PDA

View Full Version : Ok to use a larger capacity pack that isn't full?

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 05:56
This is kind of a strange question, but I just recently purchased a used Kelty Redcloud 5400 (almost 90L) hiking pack.

For the price, I couldn't pass it up, and it feels great on my back.

But, I will have some space to spare when I get everything in it for my section hike next year. Is it ok to just use the cinch straps on the bag to tighten everything up to keep it from moving around, or should I be looking for a smaller bag that everything I have will fill to capacity?

ScareBear
09-29-2017, 06:18
How much does that beast weigh empty and how much does your gear weigh?

fluffkitten
09-29-2017, 06:19
If its comfortable there is no reason not to use it that I can see.

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 06:22
Still acquiring gear, so don't have a base weight just yet.

BUT it does weigh right under 6lbs. Doesn't feel like it on the back, which is why I snagged it up

Deacon
09-29-2017, 06:26
One of the big pluses of external frame packs, is they carry the same regardless of how loaded they are. You should be fine, even if only half full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maineiac64
09-29-2017, 06:51
Still acquiring gear, so don't have a base weight just yet.

BUT it does weigh right under 6lbs. Doesn't feel like it on the back, which is why I snagged it up

A lot of people have pack, bag, pad, and tent that combined weigh under 6 lbs. Every ounce counts.

daddytwosticks
09-29-2017, 07:07
Be careful or you WILL fill it up. :)

Turtle-2013
09-29-2017, 07:12
The only problem with the weight of the pack is the weight ... not of the load, but of the pack.

That said, how long is the section you are doing? ...if it is relatively short, say a week or so, go for it. There is no teacher so great as is experience (assuming the experience doesn't kill you), and one week with a heavy pack will be a great experience, a great teacher. IF on the other hand you are doing a LONG section (weeks or months on the trail) ... then do some short trial hikes first so that YOU can decide if it is worth it or not to carry all that extra, unnecessary, weight.

When I was younger man I carried a Kelty Serac, no cinch straps, 6500 cu in, if I remember correctly, inside the pack ... plus I had the top bar for my tent, and straps on the back for my poles and pad ... it is a beast of a pack ... I loved it, I still do. I regularly carried 43-45# plus any water I was carrying. BUT, on the AT my base weight is 12# ... my pack is 1lb 10.4oz ... I'm glad I'm not carrying that much weight anymore. But, it is a choice I've made now that I'm not a young as I used to be.

Basically, I would encourage you to get your own experience ... so you can make your own choices!!!!

Venchka
09-29-2017, 07:28
Kelty doesn't automatically mean external frame.
https://www.rei.com/product/734303/kelty-red-cloud-5600-pack
As I learned in Wyoming, WhiteBlaze is not indicative of the real world of backpacking.
People find gear they like and use it. If it works for you, use it.
It was neat to find another mid-90s Dana Design pack on the trail. Good gear will always work.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walkinmyshoes
09-29-2017, 07:35
or should I be looking for a smaller bag that everything I have will fill to capacity?
Guess you shouldn't. In my opinion, you can take anything that will fit for you and this is the key point. Thus, if it's ok to use the cinch straps and this is comfy - go on, there's no need to looking for a smaller bag.

Huntmog
09-29-2017, 07:40
I once bought an 85 liter on Craigslist because I couldn't beat the price and figure I could use when I took my kids....

2 years later it has never been used. Why? Its too big and heavy. In this day and age there's really no reason to go over 65 or 70 liters and 3 or 4 #. When I take one son and all of his gear I still use a 70.

If you're hell bent on using it, go load up and hike. Up and down. That's where it gets you the most. The more I hike the more I want less. I spend the most time moving so I personally care more about my pack, my back and my feet than camp comforts .

Venchka
09-29-2017, 07:44
You'll know when you hit the point of diminishing returns in backpacks.
Wayne

rmitchell
09-29-2017, 07:51
There is one of these hanging on my equipment wall. It hasn't been moved in years. It is a internal frame pack, one of the first made. It is very heavy. The brain box is not removable.
That being said it is a good starting point. Dial in your gear, then select a pack that better suits your needs. Just be careful not to overfill it. You could easily get 60 lbs. or more in this beast.
Except for the mesh water bottle pockets it is good for bushwhacking , the material is heavy cordura nylon. Or keep it for a loaner if you invite a friend to hike with you.

