PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini water filter

The_John_Muir_Way
09-29-2017, 20:37
Hey guys, I have both of these filters and I wanted to share some of my thoughts on them.

Similarities:
Both weight about 2 ounces
small and packable
great for day hikes

Differences:
The Sawyer Mini offers better filtration
The Sawyer can filter a lot more water over the course of it's life

BeFree's flow rate is really fast, 2 liters per minute
Can be packed as one cohesive piece, the filter sits inside the water bladder
I like the material they used for the water bladder, it's some type of silicone
Easy to clean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRXqiezBKyY

The_John_Muir_Way
09-29-2017, 20:41
I forget to add my conclusion.

I think the BeFree is good for day hikers, trail runners, and mountain bikers who can trust the water is relatively clean and want filtered water quickly.

For hiking into the back-country, questionable water quality, and those who like the longer life- 100,000 gallons.

Hope that helps anyone who's looking at both models.

TexasBob
09-29-2017, 21:44
.......The Sawyer Mini offers better filtration.......

.......I think the BeFree is good for day hikers, trail runners, and mountain bikers who can trust the water is relatively clean........

They are both 0.1 micron filters and should do an equal job at removing bacteria and protozoa.

Venchka
09-29-2017, 22:09
BeFree and Hydrapak 2 liter reservoir.
A winning combination. No question.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
09-29-2017, 22:27
How many people will ever filter 100,000 gallons? How do we know this is true?
The housing of the Mini could fall apart long before the 100,000 gallons. Or a new filter technology arrives.
In the Sawyer scheme of things, the Squeeze is the preferred filter.
Or was before the BeFree arrived.
Wayne

saltysack
09-29-2017, 22:41
How many people will ever filter 100,000 gallons? How do we know this is true?
The housing of the Mini could fall apart long before the 100,000 gallons. Or a new filter technology arrives.
In the Sawyer scheme of things, the Squeeze is the preferred filter.
Or was before the BeFree arrived.
Wayne

My only gripe is the BeFree doesn't fit any water bottles for WHEN the bag blows out...I guess you'd have to carry a back up bag....mini is slow but I don't mind taking a longer break to filter every few hours....god knows I need a break! Also I'm cheap and just replaced my 2l evernew....maybe next time I'll give it a shot...

Maineiac64
09-29-2017, 22:43
I carry the included bag and 2l hydrapak as venchka mentioned, built in backup. Works spectacularly.

saltysack
09-29-2017, 22:51
Sounds like a good plan...

Venchka
09-30-2017, 04:15
I tend to be far enough back in the mountains that NOT filtering is a very viable option in case something goes wrong. Been doing it since before filters. I'm still alive and never sick.
Wayne

Venchka
09-30-2017, 04:20
Earlier this month I was in the Wind River Range. Filtering for 2 at a stream crossing. A pleasant break. Pack off. 2 liters each through the BeFree. Maybe 15-20 minutes total? A nice break. Not work at all.
Wayne

Venchka
09-30-2017, 04:36
This was the spot:

"Dan's feet are sore he's yearning for
Just one thing more than water, cool, water
Like me I guess he'd like to rest
Where there's no quest for water, cool, clear, water"
Sons of the Pioneers

Fish Creek. A most welcome sight after crossing Fish Creek Meadows on a hot afternoon.
A trail runs through it. A perfect water and rest stop before Dads Lake.

Wayne

jjozgrunt
09-30-2017, 05:16
I'm a fan of the squeeze over the mini, better water flow in my opinion. If you have a bottle with a smart water bottle flip lid it fits perfectly over the squeeze to back wash it.

Venchka
09-30-2017, 06:06
Back flushing.
Sawyer - Of course.
BeFree - Not at all.
Wayne

SWODaddy
09-30-2017, 07:15
Back flushing.
Sawyer - Of course.
BeFree - Not at all.
Wayne

I've read / heard lots of reports of people having the flow rate on their befree slow way down, or even become unusable, after relatively little use.

