PDA

View Full Version : Trail Markings North of Killington, VT and Guthooks App

Gootstizz
09-29-2017, 08:46
Was watching Early Riser's video in this area..Trail was very difficult to see. He was saying if he wasn't using Guthooks App, he would've gotten lost several times. Anyone have any experience in this area of the trail? Comments on Guthooks App and how its able to keep you on track?

JC13
09-29-2017, 08:52
No experience with that area as of yet but I do have exp with Guthooks. It uses GPS to keep a track of your location in relation to the trail. It runs in airplane mode as well so that you consume less power by keeping the phone from pinging for a signal. So if you happened to make a wrong turn or get off trail, you should be able to use it to get you back to the trail. Might not be the exact spot you came off but at least you could find the trail again.

ScottTrip
09-29-2017, 08:55
I did not use any GPS type of app on the trail during my hike just my AWOL Guide and follow the blazes. There are a few places that it can getg confusing but I never was "lost".

Gootstizz
09-29-2017, 09:01
I did not use any GPS type of app on the trail during my hike just my AWOL Guide and follow the blazes. There are a few places that it can getg confusing but I never was "lost".

I guess I should've mentioned that you could not make out any blazes in the video...they may have been very faint. Early Riser 71 Day 86 if you want to check it out...

Sarcasm the elf
09-29-2017, 09:04
I hiked Manchester Center to Woodstock last July and had zero problems finding the trail. It was well worn and well marked. I even nighthiked a good portion of it.

There are some worn in braided trails directly on and near the summit of killington thanks to all the tourists wandering around from the ski lodge, but that wasn't a result of lack of blazing.

hikernutcasey
09-29-2017, 10:13
Was watching Early Riser's video in this area..Trail was very difficult to see. He was saying if he wasn't using Guthooks App, he would've gotten lost several times. Anyone have any experience in this area of the trail? Comments on Guthooks App and how its able to keep you on track?I just got back from a section hike from Killington to Franconia Notch and I had no trouble finding the trail in this area. Maybe a time or two the blazes were faint or I wasn't sure about a side trail being the real trail or not but these were very few and easily corrected by looking around to make sure I was on the right path.

Interestingly, while we were out there we heard others grumbling about the lack of markings as well but the trail was very discernable in my opinion and we had no real trouble. Just need to pay attention and you will be fine.

D2maine
09-29-2017, 20:38
Was watching Early Riser's video in this area..Trail was very difficult to see. He was saying if he wasn't using Guthooks App, he would've gotten lost several times. Anyone have any experience in this area of the trail? Comments on Guthooks App and how its able to keep you on track?

he went through there early in the spring, the trail is harder to see then because the tredway is covered with last years leaf litter.

moldy
09-30-2017, 07:40
Guthook, like a map or a compass and signs and white blazes are all considered "aids to navigation". It can help you find the trail when you lose it. Losing the trail even though briefly is a daily event for long distance hikers. If you hike 15 or 20 miles a day you have to go pretty quick and over that 10 or 12 hours your mind drifts and you miss the indicators and clues. Numerous times each day you will stop in your tracks, and say, "which way do I go?" It might be a fork in the trail, a creek crossing, a place where 4 wheelers have used the AT, it might be one of those places where the blazing is poor or missing. If we are alone, our brain goes into the "find the trail mode", with others we might spread out until someone finds the trail. The trick is to pay attention to all the clues, to be willing to stop and be willing to go back. No app has been invented to replace our brain. We use the aids to navigation and find the clues. Finding your way is half the fun of hiking.

MuddyWaters
09-30-2017, 09:02
Its usually side trails to overlooks, rocky outcrops, camp sites, that wander around. Whenever Ive realized that something wasnt a main trail in retrospect it was easy to see. I simply wasnt paying close attention first time. Even stepping across limbs blocking trail without noticing.

Even gps wont always tell you which way to go . It doesnt always match base trail map . It may show you not on any trail, when your on one. If its close to an intersection it will leave you confused. Ive had to go 1/4 mile down trail after intersection to see if really on right direction or not using guthook.

Hikingjim
09-30-2017, 09:04
he went through there early in the spring, the trail is harder to see then because the tredway is covered with last years leaf litter.

I agree that it was 90% this. Everything starts to look the same with a bunch of brown leaves

rafe
09-30-2017, 10:03
Twas a long time ago but I recall no special issues in that neighborhood with regard to trail blazing or signage.

I did take an unexpected, spurious roadwalk a several miles south there, on the day I left the Inn (Rte. 4).

Lots of folks swear by Guthook. I haven't used it myself.