Hikingjim
09-29-2017, 08:06
Be careful with your approach to gear. I know you're looking for other items
If you say 6 lbs is ok for a pack, and find a steal on a tent for 6 lbs as well, fast forward and you're going to be carting around 50 lbs when you could have been hauling 20.

Not sure how that pack would ride part full, but it should be ok. It's more about where the weight is positioned on your back (eg: not too much at your lower back, not too much riding too high, etc)

rafe
09-29-2017, 08:11
6 lbs. is a lot, for just the pack.

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 08:13
There is one of these hanging on my equipment wall. It hasn't been moved in years. It is a internal frame pack, one of the first made. It is very heavy. The brain box is not removable.
That being said it is a good starting point. Dial in your gear, then select a pack that better suits your needs. Just be careful not to overfill it. You could easily get 60 lbs. or more in this beast.
Except for the mesh water bottle pockets it is good for bushwhacking , the material is heavy cordura nylon. Or keep it for a loaner if you invite a friend to hike with you.

This is the pack I got. I do wish the brain was removable.

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 08:14
That was my main worry, was how it would ride with just being half full. Didn't know if it would mess up the weight distribution.

cmoulder
09-29-2017, 08:25
There's a reason it was such a "good deal" :o

My pack, shelter, quilt, air mat and pillow together weigh 4.1 lbs.

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 08:45
I understand many people are ultra light weight, but this will be my first backpacking hike, and will be a 3 day section of the AT.

My only worries of my current pack are if I can get the load/balance correct by only filling it halfway, and having the option of filling it all the way up :)

I figure the savings from the pack now gives me a little more extra to go towards a better sleeping bag.

So far I have the Kelty pack, and an REI Passage 1 tent I will be using. Sleeping pad will most likely be a Thermarest CCF.

I am sure after a few section hikes I will get the bug and start going UL, but I want to make sure I get that bug first.

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 08:45
Thanks everyone for all of the info and responses!

JC13
09-29-2017, 08:46
Depending how much you can cinch it down and the volume of your clothing/sleep system, you "should" be able to fill it out to where it carries fine. Tricks include:
Partially inflating your air mattress
Loosely packing your dry bag for sleep clothes and sleeping bag/quilt(aka not bleeding all possible air out and compressing the down/synthetic)

Heck you might even be able to fill volume up by leaving your food bag partially full of air if needed.

Suzzz
09-29-2017, 08:50
My own VERY PERSONAL thoughts on weight :

Ultralight should definitely be the ultimate goal for all of us. The more we carry, whether on our back (backpack) or on our body (extra body fat) makes us work harder on the trail and eventually will take a toll. We might not notice it on a short hike but it's there. The short term result being that it makes us slower and more tired on the trail and the long term less obvious result being a higher risk of injury and premature wear and tear on our body. That being said, ultralight isn't realistic for all of us, in the short term anyway. The high cost of ultralight gear is prohibitive for a lot of hikers, some of it may be considered less comfortable and/or less practical, and some of us just can't leave home without bringing a lot of ''what if'' crap. I'm certainly guilty of this one... but I'm working on it.

So what are we do to? Stay home until we have all the latest and the greatest that the ultralight world has to offer? Certainly not. We all agree that in 2017, a 6lbs backpack in way too heavy. There are many new materials out there and backpacks are getting lighter and lighter everyday. But what if that's all you have? All you can afford? Furthermore, whether you can afford it or not, spending a bunch of money on a new backpack (on any other piece of gear for that matter) before you know, one, if you're going to like long distance hiking, and two, if that particular item fits your personal needs, might be a little premature and a complete waste of money. I certainly have a closet full of unused hiking gear to prove that point.

Personally, I much prefer the word ''lighter'' to the word ''ultralight''. I'd love to be able to leave my house for a week of hiking with 20lbs on my back but realistically, that won't be happening for a while... maybe never. I am proud to say however, that every year my pack gets lighter and lighter. Sometimes thanks to a new piece of gear, sometimes because I was able to let go of one of my ''what if''s. To me, that's a definite win.

