PDA

View Full Version : Put Pics of shelters in the shelter list.

brz
02-05-2006, 06:51
One OBVIOUS suggestion would be to include a picture of a shelter in the shelter and miles list. I really don't care about the politics about whose pictures, but there needs to be at least ONE picture for each shelter. There are a lot of shelters that don't have photos here. It is an enourmous PITA to have to navigate all over this board to find pictures of shelters only to discover that there are no pictures in the post!:confused:

Its really bad design to have users hunt for information. No searches that ultimately end up as dead links, just a picture link. It would be a great community project. I cannot believe that there is no link to the Blood Mtn. shelter here!:cool:

It is true that a picture is worth a thousand words and extremely valuable in planning a hike.

Thanks and keep up the otherwise good work.

-brz

gargamel
02-05-2006, 07:38
It is an enourmous PITA to have to navigate all over this board to find pictures of shelters only to discover that there are no pictures in the post!:confused:

How could they dare to do this? Maybe we should report it to the proper authority ?( best would be this guy, Hal Bore, who invented the internet)

Its really bad design to have users hunt for information.

I agree 100%. It's a terrible impertinence to expect users should look up everything on their own. Hey, it's the internet. Just show me what I want to see and do it as quick as possible.

No searches that ultimately end up as dead links, just a picture link. It would be a great community project. I cannot believe that there is no link to the Blood Mtn. shelter here!:cool:

You are so right man. I'm shocked! It took exactly 27 precious seconds of my invaluable time to find the pictures. Blood Mountain Shelter (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=584&userid=)

It is true that a picture is worth a thousand words and extremely valuable in planning a hike.

Perhaps you should have saved your words and posted a nice picture instead. :D

Ok, let's get earnest.

Maybe you haven't fully understood how this site works. They (admins) provide the playground and we (users) have to play on our own. If you are not satisfied with the information you find (or if you are not able to figure out that a picture from a shelter would be found best in the PICTURE section of this site) you are free to do something to change this. You mentioned that it would be a great community project to include pictures of every shelter (and I think you were talking about the particular sub-forum). Wouldn't it be a great contribution from YOUR side to take pictures of every shelter and post them where you think they should appear? Think about it. And don't take my ironic remarks as an offense. I just couldn't hold it. ;)

brz
02-05-2006, 08:50
What a group of jerks. Excuse me, I live in an area that has been directrly hit by three (3) Category 5 HURRICANES in the last year (Ivan, Katrina, and Rita). My home on Dauphin Island, AL is 6 feet UNDER the Gulf of Mexico. I live in a self provided RV (screw FEMA) with no electricity since Katrina and the only way I can get to the Internet is by cell phone which is PAY PER BIT. (and slower than a 300 baud modem.) I consider myself fortunate that I have a cell phone.

So, while I'm paying $800 per month (seriously) to view this content, It takes several minutes to load EVERY page. I can take HOURS to find pictures of value.

Maybe, intellegence isn't normally associated with hikers around here or at least INNOVATION isn't. My respectful suggestion is valid.

Its always a bad sign when people pick on new commers to a board. They usually are the stupidest people in the forums. Thanks for identifying yourselves.

BTW, having a link to a shelter picture on the shelter list is a SMART idead. I guess you are not smart.

Poor is the spirit that cannot take constructive comments.
Afterall, isn't a purpose of this board to improve the quality of the AT experience?

Big Dawg
02-05-2006, 09:37
BRZ,, sorry you feel this way,,,, not all of us here are jerks. I too have thought the same thing as you. YES, the pics are in the "photo section", but they are not in any order-(that I can tell),,, so you have to search thru them to find the one you want. I've always thought that having a link to the pic, next to the shelter name on the "shelter list" would be a great idea. But I'm a section hiker & rarely stay in shelters, so I seldom need to know what one looks like.

BRZ, welcome to WhiteBlaze! I hope you have a great hike,,,, & you WILL find plenty of great things on this site,,, just learn to ignore the stuff/people that's not pertinent to you. Most people here are great. In my opinion, gargamel's responses were sarcastic & uncalled for. But hey, to each his own.

gargamel
02-05-2006, 09:59
Yes, my response was sarcastic and if I offended you please take my apologies. If you think I'm a stupid unintelligent jerk it's your right to do so, but don't use the plural, as I was the only one answering your post.

