PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hike with Stacey Kozel (Ironwill) on AT

Malto
09-21-2017, 14:29
There is a story of a paralyzed hiker that reportedly just finished the PCT this year after thru hiking the AT in 2016. Did anyone hike with her on the AT? If so where and for how long?

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/woman-paralyzed-from-the-waist-down-hiking-pacific-crest-trail/463512156

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://603c6e9c-b8ad-4678-8c9a-d0ef577f74a5/imagejpeg

imscotty
09-21-2017, 16:50
Malto,
The folks on the 2017 PCT Hiker FB page are having quite a conversation about this. Most of the posters cannot understand why they never saw or passed her on the trail. I'm no Internet detective, but this looks like another case of someone desiring attention making false claims. Sad really.

MuddyWaters
09-21-2017, 17:00
Do you expect mainstream media to use hiking terms with the understanding long distance hikers use? Or even care?

Their goal is sensationalism. Cause its all about revenue.

Websters has no official definition of thru hiking, im guessing. People even use it wrong here.

AllDownhillFromHere
09-21-2017, 17:15
Malto,
The folks on the 2017 PCT Hiker FB page are having quite a conversation about this. Most of the posters cannot understand why they never saw or passed her on the trail. I'm no Internet detective, but this looks like another case of someone desiring attention making false claims. Sad really.

Ask 10 people who saw the movie, and 9/10 will tell you that Strayed hiked the PCT.

Malto
09-21-2017, 17:19
Malto,
I saw that and was very disappointed that what appeared to be a very inspiration story is suspect at the very best case. I was just curious if the same was also true on the AT as well.

MuddyWaters
09-21-2017, 17:24
At her pace....is it technically possible? Wasnt it 10 mpd or such

capehiker
09-21-2017, 19:19
I've been following that thread as well. There's a lot of good detective work being done. Stacey has closed ranks and shut everything down. Not only did she stage her finish pic before her claimed date, but reverse image searches revealed she snagged pics from other blogs.

And let's not forget the story that she repelled down a cliff to render CPR to another hiker with a punctured lung and then assisted that person back up to safety....all while in her leg braces.

AllDownhillFromHere
09-21-2017, 19:43
http://www.theonion.com/article/stephen-hawking-builds-robotic-exoskeleton-1629

MuddyWaters
09-21-2017, 20:11
I've been following that thread as well. There's a lot of good detective work being done. Stacey has closed ranks and shut everything down. Not only did she stage her finish pic before her claimed date, but reverse image searches revealed she snagged pics from other blogs.

And let's not forget the story that she repelled down a cliff to render CPR to another hiker with a punctured lung and then assisted that person back up to safety....all while in her leg braces.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPX7gXXK4E0zY9IdYgxsVD9cMmtb5b9 iJE64QPPscMN1e0iI36sg

Im inspired.
She crawled to summit of katahdin at one am, with no one around.

At & pct back to back
W/o losing noticeable wt on either. But i guess when battery powered legs do walking for you....but wait , they dont. They make it HARDER.

Pretty much a miracle

Especially given. Snow. Conditions this yr. I met hikers that bailed to hike other trails.

Sure dont add up. More i think...more it seems like total sham...all of it.

DRRouner
09-21-2017, 21:51
interesting article about her submitting Katihden. Over four days it took her on one attempt. She finally climbed in 26 hours but of course it was night and so she didn't take a pic.
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/espnw-kozel161120/quadriplegic-stacey-kozel-conquers-appalachian-trail-exoskeleton

MuddyWaters
09-21-2017, 21:59
Im sure she will hike cdt next yr...

KDogg
09-21-2017, 22:56
I saw her in GA last year at the beginning of our thru hikes but didn't hike with her.

DRRouner
09-22-2017, 00:28
interesting article about her submitting Katihden. Over four days it took her on one attempt. She finally climbed in 26 hours but of course it was night and so she didn't take a pic.
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/espnw-kozel161120/quadriplegic-stacey-kozel-conquers-appalachian-trail-exoskeleton

Summit Katahdin damn auto correct.