So I say take that big bulky beast of a pack on your section hike, but don't be surprised if it's the last time you hike with it. Or maybe you'll be so in love with it that you'll never get another pack but will acquire so many other ultralight items that in the grand scheme of things, the weight penalty will be an acceptable compromise. As they say, to each his own.

Have fun out there and be safe!

cmoulder
09-29-2017, 08:56
I am sure after a few section hikes I will get the bug and start going UL, but I want to make sure I get that bug first.

Fair enough. There are plenty of examples of people who spent megabucks and discovered it wasn't for them. :)

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 08:58
My own VERY PERSONAL thoughts on weight :

Ultralight should definitely be the ultimate goal for all of us. The more we carry, whether on our back (backpack) or on our body (extra body fat) makes us work harder on the trail and eventually will take a toll. We might not notice it on a short hike but it's there. The short term result being that it makes us slower and more tired on the trail and the long term less obvious result being a higher risk of injury and premature wear and tear on our body. That being said, ultralight isn't realistic for all of us, in the short term anyway. The high cost of ultralight gear is prohibitive for a lot of hikers, some of it may be considered less comfortable and/or less practical, and some of us just can't leave home without bringing a lot of ''what if'' crap. I'm certainly guilty of this one... but I'm working on it.

So what are we do to? Stay home until we have all the latest and the greatest that the ultralight world has to offer? Certainly not. We all agree that in 2017, a 6lbs backpack in way too heavy. There are many new materials out there and backpacks are getting lighter and lighter everyday. But what if that's all you have? All you can afford? Furthermore, whether you can afford it or not, spending a bunch of money on a new backpack (on any other piece of gear for that matter) before you know, one, if you're going to like long distance hiking, and two, if that particular item fits your personal needs, might be a little premature and a complete waste of money. I certainly have a closet full of unused hiking gear to prove that point.

Personally, I much prefer the word ''lighter'' to the word ''ultralight''. I'd love to be able to leave my house for a week of hiking with 20lbs on my back but realistically, that won't be happening for a while... maybe never. I am proud to say however, that every year my pack gets lighter and lighter. Sometimes thanks to a new piece of gear, sometimes because I was able to let go of one of my ''what if''s. To me, that's a definite win.

So I say take that big bulky beast of a pack on your section hike, but don't be surprised if it's the last time you hike with it. Or maybe you'll be so in love with it that you'll never get another pack but will acquire so many other ultralight items that in the grand scheme of things, the weight penalty will be an acceptable compromise. As they say, to each his own.

Have fun out there and be safe!

Well said. Thanks Suzzz!

Venchka
09-29-2017, 09:03

We're excited for you.
Some of us can't use those items.
Everyone has different needs.
As long as none of us are carrying a cast iron Dutch Oven and 10 pound bag of charcoal, I think we're gonna be okay given our individual (emphasis on INDIVIDUAL) needs.
That said, I purchased a 63 liter frameless backpack from the Hippies in Victor, Idaho circa 1974. Still viable and still in production today.
Wayne

illabelle
09-29-2017, 09:06
I have 2 packs that I use. One is a 2+ pound Osprey. The other is a 6 pound Deuter. Thing is, I like the Deuter. I like the way it fits me. I like the way it carries my gear. I use the Osprey most of the time, but now and then I'll carry the Deuter, especially if it's not a challenging section or if it's cold weather and I wanna carry more layers.

Sarcasm the elf
09-29-2017, 09:09
There's nothing wrong with a partially empty pack and nothing wrong with a 6lb pack. Just get out there and have fun.
If you go on a few trips and decide that you really have caught the hiking bug then you might want to consider getting a lighter pack that better fits your needs, but experience is the best way to figure out what your needs are in the first place.

Tipi Walter
09-29-2017, 09:17
Be careful or you WILL fill it up. :)

There's nothing wrong with a partially empty pack and nothing wrong with a 6lb pack. Just get out there and have fun.