To contribute at least something constructive:

If you look for the picture of a particular shelter
1) Go to the Galleries Homepage
2) Scroll down to Shelter Galleries
3) Pick the state

In some sub-categories the shelters are sorted by shelter names, in others they are mixed. But as most of the pics have titels a search within the gallery may produce the desired result.

Have a nice day.

hikerjohnd
02-05-2006, 10:51
What a group of jerks. Excuse me, I live in an area that has been directrly hit by three (3) Category 5 HURRICANES in the last year (Ivan, Katrina, and Rita). My home on Dauphin Island, AL is 6 feet UNDER the Gulf of Mexico. I live in a self provided RV (screw FEMA) with no electricity since Katrina and the only way I can get to the Internet is by cell phone which is PAY PER BIT. (and slower than a 300 baud modem.) I consider myself fortunate that I have a cell phone.

So, while I'm paying $800 per month (seriously) to view this content, It takes several minutes to load EVERY page. I can take HOURS to find pictures of value.....

Poor is the spirit that cannot take constructive comments.
Afterall, isn't a purpose of this board to improve the quality of the AT experience?

And yet despite the hardship and adversity, you can find the time to plan a thru-hike.....

Kerosene
02-05-2006, 11:37
Anyone can take the time to post a link(s) to a shelter directly from the Shelter Forum. I know that I've done it several times. You can also embed a picture in your post, but that takes up more server space without appreciably improving usability since you can't really see the thumbnail anyway.

Also, recognize that there are shelter photos (and other AT photos) not listed on WhiteBlaze that can be of use. It may be worth it to take the time to do an image search in Google on the name of the shelter.

Kerosene
02-05-2006, 11:44
Recognize that there is a particular etiquette needed when trying to communicate by text in e-mail or over bulletin boards. First, avoid language that can be perceived as critical, especially when you're unfamiliar with the environment. Second, while sarcasm certainly has it's place and can be fun without condescending, it's difficult to pull off without really pissing off someone. Use it sparingly, and go overboard to make it clear that you're just teasing.

Fiddler
02-05-2006, 12:06
So, while I'm paying $800 per month (seriously) to view this content, It takes several minutes to load EVERY page. I can take HOURS to find pictures of value.
Is a public library located within driving/hiking distance of where you live? If so go use their computer(s). At any of them I've ever visited you get an hour's time (more if no one else is waiting their turn) free of charge. You could do in an hour at the library what it would take all day to do on a cell phone link.

Big Dawg
02-05-2006, 12:06
And yet despite the hardship and adversity, you can find the time to plan a thru-hike.....

Yea, why not. Seems like that would be a better time to hike than if you had a stable home/life.

MisterSweetie
02-05-2006, 12:59
Interestingly, outside the scope of this website, a very simple google search would turn up information on almost any shelter on the AT that you want.

http://images.google.com/images?q=blood%20mountain%20shelter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wi

Just type the shelter name ("Blood Mountain Shelter") and then search "images". That turned up two pages worth of relevant images for me.

attroll
02-05-2006, 14:56
I did have pictures of the shelters originally in the shelter listing when I first started the project. But I ran into problems and removed the pictures. Since then I have learned a lot more on the programing side of this software and I can do it now. It is just time consuming to do. I will try and add the picture back in the future.

saimyoji
02-05-2006, 15:42
Thanks for all the hard work you do for us Troll. :clap

Big Dawg
02-05-2006, 15:59
ditto!!!!!!!!

timhines
02-05-2006, 16:24
I appreciate it too.
I tried posting some pics but I have no clue if I put them in the right place.

::bits tongue::

TJ aka Teej
02-05-2006, 17:58
One OBVIOUS suggestion would be to include a picture of a shelter in the shelter and miles list. I really don't care about the politics about whose pictures, but there needs to be at least ONE picture for each shelter. There are a lot of shelters that don't have photos here. It is an enourmous PITA to have to navigate all over this board to find pictures of shelters only to discover that there are no pictures in the post!

Why is seeing a picture of a shelter before you hike to it so important to you?