Anybody that has climb Katahdin knows that it is patrolled and watched very religiously by the Rangers. Since they warned her before she climb, they would have known that she was camping up there for three nights and she would have been ticketed. Also, If she had that much trouble with Katahdin, how did she make it thru the whites and western Maine? On the PCT, she said she finished on the 5th of September but then when confronted with several inconsistencies she changed it to the end of August. I

capehiker
09-22-2017, 00:45
Someone posted a series of news images of Stacey at Baxter State Park which were all dated at the end of August yet she claimed she summered in November.

She has already changed her PCT finish date after it was revealed the monument in her photo did not match what it looked like at that time (the smaller monument was broken by her first stated finish date).

gwschenk
09-22-2017, 10:31
At her pace....is it technically possible? Wasnt it 10 mpd or such

Yes. BITD folks thruhiked at paces similar to that.

Hokiehikergirl
09-22-2017, 11:09

Anybody that has climb Katahdin knows that it is patrolled and watched very religiously by the Rangers. Since they warned her before she climb, they would have known that she was camping up there for three nights and she would have been ticketed. Also, If she had that much trouble with Katahdin, how did she make it thru the whites and western Maine? On the PCT, she said she finished on the 5th of September but then when confronted with several inconsistencies she changed it to the end of August. I

I don't believe she finished the AT but according to the espn article she tried to climb Big K, wasn't able to finish, left and continued to hike in Vermont and then came back to Katahdin to finish Oct 10 (may have been oct 11 or 12 - can't remember).. read the espn article carefully.

Hokiehikergirl
09-22-2017, 11:13
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170922/8c46a606fd03d5be6bada432b936d866.jpg

Hokiehikergirl
09-22-2017, 11:13
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170922/9a9e6b394a839c03c42dd37338109d24.jpg

Hokiehikergirl
09-22-2017, 11:14
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170922/67ad4020eda29a7b997694eb3a360bd4.jpg

Hokiehikergirl
09-22-2017, 11:16
Looks like her first attempt in oct 2015 before her thru was a fail, the 60 hour attempt during her thru also failed, and she tried again a few days later and also failed. The last final attempt would have been in Oct where she finished in the dark alone

rocketsocks
09-22-2017, 11:22
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170922/8c46a606fd03d5be6bada432b936d866.jpg...her mom tells how she did it, she dropped in!

Stacey calls her mom her hero and best friend. "There's other parents who would not be as cool as she is about my adventures," says Stacey, who has jumped out of perfectly good airplanes six times. "She always tells me what she thinks, but she never holds me back."

JPritch
09-22-2017, 12:03
Oh man, it would be sad to hear she is yet another in a long line of thru-hiking fibbers. I remember when she came through CVA last year and the local news did a story on her. I was so impressed by her. But over a year into the hiking scene now and I am much wiser to the folks who seem to seek attention about their hikes. It usually ends up the same way. Sad, if true.

JPritch
09-22-2017, 12:05
Forgot to add, I just finished the JMT and ran into a bunch of PCTers who had to skip that section on their thru hikes b/c of the snow and had returned to finish the High Sierra's. And these folks were all flying and doing big miles prior to and in the Sierras.

Sly
09-22-2017, 12:55

Climbed in 26 hours, how long to get down?

There are photos/videos of her near Chimney Pond but that's about it.

MuddyWaters
09-22-2017, 17:08
Climbed in 26 hours, how long to get down?

There are photos/videos of her near Chimney Pond but that's about it.

5-6 hrs . She summit 1 am . Friend met her as starting up trail in morning.

Memphis Tim
09-23-2017, 11:23
Here is the story that made the national news and the belated partial retraction from ABC. http://abcnews.go.com/US/facebook-group-members-accuse-paralyzed-hiker-lying-completing/story?id=50031481

Puddlefish
09-23-2017, 12:18
When did she start in 2016?

I only did 600 miles beginning mid April, 2016. Maybe half a dozen fellow hikers brought up the topic of her being on the trail, but more along the lines of "have you met her?" because they were aware of her hike on social media.

That said, the whole thru hiker label is self imposed, and didn't/doesn't impact my enjoyment of the trail at all. Doesn't matter a bit to me if she completed 10% of the trail, or 100%.

The only false claim thru hiker who bothered me, was this one super annoying guy, who I kept leaving behind intentionally, and miraculously kept showing up ahead of me. Screw that guy, not because he was lying, but because he was being annoying on the trail.

I think it's important that thru hiker or not, liar or not, we make an effort not to drive hikers off the trail with our derision (excepting that one annoying guy.)