I think it's partially due to not being able to back flush. I wonder if anyone has asked Katadyn whether it's advisable to rig it for backflush via a tornado tube (or similar) and an evernew bag (or similar)

Venchka
09-30-2017, 10:19
Not from me. Operator error? Filtering sludge?
To be fair, the gallons of water that I filtered didn't really need filtering.
I did the swish thing a couple times. I didn't notice any slow down.
I'm always skeptical of internet bashing which is 180 degrees out of sync with my experience and the company claims.
YMMV.
Wayne

Venchka
09-30-2017, 10:45
First of all, a quick search failed to turn up "lots of reports" regarding slow or unusable flow rates.
Secondly, I found this at Backpackinglight:
"I went 4 months without using my BeFree filter. During that time, the filter sat on my gear table. When I tested the filter last week prior to leaving for a trip, the flow rate was extremely slow (practically unusable). Doing a shake and swish did not help. I put the filter in a glass of water and let it soak for 24 hours and the flow rate returned to normal. It worked great for my 4 day trip

Something similar happened to a friend’s Sawyer filter when he stored it for several months. And he fixed it by soaking it in water. Just a heads up to test your filter after storage."
As for the chemical taste of the Seeker bottle, a non-issue for me.
I think that we may have become a nation of germ-o-phobes and uber picky about far too many things.
Editorial comments over.
I filtered water with the BeFree for several people over a two week period. We're all still healthy and alive.
Wayne

SWODaddy
09-30-2017, 11:48
Not from me. Operator error? Filtering sludge?
To be fair, the gallons of water that I filtered didn't really need filtering.
I did the swish thing a couple times. I didn't notice any slow down.
I'm always skeptical of internet bashing which is 180 degrees out of sync with my experience and the company claims.
YMMV.
Wayne

Glad it's worked great for you using it for two weeks. That's one small data point.

My wife has one that's slowed down after three trips. That's another data point.

There's also reviews on BPL as you pointed out, and reddit. There's also a review on YouTube (can't find it at the moment) where someone does a side by side comparison of used and new Sawyer filters.

I'm always skeptical of internet white knighting by folks defending their latest piece of gear.

Like I said, my suspicion is that the "swish" cleaning is (or can be) inadequate.

MuddyWaters
09-30-2017, 11:52
I used a mini for 300 miles this yr.
I reckon I lost 1 hr per day of hiking to time spent filtering water. A full size sawyer could cut that to 20 min prob. A couple more mpd. Over a few weeks...it can amount to extra day on trail.

Aint all about ozs

SWODaddy
09-30-2017, 11:59
Here we go. Flow rate reduced to a third (and half as fast as the sawyer squeeze) after 100Ls filtered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rujqQVW3kWU

To be fair, he still likes it - but he bought a new filter for a longer trip.

Venchka
09-30-2017, 12:06
I do agree with the people who said that filling the HydraPak 2 liter bottle was easy in shallow water. Granted, I was filling from gently flowing streams, but they were only a few inches deep.
Theoretically, pushing water out of the HydraPak, through the filter and into a second container wasted time. I'll have to see if I can just drink straight from the filter on the HydraPak. One more skill to master.
Believe it or don't, I have no complaints about the BeFree + HydraPak combination. However, it's still early in the association.
Wayne

saltysack
09-30-2017, 13:25
I used a mini for 300 miles this yr.
I reckon I lost 1 hr per day of hiking to time spent filtering water. A full size sawyer could cut that to 20 min prob. A couple more mpd. Over a few weeks...it can amount to extra day on trail.

Aint all about ozs

Good point!

Venchka
09-30-2017, 13:44
Good point!

It's never only about just the ounces. Anyone who only looks at ounces is foolish.
Obviously I was more than pleased to leave an average of a pound each of pump filters behind.
Now if HydraPak would just install a vent in their soft bottles. Please!
Wayne

saltysack
09-30-2017, 14:03
It's never only about just the ounces. Anyone who only looks at ounces is foolish.
Obviously I was more than pleased to leave an average of a pound each of pump filters behind.
Now if HydraPak would just install a vent in their soft bottles. Please!
Wayne

I've been happy with the several Sawyer filters I've been through....other than the bag issue which I feel is more of the mini issue as it has a slower rate and I probably use to much force...I'm not a gram weenie but am a minimalist.

Venchka
09-30-2017, 22:45
This was the spot:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/81b9badea5cc6e2c5db8a00b74c6b1a3.jpg
Fish Creek trail crossing and waterhole.
Wayne

The_John_Muir_Way
10-01-2017, 03:09
I noticed that too, but on their websites they had different numbers.

