think i'd be really flexible for the amount of yoga i do but that's not the case at all!)

doggiebag
02-08-2008, 13:35
I used to work in Information Systems. Now I'm trying to see if I can make a permanent indentation on my brother's couch with my rear until I start a new career working as a counsellor with at-risk kids at a camp in Western Maryland.

cannonball
02-08-2008, 13:45
I'm a writer. Current day job is as a tech writer at a software company.

My husband (also a hiker) is a professional with the Boy Scouts and runs a high-adventure camp.
Would that camp be Daniel Boone? and would that husband be awoll from said camp in the company of one Nomad come this spring?:)

YeOldeBackpacker
02-08-2008, 14:04
Wildland firefighter & EMT & own my own business Backpacking/Hiking equipment

Waterfall
02-08-2008, 14:37
Would that camp be Daniel Boone? and would that husband be awoll from said camp in the company of one Nomad come this spring?:)

Yup, that's the camp, and that my hubby! :)

satchownz
02-08-2008, 14:43
Web developer, musician, Guinness drinker. :)

that about sums it up!

cannonball
02-08-2008, 14:47
Yup, that's the camp, and that my hubby! :)
I took my autistic son ( aspergers syndrome) up there last summer. Super camp and Dan was great- just an over grown scout himself:). He even signed my copy of his book.
Stayed and in Boonesboro village and had a blast. Please share with Sheltowee that his camp is the talk opf Fl.:sun

Waterfall
02-08-2008, 16:35
Please share with Sheltowee that his camp is the talk opf Fl.:sun

Thanks--I will let him know. I have an inkling that it will make his day. Glad you had such a great time at camp!

Mark57
02-08-2008, 16:43
Mechanical Engineer for 3 more years, then, RETIRE!!!!!!

superman
02-08-2008, 18:25
I’m retired and stay busy doing heavy looking on with a propensity to gawk.;)

fiddlehead
02-08-2008, 21:52
Done so many different things already to keep my hiking jones going:
painting, plumbing, roofing, carpentry, logging, musician, siding, selling jewelry, PA system rental, DJ, long underwear salesman, photography, landscaping, caddy, ebayer, steel worker, backhoe operator, clothes designer (including bras), pour cement, travel writer (once), drum instructor, movie extra, even sold dream catchers to the Indians in Montana once.

Basically whatever it takes to feed the fire.

Presently: musician and father (2 year old boy) (and still selling long underwear)

I will say that both of my present jobs were made available to me thru backpacking. In one, i learned how to stay warm in the outdoors and started a company selling those goods,
and in the other, my backpacking 16 years gave me the time to practice and get good enough to do it for a living.

sam4msu
02-09-2008, 01:01
I am a retail operations manager in the home improvement industry...Could it be the same company as Gungho??? In the past I have been an aircraft mechanic for the Air
Force, a motorcycle salesman and an HVAC installer/sheetmetal mechanic. I have 1 wife of 20 years and 1 child of 23 years.

dessertrat
02-09-2008, 01:27
Lawyer.

ATSeamstress
02-09-2008, 02:20
Telecommunications technician for a living. Mother, daughter, sister and friend. I sing in a choir that visits nursing homes and retirement centers. Flutist, cook, world traveler, and most important of all, a Christian.

chief
02-09-2008, 03:02
Ain't this cool, an old drug up thread!

Sorta like LW, I don't work. Quit that nasty habit in '95. What do I do now? Whatever I please!

Mountain Dew
02-09-2008, 03:23
I'm a police officer in Dallas , TEXAS. I use to be a personal trainer, bouncer, worked for a law firm for years.....etc.... :sun

GGS2
02-09-2008, 05:17
Retired, sorta. I publish poetry, because my wife is a poet, but that isn't a job, it's a sort of hobby. Or worse. I used to be an engineer, a designer of physics experiment apparatus. But all I've really done since age ten or so is think of the universe and us and what it all is. I still do, so I haven't really retired. Never will. I'm philosopher trash.

Wolf - 23000
02-09-2008, 05:33
Well right now I'm working in the U.S. Army dreaming about the day when I can return to the AT. The day I'm able to say I'm going hiking and never have to come back. The day I not have to worry about getting off the trail because I have no money left and can just live out there as my home.

Living in the "Real world" is just to nuts for me. I miss the AT and all it has to offers.

Soon, soon.

