PDA

View Full Version : Campsites south of rt 325?

PAtradhunter
09-21-2017, 20:57
Are there any campsites between rt 235 and the peters mountain shelter? Looking for a site to accommodate a Boy Scout troop?

Slo-go'en
09-22-2017, 11:20
The guide book shows one site 1.6 miles south of 325. Don't know if it's big enough for a boy scout troop. I believe this is on State Game land which has strict camping rules. Water is also very scarce in this area. If it's hunting season, make sure your not shot at.

Professor Paul
09-22-2017, 23:08
I wish I could be more specific than this, but I distinctly remember seeing a boy scout troop setting up shop in that vicinity one time. It was a year or two ago, but I believe it was by Table Rock, but on the other side of the trail. I think there was a yellow trail that intersected the AT right around there. It didn't seem like a particularly good place to camp but there were a lot of whippersnappers gathering firewood, struggling to set up their tents, having swordfights with sticks and all that, so they somehow managed.

LittleTim
09-22-2017, 23:31
As slogoin said, there's actually two sites about 1.5-2.5 south of 325, although I disagree that either would accommodate more than two tents. The second spot will be on your left hand side as you travel 'south' on the AT and it has a nice view. Of course this area isn't very accommodating at all to tents.

But...... northbound from 325, theres a decent campsite at about 1 mile and I'm guessing 2.25 miles there's an old leveled area from a radio tower or fire tower that could accommodate 10 tents easy. The only reliable water either direction from 325 is at 325, so you'll be carrying it either way.

And it is my understanding that the area you're going into is a habituated bear relocation area, so please be responsible with your food and trash.

LittleTim
09-22-2017, 23:34
And again to repeat slogoin, no overnight parking is permitted, and in order to lawfully camp your entry point must be different than your exit point, so no out and backs.

Game Warden
10-14-2017, 19:40
Overnight parking is OK, but groups of 10 or more must contact the PA Game Commission SE Region office at 610-926-3136 to obtain a free permit. LittleTim is correct that your hike must be from point A to point B. Not all the AT is on State Game lands; the two shelters on Peters Mtn are on Nat Park lands, and do not have the same restrictions.

Frankly, there are no camping areas suitable for large groups anywhere on State Game Lands 211, nor should there be. Keep in mind the land is purchased with hunting license dollars, not general taxes.

You don't want to have your group hike on a day when we have scheduled a controlled burn, or opening day of bear season, etc. That's why we want groups of 10 or more to contact us first.

cliffordbarnabus
10-14-2017, 23:52
Overnight parking is OK, but groups of 10 or more must contact the PA Game Commission SE Region office at 610-926-3136 to obtain a free permit. LittleTim is correct that your hike must be from point A to point B. Not all the AT is on State Game lands; the two shelters on Peters Mtn are on Nat Park lands, and do not have the same restrictions.

Frankly, there are no camping areas suitable for large groups anywhere on State Game Lands 211, nor should there be. Keep in mind the land is purchased with hunting license dollars, not general taxes.

You don't want to have your group hike on a day when we have scheduled a controlled burn, or opening day of bear season, etc. That's why we want groups of 10 or more to contact us first.
what nat'l park???

Game Warden
10-15-2017, 21:29
The National Park Service owns some narrow corridors of land along the AT in this part of Pennsylvania. Some are surrounded by private property, others by state game lands, etc. The local section maps can tell you what is what.

Also, to clarify my post about 10 person groups: If your through hike (point A to point B) doesn't begin on game lands, you don't need a permit. A permit is only needed if you are going to be on game lands the whole time.

People involved in the AT, whether ATC or local state, federal, and private landowners, know that keeping the trail open across a hodgepodge of properties involves a lot of diplomacy and deal-making. It is what it is.