PDA

View Full Version : Rain Man Completes the AT Columbus Day Weekend 2017

Rain Man
09-27-2017, 10:32
I will finish the AT at Harpers Ferry on Columbus Day, 2017. :) Just finished off Maine a couple of weeks ago; did all of Vermont in July. Started at Springer Mountain in Georgia on July 31, 2003. Has only taken me 14 years! LOL

I ended a section hike at Bears Den Trail Center hostel a few years back, so I'll begin there on Saturday, October 7th after breakfast in town and hike 8 miles to Blackburn Trail Center for the night. Both these PATC facilities have road access and parking, so I plan to slack-pack Saturday. My wife will be driving our car in support.

On Sunday I'll hike from Blackburn Trail Center about another 8.4 miles to a campsite north of Keys Gap. Keys Gap is a road crossing, so we can slack-pack to there if we want.

Finally, on Monday, Columbus Day morning, I'll hike 3.5 miles into Harpers Ferry to the ATC HQ, where I began a northbound section hike a few years ago. This will finish every step of the way from Georgia to Maine, past every white blaze, for me!

We'll do early lunch to celebrate in Harpers Ferry and have time to drive back home on Columbus Day.

BTW, there are several road crossings and access points, in case you'd like to join in later on any day of the hike, or just join us at the end for the celebratory lunch.

My dog Boone will be hiking with me, other dogs with well-behaved owners are welcome.

The total 3-day weekend hike mileage will be 19.9 miles over moderate to fairly easy terrain. For experienced backpackers, this will be "a walk in the park." In the past, October in Virginia has been beautiful hiking weather!

I already have a couple of folks planning to do this hike with me. If anyone would like to join in, please let me know.

Thought y'all like to know this ol' hiker has become a 2,000-miler. :)

SawnieRobertson
09-27-2017, 11:26
Lovely! I was planning to be at the ALDHA Gathering, but you are tempting me. Congratulations, RM. You have done well for yourself and those who have hiked with you.

Time Zone
09-27-2017, 11:30
Hearty Congratulations - both for your accomplishment to date, and for the final piece still to come!

In this zeitgeist of extraordinary claims - many dubious, FKT and otherwise - I have greater admiration for one who has been able to enjoy many years of hiking the trail, and enjoying it at his own pace, instead of trying to get the experience over as soon as possible. IDK if you're in the running for "SKT", but my guess is that you look back on the last 14 years as time well spent. It's terrific that your spouse is so supportive of your effort as well.

Tennessee Viking
09-27-2017, 12:03
Glad to run into you at US421 years back.

TJ aka Teej
09-27-2017, 12:24
Wicked, Rain Man!

rocketsocks
09-27-2017, 12:59
Comin' around the club house turn, Congrats!

Hikes in Rain
09-27-2017, 13:06
What an amazing achievement! Well done, sir!

rickb
09-27-2017, 13:31
Excellent.

I hope you enjoy those few miles into Harpers Ferry to to max!

daddytwosticks
09-27-2017, 16:07
Congratulations! Completing the trail as a section hiker takes a ton of commitment. :)

zig-zag man
09-27-2017, 16:35
I will finish the AT at Harpers Ferry on Columbus Day, 2017. :) Just finished off Maine a couple of weeks ago; did all of Vermont in July. Started at Springer Mountain in Georgia on July 31, 2003. Has only taken me 14 years! LOL

I ended a section hike at Bears Den Trail Center hostel a few years back, so I'll begin there on Saturday, October 7th after breakfast in town and hike 8 miles to Blackburn Trail Center for the night. Both these PATC facilities have road access and parking, so I plan to slack-pack Saturday. My wife will be driving our car in support.

On Sunday I'll hike from Blackburn Trail Center about another 8.4 miles to a campsite north of Keys Gap. Keys Gap is a road crossing, so we can slack-pack to there if we want.

Finally, on Monday, Columbus Day morning, I'll hike 3.5 miles into Harpers Ferry to the ATC HQ, where I began a northbound section hike a few years ago. This will finish every step of the way from Georgia to Maine, past every white blaze, for me!

We'll do early lunch to celebrate in Harpers Ferry and have time to drive back home on Columbus Day.

BTW, there are several road crossings and access points, in case you'd like to join in later on any day of the hike, or just join us at the end for the celebratory lunch.

My dog Boone will be hiking with me, other dogs with well-behaved owners are welcome.

The total 3-day weekend hike mileage will be 19.9 miles over moderate to fairly easy terrain. For experienced backpackers, this will be "a walk in the park." In the past, October in Virginia has been beautiful hiking weather!

I already have a couple of folks planning to do this hike with me. If anyone would like to join in, please let me know.

Congratulations on your achievement!

KCNC
09-27-2017, 17:32

For some reason I found this exceptionally touching.

Congratulations on your accomplishment. I've been dreaming of the AT off and on since I was ten years old. I managed an entire kilometer this summer (mostly on a fluke during a trip to Asheville) and intend to finish the task as soon as can be arranged, hopefully in the next few years.

I'll be with you in spirit, enjoy the views!

Sovi
09-27-2017, 18:42
Congrats Rain Man.

rustmd
09-27-2017, 20:30
have not met you Rain Man but enjoy reading your posts/comments here on WB. i volunteer at ATC on tuesdays, so if you stick around in HF, stop by and say hello.

congratulations on a huge milestone! my quest took me 11 years. . .loved every minute of it.

.com

Teacher & Snacktime
09-27-2017, 21:00
Wish I could be there!

Rain Man
09-27-2017, 23:16
Comin' around the club house turn, Congrats!

Certainly enjoyed hiking in PA with you, rocketsocks!

Rain Man
09-27-2017, 23:17
Glad to run into you at US421 years back.

Yes, me too! If I can find it, I'll post that pic of you and me. :)

Rain Man
09-27-2017, 23:18
Lovely! I was planning to be at the ALDHA Gathering, but you are tempting me. Congratulations, RM. You have done well for yourself and those who have hiked with you.

Oh, Sawnie, do let me tempt you successfully! I remember so fondly all your help for me and my family as I/we hiked in Grayson Highlands and up toward Sugar Grove! Would love to see you again!

TwoSpirits
09-28-2017, 04:40
Looks like I might cross paths with you on Saturday, as I hike southbound on what is effectively the beginning of my section-quest of the Trail (I don't consider my failed attempt in Maine a couple years ago as "counting".)

I am in awe of your accomplishment, and have tremendous respect for your persistence and tenacity in reaching your goal. That is an inspiration for me, and I'm going to take it as a good omen that I will share a small piece of the Trail with you, even for a moment.

Congratulations!

JPritch
09-28-2017, 08:50
Congratulations! I hope to be like you in a few years as well. That is a great accomplishment to do a section hike of any long trail. The logistics, never quite getting those trail legs, and just having to stick to something for over a decade says alot. Great job.

Ashepabst
09-28-2017, 10:09
well done, sir. congratulations.

Deacon
09-28-2017, 10:27
Yes, congratulations. I see this as one of life’s great accomplishments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just Bill
09-28-2017, 12:04
A premature congrats, lol.
Ain't over til it's over... :banana

T.S.Kobzol
09-28-2017, 15:36
Congratulations!

Tipi Walter
09-28-2017, 16:32
THIS IS RAIN MAN DAY!! And in honor of you and your accomplishment I share these important fotogs!!

Rain Man on the BMT in Moss Gap (with Randy)

Taking a needed break after pulling State Line Ridge and down the Brookshire!

Tending a fire on the lower part of the Brookshire trail.

Still Life with Hammock.

Preparing to shove off with Patrick Patman Patmananda

Stopping on the South Fork Citico trail for some pics.

Rain Man's 85 lb pack---ginormous for a 3 day trip. What the heck is he packing???!!!

The lonely walk of a forlorn soul . . . . or me behind trying to catch up to him.

Washing out MY underwear for me. How thoughtful. Just kidding, gathering water by Citico Creek.

Nashville meetup trip into the Citico wilderness and on the South Fork trail.

Two girlie men in headnets with a Strong Woman Ain't Afriad of No Stinking Bugs between us. Left to right---Uncle Rain, USMC vet Sarah, and Uncle Sphincter.

Rain Man crossing the big muddy, old man river, old blue, the great Misi ziibi---actually its just South Fork Creek in the Citico.

Climbing the South Fork Hell Nut.

All trips must end---this one ended tragically . . . . just kidding.

oldwetherman
09-28-2017, 20:59
Congratulations!

drifter
09-28-2017, 21:42
Way to go, congrats!

Rain Man
09-28-2017, 22:23
THIS IS RAIN MAN DAY!!

Oh man oh man, what memories! Can't wait to make some more!

JC13
09-29-2017, 08:59
Congratulations in advance!

Dogwood
09-29-2017, 18:28
You're committed. ;) :banana

Patrickjd9
09-30-2017, 09:12
Congratulations! I passed 1300 miles finished this month, hoping for the same celebration in 2020--my guess is that I will finish in NY/NJ.

T-Rx
09-30-2017, 09:28
Congratulations! Awesome accomplishment Rain Man!

ScareBear
09-30-2017, 09:30
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

One heck of an accomplishment. So few who try actually win. You've won.

Rain Man
09-30-2017, 12:57
Congratulations! I passed 1300 miles finished this month, hoping for the same celebration in 2020--my guess is that I will finish in NY/NJ.

Because I summitted Katahdin in '04 when I drove up to pick up my thru-hiker daughter, that was out as a finish point for me, so I had to select where I wanted to finish otherwise should I keep on and complete the trail. Harpers Ferry seemed a logical place for me, so I skipped the section from Bears Den to HF on purpose, for that purpose. Not that it's all that important where someone finishes, of course.

When asked over the years if I planned to do the entire thing, I always said "no, I simply intend to keep hiking the AT as long as I'm enjoying it." Well, I kept enjoying it (mostly)! ;)

Teacher & Snacktime
09-30-2017, 13:30
Because I summitted Katahdin in '04 when I drove up to pick up my thru-hiker daughter, that was out as a finish point for me, so I had to select where I wanted to finish otherwise should I keep on and complete the trail. Harpers Ferry seemed a logical place for me, so I skipped the section from Bears Den to HF on purpose, for that purpose. Not that it's all that important where someone finishes, of course.

When asked over the years if I planned to do the entire thing, I always said "no, I simply intend to keep hiking the AT as long as I'm enjoying it." Well, I kept enjoying it (mostly)! ;)

How about making this your only SOBO hike and finishing at Bear's Den? ( I know, I'm a woman of low morals to even suggest such a thing! :D )

clusterone
09-30-2017, 21:04
Outstanding! Way to see it through.

steve_zavocki
10-01-2017, 07:23
Congrats, I hope to do the same in 7-10 yrs. I will likely also finish in HF. I almost would have been out there with you now but had to cancel an 8 day trip NB from Elkwallow due to a surprise son being born any day now. I am at 18.5% now and will make the one fifth mark in Dec. I am glad you posted this and letting us share in your accomplishment.

hopetofinish
10-01-2017, 15:06
Congratulations Rain Man!
Been following your trek for many years.
Way to go!

4shot
10-01-2017, 18:50
congrats Rain Man. The emotions felt on the day of completion are beyond words. And, mixed in with everything else will be feelings of sadness I suspect. Somehow, someway deep down we just really don't want it to be over. Even though we question our own sanity at times during the journey.Well done sir.

CrumbSnatcher
10-01-2017, 19:20
congrats...................!

McPick
10-01-2017, 23:32
Ah Rain Man... Even tho I've never had the pleasure, it's been a pleasure! Especially grateful for those vital communications we had a few years back.
I endured the 'post AT blues' twice. I can't imagine dealing with it 14 times! WHOA
However, I join all AT hikers in extending my heartiest and sincerest congratulations.
You sir, have done something extraordinary.

See ya!

Tennessee Viking
10-02-2017, 09:23
Yes, me too! If I can find it, I'll post that pic of you and me. :)

Let me know if you try out the Mountains to Sea Trail for your next trail project.

FishBone
10-08-2017, 09:11
Congrats, Rain Man!!!! Always enjoyed hiking with you on the AT. You've always got a bunk available at Casa FishBone up here in the "frozen tundra". Best Wishes!

Speakeasy TN
10-08-2017, 12:10
Congrats RainMan! I'm going to make one more push this Spring to try a thru, and if not, I will adopt your plan and just eat sections as I can. 2,000 is a great accomplishment no matter how its done. After '11 I got tickled when I was telling people I only made 300 miles. Those words don't fit together for most people.

egilbe
10-08-2017, 15:38
Congrats, Rainman! Hope you find a new vacation/obsession/destination

Time Zone
10-08-2017, 16:03
A look at the weather in Harper's Ferry suggests that Rain Man is going to earn his trail name this long weekend. You might say, for him, it's the "appellation" trail.

4shot
10-08-2017, 19:01
Congrats RainMan! I'm going to make one more push this Spring to try a thru, and if not, I will adopt your plan and just eat sections as I can. 2,000 is a great accomplishment no matter how its done. After '11 I got tickled when I was telling people I only made 300 miles. Those words don't fit together for most people.

The AT is truly a strange and wonderful place indeed. It is the only place in the entire world where people will say things like "I'm just going to Harper's Ferry" or "I'm just hiking to Davenport Gap" as if walking 200-1,000 miles is a common, everyday thing. "I'm just going to the store to get some milk and bread. I'll be right back."

Speakeasy TN
10-08-2017, 20:36
Congrats on your 300th post and a grade A pun! Well done!

A look at the weather in Harper's Ferry suggests that Rain Man is going to earn his trail name this long weekend. You might say, for him, it's the "appellation" trail.

4eyedbuzzard
10-09-2017, 02:01
Congrats Rain Man! Is it done?

illabelle
10-09-2017, 05:07
Our 10-year hiking plan will finish in 2020. Like you, we've already done Katahdin. Still have a few weeklong sections to do here and there, and saving the Mahoosucs for the last big trip. But .... we started the AT for our 20th anniversary in November 2010. Mahoosucs aren't very doable for us in that month, so I've saved another special section closer to home, one that includes Beauty Spot. The leaves may be mostly off the trees by then, it may be brisk and cold, but that's okay. For us, where we finish and when we finish and how we finish will matter. I kinda think we may load up some food and do this final piece in a different style, slow walking, contemplating the long journey, building campfires, stretching the miles to fill the time.

So I guess today is The Day for you. Congratulations on your long journey. May you savor each s l o w f o o t s t e p.

linus72
10-09-2017, 13:14
Congrats again Rain Man!

TKE402
10-09-2017, 14:02
Awesome job!!

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
10-09-2017, 21:53
A premature congrats, lol.
Ain't over til it's over... :banana

Is it over?

Rain Man
10-10-2017, 16:41
It's over! Here's a photo from yesterday morning. Started Saturday mid-morning from Bear's Den Trail Center, hiked leisurely 8 miles to Blackburn and spent night there (my wife drove in). Planned to hike Sunday about 8 or 9 miles to a campsite, but trail was so easy I went about 11.5 miles to the edge of Harpers Ferry on the town side of the Hwy 340 bridge across the Shenandoah River. That left 4/10ths of a mile for Monday (Columbus Day) morning. My last day was also to be my shortest day ever on the AT. Spent night at Farmer Chef's & Mama Bear's home nearby. Teacher drove down from Rhode Island!

Monday morning we woke up to a drizzle of rain, but after a hearty breakfast at FC's & MB's, the rain stopped and we caravaned back to HF. Teacher and my pup "Boone" hiked with me and the others went to the ATC HQ to pave the way for my arrival, including a crepe paper "ribbon" for me to break.

The volunteer crew at the ATC had sparkling cider and champagne glasses for all to share. SWEET!

So, my photo is in the official 2017 book! As a 14-year section hiker, I've had many "ends" to hikes on the AT, but always there were others to come to complete the thing. Not this time. Surreal drive home yesterday.

Many, many thanks for all the congrats ... and especially for all the wonderful true "trail magic" of help, support, advice, and friends made along the years.

Rain Man
10-10-2017, 16:54
1. Ready to hit the trail at Bear's Den Trail Center, where I left off some years ago, on Saturday morning.

2. Sign at the north end of the infamous "Roller Coaster," though the three climbs north of Bear's Den were easy (especially after just finishing Maine last month). Also, I met Bobby Lowry on the trail, '79 thru-hiker, who laid out the Roller Coaster with Trail Boss.

3. Blackburn Trail Center, Saturday afternoon. Wife ("Stitch") and I (and our pup "Boone") ran out to a road-side BBQ place for dinner. YUMM.

Rain Man
10-10-2017, 16:56
Trail signs along the way on Sunday! :)

Rain Man
10-10-2017, 17:00
1. What a nice sign!!! It says my last day to complete the AT will be 4/10ths of a mile!!! In nice weather!!!

2. Teacher hiked the last 4/10ths with me! She drove 8.5 hours to be there!

3. Me and my dear wife, Jenny aka "Stitch," and our pup "Boone."

Rain Man
10-10-2017, 17:02
1. I'm not so sure Teacher wasn't happier than I was?! LOL

2. My official Polaroid for the 2017 section-hiker photo album.

3. Cheers!!! (Thank you, ATC volunteer staff!!!)

Recalc
10-10-2017, 17:10
Congratulations Ran Man! Looking forward to hearing about your next endeavor.

rocketsocks
10-10-2017, 17:25
Consultations! What's next for Mr. Myers?

Kaptainkriz
10-10-2017, 18:02
Outstanding!