Wolf

jigsaw
02-09-2008, 08:33
i build million dollar second homes for rich city folks so they can spend two months in the berkshires. :eek:

maxNcathy
02-09-2008, 10:31
Retired inner city elementary school teacher..got toughened up to play with bears and wild boars before breakfast.

rsmall
02-09-2008, 11:42
Retired from the Army (first career) and retired from high school principal position (second career). Now do volunteer work, read and enjoy life with my wife and my son's family.

Roots
02-09-2008, 12:04
[quote=sam4msu;530050]I am a retail operations manager in the home improvement industry...Could it be the same company as Gungho???

If it starts with a L and ends with a S, you've got it!;)

Roots
02-09-2008, 12:14
I am the best wife in the world to Gungho:D, a mom to the best daughter in the world, and a hiking junkie. I am the backpacking trip coordinator, family adventure planner, and gear researcher of the family. Always have been! I would LOVE to do it for a career.

In my past life, I worked as management for a restraurant and assistant manager in retail. EEWW!! Don't miss that.

Basically I research hiking trips until I can get out to do a hiking trip!!

notorius tic
02-09-2008, 12:19
Pro (FULL TIME SLACKER)-FULL TIME HIKER

ATSeamstress
02-09-2008, 12:21
Ain't this cool, an old drug up thread!

HA! You're right! I really must get in a better habit of checking the thread date. This is still interesting though, lots of new members.

:sun

BigwaveDave
02-09-2008, 18:32
Supervisor, U.S.Postal Service, build hot rods, surf and shoot

AT-HITMAN2005
02-09-2008, 18:39
i'm a counter top measurer for the only silestone distributor in central florida.

camp daniel boone- went there with scouts when i was 12 or 13, was great fun. spent a week there and even got to raft the nantahala.

aaroniguana
02-09-2008, 18:55
I was a military linguist, but I chucked all that to rehab houses for HUD and volunteer with Habitat for Humanity. Lately, I've been recovering from a shattered leg so I watch a lot of TV, spend WAYYYY too much time on eBay and play at internet stock trading. I'm up almost $4 this year in stocks. It almost offsets the $200 I lost on the superbowl. Almost. :(

Nean
02-09-2008, 19:30
These days I operate an Organic Cafe and Juice Bar at a nice little hot springs "resort" with my lady.:) We run a free hiker hostel in season.;) That leaves just enough time to drink beer during happy hour and go for a soak.:D

Lately I've been shoveling way too much snow.:(

tiptoe
02-09-2008, 21:20
editor for $$, gardener for pleasure. when not hiking, of course.

theunstrungharp
02-09-2008, 21:39
I'm a bass player. www.myspace.com/xaronbass or www.myspace.com/ameranouchegj to hear the music! We play all over the place, and I am very guilty of trying to book shows that will put me near the AT so I can do sections. w00t! Come see us and introduce yourself. I lurk more than I post.

Dogwood
02-09-2008, 22:01
Lately, it seems I'm always on a trail, but during those times I'm not, ready yourself for this combination, Horticulturist/Landscape Architect/entrepreneur/world traveler.

Dogwood
02-09-2008, 22:04
WOW! People sure do like to talk about themselves!

cuatro
02-10-2008, 12:03
furniture mover, it keeps me in shape and i only need to work for a few months to have enough money to hike

Bearpaw
02-10-2008, 15:27
I teach.

And hike during my long breaks. Good life.

Lilred
02-10-2008, 19:35
I teach.

And hike during my long breaks. Good life.

ditto that

Cookerhiker
02-11-2008, 09:40
Voluntarily unemployed i.e. retired. So I hike, cycle, travel, read, do some service projects e.g. trail maintenance and spend too much time on the internet (including WB) which I'm trying to cut down as part of 2008 resolutions.

DAKS
02-11-2008, 10:31
i'm a part-time ultrasound tech. the rest of the time away from the trail i am dreaming about the trail and trying to convince my wife i would be a great stay at home husband.:D

cannonball
02-11-2008, 13:22
Supervisor, U.S.Postal Service, build hot rods, surf and shoot
Let me caution you against stating that you are a postal employee and enjoy shooting in the same thread.:eek:

Dances with Mice
01-01-2009, 00:40

But that's really just a front for my CIA undercover assignment monitoring the international Sports Juggling cartel. But I really can't talk about that.The Juggling Conspiracy. It may be worse than you thought. I've been trying to warn everyone about it. But it may already be too late (http://www.drug-rehabs.org/con.php?cid=283&state=New%20York).

