PDA

View Full Version : Tent Size on the AT

2009ThruHiker
02-05-2006, 15:26
I am ready to purchase my tent for the thru hike, and I'm leaning heavily on the blackdiamond skylight. My concern is the size of the tent, especially the 69" width. Can anyone tell me if pitching a tent this large will be a problem anywhere along the AT...for example in the Whites where they have designated spaces for the tents? Thanks!

Roland
02-05-2006, 15:37
I am ready to purchase my tent for the thru hike, and I'm leaning heavily on the blackdiamond skylight. My concern is the size of the tent, especially the 69" width. Can anyone tell me if pitching a tent this large will be a problem anywhere along the AT...for example in the Whites where they have designated spaces for the tents? Thanks!
You'll get lots of opinions on this. Some may even recommend a different tent model, or even a hammock. You know who you are. :rolleyes:

For comparisons, consider this. Tarptents are very popular on the AT. The Squall is 78" wide. The Cloudburst is 70" wide.

Sure, there will be places where your tent will be snug, but you'll be fine.

Peaks
02-05-2006, 17:57
I suspect that most tent platforms are sized for 4 man tents or better. Sometimes they put two tents on a single platform if it's crowded. Shouldn't be a problem setting up a wide tent.

Footslogger
02-05-2006, 18:02
In general I would say the smaller the better. You can always get off the beaten path and find a spot to pitch a tent though, regardless of it's size. The more important question is how much tent do you really need and how heavy of a tent are you willing to carry.

The rest is details and you'll make it up along the way ...

'Slogger

Singe03
02-05-2006, 18:26
Can I be the first to recommend a hammock?

Generally size = weight so I will say the smaller the better within the limits of comfort (if your a bigger person, you will of course want a larger tent). I used a MSR Zoid 1 (a couple years old, its not the new pointy Zoid 1) and was really thrilled with it.

I'm relatively small (5'8, average build) and the Zoid let me get almost everything comfortably inside with me, soggy boots, soaked clothes and wet, pack stayed in the Vestibule.

A month or so in, I got my hammock, sent the tent home and never regretted it for a second until I picked the tent up again in Hanover.

simplehiker
02-06-2006, 02:02
If you are not thru-hiking until 2008 I would hold off on buying a dedicated tent you will sill be using 2 years from now. Tents wear out, pole elastic gets loose etc etc. Tent design and price has seen crazy advancement in the last 8 years. Newer, lighter, cheaper, more versatile designs are coming out all the time. I would get something your happy and comfortable with now and worry about buying a shelter for your 2008 thru-hike in the fall of 07 or spring of 08.

Maybe you will be more comfortable with a tarp by that time... maybe you will have more money for a better tent... all kinds of things could happen.