PDA

View Full Version : Article on AT

sarahtuff
02-05-2006, 08:55
Hi there,

I'm writing a small story on the AT and was wondering if a few folks might be able to provide some tips on the following. I certainly understand not wanting to give away some information for fear that sections of trail might get overused, but as a hiker myself I can assure you the story will take this into account. Anyway, my questions are below and my deadline is Tues, Feb. 7, so if anyone has a moment to post or send me an e-mail I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance!

Sarah

1. Better to be a NoBo or SoBo and why?
2. For either, what is absolute optimal time frame and why for a thru-hike (ie, April 12 to Sept 3 for X Y and Z reasons)?
3. Best section for a weeklong hike and why?
4. Best section for a weekend hike and why?
5. Typically best spots for trail magic/trail angels?
6. Any other "insider" tips?

Fullmoon & Piglet
02-05-2006, 09:08
Hello Sarahtuff! Welcome to Whiteblaze. Is the 'Small Story' for a magazine? I can't wait to read the replies.

hopefulhiker
02-05-2006, 09:13
I think it is better to be NoBo because 80% of the thru hikers hike that direction. The hostels and events seem to be timed for the Northbounder... There is a momentum to it..
I prefer to leave from Springer in March
Good week long section hikes would be.. The Smokeys, The Shenedoahs in VA, The 100 mile wilderness in ME,
Good weekend trips would be the Roan Mtn area, Fontana, Dragons Tooth and Tinkers Cliffs.

Fullmoon & Piglet
02-05-2006, 09:28
[quote=hopefulhiker]I think it is better to be NoBo because 80% of the thru hikers hike that direction. The hostels and events seem to be timed for the Northbounder... There is a momentum to it.. All is true, but being out there is the important thing. Living life and not being afraid to take that first step is what matters. So many people are afraid. We live our lives out of fear and never have the guts to do what we really want. I hate to give credit to an overgrown mega company, but Nike has it right. Just do it.

2. There are some limitations, i.e. Baxter Park 'closing' on October 15th, but again being out there is the important part. Yes, most people start in March or April and head north, but like most things our country today, we follow instead of lead.

Peaks
02-05-2006, 10:18
If you read the various threads on Whiteblaze, you should find the answers to all your questions.

Why do most go northbound? Rather than expound on the benefits of NOBO, consider Baxter State Park. It is way up there in Maine. Katahdin is usually still closed due to ice and snow until after Memorial Day. Now, most hikers do not have the patience to wait all spring for Katahdin to open. So, those that plan to go from one end to the other, usually start in the South.

lobster
02-05-2006, 12:54
To finish on such a magnificent peak as Katahdin is a nice factor in heading north. Some folk will disagree considering there is quite often more solitude in finishing at Springer Mountain.

mdionne
02-05-2006, 16:03
[QUOTE=sarahtuff]1. Better to be a NoBo or SoBo and why?
SoBos run into bugs, weather and the hard terrain right away. NoBos avoid that but get stuck with crowds of people instead.

2. For either, what is absolute optimal time frame and why for a thru-hike (ie, April 12 to Sept 3 for X Y and Z reasons)?
the most popular time to start a NoBo hike is the end/beginning of march/april to sept/oct before oct. 15th. i think the most popular time to start a Sobo hike is June and ending sometime in Nov or Dec.

100 mile wilderness, smokies, snp (blue blazes), presiential range

mahoosic notch, franconia rige, grayson highlands, roan mt, bigelow range, and many others

usually around trail towns but i noticed more trail side trail angels in the beginning of my hike (NoBo)

yes, there is a lot of bickering that goes on between hikers about what makes an AT thru hiker. avoid anyone at all costs having that conversation.:D

good luck with your article.

generoll
02-05-2006, 21:10
best weekend hike.

in my opinion it's the loop around Standing Indian campground near Franklin, N.C. you can start and finish from your car and never have to backtrack.

weary
02-05-2006, 21:41
Hi there......
1. Better to be a NoBo or SoBo and why?
1. There is no better or worse. They are two different, but equal hikes. I could write a book on the differences. Your chore is to write an article on same.

2. OPtimal time frame is whatever a hiker wants for weather and trail companions. I think in the south April 1 is probably optimal in terms of spring flowers in the southern Appalachians.

For southbounders, I prefer July 4, mostly to allow high water levels to subside in the streams and for the black fly season to subside in the hills.

3. The best week long hike varies so widely with season and location, and hiker desires that one answer is impossible. I like the 100-mile=wilderness in Maine for a summer walk. The trail is remote, not too strenuous, and uncrowded. Equally good is the Mahoosuc Range, straddling the Maine-New Hampshire border.

4. There are a thousand best sections for a weekend hike, depending mostly on where you are starting from. IN Maine either the Bigelows or Gulf Hagas make the best use of a two or three day walk.

5. There is no best place for trail magic. It's a silly practice, done mostly by people with a desire to thru hike, but who lack the resources or courage. Providing goodies to middleclass yuppies allows them to experience vicariously in the exploits of the braver or luckier. Thru hikers who think about it, find trail magic a bit embarrassing -- though we all participate. Surely, in this overpopulatred world, there are far more important charitable needs, including the trail itself

6. No. I've got into enough trouble already.

Weary www.matlt.org

rickb
02-07-2006, 12:45
6. No. I've got into enough trouble already.

Here's one. Rather than buying expensive Leki pole which dig up the trail, get thee to the woods and cut thyself a stout alder staff. Go to a hardware store and buy a critch tip for the end.

;-)

Gray Blazer
02-07-2006, 12:46
Is a critch the same as a crutch?