...nearly all of the heroin-dependent individuals interviewed reported that they got their drugs from a type of low-level dealer he calls "jugglers." The juggler, Furst said, is an addict, typically a white middle-class male between 18 and 25 who makes regular trips to New York City neighborhoods like Washington Heights or the Lower East Side where a "bundle" containing 10 bags of heroin goes for $80 or $90. Returning to the Hudson Valley, the juggler then sells individual bags to his friends and acquaintances, rarely to strangers, for $20 or $25 each.
I think that completes my quota of juggling related posts for this year.

Egads
01-01-2009, 00:52
Cyberhike

Ranc0r
01-01-2009, 02:28
I used to do I.T., UNIX Systems Administration, for a global company known best for its copiers. Currently doing I.T. support and development for a major U.S. grocery chain.

My degree was in biology/bio-chem, go figure. Hiked in boy scouts, camped or hiked ever since, alone or through a couple marriages.

Since you asked...

Ranc0r

Wise Old Owl
01-01-2009, 04:14
Commercial Sales of Fire, Burglar, CCTV systems for medium sized companies. Loss Prevention.

solo29
01-01-2009, 09:32
work for a cable tv company in florida, cable guy

Joey
01-01-2009, 11:08
Aflac agent!!

l0ngterm
01-01-2009, 11:19
Software Architect is what I do to while thinking about hiking.

Doctari
01-02-2009, 08:57
Full time Paramedic
Part time Actor.

Dances with Mice
01-06-2009, 10:35
The Juggling Conspiracy. It may be worse than you thought. I've been trying to warn everyone about it. But it may already be too late (http://www.drug-rehabs.org/con.php?cid=283&state=New%20York).Forestry service cat juggler arrested (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/henry/stories/2009/01/05/cat_throw_burglar.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newsta b). Typical juggler - druggie gun possessing felon caught stealing axes for use in his act, stopped his crime spree just long enough to practice his cat tossing technique.

Henry police say they have cat-tossing burglar
By KATHY JEFCOATS ([email protected])
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Monday, January 05, 2009
A man caught on tape throwing a cat 20 to 30 feet in the air during a break-in has been arrested, Henry County (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/henry/index.html?cxntlid=linkr) police said.

William Conrad Morse, 38, of Keys Ferry Road in McDonough is charged with the Oct. 11 burglary of the McDonough office of the Georgia Forestry Commission.

Police Capt. Jason Bolton said the burglar found the Forestry Commission cat, Wildfire, inside a shed during the burglary and took it outside. After being thrown into the air, the cat landed on the roof of the building, fell to the concrete and ran away.

A surveillance camera captured the cat-tossing, as well as the burglary and theft of two axes, Bolton said. The cat survived.

During a search of Morse’s house, police found methamphetamine and a .22-caliber rifle, police said. Morse was charged with burglary, cruelty to animals, possession of the drug and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Morse, who was arrested Friday, is being held in the Henry County (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/henry/index.html?cxntlid=linkr) Jail.

Rockhound
01-06-2009, 17:21
was a seafood manager for a Wholefoods until I left in 2003. Now, if Im not hiking, Imhelping out at a hiker hostel, playing poker or visiting family. Anything but getting sucked back into the rat race.

Cedar Tree
01-06-2009, 17:55
After reading this entire thread, there seems to be a lot of teachers and tech people. I guess I am a little of both. Currently I teach 6-12th grade PE and Math, but I've taught every level from k - grad school.

I also sew alot, invent things, juggle, ride a unicycle, remodel houses (carpentry, plumbing, electrical...everything myself) and play sports when I can.

Claim to Fame: Coached Brett Favre in highschool, basketball and baseball, so I can't take any credit for his achievements later in life.

Cedar Tree

canoehead
01-06-2009, 18:01
Outdoor and Adventure Education
www.tekoamountainoutdoors.com (http://www.tekoamountainoutdoors.com) Check us out
We live for this stuff.......

Plodderman
01-07-2009, 12:07
I am a Minister in the church of the Nazarene. Hike a couple of days a week year round and run occasionally.

A-Train
01-07-2009, 15:50
Door to door salesman and squeegee guy for car windshields in NYC.

JDCool1
01-08-2009, 11:47
I am retired, so I play alot, I also serve as a transitional minister in churches across the country, help my wife with our retail gift store, teach a class on preaching, visit children and grandchildren, attend college football and basketball games, visit with friends. dine out in fine restaurants, and generally enjoy myself and tease my friends.

e-doc
01-08-2009, 23:30
Jedi master and medical sage

BitBucket
01-08-2009, 23:59
IT innovation management, strategic planning, policy development, enterprise architecture, and project management for major agency within the Federal government...