PDA

View Full Version : Keeping water bottle cool...good idea or waste?

Crossup
09-21-2017, 15:05
Realizing I was not only not going to have my ice pops with me but not even any cold water, I started thinking about how I might minimize drinking piss warm water etc. So far I have a Camelback insulated bottle(not the Eddy style hard side double wall) and a rather thick insulated carry sleeve/cozy with straps(a Neosling)(purchased with a combo dog water bottle/trough. That also solved the issue of not being able to reach the bottle pockets in my pack(probably the biggest downside to the Stratos 50 pack with its ventilated frame).
Until I figured out the bottle I was going to rely on a 100oz hydration bladder in the pack(no where near full of course), now I'm wondering if its worth the weight and just how cool it might stay- the Stratos does not touch one's back except at upper shoulder and hip area, so minimal heat transfer.
Thoughts?

KDogg
09-21-2017, 15:20
I did a thru last year and never noticed my water being too hot or even too warm. I kept a single smartwater bottle full and stopped to filter more when it was empty. Usually this meant fresh water several times a day from mostly cold sources. This just never came up for me and I didn't hear anybody I was around complaining about it either. I'm guessing this would be a waste.

MuddyWaters
09-21-2017, 16:06
I actually prefer prefer room temperature water that's what I drink at home.

You don't really notice your water temperature on the trail, unless it's really cool and refreshing

HooKooDooKu
09-21-2017, 16:35
Room temperature water is actually better for you. A whole bunch of cold water can sour your stomach. If you've ever been really thirsty, you will find that it is much easier to chug-a-lug room temperature water than you can chilled water.

AllDownhillFromHere
09-21-2017, 17:16
I think you're overdesigning it. It's just water, drink it. :) Also, I think HooKooDooKu is onto something.

Kaptainkriz
09-21-2017, 17:27
The water is very cold at most springs.

imscotty
09-21-2017, 17:33
I did a section hike on the PCT this summer during one of the California heat waves. For the hike I had two water bottles on the outside side pockets of my pack. At Burney Falls I was told the temperature was 111 F that day. Whatever the temperature was I can tell you that within an hour of filling up, the water in those bottles was as warm as piss. It was sickening to drink.

My next section hike in CA I will be changing my hydration system to try to insure my water stays cool(er).

AllDownhillFromHere
09-21-2017, 19:44
I did a section hike on the PCT this summer during one of the California heat waves. For the hike I had two water bottles on the outside side pockets of my pack. At Burney Falls I was told the temperature was 111 F that day. Whatever the temperature was I can tell you that within an hour of filling up, the water in those bottles was as warm as piss. It was sickening to drink.
My next section hike in CA I will be changing my hydration system to try to insure my water stays cool(er).

I wonder how much water it would take on a piece of cloth around the bottle in order to cool it?

Crossup
09-21-2017, 22:11
unfortunately, Overdesign is my middle name
sounds like if the insulation does not keep it cool, its not worth any bother

I think you're overdesigning it. It's just water, drink it. :) Also, I think HooKooDooKu is onto something.

DownEaster
09-22-2017, 01:04
If you're keeping the water in a mesh pocket in your backpack, you could try wetting that mesh and see what sort of improvement in bottle temperature that causes.

Leo L.
09-22-2017, 02:51
Personally I never had any problems with drinking water being too warm, not even in the desert in high summer.
But I have some problems with too cold water fresh from our mountain springs. Can't drink enough of this cold water due to pain in teeth and stomac.

If you prefer cooler water in high temperature desert environment, you can build a "desert cooler".
Just cover the water container with some cloth (cotton would be perfect, so you might well use one of your T-shirts), wet the cloth throuout, and hang it on a shady, airy place. Shade and lots of air - both essential to let the cooler work.
Wet the cloth repeatedly. It will take an hour or two to notice the water becoming cooler. Best you can achieve is a temperature drop of about 10°C below environment.
The better part of the world is drinking water cooled this way.

I doubt if the additional work will be worth it for you in the long run, especially during a hiking day.
Better to just get rid of the civilisational habit of drinking water out of the fridge, and get used to water how nature provides.

tflaris
09-22-2017, 08:47

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk