PDA

View Full Version : recommended map for White mountains

kibs
09-21-2017, 15:29
I am doing my first solo NOBO next May. Is there a current up-to-date topo map for the White mountain range?
Also, is there much difference between USGS and Nat Geo? I plan to add Guthook to my cell but someone suggested getting a topo map for the Whites.
Thanks,
kibs

moldy
09-21-2017, 15:52
Not much diff between nat geo and usgs. Guthook is all you need. If you get a paper map for the Whites get a trail map offered by the ATC. What you need for the Whites is the list of trail names. They are terrible at naming the AT what it is. They prefer to call the AT more than a dozen different local names. It continues to cause non local hikers a big problem when they come to the fork in the road and the sign says "fishing Johnny trail to the left and some other stupid name to the right" you are left to guess. Do they want you to get lost and die on the mountain? So you should get that list of odd names that they call the AT.

Zea
09-21-2017, 15:57
I hike in the Whites very regularly and have used a few different maps, never had an issue with any.

Here's a link to my preferred one:
http://www.mountainwanderer.com/proddetail.php?prod=NHH02a

As moldy mentioned, trail intersections are the main issue for thru's navigating the Whites... there are a lot.

MuddyWaters
09-21-2017, 16:02
Best is mapadventures.com

These is ok if you want 3 non waterproof maps instead of 1 waterproof above.

kibs
09-21-2017, 16:26
Many thanks and much appreciated for your responses! I like the one map vs. three.
I need all the clarity I can get my hands on!!!!

The Snowman
09-21-2017, 19:17
The AMC-Nat Geo maps are the best followed by the AMC maps

Slo-go'en
09-21-2017, 23:46
I use a locally produced map called "Exploring New Hampshire's White Mountains" by the Wilderness Map Company. Not sure if it's sold on line, but it's commonly available in stores in the area. It's annotated with lots of useful information about distances, times, difficulty, warnings and highlights.

It covers the whole area from Moosilauke to RT2 in Shelburne.

Deacon
09-22-2017, 06:37
I hike in the Whites very regularly and have used a few different maps, never had an issue with any.

Here's a link to my preferred one:
http://www.mountainwanderer.com/proddetail.php?prod=NHH02a

As moldy mentioned, trail intersections are the main issue for thru's navigating the Whites... there are a lot.

It really shouldn't be an issue following the AT through the Whites. I did it easily with no maps. The trail was also well blazed.

Look at the top line on the sign in this photo. Whatever the trail name, the AT was always included in parentheses. I don't believe I saw a sign that wasn't this way. Someone will probably prove me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rafe
09-22-2017, 07:53
Just beware there are a few short stretches on the Presi traverse where the AT is blazed in yellow. I'm told this is done for improved visibility.

moldy
09-22-2017, 08:22
I disagree that the AT through the White's is well blazed or marked. I think it is by far the worst blazing on the entire trail. Ask any non-local thru hiker. It's a shame that the most dangerous area has the worst blazing.

Slo-go'en
09-22-2017, 09:06
I disagree that the AT through the White's is well blazed or marked. I think it is by far the worst blazing on the entire trail. Ask any non-local thru hiker. It's a shame that the most dangerous area has the worst blazing.

It's kind of hard to blaze a trail which there are no trees. Which is why you have to follow piles of rocks. Blazes painted on rocks don't last long and can't be seen in fog or under snow and ice anyway.

Deacon
09-22-2017, 13:24

Well it looked to me like a lot of the blazes were recently painted. I was surprised at how well it was blazed.

I wonder if this was done after the Geraldine Largay incident, as if to say we don’t want that to happen in Maine again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

egilbe
09-22-2017, 13:43

That trail looks pretty tough to follow without those white blazes painted on every other rock. FYI thats Gulfside trail looking towards Madison Spring Hut.