Fill that baby up!!!!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2017-Trips-79/18-Days-in-the-Emerald-Thicket/i-J9ZMX7n/0/4ca3bd2a/XL/Trip%20183%20%28169%29-XL.jpg

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 09:35
Hah, but I bet that watermelon was good.

Maybe I will just bring a full size pillow. :D

Puddlefish
09-29-2017, 09:43
Extra space in your pack can be bad. Was hiking along with a guy who got the trail name "Deadweight" for a while. As he left for his hike, his buddy said to him "Hey come over here, you have a loose strap" and proceeded to "adjust" it. When he arrived at his destination that night, he found a three pound rock in his pack. He told the story to his new hiking friends and everyone got a good laugh. When he arrived at camp the following night, he'd learned that his new hiker friends had continued the tradition. After that he started checking his pack each morning.

garlic08
09-29-2017, 09:44
Look at the payload to pack weight ratio. If you carry 24 pounds of stuff in a 6 pound pack, I don't think that's very efficient.

An extreme is my 9 oz frameless pack ($80 on sale at Gossamer Gear) carrying 25 pounds of gear, food and water on 100 mile carries. That's a ratio of well over 40 x pack weight, and at an affordable cost.

A more moderate example would be carrying say 30 pounds in a 2.5 pound pack.

Maineiac64
09-29-2017, 10:00
Of course it is HYOH and CYOS, carry your own stuff, but it is worth noting that there are a good range of options for backpacking that can be had for a reasonable investment that will be lighter in weight. I learned this myself the hard way with my first pack being almost 5lbs. Backpacking can be fun but it can be very difficult too and it would be great to have the best experience possible with the gear we select. I guess if you have good fun carrying a 50lb pack when you first get out there then it is going to be sunshine and rainbows at 30lbs.

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 10:26
Then again, I can post my address if anyone wants to send a lighter pack my way ;)

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 10:53
I had originally planned on using a triathlon bag that I have. It is well padded and has a chest strap, and a loop to possibly add a waist strap/belt.

Was going to just buy a nice hiking style fannie pack :eek: to use as the waist strap, but I don't think I will be able to get everything in it. That and it doesn't have an internal frame. Do the UL bags have internal frames?

That is why I got the Kelty and splurged the $20. If I can fit everything in the other bag, I will probably go that route.

peakbagger
09-29-2017, 11:27
I do have a large older Mountainsmith internal frame pack that is way to large for backpacking but great for winter camping.I think its in the 8 pound range. Its load monster (just like the similar Dana Design packs of the era) with all sorts of adjustments to allow carrying a heavy load but it still doesn't fundamentally repeal the law of gravity. On the rare occasion its get used in winter it usually ends up tied into pulk so it can get pulled along behind me in the snow. I rig it so the straps are facing up and if I need to cross a stream or some other obstacle I can disconnect the poles on the pulk and throw the pack and the pulk on my back. I used to use it in canoe on occasion but it wont fit in the hatches of my kayak.

saltysack
09-29-2017, 11:38

[emoji3]my thoughts also....

saltysack
09-29-2017, 11:40
Maybe you could fill the extra volume with helium balloons to offset the weight!!!![emoji16]

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 11:41
Maybe you could fill the extra volume with helium balloons to offset the weight!!!![emoji16]

I like the way you think! :)

In all seriousness, I had no idea it weighed that much until I got home and got on the scale. Would have never guess that much the way it felt on my back.

rickb
09-29-2017, 11:58

This sounds like a great idea, and a concept that has been explored in the past.

Saw this at MASSMOCA in the Trail town of North Adams some years ago. On the far wall behind the floating sleeping bags the freezer was stocked with Ben & Jerrys.

Edit: Changed to reflect that I may not have taken the photo myself - just not sure.

saltysack
09-29-2017, 12:01
This sounds like a great idea, and a concept that has been explored in the past.

Took this photo at MASSMOCA in the Trail town of North Adams some years ago. On the far wall behind the floating sleeping bags the freezer was stocked with Ben & Jerrys.

