PDA

View Full Version : Cooking on the trail

willbor58
09-26-2017, 21:38
Hey guys I am doing research into cooking on the trail and figuring out what people use in terms of boilers, dehydration and stoves. I have a survey here it would really help me get a better understanding on how cooking is done on the trail.

You can either comment below on some of your favorite techniques, preferred methods, tips and tricks and/ or take my short survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WSYS97Z

Thanks!

-willbor58

moldy
09-27-2017, 08:56
I guess, by reading the questions, you have never hiked before. That question about how many hours it takes to do meal prep was the big tell. If it were expressed in seconds it would be more correct. My first question to you is; what is cooking?. If it's to boil water to hydrate some food. That's not cooking. Nor is heating up some packaged or canned food. That is the vast, and I mean vast amount of meal prep on the AT. Although, I saw a hunter roasting a rabbit once years ago over the camp fire years ago at a shelter, I guess he was cooking.

JPritch
09-27-2017, 12:11
I just boil a cup of water and dump it into the dehydrated meal. That's about it.

TNhiker
09-27-2017, 12:55
I guess, by reading the questions, you have never hiked before. That question about how many hours it takes to do meal prep was the big tell. If it were expressed in seconds it would be more correct. My first question to you is; what is cooking?. If it's to boil water to hydrate some food. That's not cooking. Nor is heating up some packaged or canned food. That is the vast, and I mean vast amount of meal prep on the AT. Although, I saw a hunter roasting a rabbit once years ago over the camp fire years ago at a shelter, I guess he was cooking.

Well---it is a spam post..

Look at OP's traffic---two posts and they are both about this "survey"...

Hikes in Rain
09-27-2017, 13:12
Is toasting spam on a stick over a fire cooking? :-?

boshettee
09-27-2017, 14:01

Ah....a culinary chef!

HooKooDooKu
09-27-2017, 14:24
The basic definition of cooking is "to prepare food by the use of heat". So I'd say that qualifies.

But then again, with that definition, so does the use of the Crotch Pot (http://blog.gossamergear.com/stoveless-camping-crotch-pot).

Hikes in Rain
09-27-2017, 19:56
I'd....never heard of that! Sorta wish I hadn't. :o But the pictures are really good.