ZombieDust66
09-23-2017, 12:45

How did she make it through the notch? Am I to believe the motorized braces were designed for 2200 mile hikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowbliss
09-23-2017, 17:46
I just want to know how she was able to get through the Mahoosucs after having so much trouble on Katahdin.

Chair-man
09-23-2017, 20:45
There is a story of a paralyzed hiker that reportedly just finished the PCT this year after thru hiking the AT in 2016. Did anyone hike with her on the AT? If so where and for how long?

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/woman-paralyzed-from-the-waist-down-hiking-pacific-crest-trail/463512156

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://603c6e9c-b8ad-4678-8c9a-d0ef577f74a5/imagejpeg

I was looking at this link and I now see where KGW.com has updated their article because of all the skepticism surrounding Stacey's hike. Here's the link http://www.kgw.com/news/local/paralyzed-woman-addresses-critics-after-completing-pacific-crest-trail/477641124?c=n

It appears to me her story is falling apart. Especially how her battery braces would have most likely shorted out if she had attempted a river crossing.

Malto
09-23-2017, 20:52
When did she start in 2016?

I only did 600 miles beginning mid April, 2016. Maybe half a dozen fellow hikers brought up the topic of her being on the trail, but more along the lines of "have you met her?" because they were aware of her hike on social media.

That said, the whole thru hiker label is self imposed, and didn't/doesn't impact my enjoyment of the trail at all. Doesn't matter a bit to me if she completed 10% of the trail, or 100%.

The only false claim thru hiker who bothered me, was this one super annoying guy, who I kept leaving behind intentionally, and miraculously kept showing up ahead of me. Screw that guy, not because he was lying, but because he was being annoying on the trail.

I think it's important that thru hiker or not, liar or not, we make an effort not to drive hikers off the trail with our derision (excepting that one annoying guy.)
I'm not sure the start date but the speculation is that she hiked very little only showing up at places like bear mtn for interviews. There wasn't a single hiker that met her anywhere other than major road crossings. This isn't a case of purism by any means, outright fabrication.

TNhiker
09-23-2017, 21:05
I remember when she came through CVA last year and the local news did a story on her. I

the news organization i work for also aired a story about her....

i am out of town this week---but I know we have heard about the possibility of her PCT hike being a fraud.....

not sure what we have done with it so far..

for many reasons than one---i tend not to get involved in these right from the get go....

with this one having questions----i might pipe in on it...

ZombieDust66
09-23-2017, 21:17
This guy claims to have seen her on the trail or a parking near the trail. This is from Mighty Blue's page when he interviewed her for his podcast.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/45eaec60ff17deea9ed72defe21b68a1.png

Malto
09-24-2017, 14:12
So, a couple of parking lot sightings but no others? There has to be someone out there that would have met her if she hiked the AT in '16 Anyone????? Here's a photo.

claybonnyman
09-24-2017, 15:48
Well, shoot.

That comment to Mighty Blue is me, and at the time I wrote it, I believed it.

Here's the deal:

Somewhere around Maryland, I walked through a park in a high-traffic area and saw a woman with unusual leg apparatus speaking with 2-3 other people. I wondered what her deal was, because the leg braces looked extremely beefy and unusual, but I am an impatient hiker and I walked on without stopping. I'm recalling that she was maybe 25 yards from where I walked through.

I never heard anything about her, or anyone like her, for the remainder of my hike, which I finished on Sept. 22 (I flipped Katahdin-Vermont to finish).

*After* I got home, I found news stories and video of her hike online. It was only at that point that I put two and two together and assumed I'd seen her (in Maryland or somewhere in that general area) in the park.

Now the thing is, I am a die-hard skeptic. Indeed, I thought Wildcard Ninja's tale was a load from the moment I first heard about it last year. But for some reason, my dubious-meter never clicked at all when it came to Kozel's tale. I never doubted it for a second, which is weird for a cynical bastard like me.

In conclusion:

a) I *think* I saw Kozel somewhere in the mid-mid-Atlantic last year. It was a high-traffic park and public area, on a significant road.

b) I am deeply disappointed in myself for not exercising my skepticism later that fall when I began reading about her hike.

ZombieDust66
09-24-2017, 16:00
Well, shoot.

