PDA

View Full Version : ZPacks only making 3 temp bags now?

pafarmboy1
09-30-2017, 11:32
Just received a 30 degree bag I ordered from Zpacks a month ago. Scale puts it at 15.9 oz (which is pretty awesome!) but remembered specs saying it should be 15.4. Pulled up the website (http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml) and a 30 degree bag isn't even offered anymore. ???? Only 35/20/5 degree options.

Just wondering if anyone knows why they scaled back?

Venchka
09-30-2017, 12:14
They seem to be limiting most of their production. Custom and special orders may be gone.
They grew up? Business realities set in? They have to make the new plant pay for itself. It's the real world now.
Speaking of real world...
900 fill power down is a mirage.
16 ounces of down and 3" of loft won't get you to 5 degrees reliably.
Smoke and mirrors.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soumodeler
09-30-2017, 14:59
They definitely changed in the recent past. It used to be 10, 20, 30, and 40 degrees. I don't remember them posting about a change on any social media.

Venchka, you also need to remember that these are quilts, so there is less material. 3" is in the range for a 5 degree bag based on the chart I found online. My ZPacks 40 degree is pretty spot on in terms of temp rating, so I see no reason this one should be any different. Although I remember your obvious dislike for ZPacks from prior posts, so I'll take it with a grain of salt :)

Venchka
09-30-2017, 15:21
3" loft is borderline for a warm sleeper and lots of supplemental clothing. No margin for error.
Wayne

Venchka
09-30-2017, 17:58
I don't have a problem with Joe's take on a sleeping bag. If people can make it work, more power to them.
I prefer a full feature bag.
It's all good.
Wayne

Storm27m
10-08-2017, 01:21
But you do appear to have a dislike for quilts in general because you seem to feel too need your negative opinions about them in every post possible...just an observation

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

cmoulder
10-08-2017, 06:19
I honestly feel I could make anything work, quilt or bag, and while I'm a shameless (and relentless, lol) Zpacks fanboy I prefer the design of EE quilts, and I am sure I'd be fine with the other quilts that use a similar or identical strap system, which works great for me and a lot of other 'rotisserie' sleepers.

But if 35/20/5 aren't enough choices, there are 42 bazillion other options. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Venchka
10-08-2017, 07:24
But you do appear to have a dislike for quilts in general because you seem to feel too need your negative opinions about them in every post possible...just an observation

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

That was the old me.
Wayne