Heater
02-05-2006, 18:20

Sorry to hear about your hardships. Hope things get better soon.
Wow $800 a month! I second the library suggestion.

Maybe, intellegence isn't normally associated with hikers around here or at least INNOVATION isn't. My respectful suggestion is valid.

Now you are just being rude.

Most hikers on this board are intelligent and innovative enough to figure out a way to avoid a $800 per month internet cost. Does your trailer have wheels? Think about moving it somewhere that has electricity! If that is not an option try a generator. Many RV'ers use Directv/Directway for TV and DSL satellite service on the road so it can be done for MUCH less that $800 a month.

Inn Keeper
02-05-2006, 18:47
Yes, my response was sarcastic and if I offended you please take my apologies. If you think I'm a stupid unintelligent jerk it's your right to do so, but don't use the plural, as I was the only one answering your post.

To contribute at least something constructive:

If you look for the picture of a particular shelter
1) Go to the Galleries Homepage
2) Scroll down to Shelter Galleries
3) Pick the state

In some sub-categories the shelters are sorted by shelter names, in others they are mixed. But as most of the pics have titels a search within the gallery may produce the desired result.

Have a nice day.Why don't you and a few more of these NY chicken sht Eff heads pleague trailplace.com , trash like you are ruining a good program being here

gargamel
02-05-2006, 19:23
Why don't you and a few more of these NY chicken sht Eff heads pleague trailplace.com , trash like you are ruining a good program being here

I love you too man :D

saimyoji
02-05-2006, 20:01
I too reacted in a big way to this person's post. However, we must acknowledge that sometimes people are upset, excited, overworked, drunk...etc. and say things they may regret. I've done so on occaision. I'm sure that brz doesn't want to alienate the ENTIRE hiking community for a few shelter pics. Whatever. They're out there, look around.

digger51
02-06-2006, 03:17
For $800 a month to view this site I would probably drive to Harpers Ferry and buy every book they had and look at all the photos there. And probably still have enough left over for a double cheeseburger.

MOWGLI
02-06-2006, 07:25
If I were the Admin, I'd really curtail the photo section of the site. Photos eat up much of the bandwidth and take much of the mystery out of the trail. I'm with TJ. Why does anybody "need" to see shelter photos. They are just 3-sided structures out in the woods. Some are larger than others.

But yes, lets try and be a bit respectful of one another as we post here.

Heater
02-06-2006, 11:19
If I were the Admin, I'd really curtail the photo section of the site. Photos eat up much of the bandwidth and take much of the mystery out of the trail. I'm with TJ. Why does anybody "need" to see shelter photos. They are just 3-sided structures out in the woods. Some are larger than others.

But yes, lets try and be a bit respectful of one another as we post here.

It uses up lots of storage, yes. It only uses bandwidth when people view the files.

MOWGLI
02-06-2006, 11:28
It uses up lots of storage, yes. It only uses bandwidth when people view the files.

I understand Austex. I come from an IT background. Why else are the photos on there if not to view them though?

My point was/is, photos of the shelters are not required for planning purposes. That was asserted by the originator of this thread. They are like a luxury item that you carry in your pack. Nice to have, but far from necessary.

Rain Man
02-06-2006, 16:49

Sounds to me a bit like Reagan saying "If you've see one redwood tree, you've seen them all."

I happen to like shelter photos and even privy photos, more than people photos of people I don't know, never heard of, and will never see.

I think of WhiteBlaze as an information gold mine, and a picture speaks a thousand words, so I vote more photos and fewer words, if anything.

For starters, why do we need photos of turtles on beaches, or glaciers in Alaska, or mountains in Nepal, or ANYTHING 99.99% unrelated to the AT. There are sites for non-AT interests. I think the Administrators should start out by prohibiting non-AT photos, if there's a need to restrict file storage size or bandwidth usage. Next, ... restrict about all of those threads that get hijacked by potty-mouthed dimwitted egotists. THEN talk to me about shelter photos.

Rain:sunMan

Lump76
02-06-2006, 19:29
I think if I was paying $800 a month for my cell phone service, I'd find a different provider. Most providers offer a package with unlimited web access... and it aint anywhere near $800/month. Maybe BRZ has been calling a few too many 900 numbers. (Just kidding, don't flame me)