I'd says that's truly UL![emoji51][emoji106]

Tipi Walter
09-29-2017, 12:40

I just confabulated my pack, shelter, sl. bag, pad and pillow (doubles as down jacket) and it comes to 23 lbs. I must be doing something wrong????:confused:

zig-zag man
09-29-2017, 12:43
You have to be able to shell out some serious bucks to have pack, shelter, and sleep system under 5 lbs.

Venchka
09-29-2017, 12:52
No law against the 4.1 pound pile of gear and 10 days worth of food in a 6 pound pack at a shade over 20 pounds. Right?
10 days is a Righteous Trip.
Of course the same stuff in my 3 pound pack would be under 20 pounds.
It's all good! Just get out. Avoid resupply. Stay gone!
Wayne

cmoulder
09-29-2017, 12:53
I like the way you think! :)

In all seriousness, I had no idea it weighed that much until I got home and got on the scale. Would have never guess that much the way it felt on my back.

Uh, oh... if you're already breaking out the scales you're a prime candidate for the Dark Side, lol. :D

Tipi Walter
09-29-2017, 13:00
No law against the 4.1 pound pile of gear and 10 days worth of food in a 6 pound pack at a shade over 20 pounds. Right?
10 days is a Righteous Trip.
Of course the same stuff in my 3 pound pack would be under 20 pounds.
It's all good! Just get out. Avoid resupply. Stay gone!
Wayne

That my friend is the truth.

Avoiding Resupply also includes these two truths--(My opinion only!!)
** Life is too short to be spent indoors.
** If you're indoors you're a failure, if you're outdoors you're a success.

I'm currently indoors sitting at a computer so I am a failure.;)

egilbe
09-29-2017, 13:43
I just confabulated my pack, shelter, sl. bag, pad and pillow (doubles as down jacket) and it comes to 23 lbs. I must be doing something wrong????:confused:

Ask for help getting that weight down, Tipi. After you have some backpacking experience, you will find what works for you ;)

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 13:46
Uh, oh... if you're already breaking out the scales you're a prime candidate for the Dark Side, lol. :D

Yes, but I don't have a true "ounce" scale, so I am still safe. For now.....

Maineiac64
09-29-2017, 13:52
You have to be able to shell out some serious bucks to have pack, shelter, and sleep system under 5 lbs.

+/- $1500 for the good stuff.

Leo L.
09-29-2017, 14:28
I've started with my Middle East desert hikes many years ago using my good old Lowe Cerro Torre 80+liter pack.
Leaving the airport (all water containers full to the brim) it usually was 25-30 kilos. The pack itself is around 3.5kg.
This went on for many years, and I had lots of fun.

Just recently I got a new Lightwave 65 Liter pack, less than half the weight of the Lowe.
And I still have lots of fun outdoors.

Whats the point?
Its more important to actually do hiking than to discuss about it.

rafe
09-29-2017, 14:44
Define "OK". Yes, you can hike with a heavy pack. No, it will never be optimal.

Alligator
09-29-2017, 14:50
If that watermelon doesn't fill it up, a couple of pieces of dry firewood from home can be used to fill it out.

Seriously though, tighten the side cinches before packing to make it flatter. Or even the lower ones on each side so the weight rides higher. Stuff your tent inside too but take it out of its stuff sack unless you can get in inside horizontally. Depending on how much you tighten the sides, it might not fit in as a tube. Or stand it vertically in the middle. It's not a particularly heavy tent but sometimes it's hard to balance a tent when it is off to the side.

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 15:19
If that watermelon doesn't fill it up, a couple of pieces of dry firewood from home can be used to fill it out.

Seriously though, tighten the side cinches before packing to make it flatter. Or even the lower ones on each side so the weight rides higher. Stuff your tent inside too but take it out of its stuff sack unless you can get in inside horizontally. Depending on how much you tighten the sides, it might not fit in as a tube. Or stand it vertically in the middle. It's not a particularly heavy tent but sometimes it's hard to balance a tent when it is off to the side.

Wouldn't have thought to cinch the sides before loading it. Good stuff!

Turtle-2013
09-29-2017, 15:37
3 day section ... not a problem ... that is a short enough hike to handle whatever you carry...

