PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle from Newfoundland Gap to Gatlinburg

TSWisla
09-24-2017, 16:45
I have been searching the net and placed several calls. Most numbers have been disconnected. I need a shuttle Oct 2 from Newfoundland Gap to Gatlinburg. Walk in the Woods is already booked. Any other suggestions?

Bmelee
09-24-2017, 16:53
Easiest way is to hitchhike. October is the busiest month in the Smokies so there should be a zillion people at Newfound Gap parking lot if the sun is up. Most are heading back down to Gatlinburg and many will give a thru hiker a lift. Beware, though, the traffic is abominable on October weekends and it can take up to 2 hours to make that drive in late afternoon.

HooKooDooKu
09-24-2017, 17:55
AAA Hiker Service (http://www.aaahikerservice.com/SHUTTLE.html) is another company I've used in GSMNP

TNhiker
09-24-2017, 18:16
easiest hitch in the Park.....

stand at the exit of the parking lot and you'll have a ride in minutes......

TSWisla
09-24-2017, 19:20
easiest hitch in the Park.....

stand at the exit of the parking lot and you'll have a ride in minutes......

Is it really that easy? Someone will offer? How will I get back?

I tried AAA, still waiting for a reply.

Slow Trek
09-24-2017, 23:24
If hitching is not your thing,we used a local cab company. Phone number was in AWOL,I think. Prompt,but 40 bucks one way.

TNhiker
09-24-2017, 23:31
Is it really that easy? Someone will offer? How will I get back?

I tried AAA, still waiting for a reply.

so are you looking for a trip just into town and then back?

can hitchhike both directions......

parking lot of newfound gap and then down by the visitors center at sugarlands are good places to try for rides...

or hitch into town from the gap and get either an uber/lyft/taxi cab back up to the top...

or have the shuttle company get you at the gap and then take ya back up there......

rmitchell
09-25-2017, 07:27
There used to be a daily shuttle between Gatlinburg and Cherokee with stop at Newfound Gap. Anyone know if that is still running?

The OP is traveling on a Monday so traffic would be lighter but I would imagine a hitch would be easy. I have been offered a ride walking on Clingman's Dome road between trailheads without asking.

Tennessee Viking
09-25-2017, 09:05
Check with NOC. Or hitch. Or contact Standing Bear, SMHC, or CMC for suggested shuttlers/contacts.

Gambit McCrae
09-25-2017, 09:42
My vote would be hitchhike. Prolly the safest hitch on the trail is 441 down into Gburge. Weekend tourist in minivans, taking a walk on the wild side picking up a backpacker. I have picked up a hiker many times driving up from gburge.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2017, 12:44
hitch. it's easy

SoFlo
09-25-2017, 17:53
I posted the same question last year for an October section trip. As is posted from the good folks here... Just Hitch it. You'll be glad you did.
https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/113450-GSMNP-Re-Supply-at-NewFound-Gap?highlight=

Ashepabst
09-26-2017, 12:00
There used to be a daily shuttle between Gatlinburg and Cherokee with stop at Newfound Gap. Anyone know if that is still running?

Nah, they don't do that anymore (it was Cherokee Transit)