That comment to Mighty Blue is me, and at the time I wrote it, I believed it.

Here's the deal:

Somewhere around Maryland, I walked through a park in a high-traffic area and saw a woman with unusual leg apparatus speaking with 2-3 other people. I wondered what her deal was, because the leg braces looked extremely beefy and unusual, but I am an impatient hiker and I walked on without stopping. I'm recalling that she was maybe 25 yards from where I walked through.

I never heard anything about her, or anyone like her, for the remainder of my hike, which I finished on Sept. 22 (I flipped Katahdin-Vermont to finish).

*After* I got home, I found news stories and video of her hike online. It was only at that point that I put two and two together and assumed I'd seen her (in Maryland or somewhere in that general area) in the park.

Now the thing is, I am a die-hard skeptic. Indeed, I thought Wildcard Ninja's tale was a load from the moment I first heard about it last year. But for some reason, my dubious-meter never clicked at all when it came to Kozel's tale. I never doubted it for a second, which is weird for a cynical bastard like me.

In conclusion:

a) I *think* I saw Kozel somewhere in the mid-mid-Atlantic last year. It was a high-traffic park and public area, on a significant road.

b) I am deeply disappointed in myself for not exercising my skepticism later that fall when I began reading about her hike.

I don't know why you would doubt the story when you just saw one piece of the puzzle. Through groups like this and Facebook, everyone sees lots of pieces to the puzzle.

There's no doubt in my mind she probably made a few appearances on the trail just to bolster her story.

I listened to the Mighty Blue podcast with Stacey again last night and she did not talk about one specific story about the trail. It was all about her and her braces.

dwcoyote
09-24-2017, 16:04
I heard her interviewed on Marcus Luttrell's "Team Never Quit" podcast and was having a real tough time believing her. At the time she was still on the PCT. A lot of her stories seemed like things she may have read or heard but not experienced. Very general without much detail. I questioned her then and felt bad for it, but now feeling like my spidey senses were correct.

Malto
09-24-2017, 16:14
I don't know why you would doubt the story when you just saw one piece of the puzzle. Through groups like this and Facebook, everyone sees lots of pieces to the puzzle.

There's no doubt in my mind she probably made a few appearances on the trail just to bolster her story.

I listened to the Mighty Blue podcast with Stacey again last night and she did not talk about one specific story about the trail. It was all about her and her braces.

I agree completely. if you read the Katahdin account now it looks like sure proof of "embellishment". BUT, if you assume she hiked all the way to Maine, through NH and Maine then you say "if she did that then Katahdin seems reasonable". Context. I am really surprised the authors of the article did say "if it took 12 hours to go a mile and a half then how did she make it through the Whites?"

egilbe
09-24-2017, 17:09
When was she supposed to have finished?

claybonnyman
09-24-2017, 17:59

I just think if I had watched the videos closely, having just slogged the entire trail myself, and seen how much difficulty she had moving even over relatively flat ground, my skepticism would have kicked in. Like I say, the second I heard about Wildcard Ninja I was suspicious; perhaps I gave Kozel the benefit of the doubt because of her disability (which, btw, is now under suspicion, at least as far as what it actually is and how it developed; she has given at least three different stories in public to date).

DRRouner
09-24-2017, 21:34
This was posted on the 2017 FB page.

" Stacey joined the Appalachian Trail group that I admin in Feb '16 introducing herself and her plan to thru-hike w these devices that she described as electronic braces. She was helpful and supportive of our other members and participated in discussions on start dates.
She def had concerns around recharging the batteries but she kind of thought she had a plan. Her biggest concern was how to keep the electronics dry. She explained that they were extremely delicate and would not even be able to be rained on. She was concerned about high humidity as well. Hikers are always helpful to other hikers and our members did their best to come up with helpful suggestions to keep her electronics dry strapped onto the sides of her legs as they were. Some of the suggestions would've meant creating a very sweaty area and she was concerned that even that amount of moisture would be damaging for her electronics and then where would she be?

Stacey announced her start date and so many of our members were eager to follow her but she removed herself as a member and, interestingly enough, all of her posts discussing the delicate nature of her electronics and how they could not ever get even the slightest bit wet.