BeFree vs Mini
Protozoa 99.99% vs 99.9999%
Bacteria 99.9999% vs 99.99999%

Venchka
10-01-2017, 15:36
How many decimal places do we really need?
Are there any waterborne disease fatality rates for pre-filter days?
I think that the near hysterical water filtration/sterilization mania is born of folks fretting over imagined gloom and doom.
Like the recent phone ruggedization thread.
Chill Y'all.
I recently had an opportunity to ponder what it might have felt like to cross part of Wyoming on the Oregon Trail. I think the original travelers watched the same horizon for days. Perhaps weeks. If/when they found water they weren't terribly particular about the quality.
Wayne

theinfamousj
10-02-2017, 09:00
I have heard rumors that REI has a bespoke BeFree edition with a 1L container, which is the whole reason I am getting one. 0.6 L is useless to me. I drink more than that in a dinner table drinking glass.

I have also heard there is a 3L REI only container.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Venchka
10-02-2017, 09:10
No need for speculation or rumors. They are both listed online at REI.com as I type this.
Wayne

theinfamousj
10-02-2017, 09:12
No need for speculation or rumors. They are both listed online at REI.com as I type this.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBest news of my morning, so far!

The bad news is that clearly my ability to navigate the REI website is not up to par for the Millennial I am supposed to be.

TexasBob
10-02-2017, 16:15
Here we go. Flow rate reduced to a third (and half as fast as the sawyer squeeze) after 100Ls filtered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rujqQVW3kWU
To be fair, he still likes it - but he bought a new filter for a longer trip.

Good video. He mentioned in the video that he did not clean the BeFree filter until he noticed a slow flow rate but did not say how many liters he used it before that slow flow started he only gave the total number of liters of use. I wonder if the Befree needs more regular cleaning than a Sawyer to maintain a good flow rate. In other words, if you cleaned the filter every 2 or 3 days would it maintain its flow rate?

Odd Man Out
10-02-2017, 16:18
Best news of my morning, so far!

The bad news is that clearly my ability to navigate the REI website is not up to par for the Millennial I am supposed to be.

Don't feel bad. Your ability to use the word "bespoke" has most Millennials beat by a kilometer.

Venchka
10-02-2017, 16:45
Best news of my morning, so far!

Lol. Fossils rule?
I have the app on my phone.
The search phrase BeFree 1 liter and/or BeFree 3 liter returns all you mentioned.
The HydraPak 2 liter bottle is most handy as well.
Wayne

Venchka
10-02-2017, 16:56
Good video. He mentioned in the video that he did not clean the BeFree filter until he noticed a slow flow rate but did not say how many liters he used it before that slow flow started he only gave the total number of liters of use. I wonder if the Befree needs more regular cleaning than a Sawyer to maintain a good flow rate. In other words, if you cleaned the filter every 2 or 3 days would it maintain its flow rate?

The swishing and shaking is so intuitive and easy, every time would not be to laborious or annoying.
Then there's the method used to expel the water through the BeFree filter. AND did the filter sit for any period of time? This seems to cause a temporary slow down until you get the filter primed and warmed up.
I also just realized that I've been using mine with a restrictive sport cap in place of the fragile factory flip top cap. I'll fire up without the protective push-pull cap and evaluate flow.
Last but not least, I use a fold and roll method to push water through the HydraPak and filter.
Wayne

Venchka
10-02-2017, 17:20
Don't feel bad. Your ability to use the word "bespoke" has most Millennials beat by a kilometer.

Agreed. Kudos!
You deserve a "Dope!" for using bespoke correctly.
[emoji106][emoji1][emoji41]
Wayne

The_John_Muir_Way
10-03-2017, 00:53
The swishing and shaking is so intuitive and easy, every time would not be to laborious or annoying.
Then there's the method used to expel the water through the BeFree filter. AND did the filter sit for any period of time? This seems to cause a temporary slow down until you get the filter primed and warmed up.
I also just realized that I've been using mine with a restrictive sport cap in place of the fragile factory flip top cap. I'll fire up without the protective push-pull cap and evaluate flow.
Last but not least, I use a fold and roll method to push water through the HydraPak and filter.
Wayne

You're a wealth of info, thanks for the insight!

Venchka
10-03-2017, 05:14
You're a wealth of info, thanks for the insight!

You're welcome. When I get to banging my fingers on this phone I never know if I'm being helpful or just taking up space.
Working out a hanging solution for the HydraPak bottle is in the back of my brain.
Glad I can help.
Wayne

scrabbler
10-03-2017, 10:22
Did any of you notice a fairly strong plastic taste to the water? Does it eventually go away?

Venchka
10-03-2017, 16:37
Did any of you notice a fairly strong plastic taste to the water? Does it eventually go away?
I keep reading about that. I didn't notice anything from the HydraPak bottle. There are instructions for making it go away. Lemon juice and freezing water. Soap & water. Maybe I'm not a Hypersensitive Millennial?
Wayne

scrabbler
10-03-2017, 17:03
I keep reading about that. I didn't notice anything from the HydraPak bottle. There are instructions for making it go away. Lemon juice and freezing water. Soap & water. Maybe I'm not a Hypersensitive Millennial?
Wayne

I dont see anything like those instructions on the literature that came with the filter. This was with the 1L sized bag, so maybe it's isolated to those? I dont know, but after 3 days of it not going away, it's getting returned. Kayadyn should wash them out with lemon juice and freezing water before shipping if that's the fix. Did flow fast though, I'll give it that.

Venchka
10-03-2017, 18:42
Is this the new REI bottle? My information is about the HydraPak bottles.
Baking soda soaking has been known to reduce/remove tastes. Vinegar?
Really, how bad is it?
Are you doing anything to remove the taste?

scrabbler
10-03-2017, 21:00
Is this the new REI bottle? My information is about the HydraPak bottles. Baking soda soaking has been known to reduce/remove tastes. Vinegar? Really, how bad is it? Are you doing anything to remove the taste?
It's not so bad that I didnt drink the water, but it was noticeable, and if I had my choice I would prefer it didnt taste like that. Never have I used a filter that injected a plastic taste to the water.
My guess is that the taste of plastic is some sort of leeched chemical, and also going to guess it's better to not have it.
I didnt try anything at all to remove the taste since I was in the field and really had nothing to try. Yes this was purchased at REI and is the 1L size.
It's going back to REI tomorrow. I liked it in form and function, but at $45, it shouldn't require me to work on it to get rid of chemical tastes.
Seems like something they should be able to do at the factory level.

The_John_Muir_Way
10-04-2017, 11:58
I have the 1L bottle too and didn't taste plastic. Try Venchka's suggestions, that's what I do. in the past with other products, I would let the item soak in water over night, change the water and repeat that a few times. hope that helps.

Offshore
10-04-2017, 12:53
Maybe I'm not a Hypersensitive Millennial?
Wayne

Sounds more like a crabby early boomer.

Venchka
10-04-2017, 13:25
Sounds more like a crabby early boomer.

I guess. I wouldn’t know.
Wayne

Venchka
10-05-2017, 05:46
REI Garage:
HydraPak 1 liter soft bottles. On sale. $10.73 each.
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/126891/hydrapak-seeker-1l-collapsible-water-container-1-liter

Wayne

scrabbler
10-05-2017, 10:24
REI Garage:
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/126891/hydrapak-seeker-1l-collapsible-water-container-1-liter
Wayne

Dont forget your lemons, vinegar, baking soda, and to make room in the freezer. :-)

Venchka
10-05-2017, 11:18
I have had Zero problems with the HydraPak 2 liter bottle.
Apparently there must be different products out there. The no nonsense version I have. Or the problem ridden version that a few folks have.
Go figure.
Wayne

The_John_Muir_Way
10-07-2017, 01:27
REI Garage:

Wayne

Thanks for the heads up! We don't earn dividend points from Garage items do we?

Venchka
10-07-2017, 20:16
My final answer!
I finally got around to cleaning my BeFree Filter and HydraPak 2 liter soft bottle day before yesterday. The unit had been sitting in my garage since I returned from Wyoming approximately September 13 or 14, 2017.
I removed the filter and ran hot soapy water through the bottle. Followed by 3-4 vigorous flushings with plain water. Drained the bottle and asked my wife if she noticed any "plastic, rubber, chemical smells in the bottle?"
My wife has a nose like a bloodhound. Her response: "I don't smell anything. No odor at all."
The only liquids to ever be in the bottle are tap water at home or water from free flowing streams in the Holy Cross and Bridger Wilderness areas in Colorado and Wyoming.
After cleaning, and for the first time in almost a month, I filled the 2 liter bottle. Swirled, Swished, Shook and then squeezed the 2 liters out at maximum flow.
No loss of flow from sitting in my garage for almost a month. No chemical odors. No lemon juice or baking soda or freezing water. Just fresh clean water.
The BeFree filter and HydraPak 2 liter bottle work for me.
YMMV.
Wayne