As to the weight distribution, use the cinch straps to get the weight high and close to you and it will ride just fine ...

Happy Trails!!!

I understand many people are ultra light weight, but this will be my first backpacking hike, and will be a 3 day section of the AT.

My only worries of my current pack are if I can get the load/balance correct by only filling it halfway, and having the option of filling it all the way up :)

I figure the savings from the pack now gives me a little more extra to go towards a better sleeping bag.

So far I have the Kelty pack, and an REI Passage 1 tent I will be using. Sleeping pad will most likely be a Thermarest CCF.

Leo L.
09-29-2017, 15:41
OK, now I looked at pics of this Kelty monster.
Unfortunately its designed in a way that lures you to stuff the outer pockets full, to have easier access.
Especially the huge back pocket is bad if full, as it gives the whole load a very bad center of gravity (too far away from your spine).

If you got this pack really cheap, I'd consider cutting off all those outer pockets (the huge one in the back, and the two on the sides), and leave the top compartment back home.
If this works, you might end up with a very nice ~60 liter pack.

cmoulder
09-29-2017, 15:49

MLD Burn, 13oz, $180
TarpTent Protrail, 26oz, $225
HG Burrow Econ 30 19.5oz, $138
Nemo tensor reg, 13.5oz, $120

Total weight 4.5lb, $663

taylorshiver
09-29-2017, 15:53
OK, now I looked at pics of this Kelty monster.
Unfortunately its designed in a way that lures you to stuff the outer pockets full, to have easier access.
Especially the huge back pocket is bad if full, as it gives the whole load a very bad center of gravity (too far away from your spine).

If you got this pack really cheap, I'd consider cutting off all those outer pockets (the huge one in the back, and the two on the sides), and leave the top compartment back home.
If this works, you might end up with a very nice ~60 liter pack.

I am opening to hacking things off to save a little weight.

Unfortunately this one doesn't have the removable brain up top.

Tipi Walter
09-29-2017, 16:03
Ask for help getting that weight down, Tipi. After you have some backpacking experience, you will find what works for you ;)

After hitting 67 my brain hit Reset and everything's new. Is this what they call the Beginner's Mind??

Once I filled my pack with 10 6lb duraflame firelogs for training purposes.

saltysack
09-29-2017, 16:22
MLD Burn, 13oz, $180
TarpTent Protrail, 26oz, $225
HG Burrow Econ 30 19.5oz, $138
Nemo tensor reg, 13.5oz, $120

Total weight 4.5lb, $663

He's off to a good start! He bought my LHG Solong6......[emoji51]

Venchka
09-29-2017, 16:30
You may as well cut off a personal appendage as cut off functioning pockets.
The biggest loss to cost reduction in backpacks are real pockets.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Wayne

Malto
09-29-2017, 17:09
I would never carry a pack that heavy BUT.....

Since you already have the pack it better to use it and see if walking all day in the woods is for you. If it is look at the bright side. Many people would love to be able to eliminate 4 pounds with one purchase.

Hikingjim
09-29-2017, 17:23
Whats the point?
Its more important to actually do hiking than to discuss about it.

That's true. But I remember some of my first hikes a couple decades ago where I hauled 50-60lbs up and down steep terrain. They could have been MUCH more enjoyable at 25 lbs!
I now reserve the 40-50 lb load for when I am actually going somewhere that requires 20+ lbs of food, extra gear and a serious pack. Otherwise, I find it to be foolishly unnecessary with all the cheap gear options.

Hikingjim
09-29-2017, 17:29

23 lbs? That's getting a touch light. To keep up your identity as the person who hauls a lot of gear, you should probably bring an extra 10 lbs of CCF pads in case you get stuck for a couple years somewhere. You can probably make a life saving raft out of them as well

Dogwood
09-29-2017, 17:32
Sure you can do what your asking but I'm of the opinion of matching the volume and wt of the pack with the load. Perhaps, keep this larger capacity 90 L 5 lb 8 oz pack for your largest hauls while keeping an eye out for a smaller volume lighter wt pack to compliment this one? Perhaps, do as previously suggested. Haul this large somewhat heavy carrier for a wk or more up and down mountains to see if you might want something smaller and less heavy?