It's over! Here's a photo from yesterday morning. Started Saturday mid-morning from Bear's Den Trail Center, hiked leisurely 8 miles to Blackburn and spent night there (my wife drove in). Planned to hike Sunday about 8 or 9 miles to a campsite, but trail was so easy I went about 11.5 miles to the edge of Harpers Ferry on the town side of the Hwy 340 bridge across the Shenandoah River. That left 4/10ths of a mile for Monday (Columbus Day) morning. My last day was also to be my shortest day ever on the AT. Spent night at Farmer Chef's & Mama Bear's home nearby. Teacher drove down from Rhode Island!

Monday morning we woke up to a drizzle of rain, but after a hearty breakfast at FC's & MB's, the rain stopped and we caravaned back to HF. Teacher and my pup "Boone" hiked with me and the others went to the ATC HQ to pave the way for my arrival, including a crepe paper "ribbon" for me to break.

The volunteer crew at the ATC had sparkling cider and champagne glasses for all to share. SWEET!

So, my photo is in the official 2017 book! As a 14-year section hiker, I've had many "ends" to hikes on the AT, but always there were others to come to complete the thing. Not this time. Surreal drive home yesterday.

Many, many thanks for all the congrats ... and especially for all the wonderful true "trail magic" of help, support, advice, and friends made along the years.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-10-2017, 20:22

Love that pun! The significance of the weather on his last day wasn't missed by either of us! (But it didn't rain :))

tiptoe
10-10-2017, 20:24
Bravo, Rain Man (and Teacher). Here's to future adventures!

Alligator
10-10-2017, 20:47
Congratulations! Didn't want to jinx you, thought I'd wait until you were finished.

Angle
10-10-2017, 21:21
Congratulations Rain Man!!! Seems long ago that you did the Swatara Gap to DWG section. I had to work yesterday or I would have been there in person to cheer you over the finish line. Iceman

HooKooDooKu
10-10-2017, 22:50
It's over!
I too didn't want to jinx things by offering premature congratulation.

But now that it's official, I offer a heartfelt congratulations. Having recently completed a hiking goal many years in the making myself, I've got a feeling just how you're feeling yourself.

Lauriep
10-11-2017, 07:04
Congratulations, Rain Man! What an awesome thread you have inspired.

I'm sorry I couldn't be there to help celebrate--I was at The Gathering. It looks like you got the royal treatment at ATC, though :-)

But I can bring you a quote from Stumpknocker, who just completed his 7th hike of the A.T. (a section-hike) and can validate what an achievement it is. He's hiked the A.T. twice nobo, twice sobo, and twice as a flip-flopper, but he said the section-hike was by far the hardest way to hike the A.T. We've all heard this from various folks before, including other radical repeaters, but I am pretty sure that no one else has such a measured equal diversity of long-distance experiences on the A.T. as Stumpknocker.

So congratulations on an amazing journey, as well as having the fortitude to keep going back year after year

Laurie P.
ATC

Bearded_Shrek
10-13-2017, 21:35
Well done, Sir. congratulations.

Second Half
10-14-2017, 15:42
Huge congrats Rain Man! I wish I had seen this sooner, although I doubt I would have been able to join you. I am happy to have spent a few days on the trail with you.

fudgefoot
10-14-2017, 20:52
Way to go Rain Man from a fellow section hiker. I've followed your exploits for some time on White Blaze and am very happy you were able to get it done!

PS - I'm finding trail crews are a great way to stay connected to the trail after finishing my hike. Something to consider if you haven't already.

u.w.
10-15-2017, 10:13
It's over! Started Saturday mid-morning from Bear's Den Trail Center, hiked leisurely 8 miles to Blackburn and spent night there (my wife drove in). Planned to hike Sunday about 8 or 9 miles to a campsite, but trail was so easy I went about 11.5 miles to the edge of Harpers Ferry on the town side of the Hwy 340 bridge across the Shenandoah River. That left 4/10ths of a mile for Monday (Columbus Day) morning. My last day was also to be my shortest day ever on the AT. Spent the night at Farmer Chef's & Mama Bear's home nearby. Teacher drove down from Rhode Island!

Huge Congratulations to you RainMan, Well Done! One heckofa accomplishment.

u.w.

gollwoods
10-16-2017, 20:31

Many, many thanks for all the congrats ... and especially for all the wonderful true "trail magic" of help, support, advice, and friends made along the years.Good job rainman I was up at Baxter the last week of Aug.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk