PDA

View Full Version : Seek Outside Unaweep

wiiawiwb
09-26-2017, 20:00
I've been looking at this pack and it provides a lot of the things I'm looking for. It doesn't have a zipper on the pack. What I am not sure about is whether not having access to the contents within it at different levels is an issue or not. I've always had that in every pack I've ever had.

Has this been a problem for others?

egilbe
09-26-2017, 20:24
Not for me, but I have pouches for my snacks, I don't reach into my pack very often. I hike, when I’m tired, I camp. Only time I need to reach into my pack is to pull out my tent.

wiiawiwb
09-26-2017, 20:41
The times I do need to access my pack is to grab a fleece vest because I feel chilled or a sudden rain came out of no where and I need to get my goretex jacket. In the case of the unaweep, I think (hope) they will fit in the Base talon.

https://seekoutside.com/unaweep-4800-backpack/#reviews

egilbe
09-26-2017, 20:54
You can fit them in between the base talon and the pack. Or get the mesh talon and stuff them in it.

oldwetherman
09-26-2017, 21:01
It really is not a problem. A talon and a top lid add a few ounces of weight but can hold anything you'll need during the day.

Tipi Walter
09-26-2017, 22:11
We're having an active discussion on Seek Outside here---

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/see-outside-unaweep-or-revolution/#comments

Regarding pack access at different levels---It does have top access of course and if you pack carefully you can plan to have what you need at the top---water filter, snacks, rain jacket etc.

You link pic shows the Unaweep with an added Merlin daypack---used as an outside pocket (not part of the Unaweep purchase). I would probably get this daypack to boost pack volume. Having this daypack would offer separate outside access to gear of course.

And currently there IS NO top lid option, although I hear a lid is coming. The Talon sheet is also optional and not part of the pack. It's a good option I think if you want to sandwich in bulky items like clothing and a sleeping pad. But be warned, the Talon does not attach using the pictured side release buckles---and instead they have switched to Gatekeeper connectors.

wiiawiwb
09-26-2017, 23:33
The Merlin doesn't interest me. It weighs 14 oz, provides 1,400ci and the harness can't be removed. I'd move up from the Unaweep 4,800 to the 6,300, get an additional 100ci, save 8oz, and save $80. Granted, it doesn't solve the quick access of a rain jacket and fleece vest unless they can fit into the Base Talon which is included in the price of the Unaweep. I suspect they can fit as it is supposed to accommodate 1,000ci.

In the alternative, as has been stated above, I could put them in a stuff sack and have it between the stuff sack and Talon. I was told as well that the lid will be coming so it is another arrow for the quiver.

The GK connectors do not have me thrilled. I need to find out what's involved removing them and replacing with buckles.

egilbe
09-27-2017, 07:11
Oh, I dont like how they’ve changed the belt buckles. The pull sideways is a deal breaker for me. I’m happy I purchased my Unaweep when I did. They should have copied the design of Six Moon Designs pack if theybwanted ro use dual buckles.

ScareBear
09-27-2017, 22:26
We're having an active discussion on Seek Outside here---

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/see-outside-unaweep-or-revolution/#comments

Regarding pack access at different levels---It does have top access of course and if you pack carefully you can plan to have what you need at the top---water filter, snacks, rain jacket etc.

You link pic shows the Unaweep with an added Merlin daypack---used as an outside pocket (not part of the Unaweep purchase). I would probably get this daypack to boost pack volume. Having this daypack would offer separate outside access to gear of course.

And currently there IS NO top lid option, although I hear a lid is coming. The Talon sheet is also optional and not part of the pack. It's a good option I think if you want to sandwich in bulky items like clothing and a sleeping pad. But be warned, the Talon does not attach using the pictured side release buckles---and instead they have switched to Gatekeeper connectors.

The thought of Tipi having a conversation on backpackingLIGHT.com..........

SWODaddy
09-27-2017, 22:43
Oh, I dont like how they’ve changed the belt buckles. The pull sideways is a deal breaker for me. I’m happy I purchased my Unaweep when I did. They should have copied the design of Six Moon Designs pack if theybwanted ro use dual buckles.

I don't like the new buckle setup either. I'm a little nervous about possibly losing weight and needing a new belt....

RockChucker30
10-09-2017, 16:23

I don't like the new buckle setup either. I'm a little nervous about possibly losing weight and needing a new belt....

Regarding the new belt - the reason behind it is survivability & user replacement. Our old system used a 1.5" buckle and a 1.5" ladderlock that was bartacked in. If the ladderlock broke...well, you're out of luck until a replacement belt arrives. If we had added a triglide arrangement to make the ladderlock replaceable, well you're still out of luck because you'll never source a 1.5" ladderlock at most gear stores. Same deal with four 1" ladderlocks. The current system is two 1" side release buckles which are very easy to source, very strong, and very reliable.

User feedback on the new belt has been much better than I anticipated. I've heard from multiple people that the new belt fits better. A couple of users had hip numbness with the old belt and not with the new. Adjusting top to bottom tension helps a lot.

Lastly, with a 1" G-Hook or Bachelor Buckle to attach the tag end of the belt webbing to a loop of PALS you can rig up a highly effective pull forward belt closure. We've been kicking around advertising this as an option for pull forward fans. Not sure that will happen or not.

grubbster
10-09-2017, 18:32
I have the divide and I do like the dual buckle setup on the hipbelt. The reason I like it is that I sometimes wear pants and usually have some kind of belt to hold them up on my non-existent hips. The dual buckles are easy to line up above and below my pants belt buckle. A single buckle will invariably be right on top of my pants belt which is very uncomfortable. I do like reverse pull straps but I have not had a problem tightening these buckles.