Dogwood
09-29-2017, 17:36
I'm of Suzz's opinion that you not talk about being an ULer but seek to go lighter and less encumbered. You're body and emotional standing will benefit.

PGH1NC
09-29-2017, 17:38

I have an Osprey antigravity pack. The antigravity thing didn't work.
The He balloons concept is interesting. How about hydrogen?
Doing some quick research a helium balloon of about 11 feet in diameter should lift 25 pounds.
Hydrogen about a foot smaller.

Venchka
09-29-2017, 18:25
$20 people. All of your well intentioned suggestions cost $100s of dollars.
For $20 Taylorshiver can be out hiking right now.
Taylorshiver: You have a pack. You have a tent. Hit the trail. This someday maybe 3 day section will happen. In the meantime, use what you have. Add as you know what you need to add.
Wayne

El JP
10-05-2017, 02:48
[QUOTE=Venchka;2172026]$20 people. All of your well intentioned suggestions cost $100s of dollars.
Taylorshiver: You have a pack. You have a tent. Hit the trail. This someday maybe 3 day section will happen. In the meantime, use what you have. Add as you know what you need to add.

This is pretty much my approach. What i have is what i have. I'm not going to win any style or gear contests out there, but if it does what i need it to do, that's good enough for me.

Sovi
10-05-2017, 03:43
I have an Osprey antigravity pack. The antigravity thing didn't work.
The He balloons concept is interesting. How about hydrogen?
Doing some quick research a helium balloon of about 11 feet in diameter should lift 25 pounds.
Hydrogen about a foot smaller.

Only problem now is to fit that balloon under the trees and through the squeeze :)

Pastor Bryon
10-05-2017, 08:12
$20 people. All of your well intentioned suggestions cost $100s of dollars.
Wayne

This. $20 for a pack and $500 to put towards gas and supplies towards 5 section hikes is better than $500 for a kit and $20 for an overnight.

A handful of section hikes and you start to dial in your style, your wants, what you can go without, etc. Then you can start to be specific with your purchases, find them used in many cases, and enjoy the journey and process as well!

cmoulder
10-05-2017, 09:07
Experience is the best teacher and misery is the best motivator.

A single 2000 ft climb with a 50 lb pack will yield a lot of insights. Add crappy weather and true enlightenment will be attained. :)

taylorshiver
10-05-2017, 09:16
Haha, and this pack will just make me appreciate the lighter ones one I get bitten by the bug.

Another Kevin
10-05-2017, 13:24
As long as your gear is light enough that its weight doesn't put you off hiking entirely, and good enough to be reasonably safe, then get out there and hike! When you have the money, you'll have a better idea of what you want.

I still have a Big Heavy Pack. I occasionally break it out for winter trips because it won't kill my back once I've loaded it down with all the winter gear. I got it for $70, new, at an REI garage sale. Only thing wrong with it was a busted waistbelt buckle that was easy enough to replace.

And I have a Middle-of-the-Road Pack. (Granite Gear Crown - the guys here tell me that's Way Too Heavy, but I see a lot of packs in its size and weight class on the trail!) that comes with me on most trips.

I don't yet have the Ultralight and Ultrafiddly Pack because at this point I wouldn't get enough use out of it. That would be totally different if I did long-distance hikes in warm weather. I don't. The tradeoffs are different if you're planning to use it every day for several months. I'm not.

For some time, all I had was the Big Heavy Pack. I had a lot of fun Out There. I have the Middle-of-the-Road pack because I was given an REI gift certificate, and it appeared to be the most suitable pack I could get for the money at REI. I did a lot of hiking with the compression straps cinched in.

And don't think that ultralight has to mean ultra-expensive. Check out Mark Henley's gear list (http://blog.gossamergear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Ultracheap_Henley.pdf). I'm really fond of that one, because I read through it and say, "yeah, that'd work." That list doesn't suit my hiking style, and he needs to add a trowel, dammit, but a cheapskate hiker can take that list as a working minimum and then consciously build up from it to a kit that works for them, rather than starting from a less functional and more expensive point and trying to pare down.