And as much is our members were excited to follow her, none of them met her on the trail. At least there's no mention of that in our group (I just searched) wait… There is one post by Kelly Ann Who says she ran into her out there on the trail and that Stacey was doing great and should be admired that she was so kind and humble. So they apparently hikes together for a couple of weeks.

That was May 28, 2016 and the next thing we knew there was a announcement about her having summitted Katahdin October

JPritch
09-25-2017, 09:29
The more I read about this, the sadder I get. I wonder if she realizes how big a support network she could have had from the trail community if she had just asked. Imagine all the folks who would have hiked with her and provided support along her journey if she just had honorable intentions from the get go. Instead she chose a path of deception. It's kind of like stealing something from someone who would have given it to you had you just asked. smh

ScareBear
09-25-2017, 19:34
So, a couple of parking lot sightings but no others? There has to be someone out there that would have met her if she hiked the AT in '16 Anyone????? Here's a photo.

You know how somethings just can't pass the smell test? Well, anyone with a nose and a sense of the AT would have smelled the stench of deception miles away from this poseur clown. And, the PCT this season? BWAAAAAAHAAAAHAA!

Seriously, any journalist to fall for this needs to cover something other than the outdoors.

Here's the deal:
1. She is far slower than a typical hiker. Far. Slower. Yet she completes thru hikes in typical or FASTER than typical times.
2. These braces aren't nuclear powered...oh...wait...umm.....yeah...there's a bit of a logistical disconnect between battery-powered electrical braces and the wilderness....duh...where does she plug in at night?
3. They don't work in the wet. Period. Like...oh...rain. That might happen once, maybe twice on an AT thru. Rain.
4. Vertical. Yeah. Vertical. How do those braces work on the steeps, again? Oh...not enough HP to drag her overweight self(just stating a clearly visible fact) up the Whites or K for that matter? Not. Enough. Horse. Power. She would be better served by a battery operated winch.
5. Where is her gear? Any pics with her and realistic gear? Like..oh...a backpack with food and water and shelter? And...oh...batteries? Or a battery charger? Or a freaking generator?
6. All those miles on the AT and only a couple of pictures to show for it. None on top of a mountain. None. No iconic photos. None. And, nobody saw her at such places as Blood Mountain, NOC, Fontana, Hot Springs, Ewing, Damascus, the ATC at Harper's Ferry, nothing. Nothing she couldn't drive to. And even those she could....
7. Nobody hiked with her for any length of time. Ever. She did this all solo.
8. Wilderness areas. No motorized equipment in wilderness areas. You don't get to take your motorized wheelchair, you don't get to take your motorized legs. Seriously, did nobody think of this?
9. Post-holing. Picture it. Enough said.

So, apparently the idea of an editor has vanished from modern journalism. Even 20 years ago, this wouldn't have passed any editor's smell test. Now, everyone jumps on it as the feel-good-story-du-jour. Without even taking a whiff....

rocketsocks
09-25-2017, 19:53
I'm waitin' for the final report to come out before I decide. :welcome

Lone Wolf
09-25-2017, 19:59
non-issue. a fraud. next!

Malto
09-25-2017, 20:35
non-issue. a fraud. next!
Yes, but she is doing many speaking engagements and had a book in the works. But I suspect it is being ghost written by Wildcard Ninja.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2017, 20:40
yes, but she is doing many speaking engagements and had a book in the works. But i suspect it is being ghost written by wildcard ninja.:d.....................

Just Bill
09-25-2017, 23:34
:d.....................
You referring to a vaginal cleansing fluid distribution device?

If this is what it looks like... then Ninja ain't got nothin on this one.

Alligator
09-26-2017, 01:45
You know how somethings just can't pass the smell test? Well, anyone with a nose and a sense of the AT would have smelled the stench of deception miles away from this poseur clown. And, the PCT this season? BWAAAAAAHAAAAHAA!

Seriously, any journalist to fall for this needs to cover something other than the outdoors.

Here's the deal:
1. She is far slower than a typical hiker. Far. Slower. Yet she completes thru hikes in typical or FASTER than typical times.
2. These braces aren't nuclear powered...oh...wait...umm.....yeah...there's a bit of a logistical disconnect between battery-powered electrical braces and the wilderness....duh...where does she plug in at night?
3. They don't work in the wet. Period. Like...oh...rain. That might happen once, maybe twice on an AT thru. Rain.
4. Vertical. Yeah. Vertical. How do those braces work on the steeps, again? Oh...not enough HP to drag her overweight self(just stating a clearly visible fact) up the Whites or K for that matter? Not. Enough. Horse. Power. She would be better served by a battery operated winch.
5. Where is her gear? Any pics with her and realistic gear? Like..oh...a backpack with food and water and shelter? And...oh...batteries? Or a battery charger? Or a freaking generator?
6. All those miles on the AT and only a couple of pictures to show for it. None on top of a mountain. None. No iconic photos. None. And, nobody saw her at such places as Blood Mountain, NOC, Fontana, Hot Springs, Ewing, Damascus, the ATC at Harper's Ferry, nothing. Nothing she couldn't drive to. And even those she could....
7. Nobody hiked with her for any length of time. Ever. She did this all solo.
8. Wilderness areas. No motorized equipment in wilderness areas. You don't get to take your motorized wheelchair, you don't get to take your motorized legs. Seriously, did nobody think of this?
9. Post-holing. Picture it. Enough said.

So, apparently the idea of an editor has vanished from modern journalism. Even 20 years ago, this wouldn't have passed any editor's smell test. Now, everyone jumps on it as the feel-good-story-du-jour. Without even taking a whiff....Regarding #8 a person can take a motorized wheelchair that is suitable for indoor use into wilderness. Not an issue.

Disco
09-26-2017, 09:29
A few years ago, I spotted a guy wearing a shirt that loudly proclaimed "I hiked the entire Appalachian Trail". I eagerly shook his hand, and congratulated him on his thru-hike. His girlfriend responded, "Read it again carefully". Then I noticed the very small letters 'width of the' making the shirt really say "I hiked the entire width of the Appalachian Trail". Well, heck, I'd done that, too, and we all laughed. Perhaps Stacey simply hiked the entire WIDTH of the AT and PCT.Second theory: "I'm through hiking on the Appalachian Trail" was misheard as "I'm thru-hiking on the Appalachian Trail". Through as in 'had enough'. Then she headed out west to be through with the PCT, too.

saltysack
09-26-2017, 09:53
A few years ago, I spotted a guy wearing a shirt that loudly proclaimed "I hiked the entire Appalachian Trail". I eagerly shook his hand, and congratulated him on his thru-hike. His girlfriend responded, "Read it again carefully". Then I noticed the very small letters 'width of the' making the shirt really say "I hiked the entire width of the Appalachian Trail". Well, heck, I'd done that, too, and we all laughed. Perhaps Stacey simply hiked the entire WIDTH of the AT and PCT.Second theory: "I'm through hiking on the Appalachian Trail" was misheard as "I'm thru-hiking on the Appalachian Trail". Through as in 'had enough'. Then she headed out west to be through with the PCT, too.

[emoji23]damn I didt realize it but....I'm a triple crowner!!!![emoji146]

MuddyWaters
09-26-2017, 11:52
Twiple crown....
http://nighthikingtomars.blogspot.com/2015/12/hiker-claims-fastest-known-time-for.html

Time Zone
09-26-2017, 13:17
extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

As best I can tell, nothing to see here.

somers515
09-26-2017, 14:37
http://claybonnymanevans.com/yes-stacey-kozels-pct-and-at-lies-matter/

fredmugs
09-26-2017, 15:31
Ask 10 people who saw the movie, and 9/10 will tell you that Strayed hiked the PCT.

HA! I won a bet with a woman who read the book AND saw the movie and still thought she hiked the whole thing. I've done neither.

saltysack
09-26-2017, 16:07
Twiple crown....
http://nighthikingtomars.blogspot.com/2015/12/hiker-claims-fastest-known-time-for.html

That's Great[emoji23][emoji146][emoji146][emoji146]

John B
09-26-2017, 16:58
"So how come no one noticed her?"

http://deadspin.com/how-did-no-one-notice-this-inspirational-hiker-on-the-p-1818647235

Venchka
09-26-2017, 17:09
Where are the folks who built the mechanism that permitted the thru hiking? By her own admission, the system wasn't weatherproof. Anyone who has spent at least 24 hours in the North Carolina Rain Forest knows about the liquid atmosphere, multi-day rain events, etc.
I did find a video clip of her facing a rock pile masquerading as a trail shot from behind and she wasn't making any progress. Who shot the video? What did they see?
And of course there is the obligatory appearance of a national news anchor nearly in tears relating the story.
Makes you wonder. Hey.
Wayne

saltysack
09-26-2017, 17:13
Forget about her....7 people died this year on PCT?

Venchka
09-26-2017, 17:22
Forget about her....7 people died this year on PCT?

I don't doubt that. I knew of one woman earlier this year, May I believe? And another woman who died on Mt. Whitney in May. Is that on the PCT?
You're right. Enough said.
Wayne

Cheyou
09-26-2017, 17:27
I’d say you all are beating a dead horse.

Thom

Venchka
09-26-2017, 17:56
No more so than all the other dead horses around here.
Wayne

Lugnut
09-26-2017, 18:39
I've always wondered about Bill Irwin. ��

TNhiker
09-26-2017, 18:59
I've always wondered about Bill Irwin. ��

i believe he is credible...

along with Erik Weihenmayer.......

ScareBear
09-26-2017, 19:07
Regarding #8 a person can take a motorized wheelchair that is suitable for indoor use into wilderness. Not an issue. See? I don't know everything. I knew a wheelchair was ok, I didn't realize a motorized one was. It is. So long as it would be allowed indoors. So no internal combustion engines. I suppose she could have gotten away with a Segway...but it still doesn't explain the Whites or even K... Now the talk has become, "Is she even paralyzed?" since she has given varying causes of her paralysis. Plus, if you look at her videos and photos you'll see legs that appear to have....muscle tone. Paralyzed legs atrophy and do not have muscle tone....

Mags
09-26-2017, 21:02
along with Erik Weihenmayer.......

I saw him speak after his Everest trip.

He totally sandbagged us in a funny way.

He asked the audience how many of us did a 14er. It was in Colorado after all.

Many of us raised our hands. Erik then laughed.

We sheepishly looked at each other and laughed with him.

TNhiker
09-26-2017, 21:05
Many of us raised our hands. Erik then laughed.

We sheepishly looked at each other and laughed with him.

ha...

had sorta the same experience with him...

he stopped by our station and i went outside to interview him...

typically i tell the person that im about to interview, to just look at me and not look right into the camera...

i kinda stuttered and just said to look in the direction of my voice.....

at this point, he was used to the media and knew what i needed....

really nice guy as well.........

claybonnyman
09-28-2017, 14:28
Sure, you can take a motorized wheelchair or Segway into the "wilderness." But anyone who has spent any time on the AT will tell you that neither a wheelchair nor a Segway would be able to handle the vast majority of miles on the trail. It is steep, rocky, rooty, slabby, slippery, muddy, you name it. It's also quite narrow for most of its length, maybe 18-24 inches, tops. Even in "easy" Shenandoah National Park, there are very limited parts of the trail where a wheelchair or Segway could go. The three+ miles after Harpers Ferry (nobo), sure, but that isn't impressive.

claybonnyman
09-28-2017, 14:33

You're right, of course. And yet I'm an uber-skeptic who hiked the AT in '16—I never bought Wildcard Ninja's baloney for one second—and I accepted her great "feat." In no way excusing my foolish gullibility, but I didn't read the media carefully or watch much of the video at length. Had I watched her struggle to climb Katahdin (ESPN, Boston Globe), it would have been apparent to me that she could in no way have hiked the trail.

The only explanation I have is that I wanted this inspiring story to be true. But as more and more evidence emerges, it's pretty appalling the level of deception that went into this ruse.

saltysack
09-28-2017, 14:56
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170928/417fa9c45072757d9f0498d7726eefae.png

Bring on the AT!![emoji23]

MuddyWaters
09-28-2017, 15:39

Id build an amphibious one too.

I got a distant cousin thats head of the nasa rover vehicle group. We was roomies in college.

JC13
09-28-2017, 16:10

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJust need to mount a brush cutter on the front, to you know, help out the crews.

Deacon
09-28-2017, 16:14
Just need to mount a brush cutter on the front, to you know, help out the crews.

How about a scarifer attachment on the bottom to smooth out those Pennsylvania rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JC13
09-28-2017, 16:15
How about a scarifer attachment on the bottom to smooth out those Pennsylvania rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProNow we are getting somewhere!!!